Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 Playoff poll starting

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Utemin Posted - 03/24/2010 : 21:55:17
I am getting ready to start my playoff poll this year It looks like I am going to get 4th pick so Ovi is gonna go first which player should I pick?

Any other playoff poll chat can go on here.
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest9103 Posted - 04/09/2010 : 06:32:37
I've been introduced to a new style of pool... They called it "pyramid style". You pick 5 players from 1 team, 4 each from 2 teams, 3 from 3 teams, 2 from 4 teams and 1 from 5 teams. I had never heard of it, but it's kind of interesting. You can't repick, so you obviously want to go deep on the teams that will win several series.

Thinking of going:
5- Chicago (Kane, Toews, Hossa, Keith, Sharp)
4- Washington (Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, Green)
4- Detroit (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Holmstrom)
3- Pittsburgh (Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar)
3- New Jersey (Parise, Zajac, Elias)
3- San Jose (Thornton, Heatley, Marleau)
2- Vancouver (Sedin, Sedin)
2- Buffalo (Roy, Connelly)
2- Ottawa (Alfredsson, Spezza)
2- Colorado (Stastny, Mueller)
1- Los Angeles (Kopitar)
1- Montreal (Cammeleri)
1- Philly (Carter)
1- Phoenix (Doan)
1- Boston (Bergeron)

Of course, lots of that will depend on who Detroit winds up playing. After going through it, I was surprised at how low I placed Vancouver, considering Kesler & Burrows both have decent outputs.

What do you guys think? What would you do differently? Have you ever heard of this type of pool? :-)
Guest5748 Posted - 04/08/2010 : 18:44:16
We are looking for a couple more people to join our draft to be held monday night (april 12) in the Vancouver area. If interested, please email me back at robertom@telus.net
Guest4271 Posted - 04/05/2010 : 01:27:13
Slozo, I also agree with you and actually Detroit is healthy and is my pick to come out of the West.............. the East I may have to go with NJ Devils, as Washington could be gone first round, especially if the y play the Rangers and a hot goalie
Guest2284 Posted - 03/26/2010 : 15:26:26
i agree with slozo, i LOVE playoff draft pools, my friends and i get a blast from them, their fun...ALL STRATEGY. 3-4 years back i picked last and started with Carolina ( 15 player pool ) after 4-5 picks i went with Edmonton ( bigtime pronger fan ), after going back and forth i ended up with 12 players in the stanley cup final, LMAO, other 7 friends didnt have a player. I pretty much had 3 points on every goal scored in the finals...NOBODY was even close to me...LOL...had bragging rights fora long time...plus a little pocket $$ :)
n/a Posted - 03/26/2010 : 05:02:46
I know this may come as a shock to you folks, but I totally disagree with Beans

I LOVE PLAYOFF DRAFT POOLS!!!

See, the fun of the playoffs is the fact that because it's a new and different season, you invariably get some pluggers racking up big points, and the very fact that you have to go deep into the line-ups makes it a bit more skillful. Plus, these days, it really is wide open . . . when picking tenth or 15th or 20th (if you can get that many for a playoff draft) everyone has a chance.

Utemin - don't be so sure OV goes first, for me it'd be a coin toss between him and Crosby or the top star from who you think the western conference finalist will be (Marleau? Kane? H.Sedin? Zetterberg?).

From the East, it really does seem like a given that it will be Washington and Pittsburgh in the finals . . . with everyone ignoring dangerous teams like New Jersey and most importantly Buffalo. The West seems much more wide open and open to upsets nonetheless, and you will get many people picking players from teams like LA and Detroit to upset their opponents.

So my suggestion is this: use your 4th pick to get someone from the supposed East finalists first, whether it's Backstrom, Malkin, J.Staal, or Semin. I have a feeling that it is not going to be San Jose and Chicago coming from the west this year, so if there are upset teams going deep, you can always get good players from those teams later as everyone picks the favourites first.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Alex116 Posted - 03/25/2010 : 21:24:04
quote:
Originally posted by polishexpress

Now, I know you're joking in your reply, so my response is in jest as well.

