Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Pronger's Latest Antics

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4178 Posted - 11/17/2010 : 13:43:27
After the Canadien's most recent 3-0 shutout victory over the Flyers, Chris Pronger took it upon himself to scoop up the game puck. This is something he did in Chicago after the first two games of the the Flyers-Blackhawks playoff series, and to the chagrin of Blackhawks players and fans alike.

Pronger didn't keep the puck after the Montreal game though. Canadiens captain Brian Gionta and his teammate Scott Gomez confronted Pronger, who ended up handing the puck over to the two Habs players.

Pronger downplayed his intentions afterwards, stating with a smirk that "I was going to give it to a precious kid in the stands. I guess I didn't get the opportunity." Yeah right Chris!

As it turned out, Gionta and Gomez gave the puck to Price, who in turn, tossed it to a child in the stands.

This is not the biggest hockey story of the week, but in a week which includes the antics of Sean Avery, it's just another example of a player few fans (and fellow NHL players) have a lot of respect for. Thankfully, players like Avery, Pronger, Burrows, etc. are the exception to how most NHL players behave on and off the ice.

24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex116 Posted - 11/24/2010 : 21:46:43
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I wouldn't call it bias as much as I would call it history. Pronger has a long history of being a prankster, both with his team mates and with the other team. Not just from the past season, but his entire career. So if he has always been playful in nature with a little bit of an edge it is easier to see future actions as such.

When a player is an agitator, a complainer, a whiner, and ultimately a d-bag all around, it is easier to see their future actions as such.

So call it bias if you will. However, if Burrows did this and had the interview with his normal arrogant, condescending attitude I have watch him have with the press, then yes I would call it out. But if he did it playfully, joking and laughing while he did it, I would more easily appreciate the humor in what he did and not the person he is.

Delivery baby. It's all in the delivery.

Fair enough. But i'll remember this when Burrows "delivers" his next "antic"
Beans15 Posted - 11/24/2010 : 17:19:08
I wouldn't call it bias as much as I would call it history. Pronger has a long history of being a prankster, both with his team mates and with the other team. Not just from the past season, but his entire career. So if he has always been playful in nature with a little bit of an edge it is easier to see future actions as such.

When a player is an agitator, a complainer, a whiner, and ultimately a d-bag all around, it is easier to see their future actions as such.

So call it bias if you will. However, if Burrows did this and had the interview with his normal arrogant, condescending attitude I have watch him have with the press, then yes I would call it out. But if he did it playfully, joking and laughing while he did it, I would more easily appreciate the humor in what he did and not the person he is.

Delivery baby. It's all in the delivery.
Alex116 Posted - 11/24/2010 : 15:04:32
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15
Just take off your Canuck's glasses for a second and watch Burrow's play one period and you will see he is a d-bag all the time. Easy to hate.

As far as Pronger goes, this kind of stuff makes me laugh. Makes him laugh too which is the best part of it. He just does it to get a rise out of someone(or a group of people) and every just goes completely banana's over it.

Seriously, keep it up Pronger. I love every minute of it!

Beans, here is a great example of a bias. I could be wrong, but i doubt it, but if this were Burrows "stealing a puck", we'd never hear the end of it! It would be one of the most despicable acts ever!
Beans15 Posted - 11/24/2010 : 14:03:28
quote:
Originally posted by Yewcandoit

I personally am glad Pronger is out of the west.

He's just doing what he does best, be a pest.

I understand that Burrows is also a big pest, but I wouldn't put him in the same league of Pronger, Avery and Carcillo as far as gamesmanship goes.

I could be wrong (I am a Canucks fan).

What has burrows done to gain such a poor rep? Complaining about refs?

Just take off your Canuck's glasses for a second and watch Burrow's play one period and you will see he is a d-bag all the time. Easy to hate.

As far as Pronger goes, this kind of stuff makes me laugh. Makes him laugh too which is the best part of it. He just does it to get a rise out of someone(or a group of people) and every just goes completely banana's over it.

Seriously, keep it up Pronger. I love every minute of it!
Yewcandoit Posted - 11/24/2010 : 12:05:19
I personally am glad Pronger is out of the west.

He's just doing what he does best, be a pest.

