Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 Fix the Oil

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
OILINONTARIO Posted - 04/23/2007 : 13:00:38
What is the most important change that must be made to make the Oilers competitive in 07/08?
26   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
stastnysforever Posted - 06/05/2007 : 17:58:30
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Spacek left on his own accord. He played in the East/Central US his entire career except for the Oilers. His family prefered the East Coast as well. He had a choice to play for decent cash with the Oilers(a Cup contender at the time) or the Sabres for decent cash(also a Cup contender). His choice was a place his family would be happy.

Trust me, the Oiler Brass did not want to lose him, especially as Pronger danced his way out of town. I don't think there was enough money that would have kept Spacek here.

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??

Ok thanks, that makes sense, I thought they were idiots and traded him for a draft pick or something

what do Calgary and a tea bag have in common- they're both only good for one cup
Beans15 Posted - 06/05/2007 : 07:26:03
Spacek left on his own accord. He played in the East/Central US his entire career except for the Oilers. His family prefered the East Coast as well. He had a choice to play for decent cash with the Oilers(a Cup contender at the time) or the Sabres for decent cash(also a Cup contender). His choice was a place his family would be happy.

Trust me, the Oiler Brass did not want to lose him, especially as Pronger danced his way out of town. I don't think there was enough money that would have kept Spacek here.

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
stastnysforever Posted - 06/05/2007 : 06:35:53
Why did they get rid of Spacek last year, He was doing great and I don't think he was very expensive.

what do Calgary and a tea bag have in common- they're both only good for one cup
Guest4462 Posted - 06/03/2007 : 19:27:16
As a start, they should sign Smyth, Trade for Bergeron, and undo all other bonehead moves that they have done over the last few years...
OILINONTARIO Posted - 06/03/2007 : 17:07:05
The Oilers were on a slide long before the "Big Injuries" started. Who gets the blame when Horcoff, Pisani, Stoll, Lupul, Hemsky, Sykora, MAB, and even great Smytty, himself, stop producing? Don't blame KLo for the loss of the defence he built for a Cup run. He did a brilliant job! Nobody can deny that. WOW! Did he ever get Roli at the right time! If he's as great a GM as I think he is, He will relocate MacT in the Oil Org and move onward
Beans15 Posted - 05/25/2007 : 11:05:07
Stoll is decent on the PP as the shooter from the point. What they need is a guy that can QB the PP from the back end, and a guy that can come off the half boards and pass/or shoot.

If Hemsky could ever figure out how to shoot, he would be a top 10 player in this league. He just can't seem to do it.

So yes, Stoll on one point, Redden on the other. Hemsky on the half boards. Not sure who else can really produce. Maybe Horcoff coming off the weak side. We still need a sniper from the slot. Drury/Briere/Jokinen/Lecavalier. All are names I hear Lowe is interested in, and all would fit the PP role great.

Canucks Man Posted - 05/24/2007 : 23:06:04
Ok the oilers played bad when it counted, but not the whole seaosn and they made to the finals the year efore so I dont see how MacT is the problem, just half a year ago everybody was in love with the guy, hes not a bad coach, the oilers had alot of injury poblems throughout the year that eventually cought up with them, there is no need to fire Mactavish, he didnt do anything wrong

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Get The Towels Out Guys PLAYOFFS!!!
PainTrain Posted - 05/24/2007 : 20:52:16
Beans do you think Stoll should still play the point on the power play?
HasekFan39 Posted - 05/24/2007 : 18:12:46
I agree with seminrules All of it

Victory awaits him who has everything in order--luck, people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck.
Beans15 Posted - 04/27/2007 : 05:52:09
The Oilers have two goalies in their system that they want to groom to take over for Roloson. Dubnyk and Deslaureirs. Neither has done much yet, but that is who they are banking on down the road. They will get a proven back up and only for a couple of years.

And to answer the one guys question about Stoll. I would keep him 3rd line centre. He is a great grinding shutdown type player with a lot of energy and who can add a scoring touch to that line.

And why would we want a 39 year old d-man in Teppo Numminen ?
PainTrain Posted - 04/26/2007 : 20:54:34
OK if you look at Minnesota they have 3 goaltenders who can play, Fernandez, Backstrom and Harding and I'm going with that Minnesota signs Backstrom and then Hardin is there 3rd stringer I say Edmonton should get Josh Harding he is a great goaltender. I don't know if he is starting goaltender yet but if they get him 2 years he will be there.
Beans15 Posted - 04/26/2007 : 20:33:30
To all of you who say re-sign Smyth, please stop thinking with your heart. He is not even close to the answer of the Oilers problems. Ya, they only one three games since Smyth left, but they were below .500 before he left. What is a guy who's averaged 55 points a year for his career going to do for this team?? Nothing. Is a player who scored 55 points a year worth $5+ million???? Not on a team that needs a proven scorer. There are only 50 guys in the league who produced more points than he did this year. Many of them on worse teams. C'mon people, think with your head and not with your heart.

