Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 Hockey Pool Ethics

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex Posted - 10/11/2008 : 20:19:08
If you're drafting for a hockey pool after the season has already begun and the other members involved don't follow the NHL regularly, are you obligated not to look at the current stats of players?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pokermatt12 Posted - 10/22/2008 : 17:52:40
I respect your honesty and your concern that you want to win fairly, but part of a hockey pool is research before you make your picks. If they want to make their picks randomly without knowing point totals, let them do so.

An example I will give you is the hockey draft i did, Whitney and Gonchar were both picked (this was long after they were injured). I didn't let them know that they were in fact injured, it was their responsibility to do their research.
Porkchop73 Posted - 10/22/2008 : 16:17:55
Alex - if your pool draft carries into beginning of the season of course you check stats - specifically injuries. Early season points are good indicators for players performance but depending on how many players are drafted per team it rarely makes for a given outcome after 82 games. Check out each player you want to draft, if your pool carries 20 games in you may see a serious injury that will change your picks.

i have run a pool for several years and for the last 5 used Pickup Hockey for my pool manager. I have often ran into the start of season and almost always find that no matter how much i go over the stats I always finish in a different spot at the end of the season.

kind of rambled on there, Alex you should in no way feel obligated not to look at stats. Even if there is family involved you must try and win at all costs at least for the bragging rights
crazyfox Posted - 10/22/2008 : 15:37:10
Completely agree with Pickles, if they have agreed to this format and don't want to do any work before drafting then that is their problem, not yours.
I have a pool at work and some people know nothing about hockey yet they agree to pay and play knowing full well that I will be doing research prior to the draft and they won't. I have no problem telling them how and where to get info but only if they ask and the rest is up to them.

None of this is forced on anyone, so as long as everyone enjoys themselves, you shouldn't feel bad about winning.
99pickles Posted - 10/12/2008 : 03:14:16
I thought you guys were slowly drafting day-by-day before the season began (I lambasted you for it). So now you are doing another league with the same 3 relatives 20 games into the season, and you're wondering if any of you should know anything about what is going on in the league at that point!!?! The 3 of you should already be following for your other league ANYWAYS!
Also....20 games in??? If someone doesn't know what's going on in the league 20 games in (also known as the quarter pole!) then it's yer own fault!

Bottom Line: Any manager, in any league, drafted at any time, of any season, is obligated to do their own homework based upon any info available. Stop feeling sorry for people you are about to defeat. This is only a game.
Alex Posted - 10/11/2008 : 20:22:53
The reason I ask is because I am doing a pool with my brother and father, who never check the stats until say the 75th game into a season, and only to see who will be winning the Art Ross (purely out of curiosity I'd assume). We were late this year and chances are we'll only be drafting 20 or more games into the season. Should I follow the players' stats in the meantime? How about standings? Obviously I'll follow the Habs but other than that I don't care much about the league standings until close to playoff time. I think the right thing to do would be not to follow; then again, it's not my fault they aren't making the time to sit down and draft. Thoughts?

Make sure to cast your votes in the PickUpHockey Hall of Fame

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page