Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Canadian Anthems

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
admin Posted - 10/06/2008 : 23:06:25
Which anthem has more meaning to you as a Canadian?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beans15 Posted - 10/16/2008 : 18:17:40
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5770

Although technically I'm not a Canadian yet I shall be immigrating from the UK to Nova Scotia within the next 6 months. I am also intending becoming a Canadian Citizen once I have completed my requirements for Permanent Residency.

I have never heard the former Hockey Night theme so cannot say that has more meaning but the Canadian National Anthem is set as the ringtone on my mobile. I cannot wait to come over and immerse myself in the true spirit of being Canadian, as well as being able to start following Hockey as it's supposed to be played.

Here's to a fresh new Canadian and to a fresh new hockey fan.

A tidbit of advise, go to Timmy's and order a double-double as soon as you get off the plane.

Most importantly, if you want to follow hockey as it is supposed to be played, don't follow the Toronto Maple Leafs. You will be sadly disappointed!!

Cheers.
admin Posted - 10/16/2008 : 18:12:34
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5770

Although technically I'm not a Canadian yet I shall be immigrating from the UK to Nova Scotia within the next 6 months. I am also intending becoming a Canadian Citizen once I have completed my requirements for Permanent Residency.

I have never heard the former Hockey Night theme so cannot say that has more meaning but the Canadian National Anthem is set as the ringtone on my mobile. I cannot wait to come over and immerse myself in the true spirit of being Canadian, as well as being able to start following Hockey as it's supposed to be played.

Hands down the best post of the day! Can't wait to have you join us as Canadians!
brentrock2 Posted - 10/16/2008 : 14:03:40
I picked the Canadien Anthem for the meaning as a canadien.
admin Posted - 10/16/2008 : 11:56:42
We're looking for a new feature poll for the home page. If you're interested please post a poll but be sure to follow these guidelines if you want it to be considered:

http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3485
PhillyFan12 Posted - 10/16/2008 : 11:03:05
I think the canadian anthem has more meaning to me as a candian then the HNIC anthem.
Canucks Man Posted - 10/16/2008 : 08:52:31
If you want to hear the HNIC anthem watch NHL on TSN.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Guest5770 Posted - 10/16/2008 : 05:38:27

n/a Posted - 10/10/2008 : 08:01:23
I picked the old HNIC anthem.

The national anthem was adopted as all national anthems are adopted: to engender patriotism, loyalty to a nation, etc. We are taught it in schools as something we must know to truly be Canadian; we sing it at professional sports events for some strange reason. Listening to the lyrics of the anthem, it is all about being proud enough to defend our country, something I have never had to do (and hopefully will never have to do).

On the other hand, I have watched HNIC for many years, and it is a cultural event embedded in the hearts and minds of many Canadians. I have travelled all over the world, and I can't tell you how many times I have shared a smile with a stranger from Canada over one of us humming the old HNIC theme - it says so much, with so little. It speaks of the passion of Canadians with their love of hockey, speaks of countless times watching a game, and it forms an instant and beloved comraderie, regardless of whether you were cheering for the Leafs, the Habs or the Oilers. It is a shared cultural experience that evokes an emotional response.

Maybe if I had served in the armed forces, it would be different - but the national anthem doesn't give me the rush that the old HNIC them does.

And for the record, none of the songs that are/were in the running for the new theme can replace it - frankly, they just suck.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest6745 Posted - 10/07/2008 : 15:44:29
canadian anthem is overplayed. I sing it everyday. the former hockey night in canada anthem kill the canadian anthem
Alex Posted - 10/07/2008 : 14:25:00
I've got to say the Canadian anthem holds much more significance to me. Canada is about a lot more than hockey, although clearly hockey is a big part. Our national anthem is a tribute to patriosm that everyone, not just the hockey players / fans, can relate to. It has more history and means more to more people.

Obviously the CBC song may be a little more fast paced, better for getting you ''pumped'' I guess you could say. But overall, it's no contest. Oh, and if I had to have one thing with my hockey game, O Canada or HNIC Theme Song, I'd take the national anthem. Ask these Edmonton fans what they thought:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meLpuF9UMvk

Make sure to cast your votes in the PickUpHockey Hall of Fame
Canucks Man Posted - 10/06/2008 : 23:19:55
Definatly the real canadian anthem i am very proud of being canadian and i love hearing our anthem. its reminds me of how lucky i am to live in the greatest country in the world.

CANUCKS RULE!!!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page