Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 your perfect team

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest0747 Posted - 08/27/2008 : 17:50:11
if you were to build your own team of whatever players you wanted but had to stay under the cap of $56.7mil, what would your team look like?
The reason im asking is that im planning to go into a keeper hockey pool in the next few days, and want another oppinon on who i should pick and when.
Thanks!
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest0747 Posted - 08/29/2008 : 14:50:00
Although Getzlaf and Perry are young and are locked in at the same salary for the next 5 seasons, i can't see myself paying 5.325mil for Perry. Getzlaf makes the same and last season posted like 30 more points. I guess thats one good thing about Ovie's whopping 9.54mil a year, he's young so he's not likely to die on me, and he should be a consistent point getter for a long time. I have a knack for picking players that get injured. I got crosby last year in our seasonal pool and look what happened. Go me!
MSC Posted - 08/29/2008 : 13:40:03
Getzlaf and Perry were sleepers last year, I would hope they opened some eyes though. I like Dipietro but unfortunatly he's awful fragile.
Beans15 Posted - 08/29/2008 : 13:38:46
I wouldn't really say they are sleeper picks as much as they were not on your original list, but I would keep my eyes open for decent, young, and affordable talent. Guys like Getzlaf and Perry come to mind. I also like the idea of the guys with those super long contracts. Ovechkin, Mike Richards, Lecavalier, and DiPietro are consistant contracts for pretty much the next decade. I would build a keeper pool around that.
MSC Posted - 08/29/2008 : 12:11:26
aside from Kopitar who technically isn't a sleeper pick....keep your eyes out for Carcillo in Phoenix and Byfuglien in Chicago.
Guest0747 Posted - 08/29/2008 : 10:30:55
Thanks for the insight guys.
We're using http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/ as our site (link to page we use for your viewing pleasure :D) and everyone in our knows this. Also we have 8 (and 1 unconfirmed) entries for our pool. We will be drafting a full team of 12 forwards (position not important), 6 defenders, and 2 goalies. Goalies get 2 points for a win and 2 extra for a shutout. Enforcers receive 1/2 point per PIM. All other points are standard.
Any suggestion for sleeper picks?
99pickles Posted - 08/29/2008 : 02:58:53
I just had a long night at work and can't fully respond to this quite yet, but I have one instant bit of insight and two questions.
The insight: everyone will max out their salaries early simply just wanting to get the best players available and then they will be going for the best possible low-cost guys later...and guess what: it will mostly work. Why? Because your salary system is based identically to the NHL's. Not knowing anything specific about your league (and having been in so many based on the same system) I feel pretty good that this will happen. The smart things to do are: draft for the Draftable categories and if it is points based only (goals, assits, wins, shutouts) decide whether goalies are so valuable that you should take them with 2 of your first 4 picks. If wins are 2 pts and shutouts are an additional 3, then yes, take goalies with 2 of your first 4 picks...and especially if some start going before your next pick; don't cross your fingers and hope that you'll be safe for one more round - you won't. Try NOT to take one with your first pick if you can avoid it though.
My questions are this: what source is your league using for salary figures, and make sure it is known and agreed upon beforehand!! I joined a year one keeper league last year using a fairly simple privately created salary structure that was based on the previous year's statistical performances (or drafted positions) and halfway through the draft I could see that I was the only one that had the accurate data. It turns out that the commish put in the wrong formula into an excel sheet in regards to goalie salaries (based on wins and shutouts of the previous season) which is the one he sent to everyone and that they were all using.But I was the ONLY ONE in the league that went by his own (and correct) data !! Needless to say that there was a lengthy meltdown in the middle of the draft (live and online) where I had to explain the inaccuracies to everyone (most of whom didn't want to believe it). In retrospect I should have aired this mistake after the draft so that everyone else would have had to scramble to make adjustments and I could have just reaped the benefits in the form of picking up many dropped players. Oh well.

My other question is simple: how many players are on each manager's roster?
Why? Because if that number is significantly less than an NHL roster, then the salaries are moot...everyone will be able to pay 12 (let's say) players nearly $5M apiece on the average if that's how shallow the league is.

I guess it's difficult to answer pool questions if it's not known how many managers there are, how many players are on each roster, and what the stat categories are.
Beans15 Posted - 08/28/2008 : 17:40:30
If it is the same as Keeper Pools I know, you are going to be keeping players year over year unless you decide to trade or dump them. That being said, you have to not only consider your current cap but also the future cap. That being said, be cautious of players that will more than likely be getting big raises. For example, Zetterberg is going into a contract year. If he plays the way he normally does, it is easy to think he will be a $7million per year players. That might impact your cap for the future.

All things considered, I think that MSC's advise is the best. Get a list of 5-8 players per round and a list of about 25 "sleepers". Rank them and stick to the list.
Guest0747 Posted - 08/28/2008 : 15:48:35
MSC, although i agree with you that the top players aren't going to around for long, i htink malikin or zetterberg are worth early picks because they 1. will put up good number. 2 dont cost 7-9 million of my cap (yet). This leaves more cap for other players so i can "purchase" another expensive player if i so desire later.

To follow up on later round "steals," can u guys suggest any not so well known players that i can look into in later rounds when all the big names have been claimed?
Axey Posted - 08/28/2008 : 14:28:41
MSC has some good insight here, theres no real way of guessing who will be picked and when. But make the list of players and their rankings. Also when doing this just don't look at last year's stats and put them in order this way. Evaluate who is on the rise and who is on the decline. Look out for what players have been traded to what teams and who they are playing with. Ex- Hossa to Detroit will raise his point production at least 20 pts this year. Then look at Kovalchuk who has nothing around him any more and not expect very much from him this year. A big thing in pools are the "steal' picks, look for players that may be younger and finally getting put on a top line and able to reach their potential.

Chicago Blackhawks GM
MSC Posted - 08/28/2008 : 13:51:33
This is possibly the most foolish piece of garbage I've ever seen.....Zetterburg, Malkin, Heatley and ANY of your big 3 money players (by the way..Crosby + Oveckin=2!!!) will all be gone within the first round of any pool that is worth anything. If this isn't the case in your pool, where do I sign up?

There is absolutly no use in trying to predict exactly who'll you'll get each round. Make a list ranking the players and draft according to that list. STICK TO THE LIST.
Guest0747 Posted - 08/28/2008 : 12:04:32
ok, so far i got
1. Zetterberg @2.65mil
2. Malkin @3.834mil
3. Stasny @0.85mil
4. Kopitar @0.956mil
5. Toews @2.8mil
6. Kane @3.725mil
7. Cam Ward @2.667 1 of 2 goalies
8. Phaneuf @6.5 enforcer/ 1of 6 defenders
9. sam gagner @1.625
10.pominville @1.033
11. Keith @1.5 D
12. Letang @0.835 D
13. corvo @2.635 D
14. Fleury @5 G
15.Heatley @7.5
16.Enstrom @0.9 D
17.T Kaberle @4.25 D
current cap: $41.65mil with 3 more forwards needed.
3 Big money players in here somewhere. ie crosby (8.7mil) or Ovie (9.54)

hockeybuzz.com used as reference for player salaries.

obviously i won't get all these guys because my opponents aren't retarded, but this would be ideal.
Thoughts and comments?

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page