Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 Questions for running large Playoff Pool

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest9752 Posted - 03/09/2007 : 11:07:34
Hello all. My hockey team is looking at methods for fundraising so we thought we would run a playoff pool. Being a computer guy I said I would run it, and find an online site that could automate it for us. I did some research and came upon this site. After doing some brief testing with a mock regular season pool and having it recommended to from a different hockey forum, I like what I see and am going with this one.

My questions are regarding the best method to run it and I was hoping I could get some insight from some of you who have ran pools before using this site. Here is the plan for my pool. We have 15 players on our team or so and are hoping for say an average of each player signing up 3 people. So hopefully we will roughly have around 60 teams or so in the pool (when including each player signing up as well). Needless to say this will be quite a large pool and if we do well maybe I can challenge the 100 team limit the site has

Given it will be a large one, drafting is out of the question. But what should I do as far as what players the GM’s have to pick from? I know 6F/4D/1G is usually the standard, but with a pool this big do you think that will suffice and there won’t be any identical teams? Any recommendations as to what would be best as far as individual team size? Also, for something like this should I be handing out sheets of paper with lists of players to choose from or do you usually just say pick any 6F/4D/1G? Or should I have a list of LW,C,RW etc so you can only pick 2LW,2C,RW etc.?

Any and all recommendations or comments are GREATLY appreciated. Thank you for any help.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
admin Posted - 03/12/2007 : 11:11:56
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

TC, I think that's a great idea for him. That's usually how pools that are run through newspapers, websites (including this one) and often large businesses who have a lot of pool team entries.

Oh and by the way, this site can hold 1000 teams per pool, so don't worry about challenging the limit

Welcome to the site. Playoff pools will be available very soon. If you have any questions, feel free to post them here. We are all happy to help you out.
bablaboushka Posted - 03/09/2007 : 13:10:14
TC, I think that's a great idea for him. That's usually how pools that are run through newspapers, websites (including this one) and often large businesses who have a lot of pool team entries.

Oh and by the way, this site can hold 1000 teams per pool, so don't worry about challenging the limit
tctitans Posted - 03/09/2007 : 12:40:23
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9752

Hello all. My hockey team is looking at methods for fundraising so we thought we would run a playoff pool. Being a computer guy I said I would run it, and find an online site that could automate it for us. I did some research and came upon this site. After doing some brief testing with a mock regular season pool and having it recommended to from a different hockey forum, I like what I see and am going with this one.

My questions are regarding the best method to run it and I was hoping I could get some insight from some of you who have ran pools before using this site. Here is the plan for my pool. We have 15 players on our team or so and are hoping for say an average of each player signing up 3 people. So hopefully we will roughly have around 60 teams or so in the pool (when including each player signing up as well). Needless to say this will be quite a large pool and if we do well maybe I can challenge the 100 team limit the site has

Given it will be a large one, drafting is out of the question. But what should I do as far as what players the GM’s have to pick from? I know 6F/4D/1G is usually the standard, but with a pool this big do you think that will suffice and there won’t be any identical teams? Any recommendations as to what would be best as far as individual team size? Also, for something like this should I be handing out sheets of paper with lists of players to choose from or do you usually just say pick any 6F/4D/1G? Or should I have a list of LW,C,RW etc so you can only pick 2LW,2C,RW etc.?

Any and all recommendations or comments are GREATLY appreciated. Thank you for any help.

Considering the number of people that may be involved, and how many of them may not necessarily follow hockey in detail, I think your best bet would to have the typical Box pool. This is simply where you create a number of boxes (ie. 6 boxes for F/4 for D/1-2 for G) and have a multiple choice list (of around 8) of players in each box for people to select. Yes, it's possible to have 2 identical teams, but if you choose the players in your multiple-choice lists properly (ie. similar talent/point levels), it's not very likely. Note too, that the more boxes you have, the less likely identical teams are.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page