Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 Kovalchuk's, New Jersey Devils' Struggles

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
EasilyAroused Posted - 11/11/2010 : 11:44:04
Hi everyone,
I'd like to have your opinions on what's been going on in New Jersey. What's the most realistic explanation for this team's struggle for a single win on home ice? New coach? Goaltender issues? Lack of defensive depth? I'm trying to understand what's the deal with this team.

I'm also confused by Kovy's behavior on the ice. Him and Parise really seemed to have things started in a good way in preseason, With Parise being out for several months, how will Kovalchuk respond in manners of proficiency? He sure hasn't reached anyone's expectations in the first 16 regular season games.
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex116 Posted - 12/02/2010 : 14:52:07
I know where you're coming from Beans, i just can't see how it's possible. This guy was pretty much "set" financially back in his Atl days, yet still put up 40+ goals per year! Is NJ playing the defensive system again? I thought they'd gotten by that? I just don't get it. And yes, he's hurting me badly in one of my pools as well!
Beans15 Posted - 12/02/2010 : 13:48:04
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7683

I can't believe Kovy's 10 points to date. 10 points! This has to be one of the weirdest things that ever took place in the NHL. Elite goal scorer, age perfect, playing with a bunch of Cup veterans, one man show in ATL, biggest contract in NHL history. Why, I cannot figure out what's wrong with this player this season. Of course he was my first fantasy team choice, damn it.

Respectfully, he's Russian. Alexei Yashin anyone??

Some players(not only Russian) get paid and then quit playing. He doesn't have to score another goal for the rest of his life and he'll still see more money than all of us can imagine. His compete level has been in question for a long time. He has always had the schtick that he takes nights off. Well, he has now taken the first few months off.

I still think Kovalchuk is a brilliant talent, but there is no doubt he is going through an off year.
Guest7683 Posted - 12/02/2010 : 11:15:07
I can't believe Kovy's 10 points to date. 10 points! This has to be one of the weirdest things that ever took place in the NHL. Elite goal scorer, age perfect, playing with a bunch of Cup veterans, one man show in ATL, biggest contract in NHL history. Why, I cannot figure out what's wrong with this player this season. Of course he was my first fantasy team choice, damn it.
Alex116 Posted - 11/12/2010 : 23:46:26
I figure, with Parise out of the way, Kovy should flourish. I mean, he did in Atl, even after Hossa, Heatley, etc were gone!
nuxfan Posted - 11/12/2010 : 20:05:46
I didn't watch tonight's game...perhaps things have improved in the last 2 weeks? Perhaps the absence of Parise is allowing Kovy to have a larger role offensively?

When they played VAN the other week, it was the second game without Parise. As I said, Kovalchuk looked dangerous - on his own. He got very little support from the rest of his line, and was constantly trying to do it all alone, which just doesn't work, it was as if none of them knew what to do with him. Maybe they're figuring it out.
Utemin Posted - 11/12/2010 : 18:53:19
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

ha - as soon as I submitted it, I knew I'd hear from Beans... OK, you are correct, I take it back. Kovalchuk is an elite scorer.

I still stand by my argument - chemistry is lacking in NJ, and Kovy is at the root of it.

I gotta disagree with this as well. I am watching the Edmonton/Jersey game as we speak and Kovalchuk's line looks threatening each time out. He is skating hard, mucking it up, putting the puck into dangerous areas.

Really, not sure what New Jersey has been doing for the past 15 games but if this is how Kovalchuk has been playing, it's not all on him that's for sure.

I agree with both of you. The forwards have great Chemistry going with each other and the Defenseman are having great chemistry with each other BUT the Chemistry between the Defense and Offense is Horrible. The Chemistry between the coach and the players seems bad also.

Any one know how the NJ special lines are doing, I haven't seen many of their games.

The Monkey is me
Beans15 Posted - 11/12/2010 : 17:03:46
quote:

ha - as soon as I submitted it, I knew I'd hear from Beans... OK, you are correct, I take it back. Kovalchuk is an elite scorer.

I still stand by my argument - chemistry is lacking in NJ, and Kovy is at the root of it.

I gotta disagree with this as well. I am watching the Edmonton/Jersey game as we speak and Kovalchuk's line looks threatening each time out. He is skating hard, mucking it up, putting the puck into dangerous areas.

Really, not sure what New Jersey has been doing for the past 15 games but if this is how Kovalchuk has been playing, it's not all on him that's for sure.
irvine Posted - 11/12/2010 : 16:53:35
Yeah, Ilya Kovalchuk is most certainly an "elite" goal scorer in the NHL.

As for New Jersey, I'm starting to think coaching may be playing a part in things.

This is their coaches first year behind the bench, and suddenly, things are not looking so smooth in Jersey. I'm not sure I put the blame solely on the players, especially, Kovalchuk him self.

Also, injuries are hurting this team. EVERY injury, hurts this team. Not just that of the more talented players, such as Brodeur & Parise.

With the lack of Cap Space, this team can not afford any type of short term injury, that does not go on the LTIR.

They can not afford to call up players to fill roster spots, hurting the team short handed.

