Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 The Leafs - Why?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sahis34 Posted - 12/02/2010 : 18:53:11
Why do the leafs suck

Go OILERS Go!!!
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 12/08/2010 : 08:28:24
Yeah, it's a funny league these days, with the Leafs beating first Boston then Washington. To beat Pittsburgh when they are rolling would be another big upset, but possible. And yet, I still have a bad taste in my mouth from those three losses to poor teams . . . like I said, will take a few more wins (ok, just two more now) to make me feel better about those points going to waste.

Because losing to teams like Buffalo and Ottawa . . . those are 4 point games. Two points up on our direct opposition, two points more in the standings. To counterract those missed opportunities, you need more than just two wins against top teams to balance the ledger.

Hopefully Phaneuf is back and gives the team a further boost, as Armstrong has already. Hopefully Wilson sits Komisarek finally - if there is a starter more deserving of being sat for a game to put things in perspective, I don't know of him. Hopefully Gustavsson plays another decent game. Hopefully Kessel finds the back of the net again, maybe even twice. Hopefully MacArthur can continue his dream comeback season with his strong play.

I hope, I hope, I hope.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Pasty7 Posted - 12/07/2010 : 16:02:57
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Leafs played a pretty decent game RC, nothing amazing or anthing. Their comeback was hard earned, they played great in the later stages of the game. Washington had a couple of great scoring chances late ( @ 4-1 ) but The monster came up big on both of them, a cross-bar on one i think.

With some luck the leafs could have had 2 or 3 instead of the 1 when it was at 4 - 1. Toronto`s powerplay was horrible again, brutal. Maybe if they started Grab- Kul- Mcarth- first unit ( their true first line, or as close as they have to one ) they might score some PP goals.

Whats up with M.Komisarek ?? Was he always that bad ?? Any comment Pasty, ( being a habs fan ) did he always play like this in Montreal ?? If he was always this horrible, how in the name of god did he get that much $$$. His defense is terrible, he handles the puck like a football and has no idea what to do with it. Did he ever get any points ?

Well Duke I always liked Komisarek in Montreal the year before his contract year was really his coming out party a lot of people say it was Markov that made him look that good i for one truly do not believe that. He can be one of the most effective shut down d men in the league when he is playing confident. I know i have seen it first hand he has been truly a top defender in the league in the past. Then in his contract year with montreal he got hurt fighting with Lucic and it was like an off switch went off and he lost all of what he has gained. He can skate extremly well for a big man, he used to block more shots then a goalie. He used to hit hard and be punishing infront of the net and well now its like he is trying to hard to prove he is worth his contract. I truly do not believe it is one of sign the big contract then slack off.... i think he is really trying and well just way to hard, his game is at its best when he keeps it simple, his first pass sucks his job is to shut down and get the puck out, chip it up the boards and just get the puck out, he trying to do much, he s got to go back to his game

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
The Duke Posted - 12/07/2010 : 15:47:37
Leafs played a pretty decent game RC, nothing amazing or anthing. Their comeback was hard earned, they played great in the later stages of the game. Washington had a couple of great scoring chances late ( @ 4-1 ) but The monster came up big on both of them, a cross-bar on one i think.

With some luck the leafs could have had 2 or 3 instead of the 1 when it was at 4 - 1. Toronto`s powerplay was horrible again, brutal. Maybe if they started Grab- Kul- Mcarth- first unit ( their true first line, or as close as they have to one ) they might score some PP goals.

Whats up with M.Komisarek ?? Was he always that bad ?? Any comment Pasty, ( being a habs fan ) did he always play like this in Montreal ?? If he was always this horrible, how in the name of god did he get that much $$$. His defense is terrible, he handles the puck like a football and has no idea what to do with it. Did he ever get any points ?
Pasty7 Posted - 12/06/2010 : 22:42:35
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I would vehemently dispute any conspiracy theory towards the Leafs getting PP's to end games. I can say they have played more tenaciously in the final minutes of games they have been trailing by a goal or two so it is just logic that the other team will take more PIMS against the more aggressive plays.

