Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 If I was John Ferguson Jr....

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex Posted - 11/15/2007 : 18:01:50
hey guys, im writing a speech about how i would run the leafs if i was the gm, can you tell me what you think?

----------------------------------------------

Toronto Maple Leafs.

If I weren’t speaking in as formal a setting, I would barely be able to get those words out of my mouth before being booed off the podium.

I think it’s safe to say that we’ve all pretty much given up hope. They suck, end of story.

Ironically, Toronto is the most successful market in the NHL; they bring a net worth 43 million dollars per year, to be precise. The ACC is sold out every single game.

Compare that to the fact that the last three teams to win a Stanley Cup were Anaheim, Carolina and Tampa Bay. I can summarize it one word: frustrating.

Of course, there’s the other big aspect. The Leafs have 5 million general managers. Take anyone off the streets of downtown, and I guarantee you they have their own two cents worth on how to be running the show.

So, dear teacher and fellow classmates, for the next five minutes, I will assume the role of John Ferguson Junior, the man in charge of the most storied franchise in hockey.

Odd as it may sound, my first task on day one of the job is going to be the hardest of all. It’s called chilling out. Let me explain.

Since his arrival in August of 2003, John Ferguson has facilitated the acquiring of about 40 notable players. With all due respect, all they cultivated into were a bunch of old farts.

Brian Leetch, Ron Francis, Joe Nieuwendyk, Ed Belfour, Jeff O’Neil, Jason Allison, Eric Lindros and Michael Peca are all arguably future Hall of Famers. In Toronto though, they were about as useful as a bunch of pylons.

Ferguson brought them all in as they pushed the 36 and 37 marks, and now they’re all gone. Talk about blowing it big time.

The reason is very simple. Mr. Ferguson is selfish.

That’s a nice way of putting it, considering the other options were a toss up between plain old dumb, and ignorant.

As Paul Maurice, coach of the Leafs – at least for the time being – put it: ‘The two hardest jobs in Canada are being Prime Minister, and GM of Toronto.’

The media is always on his back. He, in turn, tries to find short term solutions to get himself out of the spotlight. He creates a whole bunch of fanfare by signing old ‘have-beens’, and making us believe, as we have for the past 40 years, that this year is the year.

When we win a preseason game, Toronto fans are cheering ‘Stanley Cup’ in the streets. But all it takes is twenty games, by which the injuries have taken their toll, and the city is going after the infamous scapegoat that is JF Junior. This vicious cycle keeps repeating itself over and over.

And money is the source of the other form of selfishness.

Wade Belak has been caught saying that he doesn’t lose sleep over missing the playoffs, since he knows that the fans will remain loyal regardless.

The Toronto Maple Leafs are primarily a business venture. Larry Tanenbaum, the Teachers’ Association, and Mr. Ferguson have a hidden agenda. It’s called filling seats.

As long as the big name players are in Toronto, the money is in Toronto. And if they win a few games – well that’s an added bonus.

At this point the choice, really, is ours. Do we really want to see another decade of mediocre hockey clubs? Or rather, is it time for change?

It might take a few last place finishes. But 1967 is becoming a number known oh too well by fans of the blue and white.

Right here, right now, is the time to rebuild. They have the core guys.

I see no reason why Justin Pogge, now a third string, 21 year old goaltender for the Leafs, can’t be anchoring a Stanley Cup run by the time he is 26.

By that time, both assistant captain Nik Antropov and Alexander Steen will be 32. Matt Stajan will be 33. Throw in Tomas Kaberle, Kyle Wellwood, Carlo Colaiacovo, John Poll, Jiri Tlutsy and Simon Gamanche, and you have a core nine guys who you can hone into superstars of the future.

It’s funny now, because half these guys are just benchwarmers. But consider this.

Daniel Alfredsson was a sixth round choice. Henrik Zetterberg is a seventh rounder. They have led the NHL in points through the first quarter of this season. Even Mark Messier, second all time in NHL scoring, was a third round pick. And Luc Robitaille, a 9th round 171st pick, is the highest scoring left-winger of all time.

