Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 2008 Stanley Cup Winner?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex Posted - 05/19/2008 : 19:35:47
The stage is set for what could possibly be the most exciting NHL championship final in many years. Which team do you think will win the 2008 Stanley Cup?
22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Leafsfan_94 Posted - 05/25/2008 : 09:32:13
couldnt have said it any better.

quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

quote:
Originally posted by nashvillepreds

but I wonder if his old body would slow down after facing maybe 30 shots in a couple games. I think there would be a big difference.

Do you honestly think that Chris Osgood will get much more tired if he faces 8 more shots in a game?

Detroit in 6. One of the best defence in the league and all of there forwards are great two way players. Detroit has a lot of grinders on the 3rd and 4th line that will be the difference in this series. Kirk Matlby, Kris Draper, Daren McCarty and Jiri Hudler can be a big factor in this series.

I don't think that Pittsburgh's defence has been tested that much and they will be in this series and I don't think they can compare to the top 4 defence in Detroit.

Detroit is just too strong of a team!

When the going gets tough....the tough get going!

Leafsfan_94

Guest4448 Posted - 05/24/2008 : 22:30:37
quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

quote:

but I wonder if his old body would slow down after facing maybe 30 shots in a couple games. I think there would be a big difference.

Do you honestly think that Chris Osgood will get much more tired if he faces 8 more shots in a game?

Detroit in 6. One of the best defence in the league and all of there forwards are great two way players. Detroit has a lot of grinders on the 3rd and 4th line that will be the difference in this series. Kirk Matlby, Kris Draper, Daren McCarty and Jiri Hudler can be a big factor in this series.

I don't think that Pittsburgh's defence has been tested that much and they will be in this series and I don't think they can compare to the top 4 defence in Detroit.

Giddy up!
Guest4448 Posted - 05/24/2008 : 22:28:50
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4104

For those of you who truly think that Pittsburgh will win the cup, you clearly know nothing about hockey.

Extremely well said.
PainTrain Posted - 05/24/2008 : 08:31:39
quote:

Datsyuk 1 Posted - 05/23/2008 : 15:40:29
I would have to say Detroit in 6 because of the experience difference and just the way I'm thinking right now.
n/a Posted - 05/23/2008 : 04:47:37
Nashville pred - yep, the more I think about it, the more I think it's the key to the series: getting 30 shots through to Osgood.

Prediction #1 - Pens get 30 or more shots (or around that number), they win, I think. Detroit always makes a team make that extra pass with their great positional play, and it wears down teams into making mistakes. Those mistakes will happen from time to time, however, the Pens are the most skilled team Detroit will have faced so far. I think they can surprise the experienced Wings with some great passing plays and individual efforts.

Other key, I believe, will be Roberts. If he can get in this series and even play three hard-hitting forecheck games, I think it will make a huge difference. Lidstrom needs to get hit, Datsyuk needs to get hit, they are the engines that make Detroit go. If Staal, Roberts can provide some tertiary scoring and outwork guys like Cleary and Draper - then the battle will be half won.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest4680 Posted - 05/22/2008 : 19:40:07
Pittsburgh
pokermatt12 Posted - 05/22/2008 : 18:09:56
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pokermatt12

It's funny because most people are hopping the bandwaggon known as the Pittsburgh Penguins and their feel-good story. They will be sad to see the cup go to Lidstrom, skating across the ice in glory

And as for Guest4104, YOU say they whoever picks Pittsburgh to win the Cup doesn't know anything about hockey. I think someone who clearly knows something about hockey knows that it will be one of the greatest stanley cup finals in years because of the calibre of both teams, and someone who knows something about hockey knows a hit, a lucky bounce, or a bad penalty can change the course of any game or any series for that matter, and that it is anyone's series.

Sorry, the greatest cup final in the past few years was a couple years ago, Colorado and New Jersey.

The finals are a matter of who wants it more, which would be Pittsburgh. I don't believe Lidstrom still has a much motivation to win another cup. Crosby and Malkin, they want it badly. I really don't care who wins. I'd like to See Osgood win as a starter,b ut I'd also like to see the pens win before they have to give up all their star players.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!