It is interesting to note that 4 of their 9 games have come with late/come from behind performances.

It's also interesting that when TO plays this way they are criticized for his while if Montreal plays like this they are 'the real deal."

* Disclaimer - I no way do I support the Leafs and I do think that Montreal is the real deal. I just couldn't help but point out the double standard.

uhh beans correct me if i'm wrong .. the habs are usually leading after 2 periods and havn't had any come from behind wins in the final minutes of play that i can remember this season,,? This steam is scoring first then laying back and protecting Carey? I think their may have been 1 game against Buffalo early on where the habs were trailing in the third and came back to win?

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
TheRC Posted - 12/06/2010 : 19:04:51
I checked the score of tonight's Leaf game before I left work: 4-1 Washington in the 3rd. By the time I got home, had something to eat and settled in for the evening, that had turned in to a 5-4 SO win. Unexpected, to say the least.

Anybody watch this game? Care to comment on how they played? Was the recovery hard earned or a bit of a fluke?

"If at first you don't succeed, you fail"
Beans15 Posted - 12/06/2010 : 15:13:04
I would vehemently dispute any conspiracy theory towards the Leafs getting PP's to end games. I can say they have played more tenaciously in the final minutes of games they have been trailing by a goal or two so it is just logic that the other team will take more PIMS against the more aggressive plays.

It is interesting to note that 4 of their 9 games have come with late/come from behind performances.

It's also interesting that when TO plays this way they are criticized for his while if Montreal plays like this they are 'the real deal."

* Disclaimer - I no way do I support the Leafs and I do think that Montreal is the real deal. I just couldn't help but point out the double standard.
The Duke Posted - 12/06/2010 : 14:09:54
Guest 7752, you just pointed out some negatives, any1 can do that. I can remember 2 disallowed goals which cost the leafs 2 wins...both cases were very, very borderline...ecpecially the one against TB which their late period goal would not have sent the game into OT.

Toronto just cannot score on a regular basis...scoring breathes confidience which leads to wins.

Toxx, teams play diffrent againist other teams. My view of Sat`s game was Boston aren`t very speedy, i know they`ve got a good hockey team but overall team speed is certainly not their strong point, goaltending certainly is.
ToXXiK1 Posted - 12/06/2010 : 09:08:18
Conspiracy is a strong word. All teams get bounces, I mean all teams and all teams seem to go through patches where it seems all the calls are against them. It's more of a fan perception than conspiracy. To say the Leafs only won those 4 games because of a "questionable" call is ludicris. There's a whole game played before and after said call.
Alex116 Posted - 12/06/2010 : 08:12:32
7752.....i think i know what you mean, but it almost sounds like you're saying there's some slight "conspiracy" here to help the Leafs? I haven't seen all the games and the penalties you speak of, but i have to assume it's more of a case of their opponents taking penalties at bad times than it is the ref's "helping" them out? Were the penalty calls good ones is what i'd have to ask i guess?

However, i do agree, the Leafs are "crap". Maybe not the best word to describe them, but it works.
Guest7752 Posted - 12/06/2010 : 07:12:20
quote:

What is it with the leafs ?? If some-one didn`t follow hockey and watched the Tor / Bos game last night they would think that the leafs were a legitimate stanley cup contender, one of the best games i`ve seen all year.

If not for Tim Thomas, Toronto would have blown them out of the water. How can a 28 th place team totally dominate a team who is so high in the standings ??

The leafs are so inconsistent. Although no Crosby in their locker room, there can be no doubt after last nights game that there is something in their line up. Coaching ??....is this the reason for their constant inconsistent play ??...something is going on with this team, what it is i`m not sure.

Is it the Leafs "great" play?
Or is it more of competition's lack of interst that make leafs look good...??
Or is it a little help from the refs???

Here's why i say that.
The leafs have (9) wins so far.
In FOUR (4) of the NINE (9) wins, the Leafs had:
- PowerPlay in O.T. to win One (their fourth stright win to start the season)
- PowerPlay in late 3rd period to win Two (18 Nov & 4 Dec)
- FOUR straight PowerPlays to win One (16 Nov)
Even had another oportunity with PowerPlay in late 3rd period, but lost it in O.T. (their first loss of the season)

Let's just say they ARE indeed getting "some" help, and if not for this help - they would not even have the nine wins.