Meanwhile, all the talent in the Toronto system were high prospects. All it takes is time.

It also wouldn’t hurt to have some brains.

Right now, one of the hottest commodities in the NHL is none other than Mats Sundin. The Leafs, however, need to clue in that he is a depreciating asset. The man is 36. With the right balance of strategy, innovation and risk though, they could convert on his potential very nicely.
I’m talking about a Marian Hossa – Mats Sundin trade.

Farfetched, maybe slightly. But you can’t argue that it’s flawless on paper.

Hossa is 28. He was a first round pick by the Ottawa Senators. Right now, he’s struggling on an Atlanta Thrashers team that just can’t seem to get everyone on the same page. They came in third last year, but have never won a single playoff game in their history. Even though they hold arguably the strongest one-two punch on offense, they sit lower than half the league in goals for.

All this, while a certain Ilya Kovalchuk of the same team is excelling as the goal leader in the NHL. Mats Sundin could be the final piece of the puzzle. Right now, he is one assist shy of leading the NHL in assists. Even more, as good as his numbers are in the regular season, he simply explodes in the playoffs, and has more experience there than the entire Atlanta organization. The Thrashers need a short term answer, and Sundin is the best choice to carry them to the title this year.

Of course, we’re speaking strictly hypothetically here, but if such a deal were to fall through, the Leafs should take their trade contract and run.

Hossa is useless right now. But slumps come and go. In his last four NHL seasons, Hossa averaged 89 points, more than Sundin has to show for himself. It won’t take someone of this talent even three more months to shake off his current scoring pace. In five years, at age thirty four, he will be at the peak of his career.

This is my plan for victory. In five years, the Stanley Cup might be more in Toronto than a showcase at the Hall of Fame downtown. In five years, Toronto could be a contender.

In five years, Toronto could snap a streak forty years long and counting. In five years, Toronto could be saying, once and for all, ‘this is the year.’

And in five years, I will be reminding you: you heard it here first.

That is how I would manage things. That is my plan ‘A.’ And while I strongly believe in what I say, I understand why you might simply not believe that a championship in Toronto is possible.

Therefore, I have one more thing to say. If all else fails… seriously consider investing in some Ottawa real estate.

Sundin is better at thiry six than most of the NHL
23   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex Posted - 12/09/2007 : 12:51:32
I came in second by the way, was told I spoke too fast. And oh yes, I lost to someone talking about FaceBook.

Habs get number 25 this year
Alex Posted - 12/09/2007 : 12:50:50
Final copy, which I presented: (I had to shorten it to make it five minutes)

Toronto Maple Leafs.

Boo me off the podium and we’ll end right here.

We’ve all given up hope. They’re bad, end of story.

Ironically, Toronto is the most successful market in hockey; they are worth 43 million dollars per year net. The Air Canada Centre is sold out every single game.

Yet the last three teams to win a Stanley Cup were Anaheim, Carolina and Tampa Bay. Frustrating, really.

It’s a sad day when more of us know about the Leafs last cup in 1967, than about Canada’s confederation in 1867.

What’s worse, the Leafs have 5 million general managers. Every person in Toronto feels they should be running the show.

All this confusion, but what really is to blame for recent failure?

I can go through the faults of the system without even thinking.

So, for the next five minutes, I will assume the role of John Ferguson Junior, the man in charge of the most storied franchise in hockey.

How would I be any different? It’s a little something I like to call ‘chilling out,’

Since his arrival, John Ferguson has acquired about 40 notable players. With all due respect, they were absolutely useless.

Ron Francis, Joe Nieuwendyk, Jeff O’Neil, Jason Allison, Eric Lindros and Michael Peca are all arguably future Hall of Famers. In Toronto, they were about as useful as a bunch of pylons.

Why think twice about these guys when no one else wants them?

Nicely put, Mr. Ferguson is selfish.

The other option was plain old dumb.

As Paul Maurice put it: ‘The two hardest jobs in Canada are being Prime Minister, and general manager of Toronto.’