Check the dictionary: the word pool does not have as its only connotation "where you swim," in fact it refers to any object, thing, idea that indicates a collection or grouping. (i.e. Vancouver fan's pooled their best arguments to defend Kesler from the onslaught of legumes (Like that one Alex?)))
---->Hockey "pool" a collection of players chosen in a draft of some sort...<---

It's good when those who post their thoughts on these forums have a good sense of humor!!!
I really wouldn't shy away from SJ players, though, they will get some points in the games they do play, and don't discount Vancouver, the Sedins will have massive points even if Van(would shock me) were to not make it past the first round.

LOVE IT!

As we all know, a pool is such a crap shoot! Upsets happen and it's always nice to have that feeling and go with your gut. I remember a guy last year going with Anaheim as the 8 seed with some mid and late picks and watched them upset the Sharks before bowing out to Detroit in7. Got him 13 games played. Guess who won the pool?
polishexpress Posted - 03/25/2010 : 20:51:42
Now, I know you're joking in your reply, so my response is in jest as well.

Check the dictionary: the word pool does not have as its only connotation "where you swim," in fact it refers to any object, thing, idea that indicates a collection or grouping. (i.e. Vancouver fan's pooled their best arguments to defend Kesler from the onslaught of legumes (Like that one Alex?)))
---->Hockey "pool" a collection of players chosen in a draft of some sort...<---

It's good when those who post their thoughts on these forums have a good sense of humor!!!
I really wouldn't shy away from SJ players, though, they will get some points in the games they do play, and don't discount Vancouver, the Sedins will have massive points even if Van(would shock me) were to not make it past the first round.
Alex116 Posted - 03/25/2010 : 19:52:09
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15
Vancouver is not a horrible pick but I wouldn't take anyone other than the Sedins.

WHAT??? Not even Kesler?

All kidding aside, i absolutely hate those drafts where you pick the top 20 or 25 and everyone can take any player. I much prefer the "snake" drafts and am usually in at least 3 and sometimes 4. Won all 4 a few years back and usually finish well enough to cover my costs or at least close to it. Not every year, but quite often.

I have no prob getting last pick (usually outta 10-12 teams) but would prefer to have a pick around the mid point. I find i can usually get a guy i really want then and even if it's the second best guy on a team, i often get the third best guy before the other guy who got the best. Whew, that sounded confusing as i typed it......
I also like the fact that the middle to late middle rounds you can go after a team you think will upset in round 1 and get you some points before maybe bowing out after the second round?

I do go in the "pick the top 25" or "pick one guy per box of 4" type pools but prefer a draft style much more. Besides, draft style usually means meeting up with the boys (and sometimes girls) for a few cold bevy's as well!
Utemin Posted - 03/25/2010 : 18:07:37
We bet bragging rights instead of money; it is only 5 people and me and another person are the only people who really know hockey I am probably picking 4th due to picks going in whoever got first in season picks last etc. I really do not want to pick any San Jose players due to last year me having 4 of them who did nothing for me; I am thinking i am going to pick Paul Stasny depending on who they are playing first. An Example of a limited pick match up would be Canucks vs Colorado, due to them (in my opinion) having the best chance. Alfredson would probably be high up on my pick list too due to him being on Ottawa.

check the dictionary pool means where you swim and doesn't say anything about sports . of course I actually mean pool I was just inhaling too many fumes from my cheese and jock strap .
Guest9103 Posted - 03/25/2010 : 17:46:39
quote:
First of all, NEVER join a playoff draft that is a snake type or a draft where you can not have the same players as someone else. They never work because of the limited number of teams involved and the number of players that dwindle out after the first round.

Funny.. I've won my pool 3 years running now, once as first pick, once as 6th and once as 11th (out of 12). As long as every even-numbered round goes in reverse order, it's pretty fair. You just have to adjust your strategy depending on the position lady luck decides to give you. Personally, I like being last the most just because it's easier to impose your will on the others and you don't have to be as reactive to everyone else's picks.
Beans15 Posted - 03/25/2010 : 17:32:09
First of all, NEVER join a playoff draft that is a snake type or a draft where you can not have the same players as someone else. They never work because of the limited number of teams involved and the number of players that dwindle out after the first round.

Now that has been established, to win a playoff draft, you need one strategy and a little bit of luck. Pick the 2 teams that will make the finals and take their three leading scorering forwards, 1 top scoring defensemen, and take the goalie on the team you think will win. Then fill in the gaps with the teams you figure will make the Conference finals.