Well my friend, that may be your favourite final, but to me... and to a lot of others i'm sure, this will be a series to remember. And why don't you believe Lidstrom has as much motivation to win the Cup? I think he might have as much if more motivation then the young Pens because of his age, and he would love to win another one before he retires. Crosby and Malkin and the Pens on the other hand, are a young team with lots of potential and if they don't win it this year, it may very well be next year or the year after; we'll just have to wait and see.

And as for the Pens having to give up all of their star players? Which ones? They have Crosby locked up, and Malkin will be soon to follow. Hossa would be nice to sign but they did without him for most of the regular season and I'm sure role players like Staal, Sykora and Malone could fill his void.
nashvillepreds Posted - 05/22/2008 : 17:23:13
quote:
Originally posted by pokermatt12

It's funny because most people are hopping the bandwaggon known as the Pittsburgh Penguins and their feel-good story. They will be sad to see the cup go to Lidstrom, skating across the ice in glory

And as for Guest4104, YOU say they whoever picks Pittsburgh to win the Cup doesn't know anything about hockey. I think someone who clearly knows something about hockey knows that it will be one of the greatest stanley cup finals in years because of the calibre of both teams, and someone who knows something about hockey knows a hit, a lucky bounce, or a bad penalty can change the course of any game or any series for that matter, and that it is anyone's series.

Sorry, the greatest cup final in the past few years was a couple years ago, Colorado and New Jersey.

The finals are a matter of who wants it more, which would be Pittsburgh. I don't believe Lidstrom still has a much motivation to win another cup. Crosby and Malkin, they want it badly. I really don't care who wins. I'd like to See Osgood win as a starter,b ut I'd also like to see the pens win before they have to give up all their star players.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
pokermatt12 Posted - 05/22/2008 : 17:13:34

nashvillepreds Posted - 05/22/2008 : 16:21:45
Slozo, I do think it will be tough to get many pucks past Osgood, but when you look at his shots against per game, he's getting maybe 20, 25 shots while other goalies are getting 30, maybe 35 shots per game.

In the playoffs, Osgood is facing an average of 22 shots per game, while Fleury is facing 28 shots per game. the Red Wings GAA is so low because their shots against are so low. In save percentage, Osgood is still a great goaltender, but I wonder if his old body would slow down after facing maybe 30 shots in a couple games. I think there would be a big difference.

Detroit's low shot totals are the only reason why Hasek can even still play. If the dominator played on any other team these days, he wouldn't start more than 10 games this year.

I* definitely think Crosby and the pens want the cup more, and if they get enough shots on goal, I think they'll get it in 7

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
n/a Posted - 05/22/2008 : 04:57:04
I would have said Detroit in a second before - too experienced, too defensively sound, they have it all . . . except for the goaltending, which has only had to face about 20 shots a game, which is ridiculous.

Can the Pens get their shots through to Osgood? Nashville was young and inexperienced, an inferior team, but they managed to take two games from them through awesome goaltending and a great forechecking style. Colorado's big guns got hurt often and early, and looked a little old, frankly, against a Detroit squad that was rolling. Dallas played Detroit really well, but still lost . . . just didn't seem to have the firepower, or any answer for Detroit's forechecking or defensive style.

Lately, I've just been having a feeling . . . that Pittsburgh's stars - at least two of them - will be able to break through the neutral zone trap with their skill and speed. I am starting to think the Pen's snipers will get a lot more than 20 shots on Osgood. And, instead of the Montreal Price Bandwagon, I'd be more apt to jump on the Fleury bandwagon, as he has excelled in the playoffs, despite his youth and inexperience and the fact that he had a major injury this year.

