Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 Why Do People Not Like The Leafs

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LeafsFan4Life Posted - 11/10/2007 : 23:21:51
The leafs have been around forever sure they have made some bad decisions but they still have a quality team may not always finish first or even in the middle of the pack but they are one of the two Canadian teams that started it all give em a little respect and some fans that don't always boo them and they may make some better decisions and not always put band aid on the team to get better now, and eventually they are gonna have to get some young talent and will get better i know its been 40 years since they have seen a cup but sooner or later they gotta win lol

drunk 24/7
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest4912 Posted - 12/06/2007 : 08:17:12
Everybody is posting these stupid ass topics (who are probably posted by leaf fans) crying and whining about why we dont like the leafs, why do they suck, IT starts from the net out. Two busts and poor defence spells the teams demise in black and white. especially on the stat sheet.
there a .500 team at BEST
Guest4912 Posted - 12/06/2007 : 08:05:58
you are completely right antroman, the current popularity of the toronto maple leafs can be accredited to all of the factors that you mentioned. their success as one of only two canadian teams made them heroes anywhere outside quebec. one could argue that the canadiens should be equally popular, but their popularity has been mainly restricted to French Canada. therefore, the leafs were in fact the team of choice for anyone who had the means to catch hockey.

this success has simply carried through from generation to generation. what angers me is that they still receive the same attention from the media, broadcasters are always biased toward them, and they are made out to be the center of the hockey universe.

the toronto maple leafs have the same status as the dallas cowboys or green bay packers, but even those teams are not hyped up over the rest of the teams in the NFL the way the leafs are over other teams in the NHL. just because their is a large population base in southern ontario and that amounts to more tv revenue for that area doesnt make it right to propagate the leafs across the rest of canada and shove them in our faces. if fans down their like them so much, which they do, then give em all the leafs they can get.

ultimately, the media is responsible for the well-known hateful attitude towards the leafs. they feed and fuel the anger day in day out, whether it be cbc, tsn, or sportsnet.
Guest2594 Posted - 12/06/2007 : 06:49:49
Ur questions should be reveresed, Why do people styll like the leafs. Ive been to many games around the NHL, and you would be surprised how many leaf fans are in your home town, even if you live in the USA there are fans everywhere. Leafs are one of the original 6 teams, so back then some ciies that didnt have teams before have teams noww, but they styll follow the leaf tradiions
Guest9646 Posted - 12/06/2007 : 00:54:52
I don't understand why people hate the Leafs...Most Leaf fans don't "hate" the other teams in the league or Canada. I have been to the Leaf/Montreal rivalries in both cities, and there is way more hostility in Montreal towards the Leafs then I ever saw in Toronto towards the habs...the way I see it, you can cheer for whatever team you want, but unless you are a fan of one of the original 6 teams, you have no understanding of hockey tradition, because your team hasn't been around long enough to appreciate the legacy of a team. When your team has been around more than 50 years in the league, then perhaps some infant stage of history can be considered to be developed. And as far as people concerned about CBC showcasing the Leafs....it is about money....if you live in a smaller market, and want to pay $500 to go to a game, and huge municipal and provincial taxes(as a subsidy for the lost television revenues and viewership) then by all means, write your business proposal remembering that most of the cash in TV comes from the advertisers who want a big audience. The Leafs are a dynasty in the sense of more people having the experience of being taken to their first game not just by their parent, but by their grandparent, and their grandparents being taken to their first leaf game by their grandparents. Anyone who attended a game at Maple Leaf Gardens could feel the history of the team in the building....and let's face it, the salary cap was the worst thing that ever happened to the Leafs. They were finally positioning themselves like the Yankees in Baseball, where they could have spent 100 million on payroll and bought whoever they wanted. They would have made the playoffs every year, at the expense of some smaller market teams, and they still would have been more profitable. The Salary cap killed a big dollar team like the leafs because they now had to change the entire way they approached talent, and they had very little cultivated within the organization. They are still feeling the effects of this. Of course, the ownership group of the Leafs is happy because it padded their pockets by the league forcing them to spend less...while they continually become the richest hockey franchise by far. So don't hate the Leafs, love your own team, and be glad that the salary cap allows your small market team to compete in this league every year and that your team doesn't have the fan and media pressure to always win now! It's like trying to be a day trader with stock and always pick the winners, it just can't be done.
If you want to pick a guy to hate in hockey, I vote for Brian Burke. I know Anaheim won the cup last year (good for the players), but that guy is just a true ass. Neidermayer decides to come back and help his .500 team and Burke says that they are glad to have him, but doesn't want another shenanigan again next year. What an ass Burke is.
nashvillepreds Posted - 11/16/2007 : 15:06:27
quote:
Originally posted by PuckNuts

Yes there are a lot of jealous people out there. They think that their team should get all the attention, and not Toronto.

