Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 Why Toronto??

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mikhailova Posted - 07/19/2007 : 18:46:57
Not only was it decided that the Hockey Hall of Fame and the NHL war room would be in Toronto, it seems like every player at some point in his career wants to play for TO. Gretzky did, and Ovechkin said when he first came over here to join the NHL that he wanted to play for the Leafs. I don't get it--why is everyone so attracted to Toronto?? They're not the team to win the most Cups, so it's not like they're the most accomplished/famous. As far as the Canadians go, why is TO so great? What's wrong with Calgary or Edmonton or Ottawa? Now I'm not saying everyone should shy away from Toronto, but I'm just wondering why it's such a hit. Why is it like THE town that everyone has to be in? Anyone have the slightest idea?
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
nashvillepreds Posted - 11/28/2007 : 14:56:56
I would love to see another team in Winnipeg rather than in Nashville, the city doesn't deserve their franchise.

GO PREDATORS GO
fly4apuckguy Posted - 11/25/2007 : 06:52:12
In Nashville's defense, it's a better hockey town than Atlanta.

Which is kind of like saying a lake of pus is more fun to swim in than a river of acid.

Technically true, but all in all, a lousy set of alternatives.

Bring the NHL to Winnipeg!
Antroman Posted - 11/24/2007 : 22:18:35
I am hoping that with the change in the schedule next year that the Leafs will be going to Nashville again. All you'll see is my dust heading south on the I-75. Hey Nashville guy, that guy Erat has finally arrived. Lost him off my pool team in the draft because I could only protect so many. Good solid player!!!!!!
nashvillepreds Posted - 11/24/2007 : 13:54:29
Actually Fly, at Kariya's signing there were about 100 people

No I'm being serious, there were about 100 people.

Antroman, half the people at Nashville games are either fans of the visiting team or got the tickets from their work for about 5 bucks and had nothing better to do that night. Just goes to show how much better the franchise would be in Canada.

GO PREDATORS GO
Antroman Posted - 11/24/2007 : 09:53:57
Hey Fly4apuckguy- Great post and you are pretty much bang on the money. To add one more reason I would say also that you seem to get more exposure media wise like HNIC. I think it would be awesome though to live in Nashville and be a fan and collector of the Preds. No problem getting a seat to the games and tickets would be a heck of a lot cheaper and better seats too. I think getting autographs and collectibles would be more readily attained not only for the Preds but visiting teams too. Visiting teams and media seem to hang out in allot of the same places in Hashville as well. For those interested in going down there I know for a fact through listening to the Toronto contingent on the radio, a very popular bar for this sort of stuff is called "Tootsies".
fly4apuckguy Posted - 11/24/2007 : 08:33:51
Why do players want to go to TO?

Because you can be an average hockey player like Darcy Tucker, and have your posters sold in Wal-Mart and have all of the perks of fame (girls, etc) and go to autograph signings where your line has 2000 people willing to pay $30 for you to sign their girlfriend's chest. You can have a workout video, write a lousy autobiography that sells a million copies, and be adored by every kid in Canada. You can get your card in the McDonalds set even if you score 20 goals less than everyone else in that same set. You can go to any restaurant or club in town, eat and drink free, and get set up with the bouncer's girlfriend by the bouncer himself.

Or you can be the best player in the world, play in Nashville, and nobody gives a crap about you. Your autograph signing has 11 people, all of whom thought they were in line to get a photo with the other guy from Wham. You can walk into a restaraunt and tell them who you are, and you still get the table in the front next to the cashier. You can then go to the hottest club in town, and wait in line like the rest of the losers have to.

That's why.
Antroman Posted - 11/21/2007 : 14:52:18
I always wanted to see the far west. The farthest I have been out that way was Saskatchewan to my dad's old homestead south of Regina. I have seen the Alps and not the Rockies. How strange is that? When I was in the army back in the sixties I was stationed in West Germany and took off to Switzerland with a couple of buds for a week. My wife and I were going to fly out to Calgary and rent a car and see Alberta and the West Coast when we retired but unfortunately she is no longer with us. I still plan on getting out there one of these days and for my own protection I will leave my Leaf paraphanalia behind. I've always wanted to attend The Stampede in Calgary and at least see the Edmonton Mall, of course the Mountains interest me the most along with the corn in Taber.
I´m also Cånädiön Posted - 07/25/2007 : 05:00:22
You North-americans have enviable gas prices, in sweden a litre costs roughly 1,8 dollars.
Mikhailova Posted - 07/22/2007 : 20:34:10
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Mik, that jersey is a great choice in Alberta. You are most likely to run into Calgary or Edmonton fans, so it would not only be a safe bet, you will get a lot of people happy about it!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. By the way, I saw some guy with this great T-shirt that said "Give Blood. Play Hockey" LOL!

P.S. I love the Canadian $5 bill
OILINONTARIO Posted - 07/22/2007 : 17:33:49
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

Lol yeah I'll be in the Rockies, in Banff. Radium Hotsprings sounds cool. I love how everyone up here wears hockey jerseys or hats or stuff...not like at home. I'm gonna go wear my "No Cup Since 67" Leafs jersey sometime...depending on who you run into, doing that in Canada could either be a great move or a really stupid move, lol.

