Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 Luongo or Schneider?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Walter.Ego Posted - 10/24/2010 : 23:26:47
Considering Luongo's mediocre numbers and 1-3-2 record, as well as Schneider's 3rd best in the league GAA and Save % with a 2-0 record, who should start Tuesday's game Vs Colorado? Schneider also started their last game: a 5-1 victory over Minnesota.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest4803 Posted - 10/27/2010 : 15:31:55
ORIGINAL JOKE ALERT!
Awesome One Posted - 10/27/2010 : 15:16:07
This is waaaaaaay to obvious to be a forum.

So the guy walks into the bar with a dog and starts to watch the oilers game. They score and the dog does a flip in the air. The bartender says "That was cool, what does he do when they win?" to which the guy replies "I don't know, I've only had him for 15 years."
Alex116 Posted - 10/26/2010 : 16:42:59
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2218

BEFORE the season started, I was telling my friends that Cory Schneider was an excellent goalie and that the Canucks could get a LOT for Luongo if they traded him now.....

Well then, give yerself a pat on the back bro!!! Maybe you should sign up with the screen name "Goalie Whisperer"???
Guest2218 Posted - 10/26/2010 : 16:13:06
BEFORE the season started, I was telling my friends that Cory Schneider was an excellent goalie and that the Canucks could get a LOT for Luongo if they traded him now.....
nuxfan Posted - 10/26/2010 : 15:05:37
"Roberto Luongo will play in goal tonight for the Canucks. Cory Schneider backstopped the Canucks in their last game, a 5-1 home-ice win Friday night over the Minnesota Wild.

"They decided to give Schneids a rest tonight, so I got a tap on the shoulder and I'm ready to go," joked Luongo, who has watched Schneider start and win the last two home games."

Gotta love a sense of humour.

n/a Posted - 10/26/2010 : 10:41:55
Funny poll. And you guys make fun of Leaf fans for premature excitement?!? lol

I actually saw that Minnesota game that Luongo started and where they lost badly . . . I saw one pretty stoppable goal, but other than that, I though Luongo played quite ok. The defence was out to lunch that game is what I would have said, certainly not because Roberto played a "stinker".

I'd play each goalie exactly how I planned to before the season, based on the back-up being competent (which he has shown to be) . . . nothing more, nothing less.

The sample size is too small to judge, especially considering the skill level and playing history of Luongo. He is a seasoned veteran who is consistently a top 5, at least top 10 goalie . . . you ride those guys out of "mini-slumps", you don't throw them by the wayside.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
nuxfan Posted - 10/26/2010 : 10:05:56
Statman and Walter - welcome to the forum. I'm assuming that both of you are Canucks fans, which is always welcome

Beans - speculating about your starting goalie in a particular game does not indicate you are jumping on or off the bandwagon. We support the team, and support whatever is working for the team to have the team win games.

Walter - it is terrible to continue to start Schneider for 3 reasons:

- Luongo is sensitive, and he will begin to question his abilities, overplay, etc. He will not be himself (rightly or wrongly), and we have seen what happens when Luongo is not himself. I don't want my 5.25M dollar goalie questioning himself, having doubts about his abilities, or being embroiled in a goalie controversy in year 1 of a 12 year contract. And neither do the Canucks.

- Luongo is a notoriously slow starter, this October is no different than October's past. We take it as part of the deal for having one of the best goalies on the planet, and the quid pro quo is that he is stellar in March/April/May (and hopefully beyond). To get him going, he needs to play games, and play he will. How many years have the Canucks followed a brutal October with a brilliant November and December?

- Luongo is one of the best goalies on the planet (I can't believe I'm quoting Beans in lauding Luongo!). While his numbers are not top-5 in the league right now, he is certainly not having a particularly bad start by any measure. He has been hot and cold, and that will work itself out. And we all know what happens when Luongo starts getting comfortable in November.

Luongo needs to play, and will play. But like I said, its nice to have a backup that is capable.
Walter.Ego Posted - 10/26/2010 : 02:19:44
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:

Can Schneider carry the Canucks? Tough to say

Dood, seriously. Schneider has played 2 games this year so far - TWO GAMES! Both were at home against inferior and/or tired teams, and both featured dominant offensive outputs to make it easier for him. I would argue Schnieds has barely been tested, never mind carry the team.

This is why I said it is inconclusive as to whether or not he can carrry the team.

Beans, you are correct, his numbers are really not so bad from last year.