Well one day your favourite team will be at the center of attention, and guess what everyone else will hate your team then...

When the Leafs win the Cup one day there will be so many of those fans that said they hated the Leafs waiving a flag from their car, and they are going to totally deny ever hating them...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

All the people that hate leafs now will be dead before the leafs win the cup

GO PREDATORS GO
Scudworth Posted - 11/15/2007 : 16:59:30
Kinda reminds me of This picture

http://homepage.mac.com/kenhenderson/.Pictures/SPRTSEDS/SPRTSed_04_02052007_SML.jpg
Guest9799 Posted - 11/15/2007 : 16:34:31
Well look at Sundin
For all the crap he takes, he has had 70 or more points for the past 11 seasons
plain and simple, he is the heart and soul of the club beause he is dedicated

if you can get the guys i mentioned on baord with the idea that they can win a cup in the near future, i dont see why not
Scudworth Posted - 11/15/2007 : 16:23:26
Problem is, do you really think that if the Leafs continue at their sub (or near) 500 level, that all those players you mentioned would want to stick with the Leafs for a 5 year period? You said it yourself, some of the best players turn to pylons when wearing a Leaf jersey, so what's to keep a bunch of current pylons when they realize they could shine somewhere else where they're not as much under the microscope?
Guest9799 Posted - 11/15/2007 : 16:12:34
hey guys, im doing a speech for school on what i would do i i were JFJ. im not finished, but let me know what u think so far please.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Odd as it may sound, my first task on day one of the job is going to be the hardest of all. It’s called chilling out. Let me explain.

Since his arrival in August of 2003, John Ferguson has facilitated the acquiring of about 40 notable players. With all due respect, all they cultivated into were a bunch of old farts.

Brian Leetch, Ron Francis, Joe Nieuwendyk, Ed Belfour, Jeff O’Neil, Jason Allison, Eric Lindros and Michael Peca are all arguably future Hall of Famers. In Toronto though, they were about as useful as a bunch of pylons.

Ferguson brought them all in as they pushed the 36 and 37 marks, and now they’re all gone. Talk about blowing it big time.

The reason is very simple. Mr. Ferguson is selfish.

That’s a nice way of putting it, considering the other options were a toss up between plain old dumb, and ignorant.

As Paul Maurice, coach of the Leafs – at least for the time being – put it: ‘The two hardest jobs in Canada are being Prime Minister, and GM of Toronto.’

The media is always on his back. He, in turn, tries to find short term solutions to get himself out of the spotlight. He creates a whole bunch of fanfare by signing old ‘have-beens’, and making us believe, as we have for the past 40 years, that this year is the year.

When we win a preseason game, Toronto fans are cheering ‘Stanley Cup’ in the streets. But all it takes is twenty games, by which the injuries have taken their toll, and the city is going after the infamous scapegoat that is JF Junior. This vicious cycle keeps repeating itself over and over.

And money is the source of the other form of selfishness.

Wade Belak has been caught saying that he doesn’t lose sleep over missing the playoffs, since he knows that the fans will remain loyal regardless.

The Toronto Maple Leafs are primarily a business venture. Larry Tanenbaum, the Teachers’ Association, and Mr. Ferguson have a hidden agenda. It’s called filling seats.

As long as the big name players are in Toronto, the money is in Toronto. And if they win a few games – well that’s an added bonus.

At this point the choice, really, is ours. Do we really want to see another decade of mediocre hockey clubs? Or rather, is it time for change?

It might take a few last place finishes. But 1967 is becoming a number known oh too well by fans of the blue and white.

Right here, right now, we rebuild. They have the core guys.

I see no reason why Justin Pogge, now a third string, 21 year old goaltender for the Leafs, can’t be anchoring a Stanley Cup run by the time he is 26.

