Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Best Goalie in the NHL

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest9044 Posted - 01/02/2009 : 06:04:49
Who is the best goalie in the NHL.

40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Habsfan17 Posted - 11/11/2009 : 14:25:52
You kinda forgot brodeur and he gets my vote he is only 1 shutout away from tying the best goalie ever.

Habs Rule
Habsfan17
Guest3364 Posted - 11/10/2009 : 16:53:22
quote:
Originally posted by Mikey Boy

So your going into the playoffs...you are the head coach of a mid range team, your going to tell me you would rather have a goalie like Vokoun or Thomas over a proven stanley cup champion like Osgood? Osgood had 37 wins in 60 games the only full season he played with STL. injuries hurt him the others. The Blues were a below average team that year and missed the playoffs. Osgoods fault? hell no. He signs with Detroit and wins two more Stanley cups. Was Detroit a very good team? yes there were...so has the San Jose sharks over the years but their goalie who everyone thinks is in the top 5 can't get past the second round. Why? Because goalies like Osgood, Ward, Turco rise to the occasion when their teams needs them to. And that is what i would look for in a top goalie. Its all bout the playoffs!
and can you win?

MP

Can you explain why every year going into training camp, coming to trade dealine and going into the post season every sports commentator list Osgood as a liability? Detroit for about 10-15 years or so has loaded the forwards with veteran leaders and kept the core Defensive Allstars and can't afford a decent starter. If Detroit wasn't restricted by the cap you bet they would sign a better goalie than Osgood to start. Detroit has a reputation of the puck control and keeping shots against to the outside away from dangerous scoring area's which Osgoods stats have benifited greatly from.

Btw, Osgood is making $1.5 million a year and Vokoun was signed for $5.7 million. Unless Osgood is getting grossly underpaid or Vokoun is getting grossly overpaid I'd say there respected GM's agree which is the better goalie. To my knowledge Vokoun is the Czech #1 goalie come Olympics while Osgood will be watching from home.
Alex116 Posted - 11/10/2009 : 14:36:25
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh G. Rection

Obviously Luongo probably should be part of the conversation, but honestly Brodeur is still the man. He has won cups and conn smythes and carried slightly above average devils teams to a quasi-dynasty over the last 15 years.

Luongo maybe great, but as of now he hasn't gotten it done when it mattered. Even Canucks fans will have to admit that last year's game 7 against Chicago was a total trainwreck from Luongo. He choked when the pressure was on, plain and simple. Despite posting great numbers in Florida, obviously they never even made the playoffs while he was there.

P.s. Marc Andre Fleury and Cam Ward deserve more attention and consideration than Mr Luongo, since both have rings and have a proven playoff track record.

Hugh....agreed, Luongo shat the bed vs Chicago last year. And, i agree Ward and Fleury deserve a little more credit than either gets. I in fact, am still just coming around on Fleury. I've still got that "he's got a great offensive team in front of him" and "he reminds me of Grant Fuhr in that he's in a good situation to win" feeling, if you know what i mean. He is gaining more and more of my respect this season though! Regardless, if it were me running Canada's team and i had to choose between Fleury, Luongo and Ward, i'd go with Luongo and i promise you that's nothing to do with him being a Canucks or the home ice, etc etc. He could still be in Florida, and he'd be my pick of the three.
Hugh G. Rection Posted - 11/10/2009 : 13:08:22
Obviously Luongo probably should be part of the conversation, but honestly Brodeur is still the man. He has won cups and conn smythes and carried slightly above average devils teams to a quasi-dynasty over the last 15 years.

Luongo maybe great, but as of now he hasn't gotten it done when it mattered. Even Canucks fans will have to admit that last year's game 7 against Chicago was a total trainwreck from Luongo. He choked when the pressure was on, plain and simple. Despite posting great numbers in Florida, obviously they never even made the playoffs while he was there.

P.s. Marc Andre Fleury and Cam Ward deserve more attention and consideration than Mr Luongo, since both have rings and have a proven playoff track record.
Gusteroni Posted - 11/10/2009 : 12:49:09
The Monster of course...kidding. Hopefully I can attach that to this thread in a year or so. Right now I am really liking Fleury, he is a big save kind of goalie which I love. With Cam Ward out now he should be a front runner for the Olympics. He is maturing with the Pens and it shows a great deal in his play this year. Poor Price though I do feel for him, I don't know if things will ever turn around for him until he's traded or becomes a UFA.

