Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 Sundin may have career-ending surgery??

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
leafsfan_101 Posted - 05/02/2007 : 15:55:58
I heard it on the TV and radio alot (Sundin may have career-ending surgery) JP Barry said its false, as did JFJ, but Bill Waters said it is possibly true.

Thoughts??

When life gives you lemons throw them at the Ottawa Senators and their fans and hope it gets them in the eyes ;)
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
leafsfan_101 Posted - 05/09/2007 : 16:40:21
no, I think they will use the club option. I doubt they would let him hit the UFA waters.

When life gives you lemons throw them at the Ottawa Senators and their fans and hope it gets them in the eyes ;)
number1leafsfan Posted - 05/09/2007 : 16:02:47
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

Looks like he won't need surgery

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=207138&hubname=

thats good but the leafs will probably release him anyway

Go Leafs Go

Ducks Winning The Cup!!!!
Mikhailova Posted - 05/09/2007 : 15:08:48
Looks like he won't need surgery

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=207138&hubname=
leafsfan_101 Posted - 05/02/2007 : 16:20:44
Surgery optional for Sundin, source says
Captain does not require operation on hip socket

DAVID SHOALTS

With a report from Tim Wharnsby

E-mail David Shoalts | Read Bio | Latest Columns
OTTAWA -- Mats Sundin has a torn labrum, which is the cartilage surrounding the hip socket, according to a National Hockey League source.

Surgery is one of the treatment options, but it is not required as long as he is in no discomfort. A medical source said surgeons will not recommend surgery as long as there is no pain and that the Toronto Maple Leafs' captain can play with the injury.

Maple Leafs general manager John Ferguson emphasized yesterday that Sundin has no discomfort nor does he have any plans to have surgery. This was echoed by Sundin's agent, J.P. Barry, who also said the Leafs' captain is "disturbed and upset that confidential medical information has been leaked."

It was also emphasized by Ferguson and a medical source familiar with Sundin's condition that it is not the same as the degenerative hip condition that ended the hockey career of former Leaf Alexander Mogilny.

Like Barry, Ferguson thinks someone is trying to create dissension between him and the Leafs' captain.

"Someone is using what would otherwise be fairly innocuous information and making it greater," Ferguson said.

A report in the Toronto Sun said Sundin "needs surgery almost immediately to repair a hip problem." The report also said Sundin's problem was similar to Mogilny's.

"Someone obviously leaked some confidential medical information and then it was sensationalized," Barry said. "This is very disturbing."

Mogilny developed a degenerative condition in the ball-and-socket joint in his hip from the wear and tear of his NHL career. Surgery failed to correct the problem and he retired last season, when he was 37, after signing with the New Jersey Devils as a free agent.

However, while Sundin's tear was caused by the grind of an NHL season, it is a conventional injury. The medical source said the only way to repair the tear is with surgery, but it is not necessary because athletes can live with and play with the injury without causing further damage.

"These days, there is none, zero [discomfort]," Ferguson said. "We're talking about something that didn't cost him a single practice, let alone a game. This was something that shows up in a typical exit physical [exam] and is addressed in timely fashion.

"Mats has not been advised that he needs [surgery] and it certainly has not been scheduled. But it is premature to say he will not need it some time."

The medical source said the surgery can be postponed indefinitely and could be done after Sundin, 36, retires from hockey if pain becomes an issue.

The injury occurred during the regular season, but Sundin kept playing because he was not in pain and not in danger of suffering further damage. In fact, down the stretch, as the Leafs were fighting for a playoff spot, he regularly rode an exercise bike for 20 minutes after every game to keep his fitness levels up.

Barry agreed with Ferguson and also wondered whether someone was trying to drive a wedge between Sundin and the Leafs' organization.

"As any player does, Mats underwent a season-ending examination," Barry said. "It was discovered that there was a minor problem with his hip, and it was determined that there would be another look at his hip when Mats returns to Sweden.

"He was always going to have another physical because of the impending contract negotiations. But my understanding was, and still is, that Mats [hip] condition is minor in nature."

Sundin, who has been vacationing in the Caribbean and Paris, was expected to return home to Sweden yesterday. He plans to see a doctor in Sweden on May 9.

Barry said contract talks with Ferguson are moving along, but an agreement is not close. It is expected Sundin will sign for two years in the neighbourhood of $5.75-million (U.S.) a year.

"We're zeroing in on the parameters," Barry said. "We're at a stage now where I have to sit down and talk to Mats and inform him of what numbers have been exchanged, and see how he feels about it."

leafsfan_101 Posted - 05/02/2007 : 16:19:23
Ya its hip. ill try and get a story also.

semin-rules Posted - 05/02/2007 : 16:11:58
I'm pretty sure it's his hip.

I'll try to find the full story.

~~~~~Great season Stars, better luck next year~~~~~
leigh Posted - 05/02/2007 : 16:03:47
What type of surgery are they talking about? What body part?
Mikhailova Posted - 05/02/2007 : 15:59:21
What are they doing in the surgery?

If Sundin's career is over though, so are the Leafs' playoff hopes (at least with this current team/GM).

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page