Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Vancouver
 Real Story Behind the Luongo Trade

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ryan Harper Posted - 01/09/2007 : 10:38:22
Last night while driving home from work, I was tuned in to the Team 1040 - Vancouver's local sports radio station. David Pratt spoke of some of the issues at hand behind the scenes just before Roberto Luongo was dealt to the Canucks. He said Luongo had spilled the story. I have not been able to track down any source online, and would appreciate ant help here, but this is what was said:

The Panthers owner and Jacques Martin had negotiated a long term deal that Luongo had agreed to behind GM Mike Keenan's back. They told him not to speak to Keenan. The next day Luongo got a call from RDS (french news station) that he had been traded to Vancouver.

So did Keenan know that he was going to be removed as GM and made the deal to spite the Panthers? He has always loved Bertuzzi so the deal made sense at the time. Rumours of a Frolov/Brown/Garon trade also made headlines around the time of the deal and might look like a better option now - but hindsight is 20/20. If this story is true, I bet Luongo was happy to get the hell out of Florida.

And we thought the NYI were a dysfunctional team

"Some people skate to the puck. I skate to where the puck is going to be."
~Wayne Gretzky
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tctitans Posted - 02/26/2007 : 13:01:48
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Depending on the size of the deal. I worked with a company that was the largest in the world in thier field. There were some decisions that had to go to the board of directors. Not all the shareholders, but there was a panel of elected shareholders that made the desicions.

I guess we will agree to disagree.

I currently work for a company that is the largest in the world in our field. ;)
I do agree that a a board is sometimes used to limit individual's power,
but i'm not aware of aware of any franchise that uses one. For sure in the past,
owners were brought in for consultation when huge money deals were on table
that would significantly increase the operating costs (since they'd have to sign
the cheque!), but those days are gone now with the Salary Cap.
I, for one, and quite happy that owners are not involved (in the majority of cases) as
there are very very few owners that are 'hockey people'. Most of them are smart
enough to leave everything to the experts anyways... :)
ultimatetitman Posted - 02/26/2007 : 13:00:18
It all depends on the owner and the GM. Keenan gained a bit of notoriety around the league when he demanded total control of trades without owner input in Chicago. Basically he had free reign to do whatever he wanted and the owner had no say it in. Not surprisingly the ownership group in Chicago grew tired of his antics, and tried to renegotiate his contract. He then abruptly quit and went to the Rangers. He did the same thing in St. Louis and Vancouver, with pretty much the same results, except he was cut loose in Vancouver.
A few current and ex-GM's around the league now have or have had the same freedom. Guys like Harry Sinden, Neil Smith, and Lou Lamoriello have the authority to do whatever they want. In Sinden's case, it's a bit more obvious.
On the other hand, some owners want to remain the authority on all trades and transactions, either with their own stamp of approval, or with the aid of someone that acts as a liaison between the GM and themselves.
Vancouver fans may remember that Brian Burke's contract was not renewed because he was negotiating with Todd Bertuzzi behind Stan McAmmond's back and went over his head to John McCaw to get final say on the deal.
So it does not surprise me that Keenen would swing a trade without ownership approval. In fact it would surprise me even more that he would seek approval from anyone.
I had heard when the trade happened that Luongo had basically told Keenen to go to HE** and that he was only going to deal with ownership as he felt Keenan was just toying with him and trying to break him. Once he saw that Luongo was indeed serious about that, and was close to signing, he traded him because he did not want a coniving back-stabber on his team. (that's a paraphrase of what Keenan allegedly said)
Beans15 Posted - 02/26/2007 : 12:33:38
Depending on the size of the deal. I worked with a company that was the largest in the world in thier field. There were some decisions that had to go to the board of directors. Not all the shareholders, but there was a panel of elected shareholders that made the desicions.

I guess we will agree to disagree.
tctitans Posted - 02/26/2007 : 11:50:52
quote:

WHAT?? Do you think for one second that the GM doesn't need ownership approval for decisions that will have a financial impact?? That GM could be gone tomorrow and the owner is left holding the bag.

If you seriously think that the owners are not at least consulted on contracts you are seeing the world through rose coloered glass.

A hockey team is like any other business. The owner has final decisions on what's going to happen. Most owners trust the GM's to make sound decisions and that they have a better hockey sense, but at the end of the day, when you are talking about multi-million dollar contracts and the guy signing the paychecks will always have final say.

