Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 Don Cherry: Love him or Hate him.

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
STobin9 Posted - 04/08/2007 : 07:30:13
Don Cherry is a very controversial hockey icon. He stands up for all Candian players, while mispronouncing and not caring about European players, is also part of his game.
Some Love him, while Others Hate him. It's your choice. He's one of my favourite hockey analyzers(sp?). The way he looks at the game is a whole different aspect than anyone else. He notices things that none others do.
It's an ultimate classic when him and Ron McLean get into an argument. He starts hollaring and then takes cheapshots at Ron. He takes it, and keeps going with one of his theories.
Don Cherry is an overall good hockey icon. The Candian Media hates him, with ahlf of the country. The other half, along with the American media, are eagerly glued to their tvs, to see what helpful insight Don has to offer this Saturday Night!
22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
fly4apuckguy Posted - 04/26/2007 : 08:36:20
Love him.

I agree with about 95% of what he says (which no one else on TV has the nuts to say).

I met Don Cherry once when I was a kid, about a year after he got fired from the Bruins, but before he was really big on TV. He was the nicest guy you could ever imagine, and he told me this story:

"One day I went home and Rose (my wife) had told me that whle she was out in the garden tending to the flowers, Blue (my dog) ran into the flowers, rolled around and made a mess of things. So Rose tried to get her to leave, but when she yanked on her collar, Blue bit her on the hand. I knew at that moment I'd have to get rid of her.

I'm really gonna miss my wife."

Did not see that coming. Of course, Don is known for his love of Blue and his wife, so I knew it was just a joke. Not very PC, but hilarious none the less.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz
Saku Steen Posted - 04/25/2007 : 03:42:09
Boy, was that ever funny when he hit Maclean with the elbow pad. It was soo funny!

I've figured it out, the guys gotta play like girls!
PuckNuts Posted - 04/24/2007 : 21:50:35
Not that I do not like Ron McLean, but when Cherry hit hin over the noggin with that plastic elbow pad, well that is a classic...

Don Cherry is a Canadian Red Neck (hence the high collar), you either Love him or Hate him I see no in between...

I think he is great for hockey...

Lead, follow, or get out of the way...
PainTrain Posted - 04/23/2007 : 15:30:32
Whatever Don Cherry says is true. In games I remember what he says about if you're protecting a lead put it deep and I do and he observes the game very well. I love Don Cherry!!!!
Bidds55 Posted - 04/23/2007 : 12:36:04
I have been a fan of Don Cherry for a long time. I don't always agree with what he says( ie. his rant after the last Leafs vs Habs game, about how Lou Lamorello should dress Brodeur against the Isles, as a favour to the Leafs? WTF?!?), but he knows a lot about hockey, and he speaks his mind, and refuses to back down, which is so rare these days.
Like it or not, Don Cherry is a great Canadian, and THE Greatest hockey personality ever.
manninm Posted - 04/11/2007 : 07:56:15
Ya, I love the fact that Cherry speaks his mind. Also, he represents a part of the game that's been lost. Old time hockey - get rid of the instigator, go out there, and play rock em sock em hockey. Kinda makes me wish Don Cherry was the Commissioner
willus3 Posted - 04/10/2007 : 15:09:55
Love Cherry. He's a personality. I love how he's a champion for the well being of all players. Wanting to get the icing rule changed for instance.
Most of the time I think he's spot on. Then there are times when i think he's completely wrong. Like when he tried to say Crosby didn't get speared on the face off against Montreal this year and he showed another clip of it happening to someone else. He was wrong. Crosby clearly was speared and the other guy he showed was not.
But you can't please everybody all the time and Cherry doesn't try to. He's an entertainer.

"Go chase headlights!"
Beans15 Posted - 04/10/2007 : 14:47:01
The thing I love about Cherry is that he says what most players/coaches/media won't about hockey. He speaks his mind and he sounds like many of use out there talking about hockey.

The other thing that is great about Cherry is he is always talking about great plays that guys do and says, "Hey Kids, this is what you want to do." He talks a lot to the kids in Canada playing hockey and does bring up a lot of good stuff for them to focus on while they are learning the game.

I wonder how many minor league coaches out there watch HNIC and have what Cherry is talking about in their practices the next week??

Cherry is the only reason I watch the early game on HNIC.
Mikhailova Posted - 04/10/2007 : 13:48:21
quote:
Originally posted by ultimatetitman

It is SO Canadian to hate someone that speaks their mind and says things that are not politically correct!

It's not only Canadians, I'm with ya! Death to PC!

