Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Over-Hyped

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
I HATE CROSBY Posted - 02/21/2007 : 21:10:27
I was watching golf central today, and I was getting annoyed with how much coverage Tiger Woods was getting. then I thought to myself, well, he's won like, over 50 times, it's not as bad as sid. so my question is an all-around sports one: Who is the most over-hyped player in sports (by that, I mean, get more coverage than they truely deserve).

I HATE CROSBY
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beans15 Posted - 11/17/2008 : 14:10:12
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6196

quote:
Originally posted by MSC

The Grey Cup is next week. Where in Canada exactly is there going to be 2 feet of snow and -20 tempetures? There's more of a chance of a North Eastern NFL team hosting the Super Bowl at the end of January playing in -20 and 2 feet of snow then any Canadian city in mid November save Yellowknife or Whitehorse. Is there a magical wall across the great lakes that keeps Detroit, Chicago, etc...warmer then Toronto or Hamilton this time of year?

Semantics. A cold game with snow. This is a mild year but I have been to Grey Cups under those conditions. Hope that is better for you.

Please as a true Canadian don't belittle the CFL or any Canadian game.

Belittling the CFL has nothing to do with being a Canadian. I know many people that don't follow the CFL at all and really don't like it. They are all Canadians.

And I have to completely agree with MSC on this. I would bet a significant sum of money on the Texas High School 5A Football champs against pretty much any CFL team. Think about the fact that there are all but a small handful of players who played in the CFL and then succeeded in the NFL. For the most part, a CFL player is a former NCAA football player who couldn't cut it in the NFL or the arena league.

That might even be a bit of a stretch, but definately a NCAA division One top 25 team would normally beat a CFL team, and the worst NFL team out there would beat a top College team.

The CFL being a bush league (and saying it) has nothing to do with someone being Canadian or not. And to the original comment, for someone who would sit outside and watch any football game in 2 feet of snow and -20 could or could not be Canadain. I have a different name for that person, but I can't use those kinds of words on here.
MSC Posted - 11/17/2008 : 13:34:32
If Canada could field a football team that wasn't a joke then I'd be more then willing to follow it. As it stands now I have serious doubts the Eskimos could handle some American High School teams. Perhaps if the Bills relocate then we'd have a Canadian football team worth watching.
Guest6196 Posted - 11/17/2008 : 11:05:22
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

The Grey Cup is next week. Where in Canada exactly is there going to be 2 feet of snow and -20 tempetures? There's more of a chance of a North Eastern NFL team hosting the Super Bowl at the end of January playing in -20 and 2 feet of snow then any Canadian city in mid November save Yellowknife or Whitehorse. Is there a magical wall across the great lakes that keeps Detroit, Chicago, etc...warmer then Toronto or Hamilton this time of year?

Semantics. A cold game with snow. This is a mild year but I have been to Grey Cups under those conditions. Hope that is better for you.

Please as a true Canadian don't belittle the CFL or any Canadian game.

PhillyFan12 Posted - 11/14/2008 : 13:13:34
Yeah tiger woods is my vote
brentrock2 Posted - 11/14/2008 : 13:10:15
I would have to say Tiger Woods.
MSC Posted - 11/14/2008 : 13:10:08
Guest6196 Posted - 11/14/2008 : 12:39:35
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

NFL cast offs go to the CFL as a last resort, more often then not they'd prefer to remain unsigned or on the practice squad then go to the CFL. What does that tell you? The leading receiver in the CFL was CUT by the NFL, I can just imagine the talent on some of the lower end CFL receivers.

No one can argue the talent is better in the NFL and the NFL players make more money. My point is the CFL is a Canadian game. To be a patriotic Canadian like you state you are how can you not enjoy A football game in -20 with 2 feet of snow, that’s Canadian.
MSC Posted - 11/14/2008 : 12:20:14
NFL cast offs go to the CFL as a last resort, more often then not they'd prefer to remain unsigned or on the practice squad then go to the CFL. What does that tell you? The leading receiver in the CFL was CUT by the NFL, I can just imagine the talent on some of the lower end CFL receivers.
Guest6196 Posted - 11/14/2008 : 11:03:55
[quote]Originally posted by MSC

Well I guess it's time to educate some of you hockey fans about football, real football not that excuse for a sport the CFL.

I know this is a hockey site so I will keep this short.
On another post you asked me if I was a true Canadian for questioning Cherry's antics. But now you are saying the CFL is a joke.

