Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 Joe Thornton's dirty!

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ultimatetitman Posted - 04/07/2007 : 16:08:43
I never realized just how cheap and dirty Joe Thronton is.
That charge on Cooke was massively dirty. He tried to take Cooke's head off!!! It was kind of ironic that he took the worst of it. Sadly, the truth is, if Cooke had done that to Thornton, he would have received, at the very least, a 5 minute major for boarding.
Jumping on Sedin's back in overtime wasn't terribly cheap, but complaining about it, saying he wasn't the reason Sedin fell was pathetic. I think most Vancouver fans took a bit of glee in the fact that Thronton's cheap penalty gave the Canucks the Northwest Division title.
His stickwork through out the game could easily have warranted 3 or 4 more penalties, and probably would have had Fraser not been wearing a Sharks jersey under the stripes.
I gotta say, I've always liked Joe Thronton, but I lost a lot of respect for him after this game.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sjtrufan Posted - 04/18/2007 : 16:35:02
I understand and you do have a valid point but i think it happens every night in some game. Most of the time no one intends to hurt anyone but it does happen. I think that actually defines a dirty player though a player that has no regard for any other player and wants to hurt them

Losers always whine about doing their best, Winners go home and F*** the Prom Queen - Sean Connery (The Rock)
ultimatetitman Posted - 04/18/2007 : 14:50:03
quote:
Originally posted by sjtrufan

you keep talking about one hit......this is hockey.....they happen.....if the hit was "dirty" so be it, that still doesn't make Thornton a dirty player....in fact nhl.com just published an article on how much of a nice guy Big Joe is on and off the ice. But hey if one hit is such a big deal maybe they shouldn't play hockey

I see what you are saying, and tend to agree to a point. But I feel that a blatant and intentional blow to the head is dirty. Such head shots should result in an automatic suspension, perhaps 1 game for the first, 5 for the second, and so on.
The reason I started this post was because Thornton, in my opinion, had been using his stick in a way that I'd always thought was very un-Thornton. Then, after all that, he charged at Matt Cooke, who was behind the goal line, and put almost all of his weight into Cooke's head. If Cooke had been nearer the boards, it could have been a serious concussion or injury.
That's all I meant.
sjtrufan Posted - 04/18/2007 : 05:35:25
you keep talking about one hit......this is hockey.....they happen.....if the hit was "dirty" so be it, that still doesn't make Thornton a dirty player....in fact nhl.com just published an article on how much of a nice guy Big Joe is on and off the ice. But hey if one hit is such a big deal maybe they shouldn't play hockey
PuckNuts Posted - 04/17/2007 : 21:32:58
Well I think all the players are dirty to a point, it is playoffs and you are on the edge, you will now do what you think it takes to win a game...

Paul Kariya was using his stick to slash, wack and chop at every player, he finally got caught, it cost the Predators...

As for Thornton, I am sure he gets his share of hacks, wacks and slashes, so when he dishes something out, get used to it...

There are: People that make things happen, people that watch things happen, and people that wonder what happened, who are you...
SlowShot Posted - 04/17/2007 : 19:07:13
A big man not being able to slow down at his size could be scary like the hit on cooke

Go Stars
sjtrufan Posted - 04/17/2007 : 14:30:09
I don't see how you can call Big Joe a dirty player based on one hit. The hit came a little late but sometimes it's just a little harder to slow down 6'4" and 235lbs. Backed to how I started this you can't judge a person based on one moment in time. Joe plays smart, deliberate, patient, hard hitting Hockey. He is a big guy and not afraid to throw it around. But at the same time he plays smart.He is one of the furthest players from being concidered dirty.
bablaboushka Posted - 04/08/2007 : 13:11:04
quote:
Originally posted by ultimatetitman

And to anyone who thinks the refs don't favour teams, clean your glasses. There is a mandate in the league to favour small market American teams, followed closely by all other American teams in order to give them an advantage, in hopes of generating a few more wins, thus "selling" the game down there. Then the bias goes to the Eastern Canadian teams, as that is where the $$$ is. There's no money out west, and the game is established, so they get the losing end of the equation.
Don't believe me? Watch a few playoff games, then debate me. Specifically, watch the Detroit v. Calgary and Dallas v. Vancovuer series. Sure, well deserved penalties will be called evenly, but questionable ones will follow my above equation 75% of the time.
If I'm wrong, I'll gladly admit to it... but I know I am right.