So when people say what's going on with inconsistency with the Leafs... it does not make sense.
They are crap, and need help to win, or win when competition does not show up.
Guest7752 Posted - 12/06/2010 : 06:59:56
quote:

What is it with the leafs ?? If some-one didn`t follow hockey and watched the Tor / Bos game last night they would think that the leafs were a legitimate stanley cup contender, one of the best games i`ve seen all year.

If not for Tim Thomas, Toronto would have blown them out of the water. How can a 28 th place team totally dominate a team who is so high in the standings ??

The leafs are so inconsistent. Although no Crosby in their locker room, there can be no doubt after last nights game that there is something in their line up. Coaching ??....is this the reason for their constant inconsistent play ??...something is going on with this team, what it is i`m not sure.

ToXXiK1 Posted - 12/06/2010 : 06:31:40
[quote]Originally posted by The Duke

Guys i didn`t actually mean the leafs are a stanley cup contender by no stretch of the imagination....i meant for 1 night they looked like one. The previous several games they looked like an east coast hockey league team.

This is why i question the difference ?? What is going on ??
If anyone thinks for 1 minute that Boston is going to slack on the leafs or give them some sort of break, ( take it easy on them ) You are NUTS. The bruins hate the leafs and would have pounded the piss out of them sat. night, IF THEY COULD HAVE...but they certainly could not.

Whoa whoa big fella,
IF THEY COULD HAVE? the B's had an off night, much like the Leafs have as well. If you're saying they're a better team, thne it should show in the standings, Granted the Leafs played well, but only because Boston couldn't be bothered to show up, let's keep it in perspective.

Pasty7 Posted - 12/06/2010 : 05:34:03
I think Any team can beat any team on any given night in the NHL. The Leafs deffinetly played a great game last night but the difference between a playoff team and lottery pick team is ConsistencY, that same consstency the Leafs cannot sustain this year, I have watched the Leafs play a lot this year i find them quite entertaining to watch this year and on some nights they are the better team on the ice. The problem is they are simply not complete enough through the roster to compete night in and night out with the same level of competition as they did against boston the other night,, because good teams have players to pick up their better players slack on a night where their better players struggle the Leafs need their best players to be their best players night in night out or else they don't win that simple!

"In 1962 I was named Minor League Player of the Year. It was my second season in the bigs." - Bob Uecker

The Duke Posted - 12/05/2010 : 18:06:52
Guys i didn`t actually mean the leafs are a stanley cup contender by no stretch of the imagination....i meant for 1 night they looked like one. The previous several games they looked like an east coast hockey league team.

This is why i question the difference ?? What is going on ??
If anyone thinks for 1 minute that Boston is going to slack on the leafs or give them some sort of break, ( take it easy on them ) You are NUTS. The bruins hate the leafs and would have pounded the piss out of them sat. night, IF THEY COULD HAVE...but they certainly could not.

We will see what happens this week...lets see how the next several games go. Toronto will play most NHL top teams this week, lets see how they respond.
n/a Posted - 12/05/2010 : 10:10:37
Yeah, I totally agree with the RC - bit of both. Leafs played pretty well last night, but without much finish. On chances, they should have won in regulation 3 or 4 to 2 . . . but whether it was Thomas making two absolutely astounding saves, or the Leafs missing an open net, it didn't happen that way. If things are going the Leafs way or Thomas doesn't make a couple of those amazing saves, it's 5-2.

I know it can't all be hot goalies coming in against the Leafs, and I do realise their offense is ailing terribly right now. But Thomas did play absolutely excellent, and his defence - one of the best in the league overall, I'd say - played very so-so.

Definitely something to build on, but it'll take a few more wins to wash out the bad taste of those losses to Buffalo, Ottawa and the Oilers.

Armstrong was back in the lineup and looked great - he is a very solid checker, really like him. Can't wait for Phaneuf to get back, it will provide a much needed mental boost as well as a defensive one hopefully.