By that time, both assistant captain Nik Antropov and Alexander Steen will be 32. Matt Stajan will be 33. Throw in Tomas Kaberle, Kyle Wellwood, Carlo Colaiacovo, John Poll, Jiri Tlutsy and Simon Gamanche, and you have a core nine guys who you can hone into superstars of the future.

It’s funny now, because half these guys are just benchwarmers. But consider this.

Daniel Alfredsson was a sixth round choice. Henrik Zetterberg is a seventh rounder. They have led the NHL in points through the first quarter of this season. Even Mark Messier, second all time in NHL scoring, was a third round pick. And Luc Robitaille, a 9th round 171st pick, is the highest scoring left-winger of all time.

Meanwhile, all the talent in the Toronto system were high prospects. All it takes is time.

fly4apuckguy Posted - 11/15/2007 : 14:53:55
quote:
Originally posted by Antroman

Yea, Dad was from down around Weyburn or Pangman. Their family were your original dirt farmers and my dad was one of thirteen kids. He is in his eighties now and still sits and curses the Habs when they play the Leafs. He always brings up the fact that they heard the very first Leaf broadcast with Foster Hewitt and claims it was such an event for them that he remembers it like it was yesterday. I'm afraid to call since Saturday night as I am going to get an earful about the those same stinkin' Habs beating us in OT.

It's those older guys like your dad that make me love the game and this country even more, seriously. That is awesome.
Antroman Posted - 11/14/2007 : 18:50:29
Yea, Dad was from down around Weyburn or Pangman. Their family were your original dirt farmers and my dad was one of thirteen kids. He is in his eighties now and still sits and curses the Habs when they play the Leafs. He always brings up the fact that they heard the very first Leaf broadcast with Foster Hewitt and claims it was such an event for them that he remembers it like it was yesterday. I'm afraid to call since Saturday night as I am going to get an earful about the those same stinkin' Habs beating us in OT.
fly4apuckguy Posted - 11/14/2007 : 17:33:07
quote:
Originally posted by Antroman

My Dad was from Sask and he told on many occasions that it was the highlight of the week for them all.

I do not know your father, but he sounds like a great man.

Being from Saskatchewan myself, I'm sure it was the higlight of the week. Things are a little more hip here now, though. Just last Saturday, Streetheart was in town.
Antroman Posted - 11/14/2007 : 16:53:59
The popularity of the Leafs probably has been enriched across the country because of the tradition going back to the 30's and Foster Hewitt doing the games on Saturday nights on the wireless (radio). Back in those days people would gather together in who ever's house had a radio with good reception and listen to the games together and cheering on the Leafs because they were the only Canadian team at that time with the exception of the Habs. My Dad was from Sask and he told on many occasions that it was the highlight of the week for them all. You have to understand that CBC radio was their only connection to hockey and the outside world. As the years went by and the Saturday night Leaf games turned into black and white television viewing everyone was still inundated with the Hewitts and the Leafs and their popularity with people from coast to coast had grown immensely up until expansion in 1967. Once the western teams came in then allot of those western people switched allegiances to those teams but there were and still is a real fondness across the country for the Leafs and the traditional Saturday night games. When watching the games from Calgary and Edmonton I still see allot of Leaf jersey's in the crowds. Most of this support is a direct result of that history as the older generations have passed it down to their youngsters who have passed it down again etc. It is changing of course with the successes of the western teams and the advent of the Satelite dish (more options). The tradition of the Leafs on HNIC is a national institution and as long as the TV ratings stay high it will continue but nothing lasts forever.
Guest7680 Posted - 11/14/2007 : 12:34:27
Fair enough. I appreciate your comments. I'm sure every team has fans that are jerks. In our exuberance for our team sensitivity tends to fly out the window.

I have enought friends who are Toronto and Boston fans. We have an enormous amount of fun ribbing each other about our various teams. Most of it is in good fun. We ultimately respect each other.

It is terrible when the insults and the comments cross the line and cause hard feelings. And I can definitely understand that coming from a Montreal fan it might be harder to take.

There are always going to be teams that we like more, and some we love to hate, for who knows what kind of ridiculous reasons. I never particularly liked Pittsburgh, but I love the fact that they have pulled themselves out of the basement and are making a run for it.

It's good for the game. Ultimately having a competitive league with compelling rivalries is good for everyone. Preferably not at my team's expense. But hey.
andyhack Posted - 11/14/2007 : 10:06:13
Guest 7680 - I don't disagree that Leafs fans can be jerks. I think Habs fans can be jerks too though. As can Bruin fans...

