Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Cristobal Huet 5.25 million worth it?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pasty7 Posted - 07/03/2008 : 08:14:03
Cristobal Huet has signed with the Black Hawks for 5.65 million a year over 4 years, is he the high profile goalie worth a 5 million plus paycheck?

Pasty
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
99pickles Posted - 07/08/2008 : 13:21:31
Keep in mind, his contract may look like a fair deal after next season's free agency season. Much like how some of the contracts the last two summers first appeared, but now they don't look that crazy after all.
Pasty7 Posted - 07/08/2008 : 13:11:05
looking at it objectivly i can see Vokoun and Huet as on the same page,, Huet in a shorter time i know but still has put up as good as brodeur numbers in the individual category's (leaving out wins) and he averages more shots per game and Huet has only played on one good team as well last years habs,, I'm going to admit i push Huet hard because the guy gets nowhere near the respect he deserves,, i think very highly of Vokoun ,, Ward Backstrom and Miller but watching them play Huet would be my Goalie,, why its hard to say really technicly the best of these Goalies is by far Miller, the guy has goaltending down to a T. When i coach Miller is the kind of Goalie i tell my kids to watch and try and play like,, Backstrom i cant comment on i havn't really seen him play enough, but as marty proved its not always how good you look doing it,, But the good news to this argument is we will know at the end of this year because Huet will have to be the goalie i say he is to go places with a young and coming Chi Town team,,, so beans i will officially conceed and admit my wrongness should Huet prove to be not what i say he is!

Pasty
Beans15 Posted - 07/07/2008 : 17:20:28
With all due respect, I am shocked that as a goalie coach you would put Vokoun behind Huet. Vokuon has played on bad teams (with the exception of one year in Nashville) his entire career and put up stellar numbers. Put him on a team such as New Jersey and he is putting up Brodeur type numbers. Out of curiousity, what does Huet do better than Vokoun?? Ward?? Miller??? Other than the fact that all of those goalies have gotten their teams out of the first round of the playoffs. Has Huet???

Huet at #7 is still high to me. I seriously wouldn't put him in the top 10. Top 15 yes, in my books, but not top 10.

I was listening to Team 1260 (by the way, the best sports radio station anywhere) and the GM from Columbus was on (Scott Howson). He said he was more than a little surprised at Huet's contract and that most people he has talked to would rank him in the bottom half of the top half of the league. That puts him around 15th???

He is the second "hockey guy" I have heard say that publicly.

I will go back to the sheet I have for the past three years worth of goalie stats and see what I find.
Pasty7 Posted - 07/07/2008 : 16:16:26
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Huet is in the top 5 of what??? Let's see:

Broduer, Luongo, Kipprusoff, Lundqvist, Giguere, Nabokov, Ward, Vokoun, Miller, and Backstrom.

There are 10 goalies I would easily put ahead of Huet. In fact, of all the statistical measures of a goalie, Huet finished in the top 10 in only one catagory.

No way in hell that Huet is a top 5 goalie in the league today.

I will concede that Huet has better numbers than Khabibulin, but he also played his time with two teams that made the play-offs.

I just don't see Huet being even a top 10 goalie in the league. But only time will tell.

beans i remember we had this argument in another thread, and you pointed out where huet ranked in all the statiscal category's for a goalie and we had him at 11th in the league over the past 3 seasons, statisticly,, i'm just going to say no way i would take miller ward backstrom or vokun over huet, we also established if memory serves Huet saw the 7th most shots of any goalie over the past 3 years and stoped the 2nd highest percentage of them,, to me any goalie who can stop the second highest percentage of the shots he faced espcially when he faced more then the majority of other goalies he is deffinetly one of the best,, top 5 i agree he is not,,, but top 7 i'd have him about 7th if i were chooseing a goalie, remember beans im a goalie coach i get paid the big bucks to spot talent hahahhahaha

Pasty
Beans15 Posted - 07/07/2008 : 12:51:57
Huet is in the top 5 of what??? Let's see:

Broduer, Luongo, Kipprusoff, Lundqvist, Giguere, Nabokov, Ward, Vokoun, Miller, and Backstrom.

There are 10 goalies I would easily put ahead of Huet. In fact, of all the statistical measures of a goalie, Huet finished in the top 10 in only one catagory.