That's just a "conspiracy" theory.
ultimatetitman Posted - 04/08/2007 : 12:43:29
quote:
Originally posted by Snapdragon McFisticuffs

quote:
Originally posted by Patchy

That hit was pretty cheap, it was extreme charging..I'm surprised Cooke wasn't badly hurt on that play. He deserved to sit in the box while Vancouver finished his team off. I was shocked to see that happen.

Well Canucks Man he went into the boards because Thornton drove him back, because it was such a size mismatch and a wonderful hit. It was not dirty at all, maybe a tad late like I said earlier (then again so was Neil's and so was Janssen's etc.) and that's it.
Hit of the year.

Love the name Snapdragon! And the differing points of view!
However, I feel you may have been watching another game, as Thornton clearly hit Cooke beside the net and behind the goal line. Watch the replay, he clearly aimed for Cooke's head. with a bit of a forearm smash. If Cooke were any closer to the boards, it would have been ugly. If it was in front of the net, it would not have been called "boarding".
Now, I am not a huge Cooke fan either. That little "dive" after somebody touched/slashed the back of his knee earlier on was a joke.
And to anyone who thinks the refs don't favour teams, clean your glasses. There is a mandate in the league to favour small market American teams, followed closely by all other American teams in order to give them an advantage, in hopes of generating a few more wins, thus "selling" the game down there. Then the bias goes to the Eastern Canadian teams, as that is where the $$$ is. There's no money out west, and the game is established, so they get the losing end of the equation.
Don't believe me? Watch a few playoff games, then debate me. Specifically, watch the Detroit v. Calgary and Dallas v. Vancovuer series. Sure, well deserved penalties will be called evenly, but questionable ones will follow my above equation 75% of the time.
If I'm wrong, I'll gladly admit to it... but I know I am right.
I think I might start a poll on this...
Snapdragon McFisticuffs Posted - 04/07/2007 : 20:40:53
quote:
Originally posted by Patchy

That hit was pretty cheap, it was extreme charging..I'm surprised Cooke wasn't badly hurt on that play. He deserved to sit in the box while Vancouver finished his team off. I was shocked to see that happen.

Well Canucks Man he went into the boards because Thornton drove him back, because it was such a size mismatch and a wonderful hit. It was not dirty at all, maybe a tad late like I said earlier (then again so was Neil's and so was Janssen's etc.) and that's it.

Hit of the year.
Mikhailova Posted - 04/07/2007 : 19:36:58
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4093

Dirtiest *star* in the game today!

Nah, he's not on Dallas
Hahaha
Patchy Posted - 04/07/2007 : 19:26:43

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Canucks Man Posted - 04/07/2007 : 19:26:13
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4414

Dirty? That was just a massive hit from a guy protecting the front of the net. And good, Cooke had that coming for being such a whiny bitch at the start of the game. Tried to take his head off? C'mon man, it was clean, maybe a little away from the play but when you're standing in front of the net like that, don't expect to be left alone. If Thornton got some of Cooke's head, it's because Thornton is two feet taller than him. I thought 2 for boarding was perfectly fair. I don't tihnk he got the worst of it, he cut his nose, got it cleaned up and came back to set up the tying goal.

If Thornton was protecting the Front of the net then how did Cooke hit the boards if he was in front of the net, that was a really really cheap hit. I thought his hit from behind on Burrows in the 1st that lead to a Bruhaha was pretty dirty to.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Get The Towels Out Guys PLAYOFFS!!!
willus3 Posted - 04/07/2007 : 18:52:42
quote:

Well it may not have been well-reffed, but it certainly was not one-sided as some have mentioned. Both teams got away with lots and as long as it's reffed evenly, wussy calls or not, no team had an advantage and Fraser certainly did not favour SJ like some are saying, that's ridiculous.