And the analogy does have some holes in it, sure. For one thing, the Leafs are more like a wealthy bum on the street who just is constantly wasting all his resources.

Some of this is half-kidding, BUT as a fan of a team that hasn't won forever (often due to your team), I just find it strange when fans of a team as successful as Montreal has been find it necessary to bash a team that hasn't won in forty years.

Actually, I don't think you, and other Habs fans of your generation can really relate at all to what I am talking about. We're coming at this from totally different perspectives (that part I am more than half serious I guess). I guarantee that if the Bruins ever win ONE cup, let alone multiple ones, I'll never get that pissed off about a Bruin loss again. I certainly won't bash other teams that have gone on years and years without the same success. I suppose all this losing has given a bit of a gift to me.

Anyway, call it "playing the victim card" if you want, but I don't think a Montreal fan really understands the "hockey fan" mind of a Toronto or Boston fan who has been around for the full ride since those Cups so many moons ago (which I was too young for).

Last point - I'm not asking you to apologize (Edit - at least the apology doesn't have to be in writing!). I just can't stand seeing you get upset when they lose though. I have Hab friends who have experienced close to TEN cup victories in their lives and they get SUPER upset when the Habs lose today. It's kind of silly I guess, but that bugs me.

Edit 2 - I thought of this on the way walking down here. Beating a team out of the playoffs, as the Leafs did to Montreal last year (or even in the playoffs, as the Bruins did to the Habs for a period there) is very nice, BUT, it doesn't mean that much overall. Maybe you should give your Leaf fan buddies some slack there - last year's final game and a goal by Lanny in '78 and one or two good playoffs in the Gilmour years - that, my Hab Rival, is about all they have had in forty years.

You and I both know that what really matters is Cups and in that regard Montreal fans have won many many many times over. Victim card? Maybe, but yes, when I see a Montreal fan knocking the Leafs for not winning in forty years, the word "ARROGANT" does come to mind.
Guest7680 Posted - 11/14/2007 : 09:25:20
I'm not sure that's a fair analogy. Rivalries go both ways. Toronto and Montreal both have rich hockey histories. This use of this analogy is a classic of exactly why Toronto fans seem to grate on other fans nerves. Toronto fans give as good as they get.

At the end of last years season my few friends who are Toronto fans just couldn't seem to let the glee of "we eliminated Montreal from the play-offs" out of their system. So please don't play the victim card, it doesn't wash.

That being said, noone should have to apologize for being a die-hard fan and loving their team. More power to you. I much prefer people who are loyal to their team than Stanley cup followers who only cheer when a team does well.

I also enjoy arguing with you that my team is better than yours. That is part of what makes hockey fun. The rivalries, even the fights, the nail-biting battles to make the playoffs. Even the disappointing losses, it only makes the re-matches all the sweeter to watch.

So kudos to all you die-hard fans out there who fill the cheap seats, and cheer til you are hoarse. I may not agree with you, but you make hockey what it is.

And to the Leafs, the team we all love to hate, I'll probably cheer for you when you are the only Canadian team left in the playoffs. But no guarantees :)
andyhack Posted - 11/14/2007 : 06:22:37
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

This may go further than hockey. Rightly or wrongly, Toronto has a negative reputation outside of the GTA. There is a perception of an arrogant, centre of the universe attitude. Very much like NY and LA in the States. It's the David vs Goliath, big guy vs the little guy mentality.

I think this filters down to Hockey. It's the rest of the Cities in Canada shouting out, "You ain't so great TO!"

I think the above really gets at the answer to this question the most. If we're just focusing on hockey, one would think that the reason for the anti-Leaf thing HAS to do more than just the "hating succeessful guys" thing, as the Leafs haven't won since before Pierre Elliot Trudeau rode into Ottawa and before Tricky d***y began planting wire devices throughout the White House.

That's why I don't get the venom coming out of Leaf haters! Who are you knocking and hating when you say, "Leafs suck!"? It especially puzzles me when a Montreal fan does it. That's like a guy wearing a Hugo Boss suit and a Rolex watch grabbing some penniless bum on the street corner and screaming "You suck!". I don't get that.

