Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Burke or Lowe

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pasty7 Posted - 07/06/2008 : 17:04:19
Burke and Lowe are at it again, throwing insults back and forth what do you think, who is the Moron as Lowe put it?

Pasty
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
99pickles Posted - 07/14/2008 : 03:57:39
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15 Take a look at the Anaheim roster and the players in their system prior to him arriving.

Don't you think I already did that when I provided the list of his acquisitions after his arrival? I certainly didn't have Anaheim's transaction history memorized, of all teams!

I know he joined the Ducks in June of '05, how else did I know which were his pick-ups or not?

Again, most of his entire bench were his very own draftees/tradees/signees. He built most of that whole team himself (except for goaltending where he opted to keep a Conn Smythe-winning goalie from a LOSING team 4 years earlier - rightfully so, wouldn't you say?).

Hey, look, I'm as unimpressed as the next guy that Anaheim of all places has a historical claim to the cup, but I am just looking at the info involved in this situation and it is telling me something.
Beans15 Posted - 07/13/2008 : 15:32:11
quote:
Originally posted by 99pickles

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Burke won one Cup on a mostly inherited team with the additions he made to the team falling in his lap.

C'mon, beans, call a spade a spade......

As I posted elsewhere:

Chris Pronger, Teemu Selanne, Scott Neidermayer, Dustin Penner, Travis Moen, Brad May, George Parros (scraping bottom here lol!), Francois Beauchemin, Todd Marchant, Sean O'Donnell, Richard Jackman (7 playoff games), Shawn Thornton (48 reg season games, 15 playoff games don't forget), Joe DiPenta (76 reg season games, 16 playoff games), Kent Huskins (all 21 playoff games!) Joe Motzko (okay, only 3 playoff games, but still)

10-11 significant players on that cup-winner including the big 3, and 6-8 core guys are all from Burke???
Approximately 15-17 players in total that got their name on that cup that year were his personal pick-ups.That's almost the whole bench, except for the goalies.

Yep - not inherited.

Sorry to those that disagree - keep in mind: I am NOT a Ducks fan, I am just looking at the stats and info. Just admit it - he simply didn't inherit a cup champion. As much as you may hate the guy, facts are facts.

Hey Pickles, let me clear up something.

When I say "inherited" I don't mean all the players were there and he just had to walk in and take the credit. Hell no. He made some moves and added some pieces. Definately. However, he had some pretty decent assets to work with. Burke started as GM in June of 05. Take a look at the Anaheim roster and the players in their system prior to him arriving.

All I am saying is that he had quite a few assets to start with. Compare that with other teams (Oilers, Chicago, Columbus, Phoenix) who had little to nothing.

It's not like Burke turned water into wine. Did he build a team, sure. Did he have a lot to start with, definately.
Guest4043 Posted - 07/12/2008 : 21:47:04
They're both complete morons. air your laundry somewhere else. Telling them to shut up was Bettman's best move in 15 years.
99pickles Posted - 07/11/2008 : 02:44:38
quote:

Burke won one Cup on a mostly inherited team with the additions he made to the team falling in his lap.

C'mon, beans, call a spade a spade......

As I posted elsewhere:

Chris Pronger, Teemu Selanne, Scott Neidermayer, Dustin Penner, Travis Moen, Brad May, George Parros (scraping bottom here lol!), Francois Beauchemin, Todd Marchant, Sean O'Donnell, Richard Jackman (7 playoff games), Shawn Thornton (48 reg season games, 15 playoff games don't forget), Joe DiPenta (76 reg season games, 16 playoff games), Kent Huskins (all 21 playoff games!) Joe Motzko (okay, only 3 playoff games, but still)

10-11 significant players on that cup-winner including the big 3, and 6-8 core guys are all from Burke???
Approximately 15-17 players in total that got their name on that cup that year were his personal pick-ups.That's almost the whole bench, except for the goalies.

Yep - not inherited.

Sorry to those that disagree - keep in mind: I am NOT a Ducks fan, I am just looking at the stats and info. Just admit it - he simply didn't inherit a cup champion. As much as you may hate the guy, facts are facts.
Beans15 Posted - 07/10/2008 : 12:16:55
In my opinion, time will tell that Lowe is a better GM. Reason being is that when both are retired (speaking only in a management role) Lowe will have won at every level he was involved in (international, NHL) while Burke won one Cup on a mostly inherited team with the additions he made to the team falling in his lap.

A great GM to me is a GM that has their team contending (legitimately contending that is) over a reasonable period of time. See Jim Holland(Detroit), Doug Armstrong(Dallas), and Lou Lamoriello(NJ)PIerre Lacroix (COL). Those 4 teams traded the Cup back and forth for a 15 year period and each year their teams had a legitimate shot at winning.

That is a great GM.