No way in hell that Huet is a top 5 goalie in the league today.

I will concede that Huet has better numbers than Khabibulin, but he also played his time with two teams that made the play-offs.

I just don't see Huet being even a top 10 goalie in the league. But only time will tell.

hockster Posted - 07/07/2008 : 09:54:18
Im with you pickles and pasty
He is a solid player and in the top 5 goalies
Khabibulin is in the bottom 25ish
99pickles Posted - 07/07/2008 : 02:35:21
It seems like Huet's name just hasn't received the press deserved. And, at a glance it seems like this contract indicates that he is overrated, but when you look at the stats provided by Pasty, you have to admit that he has quietly put up great numbers over the last 3 seasons.

Although in the end I believe that he got a little more than he should have, his numbers are really solid. Keep in mind, Chicago may have slightly overpaid him to entice him to a team that hasn't won anything in some time.

This team is star-studded for next season! What a season we have in store...
Pasty7 Posted - 07/06/2008 : 17:06:54
quote:
Originally posted by hockster

Are you kidding me?
I'll be the first to say Khabibulin was a great, all star goalie
But HES TOO OLD.
He isnt worth 2 million a year.
He was a great!
But now hes not!
Simple enough for you?

again i agree and beans i just still dont see how Huet can not be considerd one of the top goalies in the pas 3 seasons !

Pasty
hockster Posted - 07/05/2008 : 11:20:00
Are you kidding me?
I'll be the first to say Khabibulin was a great, all star goalie
But HES TOO OLD.
He isnt worth 2 million a year.
He was a great!
But now hes not!
Simple enough for you?
Beans15 Posted - 07/05/2008 : 07:37:59
Hmm, stench of Khabibulin??? The guy has done nothing put have a higher than .900 save percentage (and in every season except 2) on generally bad hockey teams. Other than the one season with Tampa, he has played the majority of his career on losing teams. He has a career win percentage over .500 playing with Chicago, Tampa Bay, and Winnipeg. None were contenders except the one Cup season in Tampa

Khabibulin very well could have been a HOF goalie if he played on a winning team.

I don't think there is a stench there at all, and I don't really think that Huet is a step up.
hockster Posted - 07/04/2008 : 21:40:29
He is only worth that money
If they are able to rid themselves of the stench of khabibulin
If they keep them both it is one of the worst movesof this offseason,
except for Jeff Finger.
Pasty7 Posted - 07/03/2008 : 21:31:55
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Huet is not worth $5 million. I would even question. $4 million. I don't think the guy is elite. I was listening to a sports radio show yesterday where they had a couple of "hockey" guys on who said that in their talks with GM's around the league, most are shocked at how much Huet got. They said he is in the bottom half of the top half of the goalies in the league.

Plus, Chicago still has Khabibulin with a large salary and will be hard to move.

Not thinking this was a really great move by Chi-Town.

i'm guessing they have some sort of move for Khabibulin because they are over their cap space right now,,, i agree he is not worth 5 million but come on he is 83-61-21 career 2.43 with a .918 sv %, i know he hasn't played as may games as the best in the league but those numbers are up there,, he deffinetly is the best goalie available

Pasty
Beans15 Posted - 07/03/2008 : 11:59:34
Huet is not worth $5 million. I would even question. $4 million. I don't think the guy is elite. I was listening to a sports radio show yesterday where they had a couple of "hockey" guys on who said that in their talks with GM's around the league, most are shocked at how much Huet got. They said he is in the bottom half of the top half of the goalies in the league.

Plus, Chicago still has Khabibulin with a large salary and will be hard to move.

Not thinking this was a really great move by Chi-Town.
Pasty7 Posted - 07/03/2008 : 08:18:30
anyone who knows me, knows I love Cristobal Huet to me this guy is gold, I sincerly thought he was going to stay with Washington but Chicago is a great fit for him, Finally the Black Hawks are going to have a solid goalie used to being bombarded with shots and still pulling out a win, that being said i still thing a 5 million $$ price tag is a little steep, it was obviously a question of circumstance where you had three big name Goalies available, Kolzig, Theodore and Huet,, Theo got 4 million and when you think about Huet chased both these guys off their respective teams he is the best available but again that always inflates the contract, 4 million would have been just about right.

Pasty

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page