Now, Bruin fans feeling venom towards Montreal (especially their fans of 40 or over), THAT is understandable!
PuckNuts Posted - 11/14/2007 : 06:14:55
Yes there are a lot of jealous people out there. They think that their team should get all the attention, and not Toronto.

Well one day your favourite team will be at the center of attention, and guess what everyone else will hate your team then...

When the Leafs win the Cup one day there will be so many of those fans that said they hated the Leafs waiving a flag from their car, and they are going to totally deny ever hating them...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

ED11 Posted - 11/13/2007 : 23:09:48
quote:
Originally posted by fly4apuckguy

It's basic psychology 101 that when someone or some institution is dearly beloved, the next step in the evolution of humanity is to start to hate that thing with a burning passion of a thousand suns.

Think about it...some of the most loved players and teams of all time are also the most hated...and that goes beyond the sports world. Celebrities, whatever...same thing. Ikea, for example. Some people love Ikea, and want to spend every Sunday there. That means people hate Ikea. Obscure reference, but am I wrong?

A fan should probably take it as a compliment. I should do the same for all the criticism I take for my man-crushes on Crosby, Gretzky, and Lindros. People HATE those guys as much as I love them.

Orr seems to be the only one who is bulletproof. If you meet someone who hates Orr, let me know. That would be a first.

Thank you fly. I can't stress enough how much I say that the reason why people hate the leafs is because they have the most people who like them as well. I said it in my first post in this thread. And you are right. I do take it as a compliment.
fly4apuckguy Posted - 11/13/2007 : 19:54:57
Thanks. I do what I can.
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 11/13/2007 : 18:48:40
quote:
Originally posted by fly4apuckguy

It's basic psychology 101 that when someone or some institution is dearly beloved, the next step in the evolution of humanity is to start to hate that thing with a burning passion of a thousand suns.

Think about it...some of the most loved players and teams of all time are also the most hated...and that goes beyond the sports world. Celebrities, whatever...same thing. Ikea, for example. Some people love Ikea, and want to spend every Sunday there. That means people hate Ikea. Obscure reference, but am I wrong?

A fan should probably take it as a compliment. I should do the same for all the criticism I take for my man-crushes on Crosby, Gretzky, and Lindros. People HATE those guys as much as I love them.

Orr seems to be the only one who is bulletproof. If you meet someone who hates Orr, let me know. That would be a first.

Interesting but a good way of putting things as always Fly.
fly4apuckguy Posted - 11/13/2007 : 18:46:06

Guest2047 Posted - 11/13/2007 : 18:13:20
Is this a trick question?
Scudworth Posted - 11/13/2007 : 18:10:14
quote:
Originally posted by ED11

quote:
Originally posted by Scudworth

Right, right. I forgot that the NHL revolves around a less than stellar team. That's why the league sucks in ratings compared to NASCAR, NFL, NBA, PGA, and even the CFL. They do wonders for the league.

CFL? I don't think so bud. Hey I have no problem with you hating the Leafs. But please give me a good reason other then that they haven't won a cup in 40 years as to why you hate them. And don't use Beans' point because that is the only point so far that actually makes sense. The Blackhawks haven't won since '61. Do you hate them as much???

If you scroll up to my first post, I think I left a fine list of reasons why I hate the Leafs. And as for your Hawks comment, at least they're bringing in new, young talent, no?
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 11/13/2007 : 18:01:48
quote:
Originally posted by KariyaSelanne

Well the main reason I hate the Leafs is because growing up my whole family hated the Leafs, thats my reason I guess.

Ya but is there a reason that you were brought up hating the Leafs? Just a question I am just curious why everybody seems to have some sort of vendetta against the Leafs.
KariyaSelanne Posted - 11/13/2007 : 17:12:41
Well the main reason I hate the Leafs is because growing up my whole family hated the Leafs, thats my reason I guess.
fly4apuckguy Posted - 11/13/2007 : 16:53:05
Surprisingly, I have about 50 dudes I would call close friends. I would guess that about 20 of them are Leaf fans, another 10 are Habs fans, 10 are Oiler fans, and the rest are floaters like me.