But if Luongo is coming off a shaky start and Schneider is coming off two excellent starts, I really do not see what is so terrible about giving Schneider another go right after. I am not saying that he is the number one, but as long as he continues to play well, it may be a good idea to throw him in there.

But hate away. Call me a bandwagoner but I still dont see the connection. Thinking Cory Schneider should start 2 games in a row when hes playing well = Bandwagoner. Maybe there should just be a Bandwagon Thread. Or we could settle it over a game of Backgammon.
Statman Posted - 10/26/2010 : 00:06:48
There's certainly a lively debate that has sprung up out of this. Interestingly, the talk has somehow turned to the fairweather fans of Vancouver.

I will say that I have noticed that they have always been tough on goalies as this has been a bit of a goalie graveyard for the better part of 40 years. Other than perhaps Brodeur and McLean (and now Luongo, of course) there have been few quality netminders in the club's history, which seems to have burned into the collective consciousness of the city the fact that it's always the goalie's fault.

But other than that, are Vancouverites bandwagon jumpers any more than any other Canadian city? I hear booing in other cities a lot quicker than here. In fact you almost haven't heard it in Vancouver for the last decade as the Canucks have left their crappy 80's days far behind them.

But to get back on the original topic, Luongo needs to play to get back on top of his game, and though I've been impressed by Schneider's two games, they are just two games. That's all!

I will leave you with one last thought; "They're not booing, they're Looouing!"
Beans15 Posted - 10/25/2010 : 21:04:00
quote:
Originally posted by Walter.Ego

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Anyone who says they would go with Schneider over Luongo is a perfect example of the bandwagon jumping that makes me dislike Vancouver so friggin much.

I doubt the 32 people so far who have voted in Cory Schneider's favor are all Canuck fans, so I don't really see the corolation between that and bandwagoning Canucks fans. Also, I am certain that there are some Canucks fans who did indeed vote for Luongo. Keep in mind, as well, that the poll is not who should Vancouver have as their regular starter, it is who should start their NEXT game.

I would say that your comment is a perfect example of your biased opinion towards Canucks fans.

Yes, Luongo is the man, but he hasnt really been himself over the past year, finishing 18th and 19th in the league last season in GAA and Sv% respectively. He needs a kick in the ass, and if that means hes gotta be pullin splinters out of it, then so be it.

Can Schneider carry the Canucks? Tough to say. Luongo for sure can if hes on his game, which he was not last year, so the ultimate goal is to get him there. Start Cory Schneider.

If you are going to paint a picture, don't leave stuff out. Sure, Luongo was 18th and 19th in GAA and Sv%, but he was a unbelievably distant .12 GAA from the top 10. That works out to be the difference of a goal every 10 games. And his save % was 0.07% points away from the top ten. Don't talk like he was a huge distance from the top of the league because he wasn't.

Let's not forget he was 5th in the NHL in wins, faced the 10th most shot against, and started the 9th most games. So let's not get too excited about guys like Halak, Rask, or Hiller who all had better numbers but played far fewer games and faced far fewer shots.

Luongo is elite. He's been elite for ever. His numbers are top shelf and have been for ever. Bottom line, he wins games.

And I do have a bias towards some Canucks fans and this is telling me why I have my bias. Bandwagon jumpers. These people saying start Schneider are the same people who will hang him out to dry at his first bad outing.

nuxfan Posted - 10/25/2010 : 20:47:57
quote:

Can Schneider carry the Canucks? Tough to say

Dood, seriously. Schneider has played 2 games this year so far - TWO GAMES! Both were at home against inferior and/or tired teams, and both featured dominant offensive outputs to make it easier for him. I would argue Schnieds has barely been tested, never mind carry the team.

I will admit, he has looked sharp in the limited action he's had this year, which is great news:

- Vancouver has a reliable backup this year
- he will increase his value as trade bait

Luongo is actually having a surprisingly good October, for him. Take away the game in MIN, and he's been very good:

- The home opener was very strong (a 2-1 SO loss)
- the win vs FLA he was dominant, 1 goal on 42 shots
- The game vs ANA, the Canucks were unlucky and I faulted Luongo for neither of the last 2 goals - seriously, a 3-on-none facing Getzlaf/Perry/Ryan???
- The games vs LA and MIN were complete team meltdowns
- the OTL vs CHI was another strong game, 1 goal on 32 shots.