The media is always on his back. He, in turn, tries to find short term solutions to get himself out of the spotlight. He creates a whole bunch of fanfare by signing old ‘have-beens’, and making us believe that this year is indeed the year.

After a preseason win, fans are cheering ‘Stanley Cup’ in the streets. But by the time we’re under .500, the city is going after the Ferguson-scapegoat.

The Toronto Maple Leafs are primarily a business venture. Larry Tanenbaum has a hidden agenda called filling seats.

When big name players are in Toronto, money is in Toronto. And if they win a few games – well that’s an added bonus.

Their goalie can’t save a beach ball; their offence is simply nonexistent… only the defense can get things right. Hey, at least they’re scoring!

With only one minor setback; will someone please tell Bryan McCabe that he’s supposed to be putting the puck in the opposing net, not his own!

Perhaps worst of all though, is the picture our city is painting for the game. Nobody is interested in watching sixty minutes of flying pucks.

But in the interest of avoiding headaches, Ferguson neglects buying support for the one man show of Mats Sundin or hiring some quality trainers; instead he does a disservice to the league and the sport.

I, for one, am sick of it. We have the most loyal fan base in the industry! As a reward, they go ahead and take advantage of us by playing on our passion.

The city stands at a crossroads. Do we care to see another decade of mediocre hockey clubs? Or rather, is it time for change?

I say we do something to get our boys back in the finals.

Easier said than done is the only argument that is keeping Ferguson his job. But, is that in fact the case? I have a plan that can get us from here to the top.

I fail to see the difference between a tenth place finish and a fifteenth. Either way, you’re hitting the golf course early.

Stop shooting yourself in the foot, and rebuild now.

On the bright side, it does mean better selection of young talent come the spring.

Logic would compel anyone to agree that if you build your own talent rather than buy someone’s used up assets, you will be getting more bang for your buck.

Justin Pogge, now a third string goaltender, should be anchoring a Stanley Cup run by the time he is 26.

Take anyone under 28. Add the budding farm players Toronto owns the rights to, and you have the superstars of tomorrow.

It’s funny, because these guys are just benchwarmers. But consider this.

Daniel Alfredsson was a sixth round draft choice. Henrik Zetterberg is a seventh rounder. They have led the NHL in points this season.

Meanwhile, all the talent in the Toronto system are high prospects. Lock these guys up.

That is step one.

Another problem with Toronto is that they throw away anything they get in the entry drafts. Big mistake.

It’s time to learn that trading picks away for players that are either over the hill or have yet to prove their worth is taking a step backwards, not forwards. Read my lips: no more trading!

That is step two.

Think for a moment.

Right now, one of the hottest commodities in the NHL is none other than Mats Sundin. Clue in that he is a depreciating asset. The man is 36. With the right balance of strategy, innovation and risk, you could convert on his potential very nicely.

While we’re at it, exercise the options on the lucrative trade bait that is Bryan McCabe, Hal Gill, Pavel Kubina, Jason Blake, Mark Bell and Vesa Toskala. A couple of right moves could land you with the leaders of 2012.

Cashing in on what we already own. That, my friends, is step three.

The final piece of the puzzle is learning from history.

Lack of work ethic, conditioning and discipline has taken us from ‘OK’ to ‘bad’. We can’t have players sitting in the penalty box for half a game, nor be the league-leader in goals allowed, and expect to get any farther than March.

You know what else? Enough with slackers who earn millions for sloppy performances. If you don’t play to win, why are you still getting ice time?

The team of 2012 will be different. They will be young. They will be talented. They will be in shape. They will be disciplined. And, they will be winning.

In five years, Toronto could be a contender.

In five years, Toronto could be saying, once and for all, ‘this is the year.’

And in five years, I will be reminding you: you heard it here first.

I would clean up the act like never before. Stanley Cup, here we come.

For those still in doubt, there is nothing more I can do than leave you with one last piece of advice. If all else fails… seriously consider moving to Ottawa!

