Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Forum Rules and Announcements
 Point Updates Getting Later and Later...Why?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4462 Posted - 12/02/2008 : 01:43:45
I ask if you have nothing POSITIVE to contribute in this post than please do not say anything at all. I do not need to here the usual retread crap about how this is a free site, yadda, yadda, yadda. Get over it and let people speak their mind(s) freely.

Anyways...admins, I am wondering why the points updates keep getting later and later as the season wears on? Late last season and early this season the updates would happen around/shortly after 3am Eastern, now the updates are almost happening at 5am Eastern.

I find it hard to believe the later updates are due to the creation of more pools since as previously mentioned late last season the updates were happening early.

Thank you just looking for useful information, not abuse.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest6567 Posted - 12/02/2008 : 11:58:03
quote:
Originally posted by admin

Hey gang, let our distinguished guest be; it is indeed a very legitimate question.

To be clear the stats have completed no later than 1:54am PST all year thus far (with one exception which we debugged and fixed the next day). So this would put it at 4:54am EST.

But your observation is correct that as the season wears on it takes longer for the stats to calculate. This is because of three things:

1) There are constantly more GAMES to process
2) There are constantly more POOLS to process
3) There are constantly more TRADES to process (this is a big one)

Because we are a free service we do not pay for a stats feed which is quite expensive. So at this time we enter our stats manually so we have to wait until the games are completed before we start our batch run for the night. The NHL often makes changes to stats AFTER the games finish so we like to give those games a little time so the corrections are made BEFORE we begin data entry. This practice minimizes stats updates/changes the next day. Ultimately this means that we can't really start our batch run before midnight.

Typically around the middle of the season we optimize our system which speeds it up again to bring us to the finish line.

Obviously on the West Coast we don't notice the stats finishing later because of the time difference but out in the east (especially the kind folks in NFLD) it is noticed more. Although there will be exceptions, typically the stats will finish no later than 7am EST late in the season.

Last year we upgraded our existing servers during the playoff season which really helped overall! Next year we hope to put the site on NEW servers which will enhance the performance even further!

Anyway guest 4462, it was a great question and I hope this is a satisfactory answer for you.

Thank you for your detailed reply, and thank you for answering and complimenting my question. Yes the answer is satisfactory, quite interesting to know the stats are entered manually, it takes quite a bit of commitment to enter the stats manually every night there is a game, which is almost every night during the regular season.
Guest6662 Posted - 12/02/2008 : 11:45:33
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Hey, this is a legitimate question and I am sure that Admin with answer it clearly. It is no one's business what people do with their time and what time they are up and when they sleep. For all anyone know, this person might be a police officer working through the night keeping you save while you sleep. Perhaps he (or she) enjoy coming home and taking a look through their hockey pool before the settle down for the evening.

There is absolutely no reason to question what people do with their time, and definately not on this site. Please keep conversations of the non-personal nature.

Thank you for your support, those are some intelligent comments you make.
Guest6662 Posted - 12/02/2008 : 11:44:20
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

Who cares why he is up lol No1 knows where he actually is, and I know when my pool is like it is right now, the top 4 separated by 4 points, I cant wait to see my points ASAP. So it is not a big deal, he only asked why they are getting later, maybe its the only time he gets a chance to view it right now due to work or other things.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.

Thank you for your support, great enthusiasm too!
admin Posted - 12/02/2008 : 11:34:36
Hey gang, let our distinguished guest be; it is indeed a very legitimate question.

To be clear the stats have completed no later than 1:54am PST all year thus far (with one exception which we debugged and fixed the next day). So this would put it at 4:54am EST.

But your observation is correct that as the season wears on it takes longer for the stats to calculate. This is because of three things:

1) There are constantly more GAMES to process
2) There are constantly more POOLS to process
3) There are constantly more TRADES to process (this is a big one)

Because we are a free service we do not pay for a stats feed which is quite expensive. So at this time we enter our stats manually so we have to wait until the games are completed before we start our batch run for the night. The NHL often makes changes to stats AFTER the games finish so we like to give those games a little time so the corrections are made BEFORE we begin data entry. This practice minimizes stats updates/changes the next day. Ultimately this means that we can't really start our batch run before midnight.

Typically around the middle of the season we optimize our system which speeds it up again to bring us to the finish line.

Obviously on the West Coast we don't notice the stats finishing later because of the time difference but out in the east (especially the kind folks in NFLD) it is noticed more. Although there will be exceptions, typically the stats will finish no later than 7am EST late in the season.

Last year we upgraded our existing servers during the playoff season which really helped overall! Next year we hope to put the site on NEW servers which will enhance the performance even further!

Anyway guest 4462, it was a great question and I hope this is a satisfactory answer for you. We'll continue to make improvements to our site and its systems to keep this an enjoyable service.
Axey Posted - 12/02/2008 : 10:44:05
Who cares why he is up lol No1 knows where he actually is, and I know when my pool is like it is right now, the top 4 separated by 4 points, I cant wait to see my points ASAP. So it is not a big deal, he only asked why they are getting later, maybe its the only time he gets a chance to view it right now due to work or other things.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Beans15 Posted - 12/02/2008 : 07:20:00
Hey, this is a legitimate question and I am sure that Admin with answer it clearly. It is no one's business what people do with their time and what time they are up and when they sleep. For all anyone know, this person might be a police officer working through the night keeping you save while you sleep. Perhaps he (or she) enjoy coming home and taking a look through their hockey pool before the settle down for the evening.

There is absolutely no reason to question what people do with their time, and definately not on this site. Please keep conversations of the non-personal nature.
vanillagorilla Posted - 12/02/2008 : 02:55:08
okee doke smokee....not a word that this service is free....(ADMIN EDIT - CONTENT REMOVED - Trying to stay constructive here )
happy 40th anniversary leaf lemmings

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page