"There are only two seasons in Canada...hockey season and not hockey season."
Guest4803 Posted - 11/09/2009 : 10:37:55
in the nhl right now its the razer...ANDREW RAYCROFT
Guest9991 Posted - 11/09/2009 : 03:56:24
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Top 5 are Brodeur, Luongo, Kiprusoff, Nabokov and Lundqvist.

Some could make arguements for any of these guys being #1, but these are the top 5. Anyone who would say different has not watched hockey in the past 3 years or so. All of these guys face a ton of shots, have a high save percentage, and above all, have a high percentage of wins vs. games played.

My personal vote for #1 would be Brodeur. Although, I would not argue with anyone who had one of the other 4 listed as #1.

Anyone who puts in Steve Mason, Tim Thomas, Cary Price, etc are voting with hot streaks, not all around. The only other guys that might crack the top 5 would be Backstrom out of Minnesota, but they are a highly defensive team which helps.

Sorry, I'm gonna have to deny Lundqvist on this and maybe Kipper too. Granted they are both amazing goalies but not in the top five.

Backstrom from the Wild is one of the greatest goalies in the Nhl, worthy of making the top 5, the fact that the Wild is lacking defense right now does nto help.

The last goalie that should round out the top five can be argued between Thomas from the Bruins or Lehtonen from the Thrashers. Both outstanding goalies, thomas has his uniqueplaying style kinda like vintage Hasek, and Lehtnen is amazing all around. Unfortunately, Lehtonen has had injury problems and is injured again right now at the moment, so far that I would have to say Thomas would make the final spot in the top five.

Therefore, the top 5 goalies in the NHL right now would be Brodeur, Luongo, Nabokov, Backstrom, and Thomas
Guest4640 Posted - 11/09/2009 : 00:51:53
brodeur is hands down the best goalie since patrick roy retired
Guest4872 Posted - 11/07/2009 : 19:19:51
osgood WAS a good goalie. back in the day he was a good goalie but now he is past his time. he should have retired after they won their last stanley cup. and even that year he was lucky that he had such good defense otherwise they would have been knocked out sooner. then when i saw him in net for the next year i knew they wernt going to win the stanley cup.

so the moral of the story is who ever says that osgood is a good goalie in these past years is wrong. he was good but hes an old style goalie in a new style game
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 10/21/2009 : 11:52:34
Um... Brodeur...

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Leafs81 Posted - 10/18/2009 : 06:43:29
When you see 50% of the votes are other, it just show you the kind of list we have to chose from.

I voted other having Brodeur in my head.
irvine Posted - 10/17/2009 : 19:21:35
quote:

Original writer: Axey
--BEGIN QUOTE--
I didn't say he was the best, I said one of and at the time he was. I'm pretty sure I jynxed him actually lol but nonetheless he is an awesome goalie and is one of the best in my opinion. My pick btw is Brodeur and then Lundqvist.
--END QUOTE--

I still can't say that Price is "one of the best", but I will agree with you regarding Brodeur. :P

Irvine
Axey Posted - 10/17/2009 : 17:30:36
quote:
Originally posted by irvine

quote:

your silly lol, he has played 66 games in the NHL and already has 40 wins. He is one of the best already there is no denying it anymore.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.

You sir, are way off. :P I understand you are a Habs fan and all, but Price is far from proving himself as an elite goaltender in the NHL, let alone as the BEST goaltender in the NHL. 40 Wins compared to Brodeurs what, 560+? hehe.

There is just no comparison between Brodeur and Price, and by saying Price is the best in the NHL, you are putting him ahead of Brodeur, thus making the comparison.

Sorry, I just can't agree. Also, I know i'll take a LOT of heat for this, but I also believe Luongo is very overrated.

Luongo had sub-par junior stats (Q), sub-par AHL stats and is just now starting to become an elite NHL goaltender. Sure, you can blame his former teams, but it's hard to blame his teams from Junior all the way up until the past few seasons.

I'd still rank him top 5-6, but definatly not #1.

Irvine

I didn't say he was the best, I said one of and at the time he was. I'm pretty sure I jynxed him actually lol but nonetheless he is an awesome goalie and is one of the best in my opinion. My pick btw is Brodeur and then Lundqvist.
Beans15 Posted - 10/17/2009 : 16:28:02
People can tell me all the number they want about Osgood. Bottom line is that off the powerhouse Red Wings, he was below average. Even on the Red Wings, he is average at best. He is NEVER the best player on the ice in any game.