TheRC Posted - 12/05/2010 : 09:25:23
I'd say it was a little bit of both. The Bruins did not play their best game, but last night was also one of the better Leaf games I've seen since the very start of the season. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was Cup contender material, but at least playoff team hockey.

The scary thing is that the Leafs still almost lost. There have been a half dozen games so far this season where the team has played well enough to win but been shut down by a hot goaltender, or lost a close game on a few unlucky bounces or a single bad turnover. If those had have gone the other way, they would be sitting in a playoff spot right now.

Don't take that to mean I think this is a good team that has been unlucky, rather the opposite. The difference between good teams and bad teams is being able to survive when things don't go your way, and capitalizing when the other team makes mistakes. The Leafs have not been able to do either consistently.

nuxfan Posted - 12/05/2010 : 09:06:28
actually, I guess you should get excited by that win - there are so few to get excited about
nuxfan Posted - 12/05/2010 : 09:05:51
yah Duke, I have to say, I saw a lot of that game, and it looked like BOS played poorly, rather than TOR playing well. A lot of that first period and second period were played in the TOR end, but BOS didn't have much finish. Thomas played very well, and so did JS. A late-game PP for TOR makes all the difference. Don't get excited by that win.
Beans15 Posted - 12/05/2010 : 08:06:51
quote:

Did the Leafs play well or did Boston play poorly?? I too watch the game and I would say it was more about the later. Sure, the Leafs took advantage of the opportunity in front of them but Boston really played poorly. I have never watched a Boston game where they missed more passes.

TO did deserve to win the game, no doubt. But they still needed to come from behind and scramble in the last minutes just to get it into OT.

The shoot out is a crap shoot on the best nights.

Stanley Cup contender??? Not at all. I still watched a team that is right where they should be in the standings.
The Duke Posted - 12/05/2010 : 07:58:20

The Duke Posted - 12/04/2010 : 14:44:40
Brian Burke tried to quick fix the leafs and apparently it isn`t working. The man even said he isn`t interested in a long term 4 - 5 year re-build. Leafs upper brass knew full well of Brian Burkes intentions because it was made public by him. They gave him full reign to do what he wanted and they got what they have.

Regarding the Phil Kessel trade...I truely believe that Burke had no idea that the leafs would have such a lousy season as they had. If the leafs would have finished between 12 - 18 over-all no-one would even question this trade. Its unfair to say it was a lousy trade at THE TIME he made it...if he knew the leafs were to finish 29 th , of course he wouldn`t have made this trade...who would ?

I don`t know what to think of Ron Wilson other than the fact he comes off looking like an a$$. I know if i had to work under such an individual as he seems to be i wouldn`d be a very happy employee and i would definitely not perform...how could you ? He holds a record of leading 2 diffrent teams to 30 th in the league ( dead last ) in both PP and PK, something must be up here. I know these teams may not have been great but we have had numerous expansion teams over the years who did not even do this, something is definitely wrong here.

The leafs started off great but since then whatever happened, for what-ever reason, Ron Wilson has lost total control over his team. I watch all the leaf games via satelite ( poor me heh ) and the leafs look like a team to me who are afraid to play the way they want to because of back-lash from their coach. If your constantly afaid of making mistakes, with dire consquences, when the bosses eyes are upon you...YOU WILL NOT PERFORM AT YOUR BEST...no way.

If the leafs ever do fire Ron Wilson i hope they will go to the AHL and find a young open minded, hockey smart coach who will bring some new ideas and unity to the leafs. Some one who can connect with the younger players and bring them along, instead of bringing in some other old school coach again.
Pasty7 Posted - 12/04/2010 : 11:19:25
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

Pasty - I don't recall the last time that a team traded 9 players from their opening-day roster in midseason. That would be something to see.

