Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 For how many games will Rick Rypien be suspended?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
admin Posted - 10/20/2010 : 22:14:56
How many games will Rick Rypien of the Vancouver Canucks get for his assault on a Minnesota Wild Fan during a game?
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex116 Posted - 10/25/2010 : 11:29:54
Slozo, i couldn't agree more with the comments you made about the NHL blowing it yet again. As far as impact players go, Rypien is at the low end of the spectrum as far as impact players go and as far as salary, etc. This is a perfect player to use as somewhat of a scapegoat to set the standard going forward! I know it shouldn't matter who it is when dishing out suspensions, but we all know it does some into play. While i think 20 or 30 is awfully harsh, i maintain that 10 would have been deserved. Had he actually pummelled the guy, then yeah, half a season or more would be okay by me.
n/a Posted - 10/25/2010 : 10:52:25
Well, as someone tried to use the office analogy saying that they might do something if a coworker spit on them, they failed to see that as a comparison, that would be another hockey player spitting on another hockey player.

A better comparison, would be a visitor from outside - say, a sales rep from another company that you are all meeting - and a bit of an argument over prices escalates in the slae guy spitting on you, in front of your coworkers who are also marginally involved. THEN, what you would do might be a closer analogy . . . although nothing in the office is compareable to the fan/athlete relationship where it is normal and acceptable to be booed and cheered. And, where they PAY to see you.

But in the end, those are fantasy simulations, relating to a fantasy hockey situation that never happened, so it is all moot.

The fan never spit or physically attacked Rypien, so there is nothing resembling an instigation here.

Would have been so easy to give 15, 20, even 30 games to show the fans they are wanted, especially in the depressed economy and flagging attendance era we are now in.

Yet again a brutal, idiotic, stupid, head shaking move by the eternally confounding NHL management. What more can I say?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Beans15 Posted - 10/25/2010 : 10:26:05
I am not trying to do a straight up comparison however I can see where my last post did appear to be just that.

What I have been saying all along is that a professional needs to act like a professional regardless of their job. The standards a professional athlete is held to and how you and I are measured are two very different things.

Regardless, the principle is the same.

That being said, the world does move fast and sometime people don't think before they act. Those people are also held accountable to their actions. Rypien's 6 game slap on the wrist is really a joke in the grand scheme of things for acting in a fashion to which any other person would be fired from their job (comparatively speaking).

here is another interested analogy. What would happen to say, a trainer for a hockey team or the equipment manager if they were to grab a fan in the stands as Rypien did. Do you think they would keep their job??
Alex116 Posted - 10/25/2010 : 09:42:41
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I can tell you from experience, you have to keep your cool or there are consequences. I have been in positions for the past 10 years where terminating employment was part of my job. People do unbelievable things when they get fired and let me tell you, I have been spit on, had stuff thrown at me, had people try to come over the table at me, I even had a guy try to run me down in the parking lot after work.

Did I beat the crap out of any of these guys?? Nope, because I would have been fired. I am a professional and need to act accordingly at all times, regardless of what someone may do to me. If I do anything more than protect myself, I fired.

That's the way the real world works.

Beans, kudos to you. I would not want your job. Well, then again, it depends how you or your boss determines what is "protecting yourself". Personally, if i had a guy try to run me down in a parking lot and i somehow got a chance, i'd pummel him. THAT, in my mind is protecting myself. See, when i finished with him, he would be in no shape to try to run me down again.

All kidding aside, the fan didn't spit on Rypien anyway so it's really not important. The differing opinions seem to be more towards whether or no the Canucks should continue to employ Rypien as some feel he should be cut loose, others feel he should be cut some slack.

Whether or not you wanna believe this, my opinion is not what it is because he's a Canuck. I just don't feel what he did warrants him being exiled / cut / waiver / etc. I can't recall ever feeling this way about any player for any actions they carried out. Yes, playing hockey for a living is somewhat of a priveledge but can you imagine if they start cutting every player who makes some sort of mistake????
irvine Posted - 10/25/2010 : 06:57:48
I understand how the 'real world' works, as I have been living in it for quite some time.

However, the 'real world' can also be unpredictable.

Things happen quickly, and sometimes peoples minds don't catch up before their actions.

That's part of this 'real world'.