It's true. Hold on tight. They'll be trying to tear it off your back! The Leafs fans out west only come out for the games (and usually paint their faces so that they won't be recognized in public)! Enjoy your time in Oil Country and/or Cowtown. Salt of the Earth.
Beans15 Posted - 07/22/2007 : 15:43:51
Mik, that jersey is a great choice in Alberta. You are most likely to run into Calgary or Edmonton fans, so it would not only be a safe bet, you will get a lot of people happy about it!

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
Mikhailova Posted - 07/21/2007 : 21:36:53
Lol yeah I'll be in the Rockies, in Banff. Radium Hotsprings sounds cool. I love how everyone up here wears hockey jerseys or hats or stuff...not like at home. I'm gonna go wear my "No Cup Since 67" Leafs jersey sometime...depending on who you run into, doing that in Canada could either be a great move or a really stupid move, lol.
OILINONTARIO Posted - 07/21/2007 : 18:25:43
I envy you, Mik. Enjoy your time in God's Country. You ARE gonna' check out the Rockies while you're there, right? Check out the Radium Hotsprings and Mt. Edith Cavell. You won't wanna leave!
Mikhailova Posted - 07/20/2007 : 21:07:39
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

I was just recently in Ottawa and its a beautiful city. It almost doesn't look like a city. Its not that big and they put their arena out in the middle of nowhere. But its still a great city and worth visiting.

Cool. I'm in Alberta right now, in Calgary in fact, on vacation. It's a nice province, I think I like it here . I passed by Taber by the way, but didn't go check out the corn, lol. I must say it was pretty funny crossing the border and the first thing I see is a speed limit sign that says 110 . And gas was $1.14 per LITER That's like $4 a gallon!
OILINONTARIO Posted - 07/20/2007 : 18:27:43
quote:

the Best Corn in the world comes from Taber Alberta.

I do miss the Taber corn, but we do get some decent stuff from Prince Edward County.
leafsfan_101 Posted - 07/20/2007 : 14:13:59
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

quote:

Plus, their logo is the same as Canada's. That helps the Ethnic Group become fans.

Well what about Ottawa? It IS the capital, after all. If any city stands for Canada you'd think it'd be Ottawa. But whatever floats your boat I guess...And the original "symbol" for Canada was the Red Ensign, was it not?

I was just recently in Ottawa and its a beautiful city. It almost doesn't look like a city. Its not that big and they put their arena out in the middle of nowhere. But its still a great city and worth visiting.

Second place is only first place of the losers.
Beans15 Posted - 07/20/2007 : 09:28:35
And the symbol for Canada is the Maple Leaf. Very much the like one on the front of the Toronto Jersey.

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
PuckNuts Posted - 07/20/2007 : 08:14:05
Ottawa did not have an NHL team when the hall was moved to Toronto...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Mikhailova Posted - 07/20/2007 : 08:12:25
quote:

Plus, their logo is the same as Canada's. That helps the Ethnic Group become fans.

Well what about Ottawa? It IS the capital, after all. If any city stands for Canada you'd think it'd be Ottawa. But whatever floats your boat I guess...And the original "symbol" for Canada was the Red Ensign, was it not?
PuckNuts Posted - 07/20/2007 : 05:33:20
The original HHOF was in Kingston, Ontario...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Kashmire Posted - 07/19/2007 : 20:55:36
It's mainly because of the rumors(such as the treatment the players get), the fans(referring to numbers), the city itself, and the hockey history. It's not like Buffalo or New York here. We don't much crime threat. You may hate their fans but doin't underestimate their city!
Gaint Robot Posted - 07/19/2007 : 20:46:52
Bean your right about the HOF. Toronto is the most well known city in Canada so that why i think they all want to go there, plus their fan's are always there, never an empty seat from what i hear, that would make me want to play there, every Game you have the Max amount of ppl that can get in watching you play hockey, that would be a rush.
Beans15 Posted - 07/19/2007 : 20:25:21
Ok, first of all the Best Corn in the world comes from Taber Alberta.

Secondly, not everyone growing up cheered for the Leafs.

And thirdly, population has most of what's "so great" about Toronto. Not unlike LA and NY being the Mecca of the States, London in England, Rome in Italy, and Paris in France. So because of population density many hockey players are from Ont, so they are more than likely Leafs Fans. Plus, their logo is the same as Canada's. That helps the Ethnic Group become fans.

And Toronto was part of the Original 6, so why not have the HOF there? Why is the baseball HOF in Cooperstown?? Why is the Pro Football HOF in Canton?? Why is the NBA HOF in Springfield??

Mikhailova Posted - 07/19/2007 : 19:28:16
quote:
Originally posted by SlowShot

Plus the place I live chilliwack is supposed to have the greatest corn in the whole wide world

Nah, that's Illinois
SlowShot Posted - 07/19/2007 : 19:10:55
Probably because it's the biggest city in Canada by a long shot and everyone growing up usually cheered for the leafs at one point. But I personally don't like the big city very much i'd way rather live where I am right now. Plus the place I live chilliwack is supposed to have the greatest corn in the whole wide world

Pickup hockey pool

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page