I understand that Burrows is also a big pest, but I wouldn't put him in the same league of Pronger, Avery and Carcillo as far as gamesmanship goes.

I could be wrong (I am a Canucks fan).

What has burrows done to gain such a poor rep? Complaining about refs?
Guest0823 Posted - 11/23/2010 : 20:51:05
Its a puck, a regular season game and we don't know what he would have done with it. He might know someone that wanted the puck or something, not a big deal, lay off the guy. He doesn't seem to be the nicest dude on the block, but I mean come on, after all Avery's done and then Pronger picks up a puck, now hes some bad a$$?
Utemin Posted - 11/19/2010 : 17:20:27
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Utemin - why do you say Pronger is a "nice guy? Do you know him personally? Please be specific . . . otherwise, I'd be inclined to believe you have as much evidence as I have to look at Pronger's actions and judge whether he is a nice guy or not. And whatever evidence you may have about him being "nice", I can guarantee I have more than twice that amount to prove he is a jerk - on and off the ice.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Ok i have no evidence that he is a nice guy but his team mates respect him, and apparently Pronger was willing to speak to people during the olympics. its a Rumor no evidence i will word more carfully next time.

The Monkey is me
Guest4718 Posted - 11/19/2010 : 13:11:16
lmao get ur facts straight before you use dumbass example slike suddam husein first off he only murdered 4000 people whille bush at the time murdered 30, 000 i no this isnt related but i had to add this in
Guest7852 Posted - 11/19/2010 : 11:44:56
dammm

the moron was supposed to save me the puck
KariyaSelanne Posted - 11/18/2010 : 17:34:36
I'm just saying its not a big deal or anything just cause' he took a puck lol.

BTW, always have been a Pronger fan also
Awesome One Posted - 11/18/2010 : 15:24:49
Why does this really matter?
So he took a few pucks, so what?

I'm not saying it's right, but I'm just wondering why it's such a big deal.

There was once a license plate in Toronto that abbreviated "Go Leafs" it read "Golfs".
n/a Posted - 11/18/2010 : 09:32:22
In the grand scheme of things, is this incident a big deal? Probably not.

But is it a classless, annoying act by a guy who seems to relish the "guy you love to hate" label? Most certainly.

Sad to see commenters here shoot down a post that had a lot of good points in it (Guest 4178).

Guest 4803 - who are you, the peanut gallery? You think a guy is nice just because he gives to charity, something that was correctly pointed out as often necessary in fulfilling a contract, and seen as something you have to do for a proffessional athlete? You must completely deluded if you think these kinds of "small things" are anything more than an underhanded psychological ploy to piss off the other team . . . stealing the puck from the team that won the game at the end is very much against the unwritten code of conduct that all hockey players follow.

Something doesn't have to be a "big deal" to be wrong, and we as humans are 100% entitled to give opinions on them.

Utemin - why do you say Pronger is a "nice guy? Do you know him personally? Please be specific . . . otherwise, I'd be inclined to believe you have as much evidence as I have to look at Pronger's actions and judge whether he is a nice guy or not. And whatever evidence you may have about him being "nice", I can guarantee I have more than twice that amount to prove he is a jerk - on and off the ice.

KariyaSellane - Shame on you! Your moniker has the names of two of the classier players in the NHL, real stand-up guys. And you have the nerve to try and defend Pronger's actions by saying . . . what, after getting shut out that he wanted to take the puck from that game and give it to fans, in your imagination?

If getting the puck did not mean anything to him, why get it at all? Why wouldn't Pronger follow the normal code of conduct for puck retrieval in a game that was a 3-0 shutout . . . that is, the puck is the WINNING TEAM'S to pick up (unwritten code of conduct for all NHL teams), and would usually go to the goalie that got the shutout. In this case, the Montreal players usually give the puck to a fan in the stands after the game, as directed by their management team I believe - nice standard practice.

What ridiculous logic you follow then . . . Pronger doesn't care about the puck, he only plays to entertain people and to give them pride in their country (not for the money he is paid, no no no), but going out of his way to do a disruptive thing that is against a basic unwritten code of conduct is "nothing".

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 11/18/2010 : 09:23:43
How do Pronger and Avery even end up in the same sentence together?

