Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Staal hit on Stajan

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest8605 Posted - 11/24/2010 : 12:23:11
Does anybody think Marc Staal should have been suspended?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfS4xpSjwm4

Reminds me of the Thornton hit.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Utemin Posted - 11/27/2010 : 18:31:28
Clean, Stalls hand did hit Stajan's head after the hit but that is not worthy of suspension. Stajan didn't keep his head up and got punished for it. Proves how important it is to keep your head up in hockey.

The Monkey is me
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 11/25/2010 : 18:52:29
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8605

Elvis,

The major difference between this hit and the Thornton hit is that Thornton was getting out of the penalty box. Both were shoulders to the head (IMO). So is it the fact that Thornton was getting out of the penalty box, making harder for Perron to get out of the way, that makes it illegal?

Let's excuse the Staal hit for a second, and forget that Perron essentially did run in to Thornton, due to the fact he just stepped out of the penalty box, and get to what you are saying.

If Thornton has his elbow up and catches Perron is it elbowing? If Thornton stands there with his stick in front of him, is it crosschecking? If Thornton sticks his leg out is it tripping? intent to injure?, I think you see where I am going with that.

Thornton instead, threw his shoulder in to Perron's head.

No comparison to the Staal hit...none.
Alex116 Posted - 11/25/2010 : 12:35:13
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

The hit on Stajan was perfectly clean - right into the chest and within a reasonable timeframe. It was a thing of beauty in fact. Sadly though, Stajan was admiring his pass. And because of the major neck and head snapping Stajan is going to be out for a while...our he should be anyway.

Well said leigh.....

What i don't like is all this north / south and east / west talk. Are we getting to the point that a guy can only hit a guy ABSOLUTELY STRAIGHT ON?
leigh Posted - 11/25/2010 : 11:13:54
The hit on Stajan was perfectly clean - right into the chest and within a reasonable timeframe. It was a thing of beauty in fact. Sadly though, Stajan was admiring his pass. And because of the major neck and head snapping Stajan is going to be out for a while...our he should be anyway.
Beans15 Posted - 11/25/2010 : 10:38:40
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8605

Elvis,

The major difference between this hit and the Thornton hit is that Thornton was getting out of the penalty box. Both were shoulders to the head (IMO). So is it the fact that Thornton was getting out of the penalty box, making harder for Perron to get out of the way, that makes it illegal?

Your opinion and my eyes are telling me two different things. At no time through the Staal hit did anything (shoulder, elbow, knee, kitchen sink) hit Stajan's head.

That is where the major difference lies. The other difference is in that although the Staal hit was not straight north/south, it was more north/south than it was east/west. Staal hit Stajan square in the chest with his shoulder. Pretty impossible to do laterally isn't it?
Guest8605 Posted - 11/25/2010 : 09:57:52
Elvis,

fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 11/24/2010 : 21:51:27
quote:
Originally posted by bananas

I agree that this was a clean hit, but to me it looks like his shoulder hits his head. Any one who says this is pure north south is blind. At the start of the video Staal is next the the close boards and Stajan is in the middle of the ice. Because he comes in from the side, and the way I see it, it is a hit to the head, to me its the same as the thornton hit.

Whoever says this is the same as the Thornton hit is blind.
This is in no way like the Thornton hit, different circumstances completely, Joe just stepped out of the penalty box and powned Perron, illegally, as the decision made, said.

Staal executed a perfectly timed bodycheck, with his upper body being what Stajan's face ran in to. No shoulder makes contact with the head. None.

Thornton's hit is all shoulder, regardless of the nonsensical phantom concussion theory another poster tried so hard to perplex us with.

This is a clean hit, albeit with malice, which as I've stated many times is an accepted and at times, necessary part of the game. It is hits like these being allowed to be still legal, that will keep the contact in the game, player's don't have to stop throwing big hits, they just have to be smarter and more proficient at it.