He had the huge benefit of playing on a brialliant team for most of his career. He is average at best and regardless of the people have the conversation (normal fans, media, GM's, etc) he is NEVER listed in anyone's Top 5.
Mikey Boy Posted - 10/17/2009 : 15:25:48
So your going into the playoffs...you are the head coach of a mid range team, your going to tell me you would rather have a goalie like Vokoun or Thomas over a proven stanley cup champion like Osgood? Osgood had 37 wins in 60 games the only full season he played with STL. injuries hurt him the others. The Blues were a below average team that year and missed the playoffs. Osgoods fault? hell no. He signs with Detroit and wins two more Stanley cups. Was Detroit a very good team? yes there were...so has the San Jose sharks over the years but their goalie who everyone thinks is in the top 5 can't get past the second round. Why? Because goalies like Osgood, Ward, Turco rise to the occasion when their teams needs them to. And that is what i would look for in a top goalie. Its all bout the playoffs!
and can you win?

MP
Alex116 Posted - 10/16/2009 : 08:38:47
Mikey Boy..... i'm an Osgood fan of sorts BUT, i wouldn't consider him a top 5 goalie simply based on his accomplishments over the years on a very above average team. I don't have the stats in front of me, nor do i wanna look'em up, but how many of those awards, accolades, etc, did he win in his years with the Islanders and Blues? How many playoff games did he win with those teams? Cups?

I think the guy gets a bad rap for being a good goalie on a very good team however, i'd never consider him at any point in his career to be in the top 5....then again, Turco wouldn't be near the top 5 either. Obviously i don't consider puckhandling to be quite as important as you do.
Mikey Boy Posted - 10/16/2009 : 08:17:13
I'm with the Osgood fans here. i can't stand people that say he's no good. And Vokoun over Osgood!!!! come on buddy are u watching the same game? Osgood- 3 stanley cups
2 william jennings
4 all-star teams
15 playoff shutouts 2nd all time!
47 playoff wins 8th all time
2.48 career GAA
49 career shutouts
and 1 goal!

here U fill in Vokouns:

MP
Mikey Boy Posted - 10/16/2009 : 07:51:17
defining the best goalie is a difficult question. simply because goalies play for different teams with different styles of defence. If your looking at stats only then guys like Osgood,Turco etc. should be included in these discussions. However, being a goalie myself you tend to look at different abilities that the goaltender is able to do. For instance positioning in the net, handling the puck, ability to make saves under prssure (O.T.) With that being said, the netminders that come to mind are: Brodeur
Ward
Fleury
Turco
Osgood

Goalies like Luongo, Nabokov, Kiprusoff, Mason, Thomas may be better then the ones listed above, however they need to take the next step into the elite group meaning they need a ring on their finger to seperate them from the rest. Who wants a goalie thats great in the regular season but can't take their team past the second round (Nabokov) for instance. i have to go with proven winners.

MP
Guest4134 Posted - 10/15/2009 : 08:00:49
Brodeur is the best, his career speaks for itself.

Steve Mason is awesome too.

I also like Kipper, Nabokov, Ward
irvine Posted - 10/14/2009 : 20:53:19
quote:

your silly lol, he has played 66 games in the NHL and already has 40 wins. He is one of the best already there is no denying it anymore.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.

You sir, are way off. :P I understand you are a Habs fan and all, but Price is far from proving himself as an elite goaltender in the NHL, let alone as the BEST goaltender in the NHL. 40 Wins compared to Brodeurs what, 560+? hehe.

There is just no comparison between Brodeur and Price, and by saying Price is the best in the NHL, you are putting him ahead of Brodeur, thus making the comparison.

Sorry, I just can't agree. Also, I know i'll take a LOT of heat for this, but I also believe Luongo is very overrated.

Luongo had sub-par junior stats (Q), sub-par AHL stats and is just now starting to become an elite NHL goaltender. Sure, you can blame his former teams, but it's hard to blame his teams from Junior all the way up until the past few seasons.

I'd still rank him top 5-6, but definatly not #1.

Irvine
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 06/03/2009 : 12:54:13
Ask Beans who he'd rather have Rolli or Osgood. Beside Vokoun or Osgood, are really you questioning that one. The other teams you might be able to argue, but most were not on my list.
Guest6196 Posted - 06/03/2009 : 12:44:18
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

quote:
Originally posted by Meli Mel

[size=1]Chris Osgood with out a doubt best goalie in the NHL. Just check his stats!