Of course, I live in a land where allegiances are based not on geography, but who you grew up watching the most. Guess who that was???
OILINONTARIO Posted - 11/13/2007 : 16:51:55
You are correct, Beans. The biggest cause of hatred towards the Leafs is the media that constantly suround them. I hate hearing about them. And I'm not alone. One poster recently blamed the teachers' union for not allowing enough money for the Leafs to sign better players. I may be wrong, but I believe that the Leafs are as close to the salary cap as they could be. Living in Ontario, I hear this all the time, that the ownership is to blame for their woes, but I think it's pretty obvious that the management may have some influence in the team's failures.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.
Beans15 Posted - 11/13/2007 : 16:42:47
Fly, I can honestly say that not one of my friends is a Leafs Fan. In fact, few people I meet are Leafs Fans. The Majority is the opposite.

And I understand that it's a ratings thing with TSN, but the CBC is government funded is it not?? Alberta puts more money into the Government through transfer payments than any other province. Does that mean we should get Calgary early and Edmonton late every Saturday??

I agree the TSN might be to blame, but CBC is a government funded organization. Therefore, my opinion is that they should have equal coverage of any sport they are showing on a national scale. CFL gets pretty even coverage from CBC, why not hockey??

Finally, I am not one of those guys that watches the Leaf game on Saturday. Rarely, if ever do I tune in for the game. I will, however, flip over there during intermissions as I find Cherry and what ever other guests they have on during the intermissions of the early game far more entertaining than the Leafs vs. anyone.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
fly4apuckguy Posted - 11/13/2007 : 16:23:43
I'm not sure it's entirely fair to blame CBC or TSN for this.

They are driven by ratings, and I'm sure they've done test audiences, etc, that show more people (like me, fool that I am) will watch the Leafs vs anybody on a Saturday night than, say, NYR vs Carolina.

Even the Sens, as good as they are, are not as popular anywhere in Canada as the Leafs. Many of us might dislike the Leafs, but every guy on here, no matter where he lives in this great nation of ours, can name some buddies that are die-hard Leaf fans. And they watch every Saturday. Until people turn the channel, this won't change.

I'm as guilty as anybody, because I complain... "Ah, crap, another Leafs game?"

And then I watch it.
Beans15 Posted - 11/13/2007 : 16:23:15
I don't hate the Blackhawk because I don't have to watch them every Saturday Night.

One more point about people Hating the Leafs was brought up and that was original rivalries. I don't think it has to be Habs fans that only get to hate the Leafs.

This may go further than hockey. Rightly or wrongly, Toronto has a negative reputation outside of the GTA. There is a perception of an arrogant, centre of the universe attitude. Very much like NY and LA in the States. It's the David vs Goliath, big guy vs the little guy mentality.

I think this filters down to Hockey. It's the rest of the Cities in Canada shouting out, "You ain't so great TO!"

Just like the battle of Alberta, but on a National Scale. Most people outside of TO are against them.

ED11 Posted - 11/13/2007 : 16:05:05
quote:
Originally posted by Scudworth

Right, right. I forgot that the NHL revolves around a less than stellar team. That's why the league sucks in ratings compared to NASCAR, NFL, NBA, PGA, and even the CFL. They do wonders for the league.

CFL? I don't think so bud. Hey I have no problem with you hating the Leafs. But please give me a good reason other then that they haven't won a cup in 40 years as to why you hate them. And don't use Beans' point because that is the only point so far that actually makes sense. The Blackhawks haven't won since '61. Do you hate them as much???
Guest7680 Posted - 11/13/2007 : 15:48:17
Alot of the "hatred" naturally comes from ancient rivalries.

True HABs fans must by definition hate the Bruins, the Leafs, and the Nordiques. Although Colorado by sheer distance has been spared a certain amount of the Nordique hostility. Where does that come from? Does it even have anything to do with hockey? Yes and no. Leaving Boston out of it, Montreal and Toronto has a rich tradition of hating each other. Not just the hockey teams mind you but the cities too.

The media coverage certainly doesn't help. As Beans15 said, it is most frustrating when your team plays second string to another one in the media coverage - TSN being the worst offender. While granted it's not terribly logical to take that out on the Leafs, I'm sure they aren't complaining about it. And since when does team loyalty have to be logical?

On a more personal note I don't like the Leafs because I find them a boring team with Thug tendancies. They make ugly hockey. I don't like Philly for the same reason. I don't like NJ because they introduced the trap. I don't like the Rangers because they buy their team every year. I could go on. But I digress.

Go HABs. I'll love you even if you don't win the cup for the next 40 years.

Beans15 Posted - 11/13/2007 : 15:26:22
It's not how the media portrays them at all in my opinion. It's the fact that they are crammed down the hockey world's throat. Regardless of the rest of the hockey world.

