Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Edmonton & Los Angeles Trade - Opinion

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest8815 Posted - 06/29/2008 : 21:37:28
To Edmonton:
Lubomir Visnovsky

To Los Angeles:
Matt Greene
Jarret Stoll

I think Edmonton got the better end of the deal. With all the young D-Men Edmonton has, Greene was expendable. Stoll was an RFA and was unlikely he was going to re-sign. Visnovsky will give us a solid offensive punch along with great leadership. Stoll's loss will hurt, hopefully we can pick up a UFA or someone to fill his shoes. But I believe Visnovsky will be a nice addition.

So who do you think got the better end? (and why.)

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beans15 Posted - 07/02/2008 : 13:46:06
I has nothing to do with being in tight. It's called being a true fan. I have bled Copper and Blue since Gretzky had a Crosby-esqe Playoff beard. If you truely pay attention to your team, anyone can figure this stuff out.

This one was easy. The Oilers wanted Pitkanen back, but only on a short term deal to see if he was more durable. Obviously, Joni decided he wanted something more long term. So, before the Oilers traded Pitkanen, the go out and pick up someone as good or better. As soon as Vishnovsky signed, it was easy to see that Pitkanen was gone.

For my next rabbit out of the hat, I will call Martin Havlat an Oiler in the next 7 days. Him and the Chicago brass have not seen eye to eye in the past and he is a fragile guy. However, with Kane and Sharp doing what they did last year, Havlat is expendanbly. The Oilers made a big push for Hossa and lost, but Havlat is a similar type of player to Hossa. Plus, it is not that big of a risk for the Oilers as Havlat has only 2 years left under contract. IF (and a big if) Havlat can stay healthy, he is a point a game guy and would fit very nicely on the wing with Hemsky and Horcoff making a very formidable 1st line for the Oil.

This is a shot in the dark, but it seems like it makes sense to me.
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 07/02/2008 : 12:28:35
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Mark my words, in the next two weeks there will be another large trade involving the Oilers. It will involved at least Pitkanen and from the other side, there will be a top 3 forwards.

OK, Beans that was a little creepy! How do you know these things? are you in tight with Kevin Lowe or something? wow! My hat off to you, my friend!

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Guest8815 Posted - 07/02/2008 : 12:10:34
quote:

Mark my words, in the next two weeks there will be another large trade involving the Oilers. It will involved at least Pitkanen and from the other side, there will be a top 3 forwards.

This really is a solid move for the Oilers. As said above, Stoll in an RFA, and he is a shell of his pre-concussion self. If he has a comeback season, good for him, but I don't see it.

The Oilers defense may now be the class of the North West. Couple more forwards and they will be tough to beat. This trade, in my opinion, heavily favors the Oilers. One of the top 5-10 passing d-men in the league who is locked in for 4 more years and is only 30 years old for an RFA forward this year and an RFA d-man next year. I likes.

My friend you are a genius.

To Carolina:
Joni Pitkanen

To Edmonton:
Erik Cole

And in other news.

To Edmonton:
Gilbert Brule

To Columbus:
Raffi Torres

All together -

To Edmonton:
Erik Cole
Gilbert Brule
Lubomir Visnovsky

Departing Edmonton:
Matt Greene
Jarret Stoll
Joni Pitkanen
Raffi Torres

Kevin Lowe you are my hero. I think this doe Edmonton loads of good and will make us serious competitors this season. Cole will easily fill Stoll's shoes and alongside Hemsky they should produce very well together. If his health stays good, I could see him putting up 35+ Goals. Brule is eons better than Torres. Pitkanen's loss will hurt but Visnovsky will ease that pain. Greene I was never too attached too and he is easily replaced by the many young up and coming Oilers D-Men.

Pasty7 Posted - 06/30/2008 : 16:44:50
quote:

This really is a solid move for the Oilers. As said above, Stoll in an RFA, and he is a shell of his pre-concussion self. If he has a comeback season, good for him, but I don't see it.

The Oilers defense may now be the class of the North West. Couple more forwards and they will be tough to beat. This trade, in my opinion, heavily favors the Oilers. One of the top 5-10 passing d-men in the league who is locked in for 4 more years and is only 30 years old for an RFA forward this year and an RFA d-man next year. I likes.

not to mention the oil gave a guy who for years should have been a number one a shot,,, i've always loved Mathieu Garon and next year mark my words (to steal a quote) he will break out even more... Garon is the kind of Goale you can win with,,, oil better hold on to this guy!

Pasty
Beans15 Posted - 06/30/2008 : 13:12:33

lyall Posted - 06/30/2008 : 12:37:49
I like this trade for Edmonton. I would have rather seen Torres go instead of Stoll, but hopefully we can upgrade some more by moving Torres. I would really like to see the Oilers keep Pitkanen though......With him, Souray, Visnovsky and Gilbert they would have a killer rotaion of D-men on the power play....but that leaves an odd man out. Grebeshkov just resigned, Smid is emerging as a great young, physical defeneder and Staios is really our only stay at home defenceman, so it looks bad for Joni.

"I Was So Happy I Gave Kerry Fraser A Hug" -Bill Guerin
PainTrain Posted - 06/30/2008 : 12:32:17
Both ends of the deal worked well. Jarret Stoll is a great two way player who can maybe have a comeback season. He can replace the loss of Michael Cammaleri in LA. LA has a lot of young d-men, Thomas Hickey, Jack Johnson, Colten Teubeurt and Drew Doughty. With the acquisition of Matt Green, he and Colten Teubeurt will be the shut down D-men while Jack Johnson and Thomas Hickey can be more of the offensive D-men where Drew Doughty will be the two way complete D-man. They just need another young two way d-man and they have HELL of a young Defensive crop. Couple more forwards and if Bernier steps in this will be a explosive young team. Dean Lombardi is doing a great job in LA.

Lubomir Visnovsky is one of the best passers in the league and he will get a lot of points feeding the puck to the big shot of Sheldon Souray. Watch his point totals go up way more.

Good deal on both sides.

When the going gets tough....the tough get going!
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 06/30/2008 : 08:10:51
I think Edmonton did okay with this deal.

Good point about Greene being expendable in this trade, they have a decent crop of younger D men with Smid, Grebeshkov, Gilbert as well as a nice mix of vets with Staios, Souray and now Visnovsky.

Can't wait to see the powerplay, with a coulpe of bombers back there and the likes of Hemsky, Horcoff, Gagner and Cogliano. They may actually make a decent run next season.....may. Now if they could get a decent enforcer type and send off Stortini the wrestling circus bear!!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page