Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 Where will Sundin end up?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
admin Posted - 07/04/2008 : 11:54:11
Where will Mats Sundin spend the 08/09 NHL season?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Leafsfan_94 Posted - 08/06/2008 : 19:24:08
just retire sundin i was so dissapointed because i was excited to see your decision 5 DAYYS AGO

Leafsfan_94

Bozy Posted - 08/06/2008 : 19:22:41
Make up your mind Sundin I thought he was supposed to have his decision already . I say retirement .
leigh Posted - 07/16/2008 : 10:55:35
He won't end up in Vancouver. I doubt that he would believe that they will put up a contender in 2 years.
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 07/16/2008 : 06:07:26
Sorry....the above post was me.

Guest0332 Posted - 07/16/2008 : 06:06:33
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

Personally, Montreal is out of the question. There was a window of opportunity during the leadup to July 1st and shortly thereafter where the idea was intriguing but at this point I don't think so. He has expressed interest that it would be one of his ideal non-Toronto destinations though, so we can't write the Habs off just yet.

The Canucks seem logical, but not because of the Sedin twins. As someone mentioned, he is much closer to Naslund than he is to them. The reason I could have potentially seen him moving to Vancouver is for the money, but if I know Sundin he won't play on a team that would place him in a defensive role and have a mediocre shot at the cup no matter what he makes..

Therefore, I'd think that the best NHL fit would be New York: a team clearly trying to win it all this year, plus he'd play along side Naslund and would remain in the Eastern Conference. Toronto is not going to happen, because they don't want him and you have to wonder if he even wants them at this point (how many times can the wife kick the husband out of the house before he packs up and leaves??)

The most likely of all though is that, unfortunately, he will probably call it a career and focus on his new family with his wife.

Proudly Celebrating Over 50 Blogs and Counting

Quite possibly the best fit for him would be with the NYR. But I think with the signing of Redden and Naslund that potentially rules out any move to MSG.

The most honourable and respectable thing is for him to retire. What happened to "I want to finish my career as a Leaf"? I know I am just repeating what everybody says but he should have left at the trade deadline where the Leafs could've gotten something for him.

The only excuse he may have is that the Leafs were fighting for a playoff spot last year and he didnt want to leave the team under those circumstances. But really, how realistic were the Leafs chances of making the post season? Not verry good.
Alex Posted - 07/16/2008 : 04:10:31
Personally, Montreal is out of the question. There was a window of opportunity during the leadup to July 1st and shortly thereafter where the idea was intriguing but at this point I don't think so. He has expressed interest that it would be one of his ideal non-Toronto destinations though, so we can't write the Habs off just yet.

The Canucks seem logical, but not because of the Sedin twins. As someone mentioned, he is much closer to Naslund than he is to them. The reason I could have potentially seen him moving to Vancouver is for the money, but if I know Sundin he won't play on a team that would place him in a defensive role and have a mediocre shot at the cup no matter what he makes..

Therefore, I'd think that the best NHL fit would be New York: a team clearly trying to win it all this year, plus he'd play along side Naslund and would remain in the Eastern Conference. Toronto is not going to happen, because they don't want him and you have to wonder if he even wants them at this point (how many times can the wife kick the husband out of the house before he packs up and leaves??)

The most likely of all though is that, unfortunately, he will probably call it a career and focus on his new family with his wife.

Proudly Celebrating Over 50 Blogs and Counting
Leafsfan_94 Posted - 07/16/2008 : 03:23:36
probably retire sign with vancouver and if he plays with the sedin's he would be awesome. or go to NYR which then he could also play with naslund...

i cant decide one of the 3.

Leafsfan_94

leigh Posted - 07/15/2008 : 20:28:27
I live in Vancouver and the Sedins are called the "sisters" daily, even in the newspapers.
Guest7281 Posted - 07/15/2008 : 20:15:04
[quote]Originally posted by Guest7321

I believe he will either stay in Toronto or retire.