Thanks for reviving this one. But, you are so wrong its scary. Osgood is good, but he would back up in Columbus, Boston, both New York teams, St Louis, Phoenix, New Jersey, Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton, Ottawa, Buffalo, Carolina, Florida, Dallas, Minnisota and San Jose. Let me know if you disagree or if I have missed a team.

He would start on Edm, NYI, Phx, Ott, Fla, why do you think Osgoode is worse than the goalies starting for the teams above. Come on, you would really rather have Roloson than Osgoode. Please explain.
Guest9838 Posted - 06/03/2009 : 12:22:47
Osgood may not be the best goalie in the league (probably far from it), but I believe he is the best goalie for his team. He fits into Detroit's team like a well worn shoe.

This is a guy who isn't brilliant through the regular season, but gets the job done. He can put up his 30 wins in 50 games (with his team's support obviously), and let another competent backup put up another 20 wins and accept that role with no complaints. He's a veteran who's been there before and so is most likely much tougher mentally than some hot shot who gets told to sit for two weeks, he can accept this role. When it comes to the playoffs he knows his role again, he makes the stops that he's required to, but again his experience allows him to play the game he knows without some of the pressure another goalie might have. When he goes lights out in the playoffs it's a bonus, and he does know how to step it up under pressure.

Osgood comes in with a cap hit of 1.4MM, allowing his team to spread their extra money all over. What you end up with is a veteran goalie with a number of rings and calm steady presence in net for a bargain price. Detroit spent the 2nd least amount of money on goalies this year in the league! The other teams at the bottom of the Goalie money list: Col, Nash, LA, Mtl, Car, Min, Buf, Tbl, Clb. Ward is the only other goalie who this strategy worked for, Clb's numbers are deflated since they traded Leclaire.

I can't think of another goalie at this price at this ability, with this experience who could do the job like Osgoode. And I can't think of another team that could survive to the cup final with a goalie of this ability, at this age, then Detroit. As far as teams and goalies go they are a match made in heaven.
Rambo2305 Posted - 06/03/2009 : 11:36:54
quote:

[size=1]Chris Osgood with out a doubt best goalie in the NHL. Just check his stats!

Mel, wouldn't say he's the best lol....he is the best clutch goalie right now for sure. He's a solid number one on many teams...whats scary is the fact that he's still really good, and he's way past his prime :S lol

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 06/03/2009 : 09:36:55
quote:

Thanks for reviving this one. But, you are so wrong its scary. Osgood is good, but he would back up in Columbus, Boston, both New York teams, St Louis, Phoenix, New Jersey, Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton, Ottawa, Buffalo, Carolina, Florida, Dallas, Minnisota and San Jose. Let me know if you disagree or if I have missed a team.
Meli Mel Posted - 06/03/2009 : 08:32:17
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 05/09/2009 : 10:18:54
Trying to get this one going again. Greatonesleague can you get your mom, or your grade 4 teacher to proof read your post's, please. That was painful! Break it up or something.

Why hate on Montreal or Colorado. I say thank Lindros for some of the best western hockey series's ever Detroit/Colorado. Too bad it didn't happen in Quebec City. For the record I am for Loungo #1. I have a hard time putting Nabokov, Thomas and Price on my top 5 list.

Nabokov has a great team, but no positive post season credentials
Price had a great amateur/rookie season and what else?
Thomas can only play half the year and poops the bed post season.

Loungo, Henrick, Brodeur, Backstrom and Cam Ward.