For example, the last playoff pool that I won was 3 years ago. I picked Ottawa and Detroit in the final and I had Spezza, Alfredsson, and Heatley from Ottawa with Lidstrom, Datsuyk, and Zetterberg from Detroit. Osgood was my goalie, and I also took Getzlaf, Selanne, and Pronger.

I won by a land slide. In fact, I was so far ahead by the finals and because I had the big guns covered, it was over before the puck drop of the first game of the final series.

It's a feast or famine strategy. The past few years I've banked on SJ, which obviously has not worked.

If I was a betting man, I would go Washington and Pitt in the East with SJ and Chicago in the West. Vancouver is not a horrible pick but I wouldn't take anyone other than the Sedins. Kovalchuk and Parise would be ok as well.
nux-suk Posted - 03/25/2010 : 13:55:30
I think Polish Express has got it right. Although slumping, San Jose is very dangerous. Thornton cant possibly suck again can he? I would pick up one of those SJ boys.
Sensfan101 Posted - 03/25/2010 : 12:55:38
I'd take someone from Chicago probabley Kane or Toews but yea, it pretty much depends on which teams you like

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Guest2247 Posted - 03/25/2010 : 11:38:29
i would pick
1 Ovie...2 Crosby...3 Malkin 4...N.Backstrom...5 A.Semin
then a focus on the Sedins, maybe NJ`s top 2
Remember top 2 teams in the west may have to face Detroit early :) scary
Wash. has defensive/goalie ????, but their offense is scary, SPECIAL TEAMS are very, very important in the playoffs now, more than ever...too important maybe...too many games are being decided by NON-5 on 5 play in my opinion...league is just terrible with regard to penalities. Players dont even know what a penality is anymore.
Alex116 Posted - 03/25/2010 : 08:44:10
I thought maybe he was joking around after all the polls he started yesterday?

Whatever, i certainly wasn't trying to be a smartass, just trying to figure this utemin character out really....
polishexpress Posted - 03/25/2010 : 08:37:02
Alex, I can answer your question: its a spelling mistake, he means "pool" not "poll". in answering another thread, Utemin used the word "poll" when the context clearly implied that Utemin meant to use "pool", and the context above suggest the same.

It confused me too.

@Utemin: please use the word "pool", as the word "poll" means a gathering of opinion by means of a vote or ballot thanks!
Alex116 Posted - 03/25/2010 : 07:51:08
quote:
Originally posted by Utemin

I am getting ready to start my playoff poll this year It looks like I am going to get 4th pick so Ovi is gonna go first which player should I pick?

Any other playoff poll chat can go on here.

Utemin.....seriously, i can't figure you out. Are you serious with this. You've started countless "polls" and now you finally start an actual regular thread / topic and you refer to it as a "poll" instead of "pool". I'm serious, was that intentional? We haven't seem to be able to figure you out yet.

BTW, how do you know you're gonna pick 4th? Do you go by how you finish in the reg season pool or something? Most simply draw numbers or cards or whatever on draft day. Never heard of a group either having a pre-determined method or drawing numbers a few weeks before the season even ends? I'm really curious?

As for the pick at 4, it really depends on who you like to advance and who goes 1, 2 and 3. Assuming Ovie goes 1, if you like Pitts to advance to the cup and Crosby's still there, it's a no brainer to take him. If you like Wash to go, and Ovie, Backstrom and Semin all go, i'd take the top guy on whatever team you like from the west. This is all pretty obvious i'd think? Have you been in a playoff pool before?
Guest3356 Posted - 03/25/2010 : 06:00:13
Really depends on who you think is going to have a deep run, who is available and how many trades you get if you get any at all. I think a great pick that may not go as early as it should is Parise, he was money at the olympics and strives to win puts his heart and soul into every game. To me that is a player I want on a team that can make noise in the playoffs.
Guest4271 Posted - 03/25/2010 : 02:43:40
I wouldn't go too far with Washington, they meet a hot team with good goaltentending, and its going to look like the Olympics again, NO RUSSIANS, LMAO, can't wait
just1n Posted - 03/24/2010 : 23:16:04
Pool?
polishexpress Posted - 03/24/2010 : 22:09:29
One of the Sedins? Marleau? Heatley? Thornton? Backstrom? 4th pick will depend on 1-3. Also, take a look at previous years points of players on playoff teams to see how well they perform under pressure.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page