To compare Pronger to Avery is total hogwash. Pronger has won all that can be won, he has represented Canada more than admirably, and he gets flogged for picking up a puck?

Get a grip folks, your haste to chastise is getting in the way of common sense. Guest4178, I appreciate you opinions, but when you start talking of 'vast majorities' and how the game would be better off without a player of Pronger's abilities, I am unsure how much crediblity to give said opinion.

You can personally vouch for the 'vast majority of people in the game (players, coaches, officials, etc.),'? You have those kind of connections?

If all you see are these 'heinous' acts of classlessness, and not the positives a player like Pronger brings to the game, I am afraid you may not be the fan you think you are.

Avery, on the other hand, is a player that can be replaced without any loss to the 'game' of hockey, but he does a function that others can't, he creates controversy, he creates press and sound bytes, he makes people pay attention to the team he is on. Like it or not, I personally don't', the 'game' is a business, and he is a cheap marketeer. The very fact that people want to see him get his, puts fans in the seats.

Maybe Prionger should just grab Avery the next time they meet, beat him to a pulp, forcing Avery to retire, then not only does the game get rid of Avery, but Pronger redeems himself in the eyes of his naysayers.
Alex116 Posted - 11/18/2010 : 07:57:17
Never been a fan of Pronger though i respect that he's been a heckuva player for years. This incident, like CM said, isn't all that big a deal since it wasn't any sort of special game or milestone for anyone. If he was doing it to piss the Habs off, perhaps that's a little gamesmanship? I don't necessarily agree with it and find it somewhat childish (just as i did in the playoffs), perhaps that's the little Avery/Carcillo/etc in him trying to get under the skin of a team he could well be battling for a playoff spot!?!?

Or, as has been menioned, maybe he was gonna give it a kid himself?
Canucks Man Posted - 11/18/2010 : 07:11:24
Pronger is an Ass, simple as that, however, its just a puck at the end of the game, yeah if it was a milestone game, like Prices 1st shutout, or 100th win or something. But it was just a regular season game, so who really gives a s***?

As for Avery, the guy is such a loser it really doesn't matter if he saves a bus full of children, that won't gain any respect back for him.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
KariyaSelanne Posted - 11/18/2010 : 06:45:24
quote:
Originally posted by Guest3502

How do we even know if he wasn't giving the puck to a kid?

Why are you assuming he wouldn't?
Guest3502 Posted - 11/18/2010 : 04:34:45
Guest3502 Posted - 11/18/2010 : 04:33:42
KariyaSelanne Posted - 11/17/2010 : 21:26:59
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4178

Assuming you're correct (that these players do more for their communities than I do, or ever will), so what?

Saddam Hussein murdered tens of thousands of people, but in his own way, I'm sure he had a charitable side! Sure, this is a gross exaggeration to prove a point, but just because Pronger or Avery do charitable work (which is often a requirement of their employment, or on the advice of their agents or business managers, and oftentimes, to promote their image or reputation), this does not make them respectful people (or players).

That's great that Avery has your respect – you're a very forgiving and understanding person. Just wondering though – if you respect Avery, Pronger and the like, who don't you respect? Just because every NHL player donates some time and money on the side, is it okay to misbehave on the ice? The fact is that there are a lot of players, officials, etc. in the NHL, who exude class and professionalism on and off the ice, and a relatively small number who do not. Overall though, I think NHL players "behave" better than athletes in the NBA, MLB and NFL, but the likes of Pronger, Avery, etc. do nothing for the reputation of "our game."

It's got nothing to do with a solitary example of picking up a game puck like Pronger did. It's the way these players have conducted themselves throughout their hockey careers. Some players (and people) have class, and some do not. Pointing this out does not reflect some holier than thou attitude, just the fact that certain players are either cheap-shot artists or idiots on the ice. (And sometimes off the ice too!)

If you talk to the vast majority of people in the game (players, coaches, officials, etc.), they have no time or respect for players who act up the way Pronger, Avery, etc. often do. And most fans feel the same way. Sure, many people find the antics of Pronger, Avery, etc. entertaining, just like an episode of Jerry Springer is entertaining to many people, but I think (and it's only my opinion) that we would be better off without players like that in the game.

