Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 "We" and the fake fans

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
I HATE CROSBY Posted - 02/17/2007 : 19:11:07
I have large issues with fans saying "We" when referring to their favorite team. I'll admit there are exceptions, like someone who watches their team every time it's possible for them to see them, or other extremes, but that's not the typical viewer who quotes the "we" term. Maybe I'm just really annoyed since I live in a city full of FAKE hockey fans. So tell me your worst encounter with a fake fan, I'd love to hear it, and make sure to include which city it was in. Some day I'll say mine, I just need to think.

I HATE CROSBY
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
guinman Posted - 02/24/2007 : 23:24:02
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

It is my personal preferance that the Cup comes back to Canada. If my Oilers are out then I will cheer for the Canadian teams left in the playoffs. Why should I be faulted for that?? And the guy who made the point towads how many Lightning player were Canadians. Well, my answer to that is how many Lightning Fans in Tampa a Canadian?? The game if for the fans too, and as much as I would love to see the Cup in Edmonton, I would much rather see it in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa, or Calgary than ANY American city for the fans!!!

I got no problem with that Beans.....my beef is all of the questioning of why someone would cheer for an American team over a Canadian one (assuming neither team is a personal favourite) because one team is Canadian. Like I'm weird to cheer for a U.S. team. Hell most of the players are Canadian anyways. I think if I happen to hate the Canadian team that made it to the dance then what's wrong with that? I think it's just as valid as saying that you'd like to see the cup stay in Canada. I mean, like I want to see a Canadian team I hate with the cup! - like that's gonna make me happy!

Ripley Posted - 02/21/2007 : 23:36:31
quote:
Originally posted by PuckNuts

All children when born, are either Montreal or Toronto Fans...

When they are not happy with the way the teams are going, they search for the team that last won the Cup, and BANGO you are a fan...of that team...

LOL!!!! that's shameless pucknutless. Shameless but funny
tctitans Posted - 02/21/2007 : 23:26:48
quote:
Originally posted by PuckNuts

When they are not happy with the way the teams are going, they search for the team that last won the Cup, and BANGO you are a fan...of that team...

This typical COTU opinion is the main reason there are so many leaf-haters out there... ;)
PuckNuts Posted - 02/21/2007 : 23:04:59

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright, until they speak...
Beans15 Posted - 02/21/2007 : 08:58:38
It is my personal preferance that the Cup comes back to Canada. If my Oilers are out then I will cheer for the Canadian teams left in the playoffs. Why should I be faulted for that?? And the guy who made the point towads how many Lightning player were Canadians. Well, my answer to that is how many Lightning Fans in Tampa a Canadian?? The game if for the fans too, and as much as I would love to see the Cup in Edmonton, I would much rather see it in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa, or Calgary than ANY American city for the fans!!!
guinman Posted - 02/20/2007 : 23:36:07
quote:
Originally posted by pucker

This is a great topic. I am a die hard canucks fan and while in University in Victoria, the Flames made their run to the finals. Of the 100 classmates, I dont believe any were from Calgary. Many From Eastern Canada, Yukon, etc. So a bunch of us (like 30) religiously watched the playoffs (and drank beer) together and of all of us, only myself and two other guys were cheering fro the Lightning to win. We were accused of not cheering for our country...

Since when is Calgary my country? I hate the Flames.

Same goes the following year. Oilers in the Final, I hate the Oilers. Why is everyone around me cheering for them? I am in Vancouver right? Ryan Smyth is a great player - I respect his abilities and would love to have him on my team. Do I want to see him hoisting the cup wearing an Oilers jersey...Hell No.

I refer to the Canucks as MY team, and do say WE a lot. That is usually when I am talking to other die hard Canucks fans. I went to one game this season, and while walking around GM place I couldnt get over how many suits were standing around shmoozing with other suits, having drinks, and basically being a bunch of fake fans. I wanted to kick them all in the nuts. It actually bothered me so much that I would rather stay home and watch the game rather than have to deal with these punks.

I'm with you on that one. Lightning all the way. The "your not cheering for your country" thing is retarded. How many Canadian kids play on the Lightning? I didn't like Calgary beating Vancouver - how the hell could I cheer for the flames? I guess I'm just a bitter person. I've always cheered for the team that beats the team that beat my team.....every time!
tctitans Posted - 02/20/2007 : 12:19:18
quote:
Originally posted by slapshot

UHHHH... tctitans, you seem to be arguing that fake fans are fine and then again 5 minutes later that they are not...