Hey Snapdragaon, dig the name and love the perspective. I look forward to more of the same.
Guest4093 Posted - 04/07/2007 : 18:51:52
Dirtiest *star* in the game today!
tctitans Posted - 04/07/2007 : 18:44:45
quote:

Well it may not have been well-reffed, but it certainly was not one-sided as some have mentioned. Both teams got away with lots and as long as it's reffed evenly, wussy calls or not, no team had an advantage and Fraser certainly did not favour SJ like some are saying, that's ridiculous.

I certainly don't believe that an NHL referee would favor any team, but that doesnt mean that at the end of the game, in hindsight, one team or another didnt get more breaks than the other.
Snapdragon McFisticuffs Posted - 04/07/2007 : 18:40:02
tctitans Posted - 04/07/2007 : 18:34:58
quote:

There...

Great! and welcome. :)

Now, on with the discussion..

I really don't think Joe's a dirty player. I think he was frustrated from the 1st minute of the game and this frustration built as the game went on. He had a few incidents which could be considered questionable, but he wasnt the only one. This game was full of these types of incidents. I thought the officiating absolutely horrible thou... Brutal actually!
Snapdragon McFisticuffs Posted - 04/07/2007 : 18:04:14
There...
Guest4414 Posted - 04/07/2007 : 17:53:37
quote:
Originally posted by tctitans

Register and get an ID guest.. that way your words will have some merit and we can continue the debate.

Fair enough but keep this going.
tctitans Posted - 04/07/2007 : 17:42:49
Register and get an ID guest.. that way your words will have some merit and we can continue the debate.
1 Crosby fan Posted - 04/07/2007 : 17:13:28
What if they played Toronto or Boston they have Chara and Gill and they could do that to him

Winners never Quit and Quitters never win
Guest4414 Posted - 04/07/2007 : 16:57:00
How? That makes no sense. I can't even speculate about that happening to Thornton because he's too big and can stand on his skates, no one could have thrown him into the boards like that. Joe didn't score as many goals as last year but he finished only 4 assists behind last year (92) and that's amazing.
1 Crosby fan Posted - 04/07/2007 : 16:53:02
See here tho what if that happened to Joe tho everyone and I mean everyone would be on his back, i had a lot of respect for Joe look last year he had what 30 points before he got traded then he got what almost 100 points and Joe went down a little bit in my books anyway

Guest4414 Posted - 04/07/2007 : 16:39:55
Dirty? That was just a massive hit from a guy protecting the front of the net. And good, Cooke had that coming for being such a whiny bitch at the start of the game. Tried to take his head off? C'mon man, it was clean, maybe a little away from the play but when you're standing in front of the net like that, don't expect to be left alone. If Thornton got some of Cooke's head, it's because Thornton is two feet taller than him. I thought 2 for boarding was perfectly fair. I don't tihnk he got the worst of it, he cut his nose, got it cleaned up and came back to set up the tying goal.

Jump on Sedin's back? Dude what game were you watching? He slashed his stick and Sedin fell. That usually shouldn't make a guy drop like a bag of hammers, but Sedin made the call too easy. He didn't dive or anything, but he didn't necessarily make an effort to stay up either. It was smart on his part to sell the play, but Thornton certainly did not "jump" on his back. And when did you hear Thornton saying that it wasn't the reason he fell? Were you at the HP Pavillion at ice level? Plus, Thornton had a legitimate case, but that call had to be made they way it was sold and where it was on the ice.

I'm sick of people complaining about the reffing. Kerry Fraser is one of the best refs in the league and he called a good game. Did SJ get away with a few things? Of course. So did Vancouver, that's how hockey goes. Vancouver was being careless with their sticks, SJ sold them and they got PPs for them. In fact they toyed with the best PK in the league. Refs don't have favourite teams, they call what they see and for fans of Canadian teams especially, they seem to be blamed for any lack of success that team has (even though Vancouver ended up winning). I mean one of the Sedins ran some interference on a Sharks player right before Cooke's goal but I'm not whining about that, it happens. Suck it up.

If you lost respect for Thornton in that game, then you never had respect for him at all. He had a 3-point night, drove the other team crazy, and even though he was a little choppy (which aggravated Vancouver big time), he showed the whole country why he is one of the best players in the NHL.
1 Crosby fan Posted - 04/07/2007 : 16:33:28
I agree with ya man i liked him but that was dirty man

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page