Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Hart Trophy 2008

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
admin Posted - 04/30/2008 : 01:51:44
The NHL announced the frontrunner candidates for the Hart Trophy. Iginla, Ovechkin and Malkin topped the list. Who is your vote for?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tctitans Posted - 05/01/2008 : 12:01:48
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Hey, I do not disagree that Ovechkin will win the Hart. My arguement was with the "people" who are saying that Ovechkin is such a better player than Iginla.

I just can't see that.

I don't see anyone arguing that "Ovechkin is such a better player than Iginla". :)

What's Ovechkin? 22? and he's got the Rocket and Art Ross.
At 22 Iginla had his best season yet with 28 goals and 51 pts and was learning the ropes.

I agree that we are debating how they currently impact their teams, but It's hard not to recognize Ovechkin as one of those 'special' talents that don't come by too often. Ovechkin does have things to learn, and will get better and better, but he's the most dynamic player in the game today (as voted by the professional hockey writers association), and I agree with that.

I have nothing to say but good things about Iginla and I don't for a second belittle his talent or worth. Choosing Ovvy over him is not a knock on Iggy, but rather the recognition of Alex's specialness.
mAdCapper Posted - 05/01/2008 : 11:08:55
While I agree that Ovechkin is going to win and I also agree that Iginla is the best player in the league, I do have to point out that Iginla rarely went out on the pk. He could have (and probably should have, but Keenan is a topic for another day), but the pkers in Calgary were Nolan, Lombo, Yelle and Conroy.

The reason I think Iggy is the better player is that he can play in all zones, where Ovechkin is still a question mark in his own zone.

Also, to say without Ovechkin, the caps are garbage as the reason he should win is kinda BS. Why should the rest of the player be handicapped because they have a better team.

Not to mention I'd take Semin and Backstrom over Tanguay and Conroy any day. Where do I sign the trade papers???
Pasty7 Posted - 05/01/2008 : 10:01:44
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

Ovechkin has one purpose. To score goals. He does score a lot of them.
Iginla does everything really, really well and scores 50 goals a season. He is a more valuable player.
Washington making the playoffs was not just a product of Ovechkin's play. That new coach has a huge part in that. Ovie did not single handedly drag the Caps to the playoffs. Did he make his team perform better than Iginla did his? I don't see it.

But it won't be any different than previous years when it went to the Art Ross winner.

had a huge role so did cook and federov,, i hate people seem to think ovie is all the caps have and a the whole team,,, take iggy away from the flames and ovie from the caps they both drop but who loses more,,, the caps lose their leading scorer hitter and shooter,,,, the flames lose their best pk man best pp man hitter scorer passer their captain and fighter,,,, iggy is everything a hockey player should aspire to be not to take away anything from ovie but like beans said iggy is head and shoulders above the best player in the nhl, and i'd go as far to say the best since super mario

Pasty
willus3 Posted - 05/01/2008 : 09:11:40
Ovechkin has one purpose. To score goals. He does score a lot of them.
Iginla does everything really, really well and scores 50 goals a season. He is a more valuable player.
Washington making the playoffs was not just a product of Ovechkin's play. That new coach has a huge part in that. Ovie did not single handedly drag the Caps to the playoffs. Did he make his team perform better than Iginla did his? I don't see it.

But it won't be any different than previous years when it went to the Art Ross winner.
Beans15 Posted - 05/01/2008 : 08:23:27
Hey, I do not disagree that Ovechkin will win the Hart. My arguement was with the "people" who are saying that Ovechkin is such a better player than Iginla.

I just can't see that.
Guest4416 Posted - 04/30/2008 : 23:42:00
quote:
Originally posted by andyhack

Three quick points:

1. (Said with lots of sarcasm)
Lets not forget that Ovie led his team to the playoffs and THAT is why we are even considering him! Had the Caps come up short in that last game of the year, we would be treating him now as the no-good unworthy bum that such a result would have warranted

2. Replace Iggy with say, just for example, Bobby Holik*. Imagine the drop for the Flames then. Now replace Ovie with Holik and imagine the drop for the Caps then.

* nothing against Holik - was just trying to find a good, but not superstar, player to use in the example

I have to think about the above myself actually, but this much I am sure of. Regardless of who the better player is, the answer to who SHOULD win the Hart rests in this sort of question.