The problem I see with most of your proposed trades is - what do the Leafs reasonably expect back? Other than Kaberle and maybe Grabovski, the players you have mentioned are known bit parts (MacArther, Orr), role players best suited to other roles (Armstrong, Versteeg), dmen who may be good but are at a current low value, or a has-been goalie with his best years behind him. They won't bring much trade value back in return, certainly nothing to build a team around. I think you're dreaming if you think any of the players you mention (other than Kaberle or maybe Grabo) bring in second or first round draft picks next year. The 2011 draft is anticipated to be pretty deep, teams are hanging onto those picks.

If Dominc moore is worth a second round pick especially as a rental that means these guys under contract are at least worth that in my opinion and you're right it is grim,,, but you have to start somewhere and this is the leafs only option to build long term success!

"In 1962 I was named Minor League Player of the Year. It was my second season in the bigs." - Bob Uecker

nuxfan Posted - 12/04/2010 : 11:16:01
Pasty - I don't recall the last time that a team traded 9 players from their opening-day roster in midseason. That would be something to see.

The problem I see with most of your proposed trades is - what do the Leafs reasonably expect back? Other than Kaberle and maybe Grabovski, the players you have mentioned are known bit parts (MacArther, Orr), role players best suited to other roles (Armstrong, Versteeg), dmen who may be good but are at a current low value, or a has-been goalie with his best years behind him. They won't bring much trade value back in return, certainly nothing to build a team around. I think you're dreaming if you think any of the players you mention (other than Kaberle or maybe Grabo) bring in second or first round draft picks next year. The 2011 draft is anticipated to be pretty deep, teams are hanging onto those picks.
Pasty7 Posted - 12/04/2010 : 01:48:08
Ok here is what i would do if i were the leafs GM if by the midway point of the season the Leafs are still sitting in 28th or there abouts.

1. Trade Francois Beauchemin: Now i would argue he has been the Leafs Best Defenseman next to Kaberle, and on a better team he would look a lot better aswell try and get a good minor league prospect and maybe a 2nd round pick for him, he is under a fairly good contract for one more year, lets face it he is one of the leafs better players but in a year he is worth less in a trade and next year lets face it will the Leaf's really be that much better? better get something for him now!

2. Trade Tomas Kaberle, I know they have tried but lets stop being picky about his worth everyday he plays for the leaf's his value goes down. Why because other teams know he is available july 1rst because every team knows he is not re signing with the leafs! Trade him now take a late first round pick from a Contender and a weak prospect its better than loseing him for nothing. A team like the Blue Jackets who have no choice but to win this year to keep their fan base may give up their first round pick because a guy like Kaberle they desperatly need!

3. Trade Giguere, he is by far the Leafs best player sure his numbers are not great but lets face it the only area the Leafs have imporved on from last year is goals against and thats because this guy is a good goalie. Obviously the Leafs are not going to get a blue chip prospect for this guy but if a contender is worried about their Goaltending a proven playoff warrior is worth at least a second round pick and a decent prospect.

4. If anyone will take Komisarek for anything... do it!

5. Trade Clark McCarthur, his value is at an all time high, his cap hit is tiny he is a RFA next year, In my opinion he is playing over his head a contender needing to fill out their third line with a little more scoring and add some depth to their top six will give a second round pick for this guy, and thats what the leafs need DRAFT PICKS!!!

6. For the right price Make guys like Armstrong and Versteeg available, these guys are good players signed to fairly good contracts but get good prospect with as much potential and picks for them and draft well and develop these players. but again only if the price is right for these guys if not keep em they are good players to build around!

7. Grabovski is at least worht a 2nd round pick go get one for him!

8.Colton Orr is worth a late round pick take it for him!

A lot of players picked in the second round go on to be very very good NHLers think Mike Cammalleri, Paul Statsny , Patrick Sharp, Put as much money and ressources as you can into amatur scouting and go find these second rounders who turn into very good top 6 players! if you trade these guys away the leafs could be picking 6 times in the second round, and at least get a 1rst round pick this year.

Then send Kadri back down, not because he is playing bad but so his entry level contract doesn't kick in for another year, and then wait it out build a good strong team through the system and draft picks, the days of buying a team are over and trades well their is a reason a player is traded so the player you're getting more often than not is not everything you had hoped for!