And what a difference a year makes. Last year, MacT was the messiah. This year, the scapegoat. I don't disagree that he will have to have a great start to the year to save his job, but why throw him to the coals???

Pitkanen would look good here, but he won't come here. He's a great d-man and is only 22. Why would Philly give him up?? And what do the Oilers have to offer for him?? The more logical d-man is Redden. He will be in the last year of his contract in 07-08 making $6.5million/year. Ottawa can trade him and still have Phillips, Volchenkov, Corvo, Preissing(UFA that will resign for much less then $6.5 million), and Schubert as their core, and not have the $6.5 million contract to pay.

2 first and second line forwards, 1 puck moving/PP QB defenseman, and a Back Up who can play 20 games. That will put the Oilers right back into the mix.
fly4apuckguy Posted - 04/26/2007 : 20:11:57
quote:
Originally posted by lyall

Sign Sheldon Souray in the off season. Re-sign Smyth. Fire MacT. Don't re-hire inside the oragnization.

"I Was So Happy I Gave Kerry Fraser A Hug" -Bill Guerin

I'm betting Souray ends up with the Penguins. Just a hunch.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz
oil fan97 Posted - 04/26/2007 : 19:55:26
We need a good UFA who will help us and play here for a long time.

Flames Suck!!!
Kashmire Posted - 04/23/2007 : 19:23:17
They need to go for 2 D men, I think. Numminen would be ideal, aswell as, hmm, maybe Pitkanen. Pitkanen for horcoff? I'm sure the Oil could find some young offence for the trade.
OILINONTARIO Posted - 04/23/2007 : 18:25:12
In response to Leafs Rock Planet, I agree. MacT has worn out his welcome. I heard they may sign Wade Redden. That would help. Gotta get some Sutter blood in E-Town!
leafsfan_101 Posted - 04/23/2007 : 18:18:30
This is not a short time fix, K-Lowe has lots of holes to fill;

Offence= This team was a struggling offenceive team from the beggining of the year. Horcoff hardly played like the figure on his paycheck and the team seemed to dwindle throughout the year. When Smyth left their offence got worse, although resigning Smyth wouldn't be much of a help to him or the team.

Solution= Sign a big name forward, someone that will help the team. A speedy player like Briere would do the trick, or a goal-type player like Teemu Selanee. Another player that would be good, possibly on the second line, would be Daniel Cleary.

Defence= The defence of this team suffered big blows, mainly with the departure of Chris Pronger and Jaroslav Spachek. They seem to have good yound players in the mix, but a good, experienced defenceman would be useful.

Solution= Sign an experienced vet. Teppo Numminen will be for sale, provided Buffalo doesn't resign him. He would bring leadership and help the young players like Smid. He would be cheaper then Schneider and Chelios also.

Goaltender= Dwayne Roloson was overplayed in my mind. With the loss of the defence, he looked like he was normal. Expect goalies to look this way when you lose Chris Pronger. Personally, I think he is a good goalie, but the only thisg Juicy about Jussi was his rebounds. He has to go.

Solution= Let Markkanen go and sign a goalie that can handle rougly 15-20 games. Possible candidates could be Sean Burke, Ed Belfour or David Abeisher.

Coaching+Solution= Give MacT one last chance. If Lowe does manage to put a good team on the ice and Mactavish screws up he wiill be gone. Another possiblr route would be letting him go in the offseason and picking up Pat Quinn.

Conclusion= This isn't an easy thing because some of the pieces are missing. Most of the free agents i mentioned would come cheap, except the prominent forward. Trades to get the nessicary help could work to, Lowe just has to make sure not to give up to much. As for Smyth, let thim go somewhere else. You don't need him and he doesn't need you.

And this is all comming from the #1 Leafs fan in the world. LOL, go figure.

When life gives you lemons throw them at the Ottawa Senators and their fans and hope it gets them in the eyes ;)
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 04/23/2007 : 17:51:13
I think its got to start with Mctavish being fired. No disrespect to him but I think that he needs a fresh start with a new team.

Forecheck+Backcheck= Paycheck!!!
lyall Posted - 04/23/2007 : 17:33:22
Sign Sheldon Souray in the off season. Re-sign Smyth. Fire MacT. Don't re-hire inside the oragnization.

"I Was So Happy I Gave Kerry Fraser A Hug" -Bill Guerin
Saku Steen Posted - 04/23/2007 : 16:46:04
There gonna need a lot of improvement but Rolo cant be a #1 goalie. They really need a new goalie but I dont know who.