We will agree to disagree on how business works. :) Owners hire the GMs to make
these decisions. When's the last time you saw a CEO poll the shareholders to see if
he should sign a deal or not...
Beans15 Posted - 02/26/2007 : 07:04:29
WHAT?? Do you think for one second that the GM doesn't need ownership approval for decisions that will have a financial impact?? That GM could be gone tomorrow and the owner is left holding the bag.

If you seriously think that the owners are not at least consulted on contracts you are seeing the world through rose coloered glass.

A hockey team is like any other business. The owner has final decisions on what's going to happen. Most owners trust the GM's to make sound decisions and that they have a better hockey sense, but at the end of the day, when you are talking about multi-million dollar contracts and the guy signing the paychecks will always have final say.
tctitans Posted - 02/25/2007 : 15:50:25
quote:

There is no way that the Owners of the team would let a trade happen to a player that they negotiated with and signed. Not a chance in hell. These people are businessmen. They would not negotiate a contract without some kind of signed document. A letter of intent or a letter of good faith saying that the negotiations had occured. If they did negotiate with Luongo and he wanted to stay, the owners of the Panthers would have had those documents to the league and the trade would have been invalid.

Beans, Owners *dont* negotiate contracts generally. Owners have no official capacity when it comes to Hockey decisions. That's what the GM, President of hockey operations, and the rest of the management team is for. Owners are owners (ie. observers). Certainly they have authority over hiring/firing their GM/President, but they dont have day to day control... (i'm sure they can exert pressure however.. :))
leafsfan_101 Posted - 02/24/2007 : 10:15:28
Imagine what the Canucks and Panthers would be like if this trade never occured. But I think some owners get in the way of their team a bit. Notably Charles Wong. But look at the Islanders now, nothing to complain about there(except Alexei Yashin, who, in my mind, should never go back to the Islanders).

Long Live Leafs Nation!!
Beans15 Posted - 02/24/2007 : 09:29:09
There is no way that the Owners of the team would let a trade happen to a player that they negotiated with and signed. Not a chance in hell. These people are businessmen. They would not negotiate a contract without some kind of signed document. A letter of intent or a letter of good faith saying that the negotiations had occured. If they did negotiate with Luongo and he wanted to stay, the owners of the Panthers would have had those documents to the league and the trade would have been invalid.
tctitans Posted - 02/24/2007 : 03:49:21
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

quote:

I would be surprised if this is true. You would think that most GM's in the league would have to have some kind of Owner's approval to make certain trades. I know that the GM's are much better hockey minds then the Owners are, but it is still the owners money involved. If there was a deal on the table for Luongo in Florida, how could it be possible that a trade could happen without the owner's prior knowledge or authority. This story seems like bunk to me. But, stranger things have happened.

Even as I read Ryan's post I was thinking the exact same thing. I would think that certain players (Luongo being one of them) would at least have to be run by the owner.

Owners are not normally involved in hockey operations.... and if you know anything about Keenan, it's especially the case with him and the contracts he would sign - he demands authority.

If I was a GM, i'd hate to run things by the owner... it just doesnt make any sense. Why would I ask the owner to approve everything i'm doing when it's MY JOB.
1 Crosby fan Posted - 02/24/2007 : 01:13:00
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

quote:

I would be surprised if this is true. You would think that most GM's in the league would have to have some kind of Owner's approval to make certain trades. I know that the GM's are much better hockey minds then the Owners are, but it is still the owners money involved. If there was a deal on the table for Luongo in Florida, how could it be possible that a trade could happen without the owner's prior knowledge or authority. This story seems like bunk to me. But, stranger things have happened.

Even as I read Ryan's post I was thinking the exact same thing. I would think that certain players (Luongo being one of them) would at least have to be run by the owner.

wow i was think the same too
leigh Posted - 02/23/2007 : 23:36:29
quote:

tctitans Posted - 02/23/2007 : 21:12:48
quote:

I read this story in the newspaper as well. There was no mention of Keenan doing it out of spite, he was just making what he thought was a hockey move for a guy that wasnt going to sign in Florida. Sources are credible and I believe it. In hindsight, still one of the worst trades in NHL history (nice for Canuck fans to be on the other side of the coin for this record book for a change! ;))
Beans15 Posted - 01/09/2007 : 10:59:00

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page