If the leafs do not do this then sure maybe next year they can sign another impact player (not more than one they don't have that much cap room) is that really going to make this team a true contender? no it may boost them up to a team fighting for a playoff spot but all that means is lower draft picks and years and years of medicore!

Yewcandoit Posted - 12/03/2010 : 20:04:03
Part of the reason why leafs suck:

http://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2010/12/visual_proof_that_the_toronto_maple_leafs_suck_/
doublechamp7 Posted - 12/03/2010 : 15:35:56
That trade for Kessel in my opinion was a massive mistake. If they are in a very low spot this year ( which I think will happen) they could have been in position to not only get Tyler Seguin last year, but this year they could have gotten Coutourier, Nugent-Hopkins or another top prospect. That is what may have screwed them over for a couple of years
Guest0767 Posted - 12/03/2010 : 14:45:21
One last note after 24 games

2009-10
6 - 11 - 7 for 19 pts

2010-11

8 - 12 - 4 for 20 pts

That's not like the 1 pt they needed a few years back to get in the playoffs.

Alrighty... thoroughly depressed myself...
Guest0767 Posted - 12/03/2010 : 14:28:09
This year (to date) vs Last year:

28th vs 29th in the league
PP is 22nd vs 30th
PK is 29th vs 30th
Goals for 29th vs 25th
Goals against 17th vs 29th
4th fewest PIMs and majors vs 12th/10th fewest PIMs and majors (very beligerent team indeed)
Hits is 10th vs 16th
Blockes 9th vs 7th
Giveaways 1st (worst) vs 9th
Takeaways 17th vs 13th
Faceoff % 12th vs 11th

So yes there has some defensive improvements, but the offence is worse and the result basically the same (so far).

The leafs are hitting more by they're also giving more pucks away, not taking away as many pucks, losing more faceoffs, fighting less, blocking less and scoring less.

Without our goaltending and slightly better defence we'd likely be dead last. There is an element of 1 step forward 2 steps back here.

If the Leafs improve this steadily we'll be contending for a cup in about 25 years.
doublechamp7 Posted - 12/03/2010 : 13:54:07
They could be better than they are. They are definetly showing improvement from last year, but they're not getting the breaks.
TheRC Posted - 12/03/2010 : 13:52:31
In answer to Guest's question, management is as good an answer as any.

Ballard was a stingy old bastard with a knack for running talent out of town. By the 1990's when the team had management willing to spend a bit more, that's exactly what they did. Hockey, unfortunantly for Toronto, is not like baseball. Injuries take a bigger toll, and fewer guys play at an elite level into their 30's. The Yankees have bought dynasties. The Leafs tried to do the same in the 90's, (admittedly not outspending every other team in the league by the same insane margin) but ended up spending their money on a lot of guys well past their prime. The result? Good but not great teams, and they never bothered to develop their own talent through the draft, like most other successful NHL teams.

The salary cap put the screws to that plan anyway, and the history of buying rather than developing players screwed the Leafs hard. Before the lockout they were at least a playoff team... Since? You get the picture. And the worse the team gets, the greater the pressure on management to do something, anything, as soon as possible.That means trading draft picks and continuing to suck.

In Burke's position I *may* have made the deal for Kessel too, I must admit, but it's become pretty obvious that what should be about year 3 of a 4 or 5 year team rebuild is a pretty big flop. They do have a young group which should be getting better, and enough cap space next year to work a big trade or try and sign a big-name free agent, but how much of a difference will one guy make? It'll likely be a few years of sucking yet before things have a chance of turning around.

Guest4178 Posted - 12/03/2010 : 10:25:41
Everyone knows that the Leafs have not won a cup since 1967, or to put it more critically, the last season where the Leafs had only five other opponents in the league! In addition, the Leafs have not been to the Stanley Cup Finals since 1967.

They've always had the dough to finance a competitive team, and despite some comments to the contrary, I actually think they have great fans. (And all over the country too.) Their best fans are probably the ones who only catch a game or two live, and not the fickle fans (mostly corporate) who are season ticket holders.