I've figured it out, the guys gotta play like girls!
fly4apuckguy Posted - 04/23/2007 : 16:21:37
Signing Smyth would help, but they need help on the back end, too. Losing Pronger changed the entire direction of that franchise. All because of one bad night on the town...

Sign some UFAs and they'll be back in the game.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz
Mikhailova Posted - 04/23/2007 : 15:57:08
Ah...the Oil Refinery.

A better goalie would help, getting Smyth back would help (they started sucking really bad after he left), and a big UFA signing would help. Get all three and presto! no more crude Oil. It's not going to be just one thing, it'll take multiple things to see improvement.
PainTrain Posted - 04/23/2007 : 15:35:41
Hey I was wondering where would you place Jarret Stoll on that team?

I think he's been playing good until the concussion but he is good at faceoffs, good defensively and offencively and can play the point on the PP. I'm just wondering where you would place him?
-oil-country- Posted - 04/23/2007 : 15:11:15
It was a hard choice between new coach and huge UFA signing ft i chose Huge UFA signing because if we can get either Briere or Drury or someone of the sort we will be much better. A little off topic but....I hope we get Drury cause he can teach lots of our young guys like Pouliot,Schremp,Brodziak and others and he is also a great leader,goal scorer and can play defense (penalty kill).

On the other hand though if we get a new coach they will hopefully be able to make our players play there best because right now MacT getting about 50% from most of our guys (ie. Lupul,What Bergeron could have been). Just look what happened to Bergeron after he left the Oilers he was playing amazing compared to what he was playing like on the Oilers. I don't know if the Islanders are better so he looks better or Teddy Nolan is a genius or if it was just luck and he'll do bad next year.
Beans15 Posted - 04/23/2007 : 14:25:04
Great Post.

Firstly, I don't think it is one single thing that will "fix" the Oilers. Secondly, they are not really broken. They have been the same team for the past 5 years.

01-02 - 91 pts 9th in the West
02-03 - 92 pts 8th in the West
03-04 - 89 pts 9th in the West
05-06 - 95 pts 8th in the West
06-07 - 71 pts 12th in the West

Granted, this year was their worst in the past 5, but take away 10-12 injuries in the last 2 months of the season and they would have been about 9th or 10th in the West with about 90 points. So it's not like they are broken as much as they have been the same average, playoff bubble team for the past 5 years.

Now, to say what they need to do to become a contending team is a different story. Most of the media types around the city are saying that at the minimum the Oilers need are a puck moving defenseman and a couple of consistent offensive players to round out their top two lines. They have plenty of two way forwards. The third and fourth lines are competitive in the league with guys like Moreau, Thoreson, Peterson, Pisani, Torres(crap player), and Reasoner. The problem is their first two lines are not comparable with the rest of the league. Horcoff is maybe a 2nd line centre. Hemsky is the only legitimate 1st line player on the team, and Sykora and Lupul have really under-achieved. Many people are saying that Shremp will crack the club this year as well. That makes 5 inconsistent 1st and 2nd line players. Don't be surprised to see guys like Peterson and Thoreson out of the mix and Lupul and/or Sykora on a third like with Stoll. Then, the Oilers bring in a couple of decent 1st and 2nd line players to round out Hemksy, Horcoff, and Lupul/Sykora. They also have depths for 3rd and 4th line players with Jacques, Winchester, Pouliot,

The defense is not as bad as people set them out to be. They have three solid shut down guys in Smith, Staios, and Greene. Then you have Smid, Tjarnquist, Roy, Gilbert, Syvret, Young and Hedja. Lots of depth for young, developing offensive d-men. The Oilers will bring in one or two proven d-men that can move the puck and work the PP.

They might do something with a back-up goalie as Jussi just hasn't cut it. They need someone dependable that can leave Roloson with 55-60 games. He had a decent season considering the obstacles the Oilers faced, but he was far over worked.

And as far as the coaching staff, I think they are on a short leash. I really think that Lowe will go out and get the players he needs to round out the team. It will then be up to the Coaching Staff to get what they need out of those players. If you don't see the Oilers with a very strong start to the 1st 20 games of the season, MacT and Simpson will be gone. Huddy is a good defensive coach and he will stay.

So, to answer the question in short, Lowe will go out and get 3-4 proven players to fill the gaps. He will get rid of the deadwood-under achieving players on the team and set up MacT. Then, if MacT and crew do not show up early in the year, they will be toast.

That don't think for a second that Smyth is going to get re-signed here. I think the bridges have been burned, and I also think there are far better offensive players that can be found for the money Smyth is looking for. With players like Stoll, Moreau, and Horcoff, another above average skilled defensive forward is the last thing the Oilers need. Looks for some hired guns coming to E-Town this summer.
semin-rules Posted - 04/23/2007 : 13:51:48
All of the above

~~~~~COME ON STARS, LETS BRING IT HOME~~~~~

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page