I've never seen Don Cherry on TV but I get the impression he's a great guy.
BigShow Posted - 04/10/2007 : 13:15:41
Don Cherry is great. It is good to see someone succeed without caving in to the whims of political correctness.
ultimatetitman Posted - 04/10/2007 : 13:09:33
It is SO Canadian to hate someone that speaks their mind and says things that are not politically correct!
Don Cherry has no filter between his brain and his mouth, and that's what makes him so entertaining. It is rather un-Canadian, but I love him. He's the only thing about HNIC (besides the game) that I like!
hithere311 Posted - 04/08/2007 : 14:49:48
I love how he doesn't take anything back or apologize. Great hockey analyzer and great canadian icon.
tctitans Posted - 04/08/2007 : 13:10:54
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

quote:
Originally posted by tctitans

Think of him as your senile quirky grampa and cut him some slack. ;)

Off topic, but does that make Bob Cole your senile Great Grandpa?

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Get The Towels Out Guys PLAYOFFS!!!

Cole is only 1 year older than Cherry... But Cherry 'seems' much much younger and more vibrant...
Canucks Man Posted - 04/08/2007 : 13:05:45
quote:
Originally posted by tctitans

Think of him as your senile quirky grampa and cut him some slack. ;)

Off topic, but does that make Bob Cole your senile Great Grandpa?

CANUCKS RULE!!!
tctitans Posted - 04/08/2007 : 12:55:39
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

I dont not like Cherry, but I dont like him either, what really turned me on him was when he was talking about Fitzpatrick earlier in the year and he obviously didnt no what he was talking about. He was saying about how Fitzpatrick hadnt played a game and had been a healthy scratch every game witch wasnt true, he was injured at the time and had played every game leading up to his injury. He also called Rory a jerk for letting this thing happen, whitch really ticked me off to.

CANUCKS RULE!!!

Noone's ever going to be 100% right, 100% liked, 100% of the time. Cherry is Cherry. He is the ultimate homer, and that's always what is endearing about him. Think of him as your senile quirky grampa and cut him some slack. ;)
Canucks Man Posted - 04/08/2007 : 12:53:08
I dont not like Cherry, but I dont like him either, what really turned me on him was when he was talking about Fitzpatrick earlier in the year and he obviously didnt no what he was talking about. He was saying about how Fitzpatrick hadnt played a game and had been a healthy scratch every game witch wasnt true, he was injured at the time and had played every game leading up to his injury. He also called Rory a jerk for letting this thing happen, whitch really ticked me off to.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
andyhack Posted - 04/08/2007 : 12:40:53
Totally agree tctitans. He is, and has been for over 25 years now, a wonderfully entertaining part of Hockey Night in Canada. One day when he is gone (hopefully still a long time from now) we are going to realize just how lucky we were to have him.

He also is the obvious answer to one poll I don't think we need to have: who is the most entertaining coach ever? One example - when he sent out all of the Bruin players to console Cheevers cause he was pissed off that the Habs were celebrating with all their players coming off the bench after their goals. The Hab players looked all confused looking back at the Bruins pouring onto the ice after a goal against. Was pretty funny. Subsequently led to the rule change saying players couldn't come off the bench to celebrate goals.

Agree or disagree with him, Cherry is an original, and actually a good and caring guy in a lot of ways.
tctitans Posted - 04/08/2007 : 10:21:08
C'mon Cherry is fantastic.. you have to give the guy a lot of Kudos!

How many other 73 year olds do you know that are still working their butts off and and contributing to something they love? For this fact alone I give the guy props.
Buddyno2000 Posted - 04/08/2007 : 09:57:01
He's the best, no one can go out and say what other are afraid to say like he does. and the man knows more about hockey than any other sports caster ever will. Last night he guaranteed a win for the Leafs in the first. and guess what He was RIGHT!!

Go leafs Go by the way
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 04/08/2007 : 08:40:25
He doesnt care what anyone thinks of him. He expresses any opinion he has. He's a great hockey icon

Leafs 4 Playoffs!!
Saku Steen Posted - 04/08/2007 : 08:38:53
He is so fun to watch! He needs to tone down about the wars though. Its taking up so much of the time. Not that I dont think its important that Canadiens need to know that its just not hockey.
Patchy Posted - 04/08/2007 : 08:34:47
I agree with what Don has to say most of the time, there are times however where I'm scratching my head over things he says. Bottom line is, I like him, he's entertaining and he's keeping Ron Maclean in business.

~~Go Leafs Go~~

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page