I don't put Burke or Lowe in that class.
hockster Posted - 07/09/2008 : 23:41:42
Burke is twice the GM lowe is
He has got a cup
Lowe doesnt as a GM
And Lyall in no way is Smid amazing
He will at best turn out to be a 2nd or 3rd pairing defence on a good team
lyall Posted - 07/09/2008 : 21:17:27
This whole thing to me makes no sense. Did Brian Burke forget what Kevin Lowe did for him a year before signing Penner to an offer sheet?........ Lowe gave the Ducks Chris Pronger. The Oilers got 3 picks (one of wich we gave back,) Joffery Lupul (who was a failure for the Oilers. We did trade good for him though) and Ladislav Smid (who is an amazing up and coming defender, but doesn't match Pronger in any way.). The Ducks get a tough, savvy, proven veteran & a key peice to their sucsess, Oilers get picks and propects.
The Oilers signing Penner is fair. Its in the rules and Burke kinda owed Lowe. The only reason he's mad is because he knows that 3 or 4 years into that 5 year contract Penner is gunna be a steal. Why does Burke care anyway? He sends great players like Andy McDonald away so he can afford to pay for his "semi-retired" players.
If any one person has any reason to be angry at Lowe it's Darcy Regier. He's got Thomas Vanek signed for a 7 year $50 million deal and Vanek was 20 points shy of his previous season.
I agree with Beans that Lowe shouldn't have said anything, But I also agree with Lowe the Burke will do anything for media attention.

"I Was So Happy I Gave Kerry Fraser A Hug" -Bill Guerin
I´m also Cånädiön Posted - 07/08/2008 : 04:52:26
quote:

What's wrong with calling someone an "A-dollar sign-dollar sign-clown???"
Kidding aside, If I did offend anyone, let me know, I will remove it. I just kind of like the word.

Had to go home from work early today because of fever, stops by pickuphockey...... But hey! What´s this? (scribble scribble) "A$$ Clown" added to english vocabulary
Beans15 Posted - 07/07/2008 : 17:14:27
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:

Has Burke been involved with any Olympic Success?? Any internation success in any way shape or form?? As a player???

Burke has one Cup (which some believe was inherited, but that is for another time), while Kevin Lowe has been involved in winning at every level of hockey he has been involved in.

I really wish that Lowe wouldn't have spouted off the other day. I know I would have a lot sooner. However, until that point Lowe was the far classier guy in the whole issue.

At the end of the day, I know I am bias because I am an Oiler fan. However, one thing that Lowe said in his rant was very true. He talked about the fact that Burke made a comment about Kevin Lowe being in trouble with his job. That is not something I have ever heard a GM say about another GM. That shows little to no class in my books on Burke's part.

I would rather have a fun, exciting, young team to watch and not win the Cup then win the Cup and be embarrassed to be a fan of a team with a classless GM. There are very few things that could make me stop being an Oilers fan. Having an a$$ clown like Brian Burke as a GM is one of them.

Are moderators allowed to use the term "A$$ Clown" hahaha i kid i kid but i agree Lowe untill the other day handled this situation with about as much class as you can!

Pasty

What's wrong with calling someone an "A-dollar sign-dollar sign-clown???"

Kidding aside, If I did offend anyone, let me know, I will remove it. I just kind of like the word.
Pasty7 Posted - 07/07/2008 : 16:21:08
quote:

Has Burke been involved with any Olympic Success?? Any internation success in any way shape or form?? As a player???

Burke has one Cup (which some believe was inherited, but that is for another time), while Kevin Lowe has been involved in winning at every level of hockey he has been involved in.

I really wish that Lowe wouldn't have spouted off the other day. I know I would have a lot sooner. However, until that point Lowe was the far classier guy in the whole issue.

At the end of the day, I know I am bias because I am an Oiler fan. However, one thing that Lowe said in his rant was very true. He talked about the fact that Burke made a comment about Kevin Lowe being in trouble with his job. That is not something I have ever heard a GM say about another GM. That shows little to no class in my books on Burke's part.

I would rather have a fun, exciting, young team to watch and not win the Cup then win the Cup and be embarrassed to be a fan of a team with a classless GM. There are very few things that could make me stop being an Oilers fan. Having an a$$ clown like Brian Burke as a GM is one of them.

Are moderators allowed to use the term "A$$ Clown" hahaha i kid i kid but i agree Lowe untill the other day handled this situation with about as much class as you can!

Pasty
Beans15 Posted - 07/07/2008 : 12:31:22

hockster Posted - 07/07/2008 : 09:50:30
lol lol true
Guest8852 Posted - 07/07/2008 : 09:48:15
Its easy
Like i already said Burke has one a stanley cup
Lowe hasnt
When it comes down to it
thats all that matters
PainTrain Posted - 07/06/2008 : 22:41:23
You do know if he matched the offer. Anaheim would have been over the cap. Just so you know.

When the going gets tough....the tough get going!
Axey Posted - 07/06/2008 : 19:52:58
Yeah true that. Its a business and things like this happen, if he really wanted Penner he would have matched it. Burke is mad b/c Penner was a huge part of the puzzle in Anaheim to winning the cup. I personally don't like Burke and never really did.
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 07/06/2008 : 18:44:25
Burke pushed it too far. As much as he is a great general manager he needs to accept the fact that offer sheets are part of doing business. Then he starts calling out Lowe after that and its just like come on man ur a poor loser. Wonder what Dustin Penner thinks of all this.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page