Irvine/prez.
Beans15 Posted - 10/24/2010 : 09:11:49
I can tell you from experience, you have to keep your cool or there are consequences. I have been in positions for the past 10 years where terminating employment was part of my job. People do unbelievable things when they get fired and let me tell you, I have been spit on, had stuff thrown at me, had people try to come over the table at me, I even had a guy try to run me down in the parking lot after work.

Did I beat the crap out of any of these guys?? Nope, because I would have been fired. I am a professional and need to act accordingly at all times, regardless of what someone may do to me. If I do anything more than protect myself, I fired.

That's the way the real world works.
irvine Posted - 10/23/2010 : 21:06:09
I'm torn with this, to be honest.

I don't condone what Rypien did, at all. But, if the fan did spit on him, (which, i don't believe he did), but let us say that he did, as nuxfan and Guest are talking about...

Then, I could not really be that upset with Rypien over it. Personally.

Guest says "You mean to tell me if a person spit on you or threw a beer at you, you wouldn't do a thing ?"

nuxfan says " Guest - if someone threw a beer or spit at you *at your place of work*, what would you do?

Probably nothing, other than stare in disbelief at what happened, and walk away to let someone else deal with the offender. Which is exactly what hockey players should do."

Here is where I am torn, a bit.

If a person spit on me, at work, I can't say what I would do. Until it happened. I may lose my cool, and, in the heat of the moment, do something I would not normally do under normal circumstances. Heat of the moment, does funny things to people.

Also, my job does not allow fighting to begin with. If I fight at work, I don't sit in a box for 5 minutes, as a "time out", then return to work like nothing happened.

After just fighting a guy, temper already flaring, then being spat on (hypothetically, as it likely never happened), then yeah, I'm not sure what I'd do in all honesty.

It's easy for us to say "It should never have happened. I'd never have done that. Hockey players shouldn't do that."

But, they are human too. And, I, personally, can't sit here and say for certain i'd not sock the guy, who spat on me. In the heat of the moment.

At work or not.

Irvine/prez.
nuxfan Posted - 10/23/2010 : 19:01:52
Guest - if someone threw a beer or spit at you *at your place of work*, what would you do?

Probably nothing, other than stare in disbelief at what happened, and walk away to let someone else deal with the offender. Which is exactly what hockey players should do.
Guest0814 Posted - 10/23/2010 : 16:08:46
You mean to tell me if a person spit on you or threw a beer at you, you wouldn't do a thing ?
Alex116 Posted - 10/21/2010 : 13:34:44
Gus.....Doubt the fan spat on him or else we'd have heard about it by now? I think, at worst, the fan might have heckled him and the rest of the team from the drop of the puck? IF that's the worst he did, Rypien was WAY outta line! If he spat on him, threw beer on him, etc, he still shouldn't have done what he did but i could see the league going easier on him. From what i've seen / heard, at most, it was verbal and Rypien snapped!
I really think the league will use this to set a new precedence that things like this won't be tolerated. Throw in the likeliness that the league is still bitter towards the Canucks over the Burrows / Auger incident, and i see it as, and voted for 10+.
Gusteroni Posted - 10/21/2010 : 12:37:13
He could have got 3 different suspensions with all he did. He would have received a game misconduct but apparently the refs didn't see him grab the fan therefore a 10 min misconduct. I believe it will be in the 7 to 9 range.

Like it was said before Barnaby got 4 games and that was a coons age ago, it's kind of like inflation. I think there is going to be a hefty fine to pay as well. I still wonder if the fan might have spit at him, something we might not have seen on camera? I guess the fan is going to sue for assault from what I've heard.

"When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too."
ToXXiK1 Posted - 10/21/2010 : 08:56:21
The first 1/2 of your post, you seem to be onside with a stiff penalty, describing all that he did. The second 1/2, sounds like your bailing him out. 5 min for the fan part, then add on for the rest.
Guest1795 Posted - 10/21/2010 : 08:38:00
IT's not just the "fan part". It's the fact he sucker punched the guy, struggled with the linesman all the way to the bench, then attacked the fan.

It's more than that. The unfortunate part is that will probably make an example out of it, which will be too harsh. 5 games is all he should get max.
semin-rules Posted - 10/21/2010 : 06:07:45
Seven to nine. Matthew barnaby had the same incdident happen to him in 2000, and he got four games. The leauge is now trying to lay down the law and try and eliminate this stuff from happening and send a message. They will hit him pretty hard.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page