Also, just a comment to Beans15. I have been following these forums for quite a while - albeit without signing up - and I am normally impressed with the hockey knowledge and insight that Beans provides. Why would you cheapen that image with a comment like 'Sedin Sisters'? I have seen this exact comment on two recent posts. It's just not a comment that I would expect a moderator on a serious hockey forum to make.

We, here in Vancouver, have being calling Daniel and Henrik the Sedin Sisters for years. In fact, anyone who follows the Canucks would know what one was talking about if someone mentioned "the sisters". The sisters had a great game last night..... too bad the sisters don't show more grit.....etc I would suggest that not calling them "the sisters" would show the lack of knowledge of them when it comes to a serious hockey forum.

I think that Sundin wants to go to a contender if he decides that he is going to play at all. Not Van, not T-dot, Mtl or NYR are the logical choices. Go HABS go!!!
Guest7321 Posted - 07/14/2008 : 18:17:27
I believe he will either stay in Toronto or retire.

Also, just a comment to Beans15. I have been following these forums for quite a while - albeit without signing up - and I am normally impressed with the hockey knowledge and insight that Beans provides. Why would you cheapen that image with a comment like 'Sedin Sisters'? I have seen this exact comment on two recent posts. It's just not a comment that I would expect a moderator on a serious hockey forum to make.

Thanks,
Lance

Guest4043 Posted - 07/12/2008 : 21:41:34
NYR
Axey Posted - 07/12/2008 : 07:07:45
Vancouver is out of the running with the signing of Demitra( I think so anyways), maybe this franchise is so backwards right now they are going for a shot at Tavares? Montreal has roughly 7 mill left, I doubt Gainey will go for the full 7 and try to go through a season with no cap space but who knows with all of the UFAS at the end of next season.
Guest0138 Posted - 07/10/2008 : 22:00:32
First of all, I'd like to say this site has given me a few headaches. I've registered but I am not able to login. Anyhow...about Sundin. I grew up in Quebec city and with the years I became a Montreal fan. I just love hockey so much...I grew to love the team I hated the most for the first half of my life.

Nothin would please me more than to see Sundin comin' to Montreal. I beleive it would be a great strategical decision from the HABS management and if Sundin is contemplating retirement in the next couple of years, is Montreal or Vancouver more likely to put a ring on his finger?

99pickles Posted - 07/08/2008 : 11:54:48
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I wonder, if Sundin signs with NYR, will Forsberg maybe sign for less to be with his country men and let them try to go out on top???

This is a great observation...this is starting to look like the one right here.
I´m also Cånädiön Posted - 07/08/2008 : 05:12:17
I think there´s a bigger chance that he stays with Toronto than he signs with Vancouver.

I would like him to sign with the Wings for free but it may be unlikely so NYR have to do.

quote:
I wonder, if Sundin signs with NYR, will Forsberg maybe sign for less to be with his country men and let them try to go out on top???

Forsberg and Sundin on the same line would be insane but i don´t think you´ll see Forsberg in the NHL anymore.
Beans15 Posted - 07/07/2008 : 17:29:52
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

I don't think that New York will have to match the Canucks offer. Sundin wants to win a cup AND he probably doesn't want to play in an overly defensive system. The Canucks are in turmoil, one player will not fix their problem. Wellwood certainly won't. I think he sees that, and isn't going to spend his last couple years on a team that is no where near reaching the pinnacle. He'll go to a team where there is a chance to win the Stanley Cup. Money is only a small factor (considering all the rumors that he is pretty financially set...even by pro sports standards)

Now throw in the fact that Nazzy is in NYR too and it could be a pretty sweet opportunity for him.

I would also throw in the fact that Sundin has always played in the Eastern Conference. I don't see him moving too far west. From what I have read and heard, east players like the east because of the difference in travel. In Vancouver, the travel to one game might be as much or more than an entire road trip for NYR.

