Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 Point Value

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4518 Posted - 03/18/2010 : 18:54:16
hey hockey fans
can anybody help me with a good point structure for keeping track of goals, assists and the rest of the points required.
I have been using:
G= 2
A= 1
and generally all the other points around that
(it is for a playoff pool as well)
Thanks
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest8996 Posted - 03/26/2010 : 12:19:14
Haha well i just meant to name some examples of goalies who were good for 40 ish wins in a season vs the guy who plays the puck (too much).
Utemin Posted - 03/26/2010 : 11:22:01
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8976

The pool that has the huge bonus for goalie assists is pretty rediculous IMO because goalies like Turco become more important that goalies like Nabokov, Luongo etc.

a small reply but Nabby is one of the best passing goalies in the league! (15 points is ridiculous though they deserve that for a goal)
Guest8976 Posted - 03/25/2010 : 09:51:34
I am in two pools right now. One of them is as follows:

Goal, Assist, Goalie Win: 1 point
HatTrick: 5 bonus points
Goalie Assist: 15 bonus points
Goalie Goal: 50 bonus points
Shut-Out: 5 bonus points

The other is much simpler and I prefer it:

Forward Goal, Assist: 1 point
Defence Goal: 2 points
Defence Assist: 1 point
Goalie Win: 2 points
Shut-Out: 3 bonus points
HatTrick: 3 bonus points

The pool that has the huge bonus for goalie assists is pretty rediculous IMO because goalies like Turco become more important that goalies like Nabokov, Luongo etc.
flyguy531 Posted - 03/25/2010 : 04:31:21
Ours is a variation on everything listed, except that we also have a Goon Squad. 2 enforcers per team that collect the same as any other player, but they also accumulate .25 pts per penalty minute. On average, by our point structure, they collect about 40% of the points that a top player would collect.
Utemin Posted - 03/24/2010 : 22:00:21
This year i decided it to go like this
Forward
goal=1
assist=1
SHgoal=+1
HatTrick=+5
Shoot out winner=1
Defense
goal=2
rest same as forward
goalie
win=2
assist=5
shutout=+5
overtimeshootoutwin= 1 point only
goal=20 points i think

Top point getting owned player in my poll is Brodeur, then Crosby, Ovechkin, Henrik.
n/a Posted - 03/19/2010 : 22:23:49
Some points on my favoured point structures for hockey pools:

1) I like more points for goals than assists - always have, always will. It is, no matter the argument, the final result. And yes, sometimes the assist is more skillful, but in the end, you need to score the goal for there to even be an assist. Whether it's a 1.5/1 or 2/1 or 3/2, is debateable . . . I prefer the 2:1 ratio myself.

2) The goaltender cannot be overvalued . . . it IS the most valuable position - so, IMHO, it should be given that status in pools. That is why I try to stack on lots of extras - 2 points for an assist and a reg. win, an extra 3-5 points for a shutout, an extra 2 points for an O/T win, an extra 3 points for a shootout win. I also like to add the 25 point goalie goal rule . . . a nice bonus for the lucky bum who might have the one goalie who scores a goal some year

4) I add points for hattricks, shorthanded goals, o/t goals . . . it adds excitement, and more importantly, with something like a +10 points for a hattrick, it gives guys a chance to get back in the race if they are far behind . . . 50 points behind means a couple of hattricks and a good night away, still a chance.

5) I love to add in defenceman +/- . . . gives one the chance to pick a d-man that gets maybe 30 points but has a plus minus over 20 . . . and it also gives one the chance to go minus, lol - lots of fun, and it's a really hard stat to predict for 95% of the players (see: Wideman last year and this year)

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Alex116 Posted - 03/19/2010 : 15:38:21
quote:
Originally posted by Nucks07

I got 1 point for a goal and a assist 1 bonus point for a hat-trick
goalies get 2 points for a win and 1 bonus point for a shutout

I like those, simple, and the goalie is not overvalued. I'd prefer to see goalies get points like this that would make them likely 2nd or 3rd round picks at best rather than first rounders! I'd almost prefer they not even get the bonus point to keep the top ones around 80-90 points!
Nucks07 Posted - 03/19/2010 : 15:11:27
I got 1 point for a goal and a assist 1 bonus point for a hat-trick
goalies get 2 points for a win and 1 bonus point for a shutout
Alex116 Posted - 03/19/2010 : 14:36:08
Wow, some interesting pools. Almost every pool i've gone in is simple as 1 pt for a goal and 1 pt for an assist. No extras! One i go in involves goales at 2 for a win and a bonus 2 for a shutout. Personally, i don't like goalies in pools, especially in pools that force you to take one. One other pool i do, give 2 points for dmen goals. I don't mind this but the more you include, the more work you really have to do as far as your research goes.

Nuxfan, that's a ton of extra work do investigate. While i do consider myself to know a fair bit about the NHL, i'm not willing to put in the time it'd take to predict all those stats. I will say, OT goals and shoot out goals i absolutely hate being part of the stats, aside from the usual goal / assists. Very difficult to predict! Looking at your stats, if i read'em correctly, a dman pp goal would be worth 5? And, if that goal's in OT, it'd be worth 8?? I have to assume that Mike Green went either first or second overall with Ovie being the other????

Looking at last years stats, in just 68 games, Green would be worth 174 pts without even factoring in any OT goals (which i'm sure he had a couple / few?) or hat tricks? Ovie in 11 more games was worth approx 190? Those are huge totals!
Guest0665 Posted - 03/19/2010 : 13:43:02
thanks guys
anybody have any ideas about goalie and team points?
I have G=3 A=2 so maybe a goalie win +3? i also have -1 for a goalie loss. any ideas would be chill
thanks
da pimp
nuxfan Posted - 03/19/2010 : 12:50:04
My pool is a bit complicated, it has the following:

Assist - 1pt
Goal - 2pt
dman goal - 3pt
PPG - goal+1
PP Dman goal - dman goal + 2
OT goal (not shootout) - goal + 3
SHG - goal + 4
Hat trick - additional 3

I like the multi-layered points, as it makes you think about player intangibles rather than just plain points. People that know something about hockey tend to do better in these sorts of pools.

Guest4746 Posted - 03/19/2010 : 12:21:48
a better way then 2-for a goal and 1-for a assist is 3-for a goal and 2-for a assist, that way instead of a goal being worth double it's only worth a third more, just my 2 cents
impropriety Posted - 03/19/2010 : 11:48:55
You can typically fix up that problem by making sure that similar players are available in each round of your draft.

Make sure that you don't put Thornton and Heatley in the same round, for instance. This way Thornton is still a difference maker.
Guest7107 Posted - 03/19/2010 : 11:42:37
In our pool we currently do :
1 point for goal
1 point for assist
2 points for goalie win
1 extra point if the goalie gets a shutout
1 extra point for overtime goals (just something extra)

I do not like 2 points for a goal as it really can change the way a draft goes players like Thornton, H. Sedin, and Matin St.Louis for example seem to be less impact players that way.
Your pool though can be whatever you like some people also include plus - minus, penalties, fights, hat tricks, shoot out goals etc etc.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page