Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 Maurice Gets Fired

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex Posted - 05/07/2008 : 09:55:09
Paul Maurice has been relieved of his duties by interim General Manager Cliff Fletcher. Does he deserve the blame for the team's poor performance?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beans15 Posted - 05/08/2008 : 10:20:36
I agree that he didn't have much to work with, but there were many time through this last season that he appeared to have given up. If the coach had given up, most of the players will follow suit.

That team is destined for a decade long run of futility. Just like in the 80's.
n/a Posted - 05/08/2008 : 08:32:38
Easy to fire a coach, when you have so many bloated contracts, overpaid underachievers, and AHL prospects on the team!

Maurice wasn't my favourite coach, but I don't think he did poorly for the Leafs. He seemed very well prepared, certainly had the room, the players respected him, and I thought he made do quite well considering what he had to work with.

The move struck me as strange, in terms of timing. Why fire the coach before the new general manager is brought in? Why not let your new top guy make those decisions - after all, he may actually keep him on! I heard afterward from Cliff Fletcher that the reasoning was he wanted to fire Maurice early, for HIS sake, because he wanted to know early . . . but the decision to fire before a general manager is brought in still seems quite odd to me.

The whole rates a "meh".

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
leafsfan_101 Posted - 05/07/2008 : 15:11:22
I thought that was an effective line. All three players had good size and could feed the puck to Sundin so that he could do what he did behind the net. It was also a good shutdown line, again having to do with the size of the players.

I also think that you can never say that someone didn't do their job to the best of thier ability. Maurice did his best everyday he was the Leafs coach. Unfortunatly his best didn't garner great results and he was canned because of it.
Leafsfan_94 Posted - 05/07/2008 : 14:43:42
i agree it wasnt all his fault but he didnt do the best he could, especially when it came to making lines. he made the worst choices. like on 06-07 sundin poni and antropov. that was a horrible line

quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

I wouldn't blame all of the failure of the Leafs in the past 2 years on Maurice. Not even half. Maurice never coached the Leafs well, partly because he was short ended with such a horrible team. No, it's not Maurice's fault entirely.

Leafsfan_94

leafsfan_101 Posted - 05/07/2008 : 14:38:29
I wouldn't blame all of the failure of the Leafs in the past 2 years on Maurice. Not even half. Maurice never coached the Leafs well, partly because he was short ended with such a horrible team. No, it's not Maurice's fault entirely.

Leafsfan_94 Posted - 05/07/2008 : 14:32:34
definetely. he is the reason the leafs have sucked so much. im running short on time so ill say the one thing that i hate.

what he does to Darcy Tucker
this guy bleeds blue blood and he plays him on the 3rd and fourth line. later in the year. when he started playing good. he played him on the 1st/2nd line and he was there best playre for the rest of the season.(last 10 games maybe)

Leafsfan_94

leafsfan_101 Posted - 05/07/2008 : 13:12:07
There is no doubt that Maurice deserved to be fired. At times the Leafs were the worst team in the league this year and Maurice didn't look like he was doing anything. He lost the locker room during the year and was one of the factors that prevented the Leafs from going into the playoffs.

Management needed a shake up and Maurice had to go. Period.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page