And as I said, Sundin is closer to Naslund than he is with the Swedes on the Canucks roster.

leigh Posted - 07/07/2008 : 11:11:45
I don't think that New York will have to match the Canucks offer. Sundin wants to win a cup AND he probably doesn't want to play in an overly defensive system. The Canucks are in turmoil, one player will not fix their problem. Wellwood certainly won't. I think he sees that, and isn't going to spend his last couple years on a team that is no where near reaching the pinnacle. He'll go to a team where there is a chance to win the Stanley Cup. Money is only a small factor (considering all the rumors that he is pretty financially set...even by pro sports standards)

Now throw in the fact that Nazzy is in NYR too and it could be a pretty sweet opportunity for him.
hockster Posted - 07/07/2008 : 10:01:47
I dont think the rangers are stupid enough to offer him that much money
he is no where near worth that much
99pickles Posted - 07/07/2008 : 02:47:30
Now that we are certain that Jagr isn't returning to NYR (close to $4.5M salary cap hit) added to the salary cap increase this year (was it 7 mil??)...this equals: enough to pay Sundin $10M each of the next 2 seasons to be a Blueshirt. Seems logical...

Really tough call here.

About 5 days ago the word was that he wouldn't make a decision until the end of next week (approx. 2 weeks from the statement).

Man, this is a lot of waffling from a guy who may still play this year!!
leigh Posted - 07/06/2008 : 20:21:13
I'd put money on the Rangers.
Axey Posted - 07/06/2008 : 20:00:59
He already has enough money.. its really going to take alot of talking to get him into a Canuck uniform. I believe Sundin wants a shot at the cup before he retires not more money, T.O. isn't really the place for a cup.I want him to go to the Habs, I dont really see him going to the west (who knows though). Rangers won't sign him either.
PainTrain Posted - 07/06/2008 : 19:30:04
I would love to see him go to Vancouver. Seeing him and the Sedins cycling it down low would be something to watch. It seems like it's either Montreal or New York because both of them have good chances at getting the Stanley Cup.

When the going gets tough....the tough get going!
hockster Posted - 07/05/2008 : 11:17:26
I wouldnt be Surprised if he takes any offer it would be Vancouver,
they are giving him so much money.
What would you take?
A few friends for 2 years or 20 million dollars?
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 07/05/2008 : 10:21:35
I think that if he was going to Vancouver he would signed the 20 million dollar contract already. But really what would persuade him to go to Van. Its not like there anywhere close to having a team that can make a run for the cup.
Guest4680 Posted - 07/05/2008 : 09:54:48
99% to Vancouver because that much money offering from the canucks will make him go to Vancouver..

10 million per yr wow more ovie
Beans15 Posted - 07/05/2008 : 07:43:23
I would say that Vancouver is out of the running on this as his buddy Naslund is now in NYR.

In fact, I think that the Rangers might be top of the list right now. Not only are they one of the few teams reported that have a legitimate shot at winning, but with Naslund, Sjostrom and Lunqvist being fellow country men, that might tip the scales.

Sure the Canucks have the Sedin sisters, Edler, and Ohlund, but Sundin is closer with Naslund.
99pickles Posted - 07/05/2008 : 01:14:00
Very tough call here...

Because he is doing so well in real estate, as reported, I don't think he might be interested in hockey anymore. Unless his agent can convince him how much better that real estate can be with an extra $20 MILLION DOLLARS to invest!!

I think it makes more sense for him to sign in Montreal, but the new owners in Van. may want to make a statement by signing him.
hockster Posted - 07/04/2008 : 21:56:42
Hes not gonna come back.
Hes to old.
I believe it is his time to hang up the skates.
Open_Ice Posted - 07/04/2008 : 12:26:50
As much of a shock as it would be... I actually dont think Sundin is coming back My vote is for retirement
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 07/04/2008 : 11:59:14
Im going to say the best bets are either he resigns in Toronto or signs with NYR.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page