3. Looking at it in the above way, this is NOT such an easy question in my mind.

I agree that this is a reasonable approch to take, but I think the answer is still pretty obvious (to me). I think Calgary still makes the playoffs with Holik, but the Caps do not.
andyhack Posted - 04/30/2008 : 20:22:42
Three quick points:

1. (Said with lots of sarcasm)
Lets not forget that Ovie led his team to the playoffs and THAT is why we are even considering him! Had the Caps come up short in that last game of the year, we would be treating him now as the no-good unworthy bum that such a result would have warranted

2. Replace Iggy with say, just for example, Bobby Holik*. Imagine the drop for the Flames then. Now replace Ovie with Holik and imagine the drop for the Caps then.

* nothing against Holik - was just trying to find a good, but not superstar, player to use in the example

I have to think about the above myself actually, but this much I am sure of. Regardless of who the better player is, the answer to who SHOULD win the Hart rests in this sort of question.

3. Looking at it in the above way, this is NOT such an easy question in my mind.

Beans15 Posted - 04/30/2008 : 20:03:06
I'm trying to understand what makes Ovechkin a better player than Iginla. I agree that Ovechkin will win the Hart and that he was very important to his team.

Just though I would point out a couple of things about this season specifically.

1) Take a look at shots and shooting %. Wonder how many goals Iginla would have score if he would have taken 106 more shots???

2) Interesting that there is a 14 point spread between the two but only one different in +/-. And don't even try to pull which team is better defensively. Washington and Calgary were spread by only 4 goals against.

3) Time on ice was interesting as well. Ovechkin spend almost no time on the PK, and spent over 100 more minutes on the PP.

I just wonder if you were to switch the two player onto opposite teams and put Iginla with Ovechkin's TOI on the PP and the number of shots and Ovechkin with Iginla's if the stats would have been the same???

I don't think so.

I don't think there is a guy who has watched both players to any serious length of time that can honestly say that Ovechkin is as good as Iginla defensively either.

My vote still goes to the Best Player in Hockey today, Jarome Iginla.
Guest9672 Posted - 04/30/2008 : 19:28:32
Iggy should have won it over Theodore. His chances of winning it in the next couple of years will be more and more difficult.
PainTrain Posted - 04/30/2008 : 15:35:56
I think it's kinda hard to not give the Hart Trophy to a guy that scored 65 goals. He defiantly lead that team and deserves it. Iginla is a guy who I would love to see him get the Hart before he retires. He's got some tough competition in years to come but he defiantly deserves it.
tctitans Posted - 04/30/2008 : 13:28:43
Also... Ovvy *should* win the Hart this year. It's not about feel good stories.. or media exposure or east vs west this time around... he actually has earned this honor.... I love Iggy too and would like to see him get one, but that would be more of an emotional vote.

Ovechkin *should* win the Hart, and Ovechkin will win the Hart.
tctitans Posted - 04/30/2008 : 13:25:16
Iginla a better player? lol....

Iggy's certainly a great/elite player, but the only thing he's got on Alex is experience. Skill? Ovvy. Heart? tie. Speed? Ovvy. Aggressiveness? tie. Fighting? Iggy. Let's get real folks... Ovechkin scored 65 goals this year... at his age... on *that* team... Ovechkin doesnt shy away from anybody and is a fierce competitor... he initiates hits, hits hard, and plays in the difficult areas. e

Don't get me wrong, Iginla is a great player, one of the best. But we're talking about an elite and rare talent here in Ovechkin... and the scary part is that while Iggy is at his peak, Ovechkin is still on the upswing and will not hit his peak for quite some time now. Scary.

Ovvy over Iggy hands down.
leigh Posted - 04/30/2008 : 11:50:54
Can't really disagree with you there Beans.
Beans15 Posted - 04/30/2008 : 10:41:06
I voted Iginla. Reason being I think he is the best lb for lb player in the league. There is really little to no flaw in his game in any area on the ice.

However, the winner will be Ovechkin. Not only does the NHL have a tendancy to vote towards the Art Ross winner as the Hart Winner, but Ovechkin was the feel good story of the year. A team that did not make the playoffs last year to become on of the most exciting and entertaining teams to watch. All on the shoulders of Ovechkin.

Ovechkin will win, but Iginla is a better player.
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 04/30/2008 : 07:16:53
Ovechkin. I think thats all I have to say

Go Stars!!!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page