What do you work for the media? Blowing s!@# like this way outta proportion? He took the game puck, good job. Why are you questioning him saying he was gonna keep the puck, he has played tons of games in the NHL, international etc., do you really think a puck where his team got shut out 3-0 means anything to him?

Also, "players like this should not be in the game"? By that you mean world class athletes who give it their all night in and out to entertain people and in some cases like Pronger giving people in his country pride by helping to win Canada a gold medal in the Olympics? Give your head a shake, its people like you who b!@#$ and complain about everything that players do in this league, when really they are just people like you and me that should be embarassed to call yourself a hockey fan.
Utemin Posted - 11/17/2010 : 19:01:59
quote:
Originally posted by sahis34

Pronger is nowhere near as bad as avery.

Go OILERS Go!!!

thats a different page.
Pronger is a nice guy, just because he can get under peoples skin and is tough on the ice doesn't mean he is like that in real life. Even if he kept the puck do you really give a about it

The Monkey is me
sahis34 Posted - 11/17/2010 : 16:06:08
Pronger is nowhere near as bad as avery.

Go OILERS Go!!!
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 11/17/2010 : 15:48:20
quote:

After the Canadien's most recent 3-0 shutout victory over the Flyers, Chris Pronger took it upon himself to scoop up the game puck. This is something he did in Chicago after the first two games of the the Flyers-Blackhawks playoff series, and to the chagrin of Blackhawks players and fans alike.

Pronger didn't keep the puck after the Montreal game though. Canadiens captain Brian Gionta and his teammate Scott Gomez confronted Pronger, who ended up handing the puck over to the two Habs players.

Pronger downplayed his intentions afterwards, stating with a smirk that "I was going to give it to a precious kid in the stands. I guess I didn't get the opportunity." Yeah right Chris!

As it turned out, Gionta and Gomez gave the puck to Price, who in turn, tossed it to a child in the stands.

This is not the biggest hockey story of the week, but in a week which includes the antics of Sean Avery, it's just another example of a player few fans (and fellow NHL players) have a lot of respect for. Thankfully, players like Avery, Pronger, Burrows, etc. are the exception to how most NHL players behave on and off the ice.

Nice copy/paste from NHL.com....

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Guest4178 Posted - 11/17/2010 : 15:39:21
Assuming you're correct (that these players do more for their communities than I do, or ever will), so what?

Saddam Hussein murdered tens of thousands of people, but in his own way, I'm sure he had a charitable side! Sure, this is a gross exaggeration to prove a point, but just because Pronger or Avery do charitable work (which is often a requirement of their employment, or on the advice of their agents or business managers, and oftentimes, to promote their image or reputation), this does not make them respectful people (or players).

That's great that Avery has your respect – you're a very forgiving and understanding person. Just wondering though – if you respect Avery, Pronger and the like, who don't you respect? Just because every NHL player donates some time and money on the side, is it okay to misbehave on the ice? The fact is that there are a lot of players, officials, etc. in the NHL, who exude class and professionalism on and off the ice, and a relatively small number who do not. Overall though, I think NHL players "behave" better than athletes in the NBA, MLB and NFL, but the likes of Pronger, Avery, etc. do nothing for the reputation of "our game."

It's got nothing to do with a solitary example of picking up a game puck like Pronger did. It's the way these players have conducted themselves throughout their hockey careers. Some players (and people) have class, and some do not. Pointing this out does not reflect some holier than thou attitude, just the fact that certain players are either cheap-shot artists or idiots on the ice. (And sometimes off the ice too!)

If you talk to the vast majority of people in the game (players, coaches, officials, etc.), they have no time or respect for players who act up the way Pronger, Avery, etc. often do. And most fans feel the same way. Sure, many people find the antics of Pronger, Avery, etc. entertaining, just like an episode of Jerry Springer is entertaining to many people, but I think (and it's only my opinion) that we would be better off without players like that in the game.
Guest4803 Posted - 11/17/2010 : 14:02:24
quote:

Who are you? Mother Theresa?
On the ice i can see how you might not respect a sean avery type player but off ice these players have still done more charity work to help the people in their communities then i doubt you ever will...so they still have my respect. Pronger picked up a puck when the game had already ended...big deal.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page