Add in injuries to your #1 netminder in Brodeur now, and your #2 guy behind Kovalchuk in Parise, and you have more trouble.

This team lacks depth that NJ is used to. Mainly that, of defensive depth. Both forward defensive depth, and defensemen depth.

NJ have to switch to more of an offensive style game, and rid of their usual defensive style that has worked for them.

Why do I say that? Because as I mentioned, I feel they lack forward 2-way play to a degree.

It's time to have Kovy, Elias, Parise, Zajac, etc.. begin to play a little more of Washington's style (not to the full extent), rather than theirs.

Irvine/prez.
nuxfan Posted - 11/12/2010 : 13:11:54

Beans15 Posted - 11/12/2010 : 11:09:25
quote:

quote:

And . . . he is, in my opinion, still an elite player, but one that may be just on the verge of a very slow decline from his very best years. I don't think we'll every see another 45 goal season from him, but that's just me projecting his stats.

Given that we've only seen two 45 goal season from him ever, that's not too far out there for predictions. Kovalchuk is not an elite goal scorer, but certainly should be counted on for 35-40 each season, along with 80-90 points.

I don't think this is the start of a decline - Kovy is 27 years old, and has consistently put up very good numbers playing as a 1-man show in ATL - he is over PPG for his entire career. Things will click in NJ eventually, it just needs time.

What?? Hold on a second, did I read that correctly??

Kovalchuk has 6 consecutive 40+ goal seasons(only a hand full of players have done that), including 2 of more than 50 goals. There are only 43 players in the history of the NHL to have more than 1-50 goal season.

He has the 2nd highest goal per game average of any current active NHL player with more than 200 goals(only Ovechkin ahead of him) and he is in the top 20 ALL TIME in goals/game for players with 325 or more career goals.

I mean, there are maybe 2-3 guys in the NHL today that even hold a candle to what this guy has done in 8 NHL seasons. Ovechkin and Heatley are the one two that come to mind for me. Any other goal scorers(Stamkos, Parise, etc) have to come through with 40+ for the next 5-6 years to just match what Kovalchuk has done.

Not an elite goal scorer. Wow.
Awesome One Posted - 11/12/2010 : 10:45:06
quote:

quote:

And . . . he is, in my opinion, still an elite player, but one that may be just on the verge of a very slow decline from his very best years. I don't think we'll every see another 45 goal season from him, but that's just me projecting his stats.

Given that we've only seen two 45 goal season from him ever, that's not too far out there for predictions. Kovalchuk is not an elite goal scorer, but certainly should be counted on for 35-40 each season, along with 80-90 points.

I don't think this is the start of a decline - Kovy is 27 years old, and has consistently put up very good numbers playing as a 1-man show in ATL - he is over PPG for his entire career. Things will click in NJ eventually, it just needs time.

I would not say that it was a one man show all the time in Atlanta.

Up until Hossa was traded he had a few very good linemates such as Heatley, Savard, and Hossa.

Kovy will bounce back.

There was once a license plate in Toronto that abbreviated "Go Leafs" it read "Golfs".
nuxfan Posted - 11/12/2010 : 09:45:30
quote:

nuxfan Posted - 11/12/2010 : 09:40:52
I still can't help but think that the problem in NJ is chemistry. Kovalchuk is just not the sort of player that NJ has typically had, and I don't think other players quite know how to play with him.

I was at the NJ-VAN game a couple of weeks ago (VAN wins 3-0). Kovalchuk was pretty awesome, he seemed to be playing on 3 lines, all over the ice, dangerous chances. Problem was, he was always alone - his linemates either could not keep up, didn't know what he was going to do, or were just watching. Kovy had to pretty much try to do things alone - which is not going to work when you play a strong defensive team like VAN. The offense looked disjointed, very few team efforts to enter the offensive zone.

I think the signing of Kovy for the next 15 years represents a fundamental shift in Devil's hockey mentality - and this is the first year. It will probably take a little while for things to sort themselves out.
n/a Posted - 11/12/2010 : 06:14:04
Agree with Beans here - no way that he can live up to expectations, no matter how well he does.

I still think Jersey will pull it out, and be a top 6 team in the East. You'll see . . . whenever you count out Jersey, that's when they play their best, and especially when Brodeur plays his best.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Beans15 Posted - 11/11/2010 : 21:46:41
Firstly, there is no doubt that Kovalchuk is still a brilliant player who has gotten off to a horrible start.

However, there is no way he could have filled the $100 million shoes he put on this summer. He could be leading the league in scoring right now and the fans and the media would still find a way to be critical.

Anything less than the Cup is going to garner people to say things about the size of the contract.
Utemin Posted - 11/11/2010 : 21:43:24
The Team lacks Defensive Depth and a tough guy to stand up for Brodeur. as for Kovalchuck put him on with a bunch of nobodys he is a 1 man show. With Parise now injured the team is as good as out of the playoffs

The Monkey is me
Awesome One Posted - 11/11/2010 : 12:04:43
He is seriously underperforming for having a 100 million dollar contract.

Then again, as my grandfather says: "With the lucrative salaries players get today, everyone underperformes".

There was once a license plate in Toronto that abbreviated "Go Leafs" it read "Golfs".

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page