Perfect example is this Avery incident of Saturday Night. Any other City in the League and it's brought up that day, then maybe again if there is action taken. Because it's in TO, it's the topic all over the TV for days.

Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 11/13/2007 : 15:01:02
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Why to people dislike the Leafs. Two word, the Media.

I can understand what you are saying about people hating the Leafs because of the media but if you really think about it, it doesnt make sense.

The Leafs are not a person they are a hockey team. I dont understand how you can hate a hockey team because of how different people portray them.

I dont think there has been a post in this thread that says why somebody hates the Leafs because of some reason other then the media other then the occasional guest post saying its because the Leafs suck.
Beans15 Posted - 11/13/2007 : 14:40:42
I can only speak for myself and the people I know, but the biggest reason that people dislike TO is that the media drives the Leafs down your throat.

Every single Saturday Night?? Remember before HNIC had double headers and the Leafs were a horrible team. There were many seasons where Montreal, Edmonton, and Calgary all had great teams but hockey fans were forced to watch the Leafs. Now, the best teams in Canada (Ottawa and Montreal) get 2nd rate coverage behind the Leafs. Thank Heavens they are in the same division so you will at least get TO against Montreal or Ottawa. Personally, I think CBC should do like Sunday Night Football does. They promote the best games they can. They will change their originally scheduled game for the best game possible. Not saying take the Leafs away complete, but if there is a Detroit/Ottawa game or a Toronto/Phoenix game, what one do you want to watch??

I have nothing against the team or the management. I think they have a bad management team there, but that is again the media's fault. The management team are forced into band-aid solutions to appease the media masses. I seriously think that you could put Scottie Bowman behind the bench and Brian Murray as GM and they still wouldn't be able to produce a winner.

Why to people dislike the Leafs. Two word, the Media.

Kovie Posted - 11/13/2007 : 12:10:44
In my opinion alot of it has to do with the fact that out here in the west the early CBC game on Saturdays is always the leafs. If I could occasionally catch a Montreal game or a Senators game on a Saturday at 5:00Pm MST it might be more exciting to catch the occasional Leafs game. But it is just the CBC's way of trying to convince all of us that the Leafs are the greatest team in Hockey. Unfortunatley for them their record speaks for them.
Scudworth Posted - 11/13/2007 : 11:13:09
ED11 Posted - 11/12/2007 : 20:33:28
quote:
Originally posted by Azeman

2 words

They suck

GO WINGS GO!!!!

WOW. OH MY GOD!!!! Thank you for that incredible insight!!! How does anyone expect the quality of our forums to up when we get these amazing posts??? Man, like we haven't heard that one before. At least come up with something new if those are the type of posts you are going to write.

Here is my take on things...

I am a leaf fan. I do occasionally get upset with the management that the leafs have. Reason being? The management doesn't seem to care for the team. And the reason for that? It does not actually have a one man owning the franchise. The teachers board owns the leafs. So as long as the leafs keeping selling the ACC out every game why get better players?? Better players cost more money. Money that the teachers board will be losing with better players. That is the part that pisses me off. On the other hand. The leafs have some of the most dedicated fans in the NHL. They could be first or last and the ACC is pretty much sold out either way. And why is that? The leafs are pretty much(yes I'm going to say it) the center of the NHL. They have the most fans(and enemies...it comes with the territory of having the most fans), are worth the most money. 413 million. They pretty much keep another franchise from going bankrupt. I was at the leaf game in Buffalo last friday and the arena was 60% leaf fans. Take the leafs out of the NHL and you are losing two teams. See the influence the leafs and their fans have? And so if you combine that with not winning a cup in 40 years BUT still having all those fans and all that influence....that seems to piss other fans off. That's what I think.
Guest9591 Posted - 11/12/2007 : 16:05:03
quote:
Originally posted by LeafsFan4Life

The leafs have been around forever sure they have made some bad decisions but they still have a quality team may not always finish first or even in the middle of the pack but they are one of the two Canadian teams that started it all give em a little respect and some fans that don't always boo them and they may make some better decisions and not always put band aid on the team to get better now, and eventually they are gonna have to get some young talent and will get better i know its been 40 years since they have seen a cup but sooner or later they gotta win lol

drunk 24/7

biggest run on sentence ever- you lost me half way man

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page