So, Pittsburgh in 6.
According to the brave whiz known as Guest 4104, I must know nothing about hockey, but there it is.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest4104 Posted - 05/22/2008 : 00:56:59
For those of you who truly think that Pittsburgh will win the cup, you clearly know nothing about hockey.
Leafsfan_94 Posted - 05/21/2008 : 16:45:50
its going to be close. ill s.. Detroit in 5 or 6. pittsburgh is to young and the red wings are experienced and have a few of the players they had when thye won in 02

Leafsfan_94

Leafs_Fan_67 Posted - 05/21/2008 : 14:36:14
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6058

Detroit hasn't even had a challenge this playoffs. Nashville...well, it's Nashville.....Colorado didn't even have most of it's top scorers playing and they have week golatending.....and Dallas doesn't have anyone who can score. Pittsburgh will win in 5.....maybe six. Crosby and the Pens want it more. They've been absolutely great defensively and offensively. Crosby also gets the Conn Smythe trophy!

You must be kidding, you think Pittsburgh wants it more? If anyone can appreciate the chance to play in the finals or to have a great team come playoff time, it is the Red Wings not just in this series but in the NHL, probably no one is better prepared than them. On paper they could easily have won 5 cups in a row the last couple of years, anyone who says otherwise didn't watch the games. It's not farfetched.

Pittsburgh was is at the top of the world three years after being the worst team. They take things a little too lightly and for granted if you ask me - always the case with young guys in the playoffs.

I like what BradTheBadDad (from now on calling him BTBD for short) said.: Penguins only have a chance if they win game 1 or 2.
Guest6058 Posted - 05/21/2008 : 13:22:47
Detroit hasn't even had a challenge this playoffs. Nashville...well, it's Nashville.....Colorado didn't even have most of it's top scorers playing and they have week golatending.....and Dallas doesn't have anyone who can score. Pittsburgh will win in 5.....maybe six. Crosby and the Pens want it more. They've been absolutely great defensively and offensively. Crosby also gets the Conn Smythe trophy!
BradTheBadDad Posted - 05/21/2008 : 04:18:30
Lots of analysts saying it'll go seven games, reason being they can't decide. I don't agree.

No doubt about it the teams are evenly matched, but only one will likely be able to play 100 percent smart, dedicated and inspired hockey. Don't kid yourself, playoffs are emotionally draining.

I see the Pens having a breakdown first, so they better get the lead if they want to hold it. The Red Wings just seem better equiped to battle adversity if you ask me.

''Eat. Sleep. Hockey''
pokermatt12 Posted - 05/20/2008 : 11:29:42
See I want to say Detroit but here's the thing: goaltending. I know Osgood has won all but two of his games in the playoffs, but can you honestly say he's been stellar? Most games have been around 20 shots, and I am positive Crosby, Malkin and Hossa will tally that by themselves.

I think whoever has the better goaltender will win the Cup this year, they both have the offence and the defence; now the goaltending. They haven't faced off this year so it's hard to say the outcome, but one thing is probably certain, this series should go the distance. Bettman should be very impressed with this matchup, with basically the top team from each conference (I'm still convinced the Pens dropped the last game to Philly on purpose to have an Ottawa-Pittsburgh first round matchup).

Radoria Posted - 05/20/2008 : 08:21:40
After many recent early playoff exits after being the best team in the league I think Detroit may finally be due in recent years. However, in playoff hockey you never know what's going to happen, but if I were to place a wager on the outcome of the final I would go with Detroit; I think their veteran roster will come through.
admin Posted - 05/20/2008 : 00:08:48
Hey Alex, I was about to create the same poll and realized that you had it up already. So I've made it the feature poll, however, you'll see that I made a few creative modifications to it. Hope you don't mind. Thanks!
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 05/19/2008 : 20:08:35
Its going to be close. I see this one going to game 7. Pittsburgh is going to need to have guys like Jordan Staal or Adam Hall step up like Toby Petersen did for the stars and shut down Zetterberg and Datsyuk. As much as I'd like to see the Pens win and have Crosby win the cup earlier in his career then Gretzky and Lemieux I just think Detroit is going to take it.

Stars for the Cup!
Guest6625 Posted - 05/19/2008 : 19:36:30
Too soon for young Pens.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page