Habs get number 25 this year
Antroman Posted - 12/01/2007 : 10:53:53
It is too bad, but if the Leafs finish last and are in the running for Tavaras, I'm sure with their rotten luck they would lose the lottery and not get him anyway? If it wasn't for bad luck this team would have none at all!!!!
ooohboy123 Posted - 12/01/2007 : 09:02:48
ur totally right i dont think Ferguson knows what hes doing with this franchise neither does paul maurice
Antroman Posted - 11/19/2007 : 21:04:49
I happen to like John Ferguson but I also feel bad for him at the same time. Most everything he has done seems to work out badly for him after starting out as good moves. The Raycroft deal was a disaster. Signing Blake to a long term deal isn't working out to date with Blake only potting two goals thus far. Re-signing Tucker for three years instead of trading him last year for a draft pick or a younger body when Tucker had some value was also a mistake. Allot of people think Kubina was signed long term for too much money as well although he was playing his best hockey as a Leaf just before he got hurt. Playing along side Kaberle when McCabe was hurt didn't hurt him any. Paul Maurice is Fergie's guy and so far his record is not overly good. The guy just seems to be snake bit a little. The jury is still out on the Toskala/Bell deal but I have not been overly impressed with either one to date although Toskala looked pretty damn good against the Sens the other night. I do think his eye for grabbing free agents and his drafting has been decent. I particularly like Devereau and his effort and I think Tlusty is going to be a good NHLer. I do not think firing him at this stage is the right approach as the team has not been playing that badly the last few weeks and they look like they are on the right track. Who knows, maybe Blake will catch fire and score twenty five goals after Christmas and Toskala will continue to shine from this point on and we will get a break from all the injuries to key people for the balance of the season. Maybe they make the playoffs and win a round? If all that happens then I guess old Fergie will get a new contract and everyone might forget the Raycroft deal. On the other hand, if I'm the owners and most of these things do not happen, then it's "good night nurse" to Johnny F.
leafsfan_101 Posted - 11/19/2007 : 16:16:08
no offense but do any of you have a head. What GM in their right mind would trade a young gun like Perry/Kunitz or Wolski/Statsny for a 36 year old. NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!!
nashvillepreds Posted - 11/19/2007 : 15:15:16
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9253

Toronto's strategy should be to play terrible enough to finish far in last next season. (shouldnt be too hard)

Then they can get Tavares ... sounds like I am joking but otherwise they really will not have a chance within as much as the next 10 years plus.

I might actually consider this jokes this is like beyond a last resort, if they really want JFJ fired this is what they should do.

GO PREDATORS GO
Guest9253 Posted - 11/19/2007 : 12:18:24
Toronto's strategy should be to play terrible enough to finish far in last next season. (shouldnt be too hard)

Then they can get Tavares ... sounds like I am joking but otherwise they really will not have a chance within as much as the next 10 years plus.
Guest9250 Posted - 11/19/2007 : 09:37:51
Well Alex I find it amusing that you feel one of the most selfish and heartless players to ever play the game would help Toronto win a championship. LMAO Hossa has obvious skill I agree but he has about as much passion for hockey as the Teachers Pension Fund. I don't think he will be the reason anyone wins a championship.
Guest7675 Posted - 11/19/2007 : 08:25:56
I think Juice32 said it, if eiother Kunitz and Perry came over or Wolski or Statsny. I think the anaheim deal would never happen but the colorado one could but i think you would probably see Svatos instead or Wolski. And if i saw that deal go threw i think Svatos would turn out like Antropov (when he's playing like his head was cut off)
juice32 Posted - 11/19/2007 : 07:57:25

Great job Alex!!

I've often though about writing this same type of letter myself..maybe for a ugulgy @ JFJ's funeral.

Just a couple comments. I think you should focus more on youth. its great that you mentioned steen, stajan, wellwood, etc. but what about the other youth around the NHL that the Leafs could possibly pick up by dumping some of the old guys. Youth is going to be the key for the future of any team, so why not make it prominent.

I'm also not so sure about the Hossa deal. I personally think that picking up to good second line potentially 1st line) guys would be the better option here. Sundin could fetch a Corry Perry/Chris Kunitz or Paul Stansy/Woltik Woski type deal with maybe throwing in one of the Leafs higher paid defensemen (not to point elbows @ McCabe or Kubina).