Take your meds dude, you are confusing me.

I never said that periphial fans are fine. I said that they exist, and will always exist, so we must accept that. Even with this however, they don't bother me much. What does really bother me is that going to the game is getting futher and further out of reach for the real fans.
slapshot Posted - 02/20/2007 : 11:56:39
UHHHH... tctitans, you seem to be arguing that fake fans are fine and then again 5 minutes later that they are not...

Take your meds dude, you are confusing me.
tctitans Posted - 02/20/2007 : 10:57:23
quote:
Originally posted by pucker

This is a great topic. I am a die hard canucks fan and while in University in Victoria, the Flames made their run to the finals. Of the 100 classmates, I dont believe any were from Calgary. Many From Eastern Canada, Yukon, etc. So a bunch of us (like 30) religiously watched the playoffs (and drank beer) together and of all of us, only myself and two other guys were cheering fro the Lightning to win. We were accused of not cheering for our country...

Same goes the following year. Oilers in the Final, I hate the Oilers. Why is everyone around me cheering for them? I am in Vancouver right? Ryan Smyth is a great player - I respect his abilities and would love to have him on my team. Do I want to see him hoisting the cup wearing an Oilers jersey...Hell No.

I refer to the Canucks as MY team, and do say WE a lot. That is usually when I am talking to other die hard Canucks fans. I went to one game this season, and while walking around GM place I couldnt get over how many suits were standing around shmoozing with other suits, having drinks, and basically being a bunch of fake fans. I wanted to kick them all in the nuts. It actually bothered me so much that I would rather stay home and watch the game rather than have to deal with these punks.

hear hear pucker!! I'm in completly agreement with you. completely.

(unfortunately, in this corporate sponsored day-and-age, it's not the real sports fans that
get to go to the games for their teams.. Money talks...)
tctitans Posted - 02/20/2007 : 10:52:48
There are bandwagon fans in every city in ever sport... and that ain't gonna change - get used to it. But that doesnt make them 'fake'. They are periphial fans, not hard-core, and it's as simple as that.

I know you can fly off the handle and get a little irrational IHC, but just because you think that Vancouver has a lot of periphial fans, doesnt make it a fact. I truely respect the fans in Vancouver who have had more than their share of following and supporting their team through hard times. There have been only a handful of years where the Canucks have electrified the city with decent playoff runs, but even thou these have been few and far between, the fans have kept up the base of support and is a complete hockey city.

As for Leaf fans, I must say that most of the ones I know are pretty hard-core on the outside. Funny thing is that they don't usually follow too closely or know very much about hockey in-depth. Unfortunately I find them the largest group of uneducated hockey fans out their, but that's part of their culture. I'm of course not saying all Leaf fans are like this (because there are certainly tons out there where this doesnt apply), but they certainly stand out as the team that has the largest contingency of fanatical hockey-illiterate supporters out there.

leigh Posted - 02/20/2007 : 10:51:54
I came from a small town in a province with no hockey team. So when I moved to Vancouver it was the first time I encountered the "we" phenomenon. It made me laugh pretty hard at first, then i got annoyed, then i tried to ignore it, and then I slowly began understanding it. It's ownership, it's an "us against them" attitude and sports brings that out of people. So while I rarely say it (guilty on occasion - Flames) I can appreciate it. It still makes me laugh though, especially if I do it. Good topic IHC.

As for fake fans, some of the comments above are a little lame. The definition of a fan is a "FANatic", meaning crazy and emotional. Which could explain why they flip flop on what they say. Don't forget that you don't have to be a student of the GAME itself to be a fan of your team. And every city has fringe fans, you know, fans that don't know what's going on. If the game is going to grow we have to let them discover it. So if that means having some band wagon jumpers and a few people who don't know squat then so be it. Eventually some of them will begin to bleed their team's colours and join our forums Not everyone was born with skates on. And with ticket prices the way they are it makes it difficult for all people to see the game. I suppose you could label them if you want but don't piss all over them.
pucker Posted - 02/20/2007 : 09:33:28

Guest2180 Posted - 02/20/2007 : 08:27:37
Being a Flames fan it's hard to write this but this town is full of "bandwagoners".

