Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 2008/09 Fantasy Hockey Poll

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex Posted - 07/16/2008 : 14:25:48
Who would you pick first in your 08/09 fantasy hockey pool? Just goals and assists.
27   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
99pickles Posted - 08/07/2008 : 08:20:22
This is a great era to pick outside of the top 5 in your pool because then you get a higher pick coming back in round 2 (assuming you use the obvious serpentine system). I figure you can't go wrong with a number of guys in the top 5 - 10, so I would rather sacrifice having top 5 to get 2 in the top 15, let's say.
Of course, this didn't apply so much in the Gretzky/Lemieux era!!

I never voted on this one, by the way, I inadvertently hit "view results" instead of the vote button. But just for the record, I believe Ovie to be the safest pick of the bunch for points.
Axey Posted - 08/06/2008 : 22:50:47
last year i went joe .. then iggy ... but i had 4th pick or sumthing .. id take either of them 2 firrst overall every shot
Bozy Posted - 08/06/2008 : 19:41:14
Ovechkin simply . Why because Oveckin has Backstrom to set him up . Backstrom is only gonna improve which means Oveckins numbers will improve.

Pasty7 Posted - 07/27/2008 : 15:25:05
seriously though i am deffinetly gonna pick up naslund in the later rounds of my pool this year you're gonna see the old school markus playing on broadway this year!!

Pasty
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 07/27/2008 : 14:23:46
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:
Originally posted by Leafs Rock Planet

quote:
Originally posted by Alex

On that topic, take a look at my list of ''under-the-radar picks'':

Projected 10-15 Points Higher than Last Season
Derek Roy (82)
Ryan Getzlaf (81)
Mike Richards (75)
Paul Stastny (71)
Markus Naslund (55)
Joeffrey Lupul(46)
Michael Nylander(37)
Johan Franzen(38)
Shawn Horcoff(50)

Stastny will be the go-to guy in Colorado this season and barring another injury this guy could concievably reach or top the 90-point mark. Markus Naslund is a little risky, but if you need some ''oomph'' in your pool it might be worth it to roll the dice. Nylander is only a season removed from tallying 83 points while centering Jaromir Jagr - imagine him and Ovechkin! Wow! Lastly, Johan Franzen proved this post-season he is ready. It'd be a crime not to take him, but be aware that he still isn't money in the bag and save him as a ''secret weapon'' for later rounds.

And lastly, don't overlook Steven Stamkos. He will likely be passed up on simply because he doesn't show up on last year's stats sheet, but conservatively figuring on 65 points can be a great move!

Proudly Celebrating Over 50 Blogs and Counting

You cant call Mike Richards an "under the radar" player.

He has already proven himself in the league and can hardly be mentioned as a sleeper pick anymore.

I also do not agree with Markus Naslund as a pick but in the other way. He will not be a good pick for anyone this year unless you have a draft with a whole bunch of rounds and therefore somebody will definetely take him.

i'd put a case of coors light on naslund toping 75 points this year with at least 35 goals,,,, any takers??

Pasty

Coors light always was a cheap beer.
MSC Posted - 07/27/2008 : 10:48:18
Ovechkin is probably the safest bet of them all....I'd hate to say it but I can see Iginla dropping in points this season. As far as Roy, Getzlaf, Richards and Stasny...they aren't dropping underneath anyones radar. That's like picking Detroit as your underdog pick to repeat this year.
Bozy Posted - 07/24/2008 : 07:52:52
Datyuk will put up really good numbers this year dont be surprised if he gets 110or more points . But Ovechkin has Backstrom to give him the puck . I see Oveckin 120 or more points wih 70 goals .
Pasty7 Posted - 07/23/2008 : 09:07:06
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs Rock Planet

quote:

Derek Roy (82)
Ryan Getzlaf (81)
Mike Richards (75)
Paul Stastny (71)
Markus Naslund (55)
Joeffrey Lupul(46)
Michael Nylander(37)
Johan Franzen(38)
Shawn Horcoff(50)

Stastny will be the go-to guy in Colorado this season and barring another injury this guy could concievably reach or top the 90-point mark. Markus Naslund is a little risky, but if you need some ''oomph'' in your pool it might be worth it to roll the dice. Nylander is only a season removed from tallying 83 points while centering Jaromir Jagr - imagine him and Ovechkin! Wow! Lastly, Johan Franzen proved this post-season he is ready. It'd be a crime not to take him, but be aware that he still isn't money in the bag and save him as a ''secret weapon'' for later rounds.

And lastly, don't overlook Steven Stamkos. He will likely be passed up on simply because he doesn't show up on last year's stats sheet, but conservatively figuring on 65 points can be a great move!

He has already proven himself in the league and can hardly be mentioned as a sleeper pick anymore.

I also do not agree with Markus Naslund as a pick but in the other way. He will not be a good pick for anyone this year unless you have a draft with a whole bunch of rounds and therefore somebody will definetely take him.

i'd put a case of coors light on naslund toping 75 points this year with at least 35 goals,,,, any takers??

Pasty
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 07/22/2008 : 20:15:46
quote:

Derek Roy (82)
Ryan Getzlaf (81)
Mike Richards (75)
Paul Stastny (71)
Markus Naslund (55)
Joeffrey Lupul(46)
Michael Nylander(37)
Johan Franzen(38)
Shawn Horcoff(50)

Alex Posted - 07/22/2008 : 19:29:00

Derek Roy (82)
Ryan Getzlaf (81)
Mike Richards (75)
Paul Stastny (71)
Markus Naslund (55)
Joeffrey Lupul(46)
Michael Nylander(37)
Johan Franzen(38)
Shawn Horcoff(50)

Beans15 Posted - 07/22/2008 : 16:03:40
quote:
Originally posted by Open_Ice

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Your first pick will never win your pool for you.

but it could lose the pool for you...