When looking at the success of a team, you have to start at the top, and that's the GM position. Since 1967, Toronto's GMs have included: Punch Imlach, Jim Gregory, Gerry McNamara, Cliff Fletcher, Ken Dryden, Pat Quinn, John Ferguson Jr., and Brian Burke. There are some pretty good hockey minds in this group, some who have achieved success elsewhere (Cliff Fletcher and Brian Burke as examples), but they haven't done it with Toronto.

The question I pose is why isn't Toronto a better team, and why haven't they done better in league with more than six teams?

Beans15 Posted - 12/03/2010 : 09:02:52
Congrats Slozo. Happy to hear of a new Leaf Fan in the world. I would have like to rub last night in a little more but I think I will leave it for now. The story will be sad enough when your son asks you about the day he was born and you have to tell him a team you said had a gross offense beat the Leafs by 5!!!

Why do the Leafs suck is a really simple answer. Brian Burke.

Done.

Last night really was a great night for contrast. On one side of the ice you had a team who had an identity crisis and made the decision to fix it with youth through the draft. On the other side of the ice you had a team with an identity definition established by Brian Burke who made the decision to fix the team by throwing away their draft picks and finding big players.

I wonder who will be successful first???

Biggest problem with the Leafs, Brian Burke. He has been a horrible GM for years but gets all the credit for teams he takes over from others. He ruined that team and it will take 5+ years to fix it because of the lack of draft picks. Burke stands behind a coach who is simply not effective with the group of players they have and he also handcuffed the team by signing 3 defensemen for more money than they are worth. I put 100% of the blame on him. Sure, the players have to execute on the game plan but you also need talented players to do that.

nuxfan Posted - 12/03/2010 : 08:43:00
congrats on the birth of your wee one Slozo - do him a favour early, don't make him cheer for the leafs... he'll thank you later
ToXXiK1 Posted - 12/03/2010 : 06:23:54
Oh, and CONGRATZ to you Slozo !
ToXXiK1 Posted - 12/03/2010 : 06:23:08
There's an old saying, "You can't fire the team". Well, that's exactly what the Leafs did. There's only Kabs, Grabovski & the Monster left from last year. So, now, YOU HAVE to fire the coach.
Say what you want about Wilson, but, he couldn't get it done in SJ with a star studded team and he's failing miserably in T.O.
I don't want to hear he has nothing to work with. Kabs, Phaneuf, Kessel, Versteeg, Armstrong, Jiggy......etc this team should be 10 times better than last year. Keith Acton, been there through what? 4 coaches? Is running the PP for that length of time. Dead last I think 3 yrs running. Time to face facts that Wilson has lost the room if he ever had it and Acton just has to go.
Burke can protect him only so long before ownership steps in, and I don't know how long they will watch Leaf jersey's being thrown on the ice, the boo's from the crowd and the "Fi - re Wi-ls-on" & "Tha-nk you Kes-sel" chants. Take a chance, bring in Teddy Nolan, he was great with the young kids in Buffalo. Dress a manican behind the bench, anything is better than a coach who takes 0 responsibility and throws his players under the bus EVERY press conference.
Guest0079 Posted - 12/03/2010 : 06:04:20
Toronto just sucks.
That's TORONTO everything...teams, fans, media, everything

They are ALWAYS going to be under the shadow of their BIGGER, BETTER brother.... MONTREAL. !!!!!!

There was always a rivalry between Toronto & Montreal cities, and Toronto just can't win. The more they try, the more they suck at it.

We all knew the Leafs were in for a BAD, BAD year when their home opener had Bower (a Hall of Famer !!!!) left standing alone at mid ice not knowing what the heck was going on...... what a poor city.
Just comparing that to Habs opener (or even Sens, Flames, Oilers, and "Nucks openers).... Toronto just sucks.

Check the Stats:

Kessel- 24 g, 10g / 4a
Versteeg- 23g, 7g / 7a

Hall- 25g, 8g / 6a
Seguin- 25g, 5g / 4a

Almost a wash - So wouldn't you say It would be best to build from the DRAFT, Mr. Burke??? At least the draft leaves you with cap space and a young team to BUILD from... moron

Last night's game proved it all in front of your eyes Toronto.

