Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 3rd pick in Playoff Pool

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4077 Posted - 04/01/2011 : 17:19:14
I'm guessing the Sedin's will go 1/2. Who would you take next?

I'm leaning toward Flyers. Giroux, Briere, Richards?

Could also go goalie and possibly snag Luongo...

Thoughts?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sahis34 Posted - 04/02/2011 : 14:49:14
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I have found that the only way to win playoff pools it to heavy load on the two teams you think will make the finals and hope they do. I see it virtually ever year and some guys will get out to a lead in the first round by scattering his picks across a number of teams. But after the 1st round, 1/2 his players are gone and by part way though the the 2nd round he is near the bottom.

If I am betting this year I am loading up on Philly, Pitt, Detroit and Vancouver with more of a leaning towards Pitt and Detroit.

I either win by a landslide or I am out early. But it doesn't matter as most playoff pools I get involved in are winner take all. Last is just as good as 2nd.

Why would you take pittsburgh? No gonchar, no malkin no power play goals. that's even if crosby plays at 100% which he won't

Go OILERS Go!!!
OILINONTARIO Posted - 04/02/2011 : 12:33:34
Assuming each skater gets 1 pool point per point (not sure if that is right), figure out your pick for the team that will win the Cup. Chances are, the starting goalie for that team will earn you a minimum of 32 pool points, and end up to be one of the leading point-getters in your pool. Pick this guy early, and let them laugh.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2012.
Guest4077 Posted - 04/02/2011 : 11:35:57
Good advice all around, thanks for the help.

What about going goalie? This is a 12 team snake draft btw. 2-points for a goalie win, plus 2 for a shutout, and one bonus for an OT win.

The top goalies score a lot of points in this league and I think my leaguemates might not understand the true value or may be afraid to get laughed at for taking a goalie so high.

I'm thinking maybe Luongo because Brobrovsky is not exactly locked in as starter. Same with Neuvirth. Also, Howard is dealing with injuries, and Niemi is good but SJ is a step down from the Canucks. Tim Thomas is there too, but I don't think any of them are a better pick than Luongo...
Guest3138 Posted - 04/02/2011 : 09:54:55
ovechkin
Mario 66 Posted - 04/02/2011 : 06:08:53
Without a doubt I would take Crosby at number 3. Andy Macdonald has 18pts in 18gms since returning from concussion. So, 3 months off & the way he has been skating lately, means crosby will provide you alot of points and for sure they will get by TB in the first round.

Fortunately, i've won my playoff pools the last couple of yrs. I've tried both methods & although both work I would still recommend the four teams you expect to make it the furthest & load up on them. One thing I like to do is load up on second line sleepers & linemates (Leino, Hartnell, Van Riemsduyk, Raymond, kesler,Staal & kennedy, Bertuzzi & Franzen etc . People will look for their stars when in the end Hartnell playing 16gms will give you the same amount of points or more as a Stamkos who will be gone first rd.

Either way BOL

In youth we learn; in age we understand
Alex116 Posted - 04/02/2011 : 02:23:51
Beans...judging by your grammar, mixed with the time of your post (still relatively early), you musta got into the mix early tonight! Not to worry, it's 2:21am here, so take this for what it's worth!

Personally, i prefer the snake draft to the "pick the top 25 playoff scorers" where often 60% have the same 15-20 guys and the pool is decided by 3rd and 4th liners.

I only go in pools where it's a snake style (or better yet, auction style) and my strategy is to pick as many from the 4 teams i feel will be in the semi's. Nothing fancy, however, if there's a stud on a team i think will "possibly" make a second round appearance, i may take him late, if he's still there? Bottom line is this, in a playoff pool, you're picking the teams you think will last longest, therefore you pick players from those teams who you think will get you points. Sure, the odd time you get lucky where a 3rd liner scores more points in the playoffs than he does the reg season, but that's part of the fun of it!

Beans15 Posted - 04/01/2011 : 20:24:59
Ryan, to your point, you are absolutely correct. I was making the assumption that a playoff draft is a wide open draft, taking the any player you want. The snake draft type of set up for a playoff pool is so hard to win, I never waste my money.

My money only gets put in best I have a good opportunity to win. Like STL making the playoffs.
ryan93 Posted - 04/01/2011 : 20:04:22
I've had success in the past by scattering out my picks. When i'm picking my first 8-10 guys, i try to get players who i feel can give me at least 2 rounds. In 2007 for example, i won our playoff pool on the strength of my first 2 picks (both Sens..Heatley & Spezza), and my 3 or 4 Ranger picks who gave me 2 solid rounds (Nylander, Jagr...and i think maybe Dubinsky & Rozsival).

In my pool, there's usually 13 or 14 of us, and we pick only for points (no goalies)...so the players go fast. By the 3rd or 4th round, it's pretty slim pickings for the top contending teams & you are quickly forced to move on to plan B/C/etc.
Beans15 Posted - 04/01/2011 : 18:53:39
I have found that the only way to win playoff pools it to heavy load on the two teams you think will make the finals and hope they do. I see it virtually ever year and some guys will get out to a lead in the first round by scattering his picks across a number of teams. But after the 1st round, 1/2 his players are gone and by part way though the the 2nd round he is near the bottom.

If I am betting this year I am loading up on Philly, Pitt, Detroit and Vancouver with more of a leaning towards Pitt and Detroit.

I either win by a landslide or I am out early. But it doesn't matter as most playoff pools I get involved in are winner take all. Last is just as good as 2nd.
ryan93 Posted - 04/01/2011 : 18:27:09
I think the Flyers might be the route i would go as well, but honestly i'm not sure. In the West, both Detroit (Zetterberg/Datsyuk) and San Jose (Thornton & co) would be possiblities, but a lot of it would depend on who their first round match-up is. One of them will likely end up playing Anaheim, and that'd make me nervous.

The East...i really like the Penguins, but as good as they've been without him, they need Crosby back to make another deep run. If Crosby was healthy, it'd be easy, but that's obviously not the case. Ovechkin/Washington is also a possiblity if you have faith in the Caps...

Another one of the pools i go in every year (200-300 enteries), you have to pick X amount of players (something like 15F 8D 2G). I've finished in the top 10 all 3 years i've entered & my strategy has been going with 2 teams from each conference. Vancouver & Philadephia are my automatics, but will still have to decide between Washington/Boston/Pittsburgh in the East, and San Jose & Detroit in the West.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page