I must put your question back to you. Are you a true Canadian? If so you should support what is Canadian and if you don’t follow the CFL just say you don’t watch Canadian football.
GO ESKS GO
MSC Posted - 11/14/2008 : 09:31:32
Well I guess it's time to educate some of you hockey fans about football, real football not that excuse for a sport the CFL.

I think the only press you see about TO is bad press, he is in fact an amazing football player and an amazing athlete. Because of his bad press his skills get over looked. I believe he not only isn't overrated or hyped but in fact he's underrated and hyped.

A few stats....

He holds the record for most receptions in a game - 20

Currently sits 9th!! ALL-TIME in receiving yards ahead of players such as Steve Largent, Art Monk, Mike Irvin, Torry Holt, and Andre Rison.

He is SECOND ALL TIME in receiving touchdowns...SECOND, SECOND...just in case you didn't quite hear me SECOND.

How can you be over rated with numbers like that? You also have to keep in mind that while in SF he had to pick up Jerry Rices garbage, he spent the first few years as the #2 option. Imagine if he got #1 receiver looks those first few years.
Guest4170 Posted - 11/14/2008 : 07:52:52
I think you left out the most over-hyped player in sports... Chad Ochio Cinco.... I've never seen someone get so much attention and not put up numbers (more so this season) but wow.... and I do agree I also think TO is said to be much better than he is.
Mikey Boy Posted - 11/14/2008 : 07:19:38
Come on guys and girls, the kid is twenty years old, he's taken his team to the cup finals already. He averages more than a point per game. He's in the top ten scoring this year. and look at his past 4 world juniors.
I saying the kid is twenty give him a chance to hit his peek. he is going to get better and better and when his career is over we will look back ans say wow he was just as good as Steve Yzerman!

MP
ultimatetitman Posted - 02/22/2007 : 14:48:49
Well IHC.... are you ready for this? I'm going to blow your mind.

Yes, Crosby is overhyped.
There I said it. I obviously do feel he is a great player, but there are 20+ great players in the league, and what do we hear of them?
However I don't think he is the most overhyped. After all, he does put up some great numbers.
Steve Nash is probably not overhyped, but it is getting close. Out west we hear as much about Chris Bosh as we do about Nash this year. The fact is that Nash is the only great Canadian in the NBA, and he is a 2 time MVP, so who else are the media going to focus on? Granted, there are better players than Nash, i.e. Kobe, Le Bron, etc. but none are more valuable to their team, which is the criteria the votes are made on.
Britney, come on... it's a hockey forum, not a hoochie forum. Although I am sick of hearing about her, I will not vote for her simply because she is not an athlete.
Woods? I am getting rather tired of him lately as well, but look at the stats. If he is not the unanimous choice as greatest golfer of all time, then he soon will be. And I cannot vote for him because in all the hype, we are sometimes lucky enough to see his lovely wife. That never gets tiring.
T.O. Now there is a world class ass. That man should be premanantly banned from any and all team sports, as he obviously has no concept of the meaning of the word. And yet the media flocks to him like he is the second coming. If I never hear about him again, it will be too soon!
admin Posted - 02/22/2007 : 11:24:23
quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

well, I guess that ends my attempt at making polls hahahaha......I think a lot of sports media, well media in general, under-estimates the average persons inteligence, so I get annoyed sometimes. But I guess I am a tad redundant, but steve Nash is NOT the MVP ok? LeBron is a hero, and, despite Kobe's "dirtbagness", he was way better than Nash last year, and Canadians seem to repress this fact. Nash is a great player, but common, LeBron and Kobe are rediculously better then him. And Tig is SOOOOOOOO good, but so is Vijay Singh, and he doesn't get many hours of air time devoted to him.......And I'll just shut up about sid haha.

I HATE CROSBY

Naaahhhh...Its a good poll. Disagree on Nash though, he is the MVP. Not the best player, but most valuable to his team for sure.

Pucker, lets not get too personal here ok. Everyone has an opinion
Beans15 Posted - 02/22/2007 : 10:31:12
I personally think all of those guys are overhyped. Yes, they have done good things and/or appear to have bright futures.

What I mean by over-hyped is that real sports fans could care less about Sid's thoughts on a movie or how the way Tiger wipes his forhead makes him a true champion. Wheather it be golf, hockey, baseball, anything, there is more than one great player. Yes, Tiger might be the greatest golf today. I will not argue that. But the PGA tour would be pretty boring if Tiger was the only player. There are hundreds of other golfers, and 50-60 of them are world class. It takes all of them to make the tour, not just Tiger.