By the way RC...
The entire world KNEW Kessel would be checked very tight he's the ony bonified goal-scorer on the team, that's why Burke went after as many "goons" as he did... but NO results (probably due to poor coach) so check the "bad coach " for that one?, not bad forwards?
Pasty7 Posted - 12/02/2010 : 21:59:37
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Well said, RC. My thoughts exactly.

I could have gotten tickets and seen the game, but I thought I might be a bit busy with something a wee bit more important - the birth of my son. Turns out my boy saved me from a night of crying, hand-wringing and hard drinking.

The moral of the story:
Skip the Leafs for now, and make babies instead!

Congrats Slozo, and you know something i can see it now 18years from now the NHL entry draft Slozo jr. a hopeful first rounder, sitting their in the stands Slozo Sr. so proud espcially since the experts predict his son to be the 22nd pick overal and low and behold his beloved leafs are picking 22nd, and then out of nowhere Slozo jr's name is called 18th by .... the Montreal Canadians!!!! Son turns to father for congradulatory hug, Father turns and walks out of the arena to curse god!

Alex116 Posted - 12/02/2010 : 21:29:05
Congrats Slozo!

Didn't see any of it, but saw the score, and tonight was definitely a Leafs game you'd have wanted to miss! Lucky for you, timing was perfect!

Hope all is well with the little one and the wife!
n/a Posted - 12/02/2010 : 21:15:48
Well said, RC. My thoughts exactly.

I could have gotten tickets and seen the game, but I thought I might be a bit busy with something a wee bit more important - the birth of my son. Turns out my boy saved me from a night of crying, hand-wringing and hard drinking.

The moral of the story:
Skip the Leafs for now, and make babies instead!

TheRC Posted - 12/02/2010 : 21:09:29
Goaltending is fine this year (for the first time in a long time) so I didn't want to check the "all of the above" box. The rest, well, that's harder to decide...

Not having anybody besides Kessel who can shoot is certainly a big problem. The poor guy is covered so tight he doesn't get half the chances he might on a truly dangerous line (ie. on a good team) and his linemates' strategy of "pass to Phil even if he's just going to get mugged" really isn't working out too well. The combination of Kulemin-Grabovski-whoever (McArthur at the moment) is decent, but they get swarmed too. I've noticed that other teams tend to play their best defensive pair against that line (probably because whichever line Kessel is on is so predictible you don't really need your big guns to shut it down) and they really aren't good enough to break through. The rest of them are hardly worth mentioning. I thought Burke wanted them to play tough (dare I say it) goon hockey, but that doesn't seem to happen. So... forwards suck? Check.

Defense? Harder to judge. There are a few quality shut-down guys at the lower end of the depth chart, but the big names haven't really performed. Komisarek? Useless. Kaberle? Soft in the defensive end. Phaneuf? He was a disaster 4/5ths of the games he played before getting hurt. Beauchemin? I'm undecided. I think he looks worse than he is because he is usally the guy trying (and often failing) to salvage bad situations created when his partner or one of the forwards screws up. Schenn, Aulie and Gunnarson have all played solid games, despite a few rookie mistakes here and there. Defense doesn't suck, but has been playing like it does suck, so... check that one too.

So what's left? Coaching. This is the hard one. I'm wanting to give Ron Wilson some credit. I certainly don't know what I'd do to make such a bad team start winning, and Wilson has tried it all. He doesn't treat anybody like a superstar (certainly a wise strategy considering his team has none) and is willing to experiment to see if anybody breaks out. It's probably not his fault, but then when you see flashes of brilliance here and there, rare though they are, you start to wonder if somebody else may be better equipped to coax a bit more out of this team. Sad thing is, in this stingy salary cap age, replacing the coach is one of the few options at this time of year. I don't think it's entirely fair, but it may well happen if this skid continues. Check the coaching box too.

Sigh. Problem with living in Toronto is that *all* our sports teams suck. It's not like I can just switch to baskeball or something.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page