Luongo should start the next game, and a few after that as well. He will be back to his usual brilliant self in a couple of weeks.
Walter.Ego Posted - 10/25/2010 : 16:22:50
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Anyone who says they would go with Schneider over Luongo is a perfect example of the bandwagon jumping that makes me dislike Vancouver so friggin much.

I doubt the 32 people so far who have voted in Cory Schneider's favor are all Canuck fans, so I don't really see the corolation between that and bandwagoning Canucks fans. Also, I am certain that there are some Canucks fans who did indeed vote for Luongo. Keep in mind, as well, that the poll is not who should Vancouver have as their regular starter, it is who should start their NEXT game.

I would say that your comment is a perfect example of your biased opinion towards Canucks fans.

Yes, Luongo is the man, but he hasnt really been himself over the past year, finishing 18th and 19th in the league last season in GAA and Sv% respectively. He needs a kick in the ass, and if that means hes gotta be pullin splinters out of it, then so be it.

Can Schneider carry the Canucks? Tough to say. Luongo for sure can if hes on his game, which he was not last year, so the ultimate goal is to get him there. Start Cory Schneider.
Beans15 Posted - 10/25/2010 : 15:48:22
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

who's bandwagon jumping here Beans? You have to be actually on the bandwagon before you can jump off it...

Never been on the Vancouver bandwagon but I have stated many times that Luongo is one of the top 5 goalies in the league. That hasn't changed and will not change.
nuxfan Posted - 10/25/2010 : 15:10:02
who's bandwagon jumping here Beans? You have to be actually on the bandwagon before you can jump off it...
Beans15 Posted - 10/25/2010 : 14:48:38
I guess being one of the top 5 goalies on the planet for the past 5-7 years means nothing if some rookie comes in and plays 2 solid games.

Wow.

Luongo is the man until someone knocks him off the tower, and 2 games is not going to do it. Anyone who says they would go with Schneider over Luongo is a perfect example of the bandwagon jumping that makes me dislike Vancouver so friggin much.

No disrespect to all the legit Canuck fans out there, but this is simply laughable.
just1n Posted - 10/25/2010 : 14:20:45
I'm not a fan of the 12 year deal (10 million this year which is about 120k per game!!), but Luongo has only had one bad game this year, if I recall correctly the other games besides the Minnesota stinker were either lost in the shootout or lost by 1 goal. He's gunna play...

Two points though:

- About time they're practicing shootouts, doing a little better in that department would help

- Hopefully having a good, capable, hungry back-up that AV isn't afraid to play (and that's been demonstrated, two back-to-back home starts for Schneider) will help push Luongo a bit more while allowing him to get a few more nights off.
Guest3024 Posted - 10/25/2010 : 11:16:56
Just because Luongo is getting payed the big bucks doesn't necessarily mean he should be the bonafide starter. Rather, it should be because of his play, and for now, he isn't showing it. Give it to Schneider who has been, and maybe Roberto will wake up a little. Perhaps with a little competition going on between goalies, Luongo will finally return to his past form of being the best, if not close to it, in the league.
ToXXiK1 Posted - 10/25/2010 : 10:54:06
quote:
Originally posted by Statman

No sense in signing a guy to that type of a contract, then making him your backup. What's next, is someone going to make a $100 million dollar player a healthy scratch? Oh wait, I guess that actually happened. Still, the Canucks need Luongo going and the only way to do that is to play him.

On a sidenote, it's great to see Schneider having some NHL success after all he's accomplished at other levels. It's just too bad this town's not big enough for two starting goalies. Should bring some good value in a trade down the road, and maybe give another team a good young goalie to build around.

Happened last year with $5mil Thomas riding the pines, and in Pitt with Fleury now. why should it be different in Van? Wins and losses should always come before $.
nuxfan Posted - 10/25/2010 : 10:17:41
Luongo will start the next game, and many after that. The plan all along this year has been for Schneider to start ~20 games, and he's doing so. Schneider has played well when in net, which is good news for the Canucks - I agree with Statman that their ultimate plan has to be to trade him to a team that will give him a chance as a starter.
Statman Posted - 10/25/2010 : 01:00:00
No sense in signing a guy to that type of a contract, then making him your backup. What's next, is someone going to make a $100 million dollar player a healthy scratch? Oh wait, I guess that actually happened. Still, the Canucks need Luongo going and the only way to do that is to play him.

On a sidenote, it's great to see Schneider having some NHL success after all he's accomplished at other levels. It's just too bad this town's not big enough for two starting goalies. Should bring some good value in a trade down the road, and maybe give another team a good young goalie to build around.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page