Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 Hodgson vs Higgins

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mr_Habs Posted - 11/03/2011 : 00:06:41
Hello!

Which forward should I acquire : Cody Hodgson or Chris Higgins?

Hodgson (1.66M$) is getting better and better every game, and he's proving he's NHL caliber (and maybe top-6 forward). He's 2nd line and 2nd powerplay unit. He was tenth overall draft pick, but is he really a top prospect?
Looks like Higgins (1.9M$) is heading for a good season (6-2-8 in 12 games) - just like old days in Montréal. He's 3rd line and 2nd powerplay unit. But I'm afraid he'll lose some ice-time when Mason Raymond comes back.

If you think about any other considerable forwards (under 2M$), please let me know!

Cheers

"Feuille d'érable, suce ma graine!"
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
nuxfan Posted - 11/03/2011 : 10:04:48
Mr_Habs:

Hodgson's cap hit is actually 850K, the other 800K is bonuses which would only pay out if he hits whatever milestones those bonuses are tied to. No guarantees, but if your pool is a cap pool that might factor in.

Hodgson is one of the top-3 propsects in the Canucks organization. His development was briefly stalled by a back injury that saw him lose an entire season, but as you say he's playing a lot better now. However, I too would be worried about Hodgson when Raymond comes back - he is the only top-9 forward with a 2-way contract and can be sent back down with minimal cost. That being said, reports on Raymond have been varied (from back in January to will never play again), so he is probably safe for the forseeable future.

I also don't know what the longer term plans for Hodgson are within the Canucks organization - if that factors into your decision at all. I have maintained that they'll trade him after this year, as he is just not going to get the opportunity to be a top-6 forward (and esp a top-2 centre) with the Canucks, and playing him on the 3rd line is a waste. So if this is a keeper pool, keep in mind that there is a possibility he will not be with VAN for much longer.

Higgins is a good choice for this year I think - while he's playing 3rd line now, the Canucks want him on the second line with Kesler/Booth (media has dubbed it the "American Express" line), where he will get more opportunities. But I agree, he's showing the type of skill that made him valuable in MTL, he should be a good pickup for this season at least.
Alex116 Posted - 11/03/2011 : 08:06:26
Tough without knowing a couple important things. First, as Pasty mentioned, need to know if it's a keeper league. Me personally, i'd take Hodgson over Higgins if it is. Age would be the main factor, but i also like his upside as a first rounder who at one point was predicted to be around a ppg player and a quality leader. Higgins' ceiling for points is prob around 60 and even that would be a career year as currently his best is 52! If Hodgson pans out, he could eventually be a 70+ guy?

If this is a keeper league, this guy is prob long gone, but if it's a yearly league, check and see if anyone has Luke Adam. He's playing with Vanek and Pomminville in Buffalo by the looks of the boxscores and he's got 11 points in as many games. I don't know what his salary is but i'm guessing it's under 1 mil?
Pasty7 Posted - 11/03/2011 : 01:55:30
this is a tough one, is it a keeper pool? even then i don't know if you would protect Hodgson at the end of the year anyway, i think i would go with Higgins he looks like the Higgins of old since going to Van and i think he is a safe bet for 45 plus points and 25 ish goals plus he hasn't been overly injury prone in his career, Hodgson has more upside but i like a safe bet.....

BTW i don't know how many Leaf fans understand your signature but Moi j aime bien ca!

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page