All in all, a very good paper. You hit the nail on the head mentioning that the ultimate goal of the Leafs managing is to sell seats with the Stanley cup far outta sight.
Alex Posted - 11/18/2007 : 08:16:01
Guest9329 kudos to you, i dont usually admit im wrong but you are right about the one year contract situation... i think its true that we all, including myself, overlook

still though, you cannot tell me that acquring the players i mentioned helped the organization. there were so many more options .... pressure or not, when you're in charge of the maple leafs, the hottest market in nhl, you should have some brains and think that if you do something of worth, maybe you will get a longer contract next year and more time to prove yourself

snowball effect
---

Guest9329 Posted - 11/18/2007 : 08:07:56
To say Leetch, Francis, Nieuwendyk, Belfour and Peca did nothing is pretty stupid. Nieuwendyk was amazing, Leetch did fantastic in his short stint here, Francis is some fancy, skill player, he's a solid consistant player and did exactly what was expected. Belfour was absolutely fantastic and kept the leafs contending, and Peca was great when healthy.

So I'd eliminate that bit of your speech with a little more accurate writing.

Also, you could try mentioning the fact that JFJ has been handicapped with a one year contract for the past couple years, and has no choice but to trade away the future for attempts at the present.

Also, mention that he has found a few diamonds in the rough like Chad Kilger. And John Pohl. Both acquired for nothing and have (for the most part) earned a fairly regular spot on the roster. I know Pohl isn't right now, but whatever.

Also, he didn't give up on Antropov like everyone has been saying for years, and now look.

That being said, I'm not a lover of JFJ, I think he has to go. But I'm sick of the one sided arguments against him. He's getting screwed by the board and everyone who wants him out. Tanenbaum and Petty are the ones that NEED to be fired.
leafsfan_101 Posted - 11/18/2007 : 07:48:26
I think if you want to come off as a guru do this. I like how you have put emphasis on young talent, but talk about the types of players that will be in the draft this year. Any franchise players that could be drafted. Well there is.

Steven Stamkos is the highly touted #1. He will be great for any team. And then there are the two cornerstone defenseman that have the total package, Alex Piertrangelo and Drew Doughty. Google these guys and look at their stats and their size. Definatly players that you could build around.

There are other good guys in this draft class, like Luke Shenn, Michael Del Zotto, Kyle Beach and Colton Teubert. If you put a great emphasis on drafting it shows a promising future later on. And think of it this way. If any of the guys I mentioned pan out into superstars you can claim you found them to your buddies and are the guru of hockey.
Alex Posted - 11/17/2007 : 22:52:51
thanks guys
i changed it up a little bit
i took the advice of making it clear the 1. 2. 3. list of steps i would take
i put a lot more emphasis on keeping young talent
and also, i touched on cashing in on the trade bait that the likes of bryan mccabe and hal gil, for example, hold. they wont be around for the cup run of 2012. but if you trade them, you could get your hands on some Erik Johnsons or even Dion Phaneufs who will be an integral part of your franchise.

any other ideas?

the contest is soon, ill post my final draft in the near future

andyhack Posted - 11/17/2007 : 08:28:31
That's a pretty interesting speech Alex.

I think one thing you might try to do is set out under maybe three or four general headings what steps you would take if you were the G.M. In other words, once you reach the "Solutions" part of the speech, clearly say at the beginning of that part something like, "Okay, so where do we go from here? Well, I have a Three Point Plan. First ... ," and then later on. "The next point in my plan is ...". I think this will help with the organization which was already suggested to you.

The other thing you may want to try to do, if possible, is indirectly include some reference to a famous speech but of course make it apply to hockey and the Leafs. If you have time, read through Kennedy's inaugural speech for example (you can find it online I'm sure). There are great lines in there about battles or about negotiations which perhaps can be twisted somehow into Leaf/hockey lingo. Things like that sometimes add a little extra something to a speech, and if your teacher is a baby boomer like me, he or she might really appreciate it.
irvine Posted - 11/16/2007 : 21:27:43
If I were John Ferguson Jr. I would talk the owner in to selling the team or moving them. The end. :)

Senators Nation. Leafs Nation? Who?

