Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 Pay as little or a much as you want for your pool

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
admin Posted - 02/10/2008 : 11:24:50
Hey gang,

As you all know we offer our hockey pools at PickupHockey.com for no charge. Yes that is right our hockey pools are FREE! This is something we are proud of and it will likely never change.

But an idea we are toying with is the OPTION to pay as little or as much as you want for your pool. So if you don't want to pay a cent then you don't have to, you'll still get a great pool with all the functions that currently exist. But if you choose to drop us a few bucks; $1, $5, $10, $15 or whatever, you can (hey, it might make you feel good right!)

As you can imagine, a site with a couple hundred thousand users and tens of millions of page views comes with a little overhead (ok, lots of overhead! ) So this sounds like a way to cover some of the costs of the site, but still maintains a FREE HOCKEY POOL option if our visitors prefer. Basically you only pay IF you want to.

Anyway, I wanted to open up this discussion with our forum members and guests to get some feedback on what you all thought about that concept. I've always maintained that we're nothing without our members so let's have it.....
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
admin Posted - 03/23/2008 : 16:37:05
Hey gang,

if we were to take this aprroach the money would go towards the operation of the site (hosting, staff payments, upgrades, maintenance etc.) if were were fortunate enough to make a profit then great but that is highly unlikely in the short term.

Just a heads up, we won't be doing this for playoffs, maybe the next regular season. And since this thread is a little old now, if anyone is just reading it now, a payment (of any size you wish) would be 100% optional.
Leafsfan_94 Posted - 03/23/2008 : 09:54:09
actually i really liek this site, so i may send in i dont know maybe $15.00 if you could tell me where to send it

quote:
Originally posted by Leafsfan_94

that sounds like a good idea

unfortunately i wont be in on it

>>>Go Leafs Go<<<
Leafsfan_94

Leafsfan_94

GoOilGo Posted - 03/20/2008 : 00:37:19
I think it's a good idea I'll definetly give in a toonie or so, I'm an admin pet now.
MarkhamMax Posted - 02/11/2008 : 21:28:19
quote:
Originally posted by admin

MM I may have misunderstood but it sounds like you are thinking that we are converting the site to a pay site. To be clear, we are not. In this scenario it will remain 100% free. We would only include the OPTION to pay if you felt inclined to do so.

I do agree with you that some premium services could be added that we could charge for as well such as real time stats, ad removal, etc. Any others?

I really would like to get feedback from everyone so let's please keep this topic lively.

Hi Admin. Yes, I understood the proposal for an optional pay portion - that's why I mention keeping the site 'attractive to freeloaders' in the portion of my post that reads: "you have two questions to consider".
I think what may have thrown you off was my opinion at the end of the post that I feel it has to be an all pay, or no pay site. This was more of a response to the idea that people who do pay will get the benefit of "added services".
If you are proposing that the people who do pay will get no additional benefits vs. those who do not pay, then I don't see you generating much money, or at least 'significant' money, other than from a handful of your faithful core members.
In essence, I guess I am saying that if you NEED to generate money from memberships, it won't happen all the time there is an option to not pay.
Tiger Posted - 02/11/2008 : 15:18:45
I would pay. I have money and it's no skin off my back. just like a restaurant, i go to where I get good service and the food is good. Other pay sites have crappy service so I don't go to them, I come here. I would pay a few bucks. But I don't think everyone would but obviously that is ok too. its a good concept to pay what you want
Guest7418 Posted - 02/11/2008 : 11:10:45
Will never pay.
Beans15 Posted - 02/11/2008 : 10:50:48
Here's the thing, if people don't have to pay, they won't. With all due respect, I never used this site when another out there(which will remain nameless) was free. The only reason I can here was because it was free and stayed free while the other costs money.

I do agree with pay for premium services. Those guys that have the same draft that lasts year over year or those geeks (like me) that want to know every number for every player under everyone condition. Those people that want the e-mail each day to see how their team is doing, all of that should be paid for.

In the end, I am not really sure if I would pay for something extra. I am just being completely honest. If there were two options of basically the same thing, one free and one not, I would by lying if I said I would pay for it.
admin Posted - 02/11/2008 : 10:37:40
MM I may have misunderstood but it sounds like you are thinking that we are converting the site to a pay site. To be clear, we are not. In this scenario it will remain 100% free. We would only include the OPTION to pay if you felt inclined to do so.

I do agree with you that some premium services could be added that we could charge for as well such as real time stats, ad removal, etc. Any others?

I really would like to get feedback from everyone so let's please keep this topic lively.
MarkhamMax Posted - 02/10/2008 : 22:59:22
I think what attracts your current volume of members here is the rare $0 price tag.
And the traffic is what draws the interest of advertisers. So, to keep that kind of traffic hitting the site - it has to continue to maintain that offer.
That said, I would think the ads have to carry the bulk of the financial load, and an optional pay structure for premium services could be implemented to pick up the slack.
What those premium services will be is for you to decide.
What I would suggest, is that those premium services shouldn't punish the user who wants to use the site for free, or else you will find yourself losing the volume of traffic needed to maintain ad dollars.
Its a bit like a dog chasing its tail in that regard.

So I guess you have two questions:
- What premium services are people willing to pay for?
- How do I keep the site attractive to the freeloaders?

The only thing I would have wanted in previous years that I considered paying for was real-time scores. Of course, now this can be had for free on the NHL's web site among others. So what led me to pay for pool websites in the past? The site itself. These sites were fine tuned, staffed, offered video, timely updates, etc...
It's a tough draw. You'll have to put your thinking cap on to attract willing wallets on a semi-pay site.

My instinct says it's got to be all or nothing. Pay or no pay. Period. And if it involves pay, the site must be every bit as good as your competitors.
Ripley Posted - 02/10/2008 : 20:55:40
This is what the band Radiohead did too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/10/02/cnradio102.xml

I think it is a great idea and I think this is how the web should work. If you're flush then buck up, if your poor then enjoy the free service and remember it for when you have money. It's a good "pay it forward" concept. I say go for it!
Guest4043 Posted - 02/10/2008 : 20:50:17
quote:
Originally posted by Leafsfan_94

>>>Go Leafs Go<<<
Leafsfan_94

why?
Leafsfan_94 Posted - 02/10/2008 : 16:44:11

>>>Go Leafs Go<<<
Leafsfan_94

Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 02/10/2008 : 13:20:44
I think that this idea could potentially work.

Another idea that I think this site could possibly ponder is a pay per upgrade feature. Which could include something like the more you pay, the more features would be included in your pool. Just a thought.
shinnyafterschool Posted - 02/10/2008 : 12:39:26
Seems like a good idea admin, It probably would make me feel good. Next year i'll be getting a draft of my own organized with my friends and I'll be sure we chip in a few bucks.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page