(if you're really out of the loop)

Yes, I agree completely. Your first pick can lose it for your if your first pick is Derek Boogaard!!

The thing is that most draft pools are rarely bigger than 10-15 people. There are generally 10-15 players that are the cream of the crop, so you are bound to get one of them. The thing that wins pools are the players in the middle round that over perform.

A player in the middle that is 30+ points higher than the rest of the players in that round very easily compenaste(plus more) the difference between the players in the first round.

I used the example last year of Ryan Getzlaf. He went from 58 points two seasons ago to 82 points last season. Most of the projections had him 60-65 points depending on who you listened to. I don't think there was a single publication that had him at 80+ points. He was a steal in the mid rounds when most of the players in those round are 40-50 points.

It's the players like Ryan Getzlaf that win hockey pools, not the Sidney Crosby. The first round of most pools are almost robotic. The midrounds is where the cream rises to the top.
Open_Ice Posted - 07/22/2008 : 14:01:49
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

but it could lose the pool for you...

(if you're really out of the loop)
hockster Posted - 07/19/2008 : 22:22:41
all are good, i picked iggy.

I know some of you are gonna take this the wrong way, but i dont think ovechkin would accel on a team like the wings, flames, because of his lack of need for the rest of a team. He is just too good to play the team game, and he makes the players around him leaps and bounds better, but if their was a huge team philosphy, or a system that didnt let him play an open style of game he would have way fewer goals. if washington surrouned him by goood players, his play would not differ, he would still be 50g's and100 points +
This is only my opinion, i stilll think he is the most skilled NHLer.

Not really worded the best, lol
99pickles Posted - 07/19/2008 : 03:04:17
So you didn't know what Bure's nickname was, no biggie...
Pasty7 Posted - 07/18/2008 : 16:17:16
oh come now can't you boys pick up a lil sarcasm,,, Bure .... and of course i googled it! lol

Pasty
leigh Posted - 07/18/2008 : 12:23:00
quote:

...... p.s was there ever russian player nicked named the Russian Rocket??

Pasty...are you serious? Dude, time to do your homework good buddy.
Beans15 Posted - 07/18/2008 : 11:56:34
Remember somthing else, Ovechkin scored all those goals and got all those points without the player brought in to be his set up man. If Nylander returns to form and is healthy, Ovechkin will top 120 points.

Crosby is always a safe bet, but the question of health is involved now. 2 injuries in a year (both ankles I believe). One never knows. If healthy, doesn't matter who he plays with you will get 100+.

The next obviousl choices would be guys like Iginla, Lecavalier, Heatley, Alfredsson. These guys are not as likely to crack 100, but they could just as easily.

Here's the thing guys, most of the pools I have been invovled in have been max 20 guys. The top 20 guys in the NHL points wise are not that far off. You will never win or lose a pool based on who you pick first. How you win a pool is who you pick in the middle and end. Stay away from sleepre picks and look for guys that have been consistant but could blow up. For me, last year I got Getzlaf in like the 6th or 7th round. He out performed everyone else picking in that round by like 25 points.

99pickles Posted - 07/18/2008 : 00:41:28
quote:

was there ever russian player nicked named the Russian Rocket??

Pasty

pretty sure there was....
Pasty7 Posted - 07/17/2008 : 16:54:05
points Joe Thornton will lead the league hands down,, but if goals are weighted more then I love Iginla he is the better player but as Beano said you cant be the Russian Rocket A.O for that....... p.s was there ever russian player nicked named the Russian Rocket??

Pasty
Leafsfan_94 Posted - 07/17/2008 : 13:18:22
ok fine crosby if he doesnt get hurt

Leafsfan_94

BradTheBadDad Posted - 07/17/2008 : 03:35:47
A lot of guys seem nervous to pick up Ovechkin because generally players don't keep up that kind of play for too long, but my theory is, let's pretend Ovechkin had gotten 100 points last season, 50 goals (similar to Iginla's numbers), we'd be all taking him way before Iginla. Why are guys more excited to pick players they think will do better than last year? If Ovechkin drops by 5 goals and Iginla adds 5, AO is still up a few. In a pool where goals are weighted higher, you can't afford to pass up on Ovechkin!

I just don't think it's a smart move to fault him for a good season.

''Eat. Sleep. Hockey''
Guest6652 Posted - 07/16/2008 : 22:26:05
The Kid
Guest4043 Posted - 07/16/2008 : 22:05:24
hey you can't pick 3! man up and make a decision. Or at least narrow it down to two. right now you've got half the list
Leafsfan_94 Posted - 07/16/2008 : 19:49:31
Crosby Or Ovechkin or Iginla

Leafsfan_94

leigh Posted - 07/16/2008 : 16:47:40
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

You know I have to vote Iginla. He's going to go off the charts this year! I think ol Bert is going to open up a lot of ice for him. Without Bert he was going to finally crack 100. With Mr. Knock out I think that will add 20+ points to his total. Give him 125 on the season (62 goals!)

I love this time of the season...I can make predictions liek crazy and rave about my team and no one can convince me otherwise...until the first puck drops. The offseason, definitely my favourite! haha!
leigh Posted - 07/16/2008 : 16:45:52
You know I have to vote Iginla. He's going to go off the charts this year! I think ol Bert is going to open up a lot of ice for him. Without Bert he was going to finally crack 100. With Mr. Knock out I think that will add 20+ points to his total. Give him 125 on the season (62 goals!)
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 07/16/2008 : 14:28:05
I see that you read Leigh's need for a feature pole Alex.

My answer is actually none of the above. Providing that the pool that I was in included enforcers. They always seem to rack up the most points for you and I feel its the best way to go.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page