To note, I could see either Steve or Chris Mason cracking the top 10 in a few years.
greatonesleague Posted - 04/24/2009 : 15:56:11
]i have been a canuck fan for 39 yrs. through thick and thin and before that aTRAIL SMOKEATTERS fan ever heard of the them only amature club to win olympic gold twice .,so ithink i know good hockey when i see it and right now loungo is playing the best and the canucks are hot.--- now i want to adress fans montreal fans are the worst in the league ,i love it when i ask someone why thier a montreal fan especially if it is anew canadian they always say well they won 26 cups not oh! i like the way play (when someone says to me i'am ahab's fan i think to my self another one that dose not know hockey) why do i say that because if you knew the history of the league you would see that the hab's automatlly got the first 2 french speaking draft picks, do you think thats not an advantage and i would say 13 of those cups were won against teams that had as much chance as a midgit team playing them, not something to be proud of ;;,,and then there was the not so fair system of playing expansion teams in the finals a little fairer but not much playing teams like st.louis, minn., l.a. ;; when the last time they won the cup 92-93 16yrs ago when the last time they made it to the 3rd,round alittle bit different when there is level playing field HEY![]-- NOW mypet peef colorado fans you have nothing to complain about you basiclly were given the cup and should get down on your knees and thank eric lindros for the rest of your lives [ ihope you never see aplayoff game again your spoiled and deserve to suffer like the rest of us.] now i would like to bring up the detroit run last year did you ever luck out first you play nashville with top scorer out and they still take you 6 games ,then you go up colr who basiclly down to 2lines and thier 3best d out ,then dallas whith turco hurt and half ateam missing and they still took you to 6 games and then against pitt without malkin the only series they had to work .now your waiting tosee who you play in the second round i hope it is anahiem and they are healthy if you when that series ibet you won;t be inshape round 3 against the canucks. goodluck.
Guest0973 Posted - 04/24/2009 : 15:08:16
dan cloutier
n/a Posted - 04/24/2009 : 05:44:15
Brodeur, until he retires.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Rambo2305 Posted - 04/24/2009 : 05:04:08
A few things, Price does NOT deserve to be on this list, he is soooo overrated! Then Miller and Price are on this list and not Luongo and Brodeur? What about Steve Mason as well? Wow...this pole....FAIL!!

My vote goes to Luongo!

"Everytime you step out onto the ice, it's a clean slate, anyone can win"
Guest5785 Posted - 04/24/2009 : 01:50:25
You know a poll is poorly thought out/a failure when "Others" outnumbers all other votes.
Guest4658 Posted - 04/23/2009 : 23:47:38
Luongo is a MUST on that list, sorry but it just seems idiotic NOT to put him on the list, even before he came to Vancouver, he was one of the best!
Guest0751 Posted - 04/23/2009 : 18:09:34
Why isn't Luongo on this list???
Savitar Posted - 01/03/2009 : 11:24:26
Hurt or not, that crown is Brodeur's until he either retires, or stays waaaay past the point where he should have retired and ends up a backup goalie for the Leafs. Not that I'm pointing at anyone in particular.

"I call the big one Bitey"
Axey Posted - 01/03/2009 : 09:32:19
quote:
Originally posted by Leafsfan_94

take carey price off the list, he hasnt proved to be a top 10 goalie yet. 2 more years, and he keeps playing good and we'll see. and i say luongo, before VAN he was always on poor defensive teams, like Florida, and the Isles and i think when we was with florida he had to most shots on him more than any goalie, and still managed to play very good. now even on a great team like the nucks, he still deserves to be the number 1 NHL goalie, making great saves night after night and actually tries on the ice (ahem, Toskala)

Leafsfan_94

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Porkchop73 Posted - 01/03/2009 : 06:19:29
Brodeur, Brodeur, Brodeur. Its is a shame he was injured this year or a couple of big time records would have fallen. He is simply the best active goaltender. Luongo will take the reigns when Brodeur retires although I don't think Luongo will break Brodeurs records, but like Gretzky said "records are mean't to be broken"
Pasty7 Posted - 01/03/2009 : 05:47:14
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Top 5 are Brodeur, Luongo, Kiprusoff, Nabokov and Lundqvist.

Some could make arguements for any of these guys being #1, but these are the top 5. Anyone who would say different has not watched hockey in the past 3 years or so. All of these guys face a ton of shots, have a high save percentage, and above all, have a high percentage of wins vs. games played.

My personal vote for #1 would be Brodeur. Although, I would not argue with anyone who had one of the other 4 listed as #1.

Anyone who puts in Steve Mason, Tim Thomas, Cary Price, etc are voting with hot streaks, not all around. The only other guys that might crack the top 5 would be Backstrom out of Minnesota, but they are a highly defensive team which helps.

i agree with these guys being the top 5 and there being an argument for any of the 5 being number 1 my personal choice lundquvist

Pasty
hanley6 Posted - 01/02/2009 : 23:30:57
Roberto Luongo and Steve Mason
irvine Posted - 01/02/2009 : 22:03:42
I had to vote "Other" in this poll.

I understand that Brodeur is injured, however the question is not who is currently the hottest, but who is the best. I just do not understand why Brodeur is not on this list, yet Price and a few others are.

Martin Brodeur is the #1 Goaltender in the NHL. And until he retires, that's where I stand.

Irvine

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page