I like to think the players are starting to get it, and we can once again enjoy a good hard check, hopefully with better results from the checkee, and keep the physicalities that are a glorious part of the game, around.

Now if they can just find some way to stop those stupid fights after a clean hit, those demean the game more than a lot of things, and yet they continue.

Example;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vC_KNqT_74

Now that's silliness, beautiful hip-check, and then you have to tussle with Jamal Mayers.....ugh
bananas Posted - 11/24/2010 : 20:43:54
I agree that this was a clean hit, but to me it looks like his shoulder hits his head. Any one who says this is pure north south is blind. At the start of the video Staal is next the the close boards and Stajan is in the middle of the ice. Because he comes in from the side, and the way I see it, it is a hit to the head, to me its the same as the thornton hit.
nuxfan Posted - 11/24/2010 : 13:59:34
ah no Beans, the hit from Thornton was actually a hit to the shoulder first, then to the throat when Perron threw his head back to embellish the hit, then to the side of the cheek and the earlobe. I have heard that this is the only sort of non-headshot that can result in a concussion, so I'm not surprised that Perron has that injury...

Yah, this is just a good clean check from Staal. Probably the most devastating I've seen this year.
n/a Posted - 11/24/2010 : 13:57:44
If someone calls this a borderline hit, I could understand it . . . but beyond that, looks pretty clean to me. It's a hockey play on a guy coming into his zone over the blueline . . . reminds me of a Stevens hit.

Keep yer head up Stajan - as if you need reminding of that now!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Beans15 Posted - 11/24/2010 : 13:48:35
I wouldn't say this was pure north/south but is was far closer to north/south than it was east/west.

The piece that makes this hit far different than the Thornton hit(or others that have been suspended) was that the point of contact was not the head.

No suspension, penalty, fine, or otherwise. As stated, this is a perfect example of the puck carrier with their head down and the agressive defensemen removing the player from the puck. It's called a body check. Angry and ill-tempered but no intent to injure and definitely not illegal.

It's also interesting to note that Staal is 6'4" and Stajan is 6'1". An example of one player bigger than the other than did not strike the head 'naturally'. Considering Thornton 6'4" and David Perron is 6'0", the difference in insignificant in the player's size but the hits are clearly very different.

(Not to get off topic, but Perron still had not played. He has been out since Nov 4th with a concussion. Pretty surprising, considering the hit layed by Thornton was a direct shot to the throat and Perron threw his head back to embellish the penalty.)
Pasty7 Posted - 11/24/2010 : 13:36:13
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

You never want to see a player get hurt, but if there is to a text book example of what a clean, hard hit looks like that is still in the confines of the rules today, this may be it.

Perfect timing, perfect body positioning, perfect contact(Staal's shoulder not on the head, he's past the head and the contact was almost his shoulder blades in to the chest head of Stajan).

Definitely a game changer, and legal.

Speedy recovery for Stajan, and KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!!!

PS. The Thorton hit was a completely different circumstance, Joe had just stepped out of the penalty box, no chance for Perron to see him, and Joe hit him shoulder to head, when he had many other options available, no comparison, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m55RtBUyKcA

not to mention this was clearly north south ....

Pasty
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 11/24/2010 : 13:26:02
You never want to see a player get hurt, but if there is to a text book example of what a clean, hard hit looks like that is still in the confines of the rules today, this may be it.

Perfect timing, perfect body positioning, perfect contact(Staal's shoulder not on the head, he's past the head and the contact was almost his shoulder blades in to the chest head of Stajan).

Definitely a game changer, and legal.

Speedy recovery for Stajan, and KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!!!

PS. The Thorton hit was a completely different circumstance, Joe had just stepped out of the penalty box, no chance for Perron to see him, and Joe hit him shoulder to head, when he had many other options available, no comparison, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m55RtBUyKcA
Pasty7 Posted - 11/24/2010 : 13:21:31
No way, its always to bad to see a guy go down like that but that is a clean hard hit. That is hockey

Pasty

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page