Irvine
leafsfan_101 Posted - 11/16/2007 : 19:59:40
Things I noticed that seemed wrong:
1). The Hossa deal would never happen. Don't even dream like that. Sundin is 36 and Hossa is 28. Waddel isn't a retard.
2). Steen, Stajan and Antropov will never be "core" guys on a team. And Pogge wont help the Leafs to a Cup in 5 years.

I really liked the speech. It was well thought out and very convincing. I think the Leafs should keep their draft picks from now on. No more short term solutions.

Good Luck
Guest1757 Posted - 11/16/2007 : 16:58:20
First of all, you are right the Leafs will not make the playoffs again!!!!

If you ask my opinion and you did at the beginning, The Leafs have too much European talent. The Europeans have just that talent but no heart. If you think back for the past 10 years of Stanley Cup winners, see who carried them there in the playoffs. Anaheim - Pronger, Neidermeyer. Tampa, St. Louis, Richards, Vincent L. Carolina
Brindamour, Stall, and I could go on. The heart and soul of the last 10 Stanley cup winners have either been Canadian or American, Modanno in Dallas, but they had Hull and nieuwendyk as well.

Your right Toronto has to rebuild. I would start at the top and Fire Ferguson, Trade Sundin, and a couple of other Europeans . Antropov is good when he feels like playing but he takes a game off every now and then. Hossa would be the last guy I would go for, I would trade for draft picks and pressure my scouting staff to find me North American talent because there is alot of it out there.

Thanks for reading

OILINONTARIO Posted - 11/16/2007 : 15:16:35
It all sounds great to me! Fly definitely gave you some valuable constructive criticism. Who can deny that the Leafs need to rebuild right now, besides those who beleive that the Leafs needed to rebuild four years ago?

If the Hossa trade were possible, JFJ would be nuts not to make it happen. Very well thought out. Good luck.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.
nashvillepreds Posted - 11/16/2007 : 15:01:14
A couple moves I would make:

Dump McCabe, they've tried to get him going again, he should be playing 3rd line or minor leagyue hockey the way he's going this season.

Picking up Hossa wouldn't be a bad idea, getting rid of the team captain for him though? I wouldn't make that move, I'd maybe give Tucker away, I bet some team can make good use of him.

Also, I would give Antropov and gill away, They're both slow and don't do their jobs right in my eyes.

Pretty good speech, depending what grade you're in. I'd say it should get you a good mark.

GO PREDATORS GO
PuckNuts Posted - 11/15/2007 : 23:28:12
Sorry, all that to find out that you think Hossa is the saviour in Toronto...

No one individual will ever save the Leafs, it has been tried before.

You are right, we all think we could do a better job, so why not get better educated, involved in hockey, work your way up the ladder, and then when you are offered the Gm position in Toronto you can build your heart out...

Good Luck...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

fly4apuckguy Posted - 11/15/2007 : 19:49:18
Okay...I can evaluate a bit (I happen to be in the education field).

1. Work on your organization. It "jumps" a bit. Make sure it has sections that work separately, but tell the story when strung together. Introduction, negatives, positives, future plans, summarize, conclusion.

2. Keep it upbeat and keep it classy. Don't say "It helps to have some brains" or "it sucks" , "old farts" or "Hossa is useless right now". Teachers (or whomever is evaluating this) prefer language that says the same thing in a more elegant way. It shows that you really thought about your topic, and it's not just a bar-room discussion amongst dudes. I'm not saying to make it totally without humor, but I've been a judge at speech competitions (uh-huh, I'm very cool, I know), and I want the speaker to keep it classy, and not sink to low-brow stuff to make a point.

3. Keep the passion. I can tell this means a lot to you. That's going to be important when speaking in public. Your listeners will stay interested because you will draw them in.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do great. You have a great body of work there to tinker with! Nice job.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page