Not only are sold out seats left empty during games but I've overheard the most ridiculous conversations while walking to the dome to catch a game. "Who are WE playing tonight?" "How are WE doing this year in the standings?" Are you people joking!!! It's rare to find someone who can actually talk the game here.

And don't get me started on the RED Mile. Granted, watching your team make it to the finals while cheering amongst hundreds of bare boobs was great. But earlier that year the talk of the town was how bad the Flames suck, or if the team was going to stay another year. Then 2 rounds into the playoffs, everyone became the Flames' biggest fan. What a joke. It's not about hockey here anymore, it's about the bandwagon.

So all the old farts wearing Iginla jerseys and don't know who WE'RE playing tonight, stay home so I can walk down from the rafters and keep stealing your seats.

p.s. This is a great pool site, with great forums. Keep it up.
Novie Posted - 02/20/2007 : 05:50:23
quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

I think most ppl on this forum are solid fans.....You guys can use "we" all you want......Mik, if you go to Calgary, you'll see the biggest phonies ever, the flames used to put a tarp over parts of the top level of seats, so you wouldn't be able to see all the empties.

I hate to say it, but I totally agree, IHC. These Flames fans are driving me crazy. THey were running articles in November about how the Flames were going to miss the playoffs, now everybody is back on the bandwagon...and I do notice also that a lot of coverage mysteriously disappears when the 'Nucks take over first in the Northwest. Hmmm...weird.

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
Novie Posted - 02/20/2007 : 05:48:02
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

I use "we" sometimes but not too often. I find it's easy for it to slip out seen as I am the only person out of everyone I know that likes the Sharks.

You can add my wife to the list, Babs. Mike Rathje is her cousin, but she couldn't bring herself to cheer for the Flyers when he got traded. She insists that I was her second choice for marriage...second to Pat Marleau.

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
Beans15 Posted - 02/18/2007 : 12:20:40
I agree with Lyall, being from Edmonton there are a lot of bandwagon jumpers in this city. At least 50% of so called 'Oiler Fans" were not even born when the Oilers won their last Cup. Yet, they talk about how great the team was in the 80's and what a hero Ranford was in 90 as if they were on the ice skating with them. It is really is funny. Not only that, the year before the strike, you couldn't find two cars in the row in Edmonton that did not have a Flames flag hanging out of their windows. THE FLAMES!!! I will admit, I would have preferred the Cup to be in Canada, but I would NEVER, EVER put a Flames logo anywhere near me.

But to answer the original question about fake fans. I have personally not missed an Oilers game that was televised, PPV, or an un-televised home game in over 5 years. I go to as many games as I can afford and I contribute not only to the team, but to some of the charities the team supports. I bleed Copper and Blue. I used to bleed Orange and Blue. Most of today’s “Oiler Fans” were not alive for the Orange and Blue. I've got my Oilers Lance Armstrong type bracelet on 24/7 and my signed 8 X 10 Signed Gretzky glossy on the wall in the office. I am a fan.

And as for bad fan encounters, I was in Calgary a few weeks ago on business, and had the pleasure of watching the Flames lose to CBJ, while I was wearing my trust Oilers Cap and cheering for every Blue Jacket play. The best part of it was the Flames were up at one point during the game and all I heard from the table beside me was how the Flames were the best, and "The Cup's coming Home!" and all this crap. Then, CBJ scored back to back and win the game. Those exact same "fans" are then saying that Kipper would have won the game if he played, blaming the whole lose on McLennan, and that Sutter better do something to make the team better. Swear to God, same fans flipped that fast, during the same game!!! What a Joke!

A fan is a fan through thick and thin, not just when things are going right. Unless you are those fellas in Calgary.

PS-In the past, people have criticized me for being hard on Calgary fans. This opinion is not directed towards all Calgary fans, just the idiots that I have encountered personally. Some of you are good people, I just haven’t met you!
lyall Posted - 02/18/2007 : 11:00:26
quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

I have large issues with fans saying "We" when referring to their favorite team. I'll admit there are exceptions, like someone who watches their team every time it's possible for them to see them, or other extremes, but that's not the typical viewer who quotes the "we" term. Maybe I'm just really annoyed since I live in a city full of FAKE hockey fans. So tell me your worst encounter with a fake fan, I'd love to hear it, and make sure to include which city it was in. Some day I'll say mine, I just need to think.