It's the same with Sid, there are 400+ other players in the league. Not all superstars, but I am just as interested in them as I am in Sid and you need all of them to make the NHL. So to me, they are all over hyped.
leigh Posted - 02/22/2007 : 10:15:06
The hype on Sid will die down somewhat in 2 years. People are mezmorized by him and the NHL is looking for a savior. His first 2 seasons have been pretty incredible stat wise. But next year we'll probably hear lots about how he failed to live up to his 06/07 stats and they'll analyze the hell out of it and then he'll settle into being a great player who gets the job done for years to come. Besides, in 2 years there will be someone else to talk about and we'll all long for the Sid days when at least the guy earned the coverage.
semin-rules Posted - 02/22/2007 : 05:28:56
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4716

sorry bout that.

Hey "IHC", I've read a bunch of your stuff, and I think I'll make my name "I love IHC". I agree with most everything you say, and I too think the media is pretty weak. I think Sid is most over-hyped since he has only been around for what, 2 dull years.

Make more polls, I love your input, you really seem to love the game at a die hard level. Any pure fan would agree with you more often. I love the old fashioned style of guys. Not Wayne and Mario, I mean Tiger Williams and Terry O'Reilly. That's how you get the average fan into games. Razzle Dazzle fades away, and Sid doesn't have any to begin with. He has about 10 highlight reel points so far, and the rest are a result of good linemates.

Hahahaha

looks like you got a fan IHC

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Guest4716 Posted - 02/22/2007 : 00:26:44
sorry bout that.

Hey "IHC", I've read a bunch of your stuff, and I think I'll make my name "I love IHC". I agree with most everything you say, and I too think the media is pretty weak. I think Sid is most over-hyped since he has only been around for what, 2 dull years.

Make more polls, I love your input, you really seem to love the game at a die hard level. Any pure fan would agree with you more often. I love the old fashioned style of guys. Not Wayne and Mario, I mean Tiger Williams and Terry O'Reilly. That's how you get the average fan into games. Razzle Dazzle fades away, and Sid doesn't have any to begin with. He has about 10 highlight reel points so far, and the rest are a result of good linemates.
I HATE CROSBY Posted - 02/22/2007 : 00:13:27
well, I guess that ends my attempt at making polls hahahaha......I think a lot of sports media, well media in general, under-estimates the average persons inteligence, so I get annoyed sometimes. But I guess I am a tad redundant, but steve Nash is NOT the MVP ok? LeBron is a hero, and, despite Kobe's "dirtbagness", he was way better than Nash last year, and Canadians seem to repress this fact. Nash is a great player, but common, LeBron and Kobe are rediculously better then him. And Tig is SOOOOOOOO good, but so is Vijay Singh, and he doesn't get many hours of air time devoted to him.......And I'll just shut up about sid haha.

I HATE CROSBY
pucker Posted - 02/21/2007 : 21:42:51
Tiger Woods is huge. Next to David Beckham, he is probably the most recognized athlete worldwide. He has taken the game of golf to the next level, and when he is done he will be the greatest of all time.

Steve Nash is an amazing story. A skinny white kid from Victoria is on his way to a MVP threepeat. Not only does the media give him a lot of hype, but his teammates and his oppostion cant stop saying enough good things about him.

TO is a punk.

Sidney is the new face of the nhl. He is the only hockey player since Wayne to sign a national (American) endorsement contract (gatorade). He is good for the game in so many ways. Real hockey fans understand this. Remember when Wayne went to LA? It was huge for hockey in the US (until Bettman screwed it up). He is proving that he can score more points than anyone else in this league. Lets not argue about whether or not you like the way he plays, because like it or not, he must be doing somthing right. In sports, winning is everything, and Sid is a winner. Yes his Tim Hurtin's commercial is lame, but who cares. His team is currently one of the best in the league. I know that you have said before that he cant win the Hart because his team sucks, but they dont suck anymore, and in my opinion he is a candidate.

Britney Spears? Go watch dome more Entertainment Tonight man. That is lame.

Tiger, Sid, and Nash are all great stories. Get over it. And by the way, is this all you can talk about? You talk more about Crosby than anyone else, and the man crush you have on him is getting to be quite obvious.
I HATE CROSBY Posted - 02/21/2007 : 21:17:35
I think that here in Canada, we hear WAY too much about Nash, that's why I added him. And T.O. isn't nearly as good as his tv coverage would indicate. Britney, well, I don't think the front page of a newspaper should be about a trap shaving her head.....As for tiger, have you ever listened to the analysts talk about him, they discus how much focus he put into throwing a blade of grass up to check the wind.....I hate TSN SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much....What is it, "The Sid Network"? The show triple takes of some pass he made so Recci can score on an open net.

I HATE CROSBY

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page