I HATE CROSBY

I live in Edmonton & I'm am a huge Oilers fan. But during the playoff run the city was littered with bandwagon fan. Whyte ave was a huge joke. 90% of these clowns didn't care about hockey at all. They all just want to get drunk and act like idiots. There were huge fires in the middle of the streets, people swining from street lights.........This, in my opinion, has nothing to do with hockey. I'm assuming it was the same in Calgary the season before on "The Red Mile". Stupid bandwagon fans piss me off.
Canucks Man Posted - 02/18/2007 : 01:06:46
IHC there are many fake hockey fans in my school, last year when the oilers went on there playoff run, almost everyone turned into an oilers fan(I still hated them!!) why do u think vancouver has fake hockey fans? canucks fans support there team like crazy, just because when they had a bad teamsome ppl didnt go to games, every time a team slumps for a while that happens, including toronto

CANUCKS RULE!!
I HATE CROSBY Posted - 02/17/2007 : 23:30:40
I think most ppl on this forum are solid fans.....You guys can use "we" all you want......Mik, if you go to Calgary, you'll see the biggest phonies ever, the flames used to put a tarp over parts of the top level of seats, so you wouldn't be able to see all the empties..

This post is more about fake hockey fans...The types who magically showed up after Canada won gold at Salt Lake city...Did anyone else notice the added hype over hockey since then?

TSN covers WAY more hockey now then they ever did before.....Sportscenter used to be just that, SPORTScenter...Not hockey center with a couple football highlights come playoff time....CBC coming out with that "Hockey: a peoples history" show.....Only the Leafs and Habs were guarenteed sellouts pre-2002...Hockey wasn't as "popular" here in Canada if you didn't notice......It's just annoying. when the Red Wings were dominating in the late 90's, only the die hards were still talking hockey..So anyone (Canadian) over 18 on this forum who JUST started liking hockey after 2002, you can enjoy your band wagon, cause us you'll never be on this die hard wagon no matter how hard you pretend......And for any non-canadian hockey fans out there...You must be die hard, cause it's not easy to find a sports show that even shows hockey highlights.

I HATE CROSBY
bablaboushka Posted - 02/17/2007 : 20:09:53
I use "we" sometimes but not too often. I find it's easy for it to slip out seen as I am the only person out of everyone I know that likes the Sharks. Most people that know me, know that I am an avid Sharks fan, so those people basically associate the Sharks with me. Sometimes if we're having an NHL discussion, people might say something like "...your Sharks" or "your team" so sometimes I instinctively respond with a "Yes we're..." or "...we're doing well...".

I am as far from a fake fan of the Sharks as you can get. On my bedroom door I have a sign that says "San Jose Sharks Locker Room: Pass Required" that my parents bought me for X-mas (hehe), I sport my Sharks hat every day (if you see a half-white-mesh RBK hat that Thornton wears in post-game interviews, it's that one), I purchased a custom-made, authentic Patrick Marleau jersey that I wear to hockey practices (I'm a coach so the jersey won't get ruined). Anytime the Sharks play on TV, they get precedence over anything but when they aren't (which is 99% of the time), I listen to their games on NHL Radio (oh yeah, with the time difference, their home games and most games against West teams end around 1:30-2AM). Oh yeah, there's also all the intangible bragging and gloating...
Mikhailova Posted - 02/17/2007 : 19:31:10
What exactly is wrong with saying "we"?

The only city I've encountered hockey fans in is the one I live in, Ellicott City. Many of them are from Canada, one is from Minnesota. They're decent fans...not what I'd call "fake". The others just sort of go to high school games because their friends are on the team or because they think it's excitng...they don't follow the NHL or anything.

I went to Ohio recently and there are more hockey fans there than here in Maryland. I saw an OSU game and there were a lot of people there, but mainly just for school spirit, I don't know how many are really into hockey. When I go to the U of Minnesota, that'll change

I've been to other US cities but haven't seen any hockey fans. I guess if I had stayed in LA where I was born I'd never meet any...California and ice don't really mix. Thank goodness I moved when I was 2, lol

This summer I might be going to Calgary...I'll probably encounter tons of hockey fans up there

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page