Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 best duo

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest6177 Posted - 02/07/2009 : 18:45:43
Who is the best duo in the league
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 02/11/2009 : 05:33:47
Guest 9278 - you say that stats are overrated, but the duo you picked could be argued as the best, statistically speaking.

If Zetterberg hadn't lost that playing time, they'd be statistically ahead of Ovechkin and Backstrom I think, or at least, very close. As you can see last night, they are already catching up now that Zetterberg is back and healthy.

So, I think that for some things, stats are not that redundant at all, and are in fact quite important. Being the best duo means you PRODUCE GOALS TOGETHER, that's the #1 thing. The very secondary thing to look at would be defensive ability, and frankly, that is sort of taken care of when you produce goals at a high rate. Ovechkin doesn't pay attention to defence that much, it can be said, because he is relentlessly looking for the net when he has the puck, and he is relentlessly mashing everything in his way when he doesn't. Being a constant scoring threat is great defence, so it's not something that any of these guys should have to worry about . . .

Except, maybe, for
Heatley (-9) and Spezza (-10)
or Lecavalier (-1)
or Iginla (-2) or Cammalleri (-7) - How these guys can be minus players with all those goals scored with their team +10 for goal differential is beyond me . . . lots of power play points I guess.

My point is, the statistics don't lie about production, or the fact that some of these duos are LOSING GOALS when they play together 5 on 5, which I think is the true barometer of a dynamic duo. Power play generally puts your 5 most skilled guys out there, that's no duo. Anyways, that's why I wouldn't pick Malkin/Crosby (not a true duo in my mind), Iginla/Cammelleri, and definitely not this year for Heatley/Spezza. Let's look at the +/- for what are my finalists for best duo:

Datsyuk (+30) and Zetterberg (+15)
Ovechkin (+12) and Backstrom (+11)
Savard (+25) and Kessel (+15)
Marleau (+23) and Thornton (+21)

So, looking at the STATS, your duo of Datsyuk and Zetterberg actually WIN. But, like I pointed out, I went for the classic duo - pure goal scorer, pure assist guy . . . and clearly, my decision wasn't just based on STATS. lol

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest2686 Posted - 02/10/2009 : 17:56:02
Spezza and Heatley are the best duo

-they actually play on the same line

-Spezza one of the best passer in the NHL

-Heatley one of the best shooters

And last they both finished in the top 10 and Spezza
would have been third if wouldn't have missed about 10 games

Sens rock!!!

Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin suck ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest9278 Posted - 02/10/2009 : 09:28:27
stats are so overrated. Goals and assist is what everyone looks at these days and it seems to me that they dont appreciate the game of hockey. Stats mean very little in this era today. YEa pittsburg is 12 with corsby and malkin.... but they are 10th in the conference and if the playoff started today they would be out.

I stand by my choice of zetty and dats because they are the best defensive duo in the league and possible ever.... there resume proves it either i would not go and say every cause there has been so good pairs defensivly.
They are right thr in points with the rest of them. Yeaq detriot is not #1 the sj sharks are .... but if you look at the last 10 yrs they wings has been one of the elite team in the league for a reason including 4 stanley cups in the last 11 years? They been so good for a reason and that reason is good 2 way hockey. 2 WAY hockey wins cups .... and points and most vauable to a teams i would go with 4 cups over 0 cups. U guys can pick malkin and crosby but MAlkin is so overrated.... yea he deeks the whoe teams and scores a few goals but he also lacks defensiv play and cost his teams some games. For example one of the habs vs pitts game the penguins lost because malkin lost the puck at his blue line on the powerplay being to fancy and the habs scored a SH gaol to win.
I could also go with MArleau and thorton but not before they start winning in the playoff. Seasons means nothing if you cant perform in the playoff.
I HATE THE WINGS..... BUT u cannot deny there intelligence with drafting and playing good 2 way hockey.
n/a Posted - 02/10/2009 : 07:35:59
This is a tricky one!

Malkin and Crosby, although obviously 1 and 2 in the scoring race and playing on the same more often these days, can't be the best in my mind. They don't put up the numbers when playing together, and don't seem to have that great chemistry, especially for two of the top three superstars in the game today.

So, kicking them out of the mix, I added up the totals of the duos that I thought were real duos - they have played together for some time on the same line, have great chemistry, etc.
Ovechkin - Backstrom: 69/55, total - 124 points (50 goals)
Iginla-Cammalleri: 58/52, total - 110 points (48 goals)
Datsyuk-Zetterberg: 65/46, total - 111 points (40 goals) *
Savard-Kessel: 62/44, total - 106 points (45 goals)
Thornton-Marleau: 57/53, total - 110 points (38 goals)
Getzlaf-Perry: 62/48, total - 110 points (38 goals)

*lost time together due to injury
Although Parise and Elias have spent some time together, for the most part, Parise has played with Zajac and Lengenbrunner, although if put together, the numbers would probably win: Parise-Elias: 63/61, total - 124 points (54 goals!)

My Final Vote:
Without thinking or going through the numbers, I picked Iginla/Cammalleri, and after going through the numbers . . . I'll take Ovechkin/Backstrom by a hair. I like them better as a "duo", because it's a classic case of the old "Hull and Oates" combo - a pure passer with a pure scorer.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest5604 Posted - 02/09/2009 : 23:37:36
I would say Spezza and Heatley, but the points are just not coming this year. I'm a go off the vote and say Ovechkin and Backstrom. Those 2 tear it up. Just watch that goal Ovechkin scores with like 1 second left or whatever to send it to overtime, backstrom threads the needle and delivers a perfect pass that even a monkey could have scored!
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 02/09/2009 : 11:13:11
If we are judging this year alone, Marleau and Thornton have been absolutley dominating.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Guest9278 Posted - 02/09/2009 : 11:02:48
dat and zettyburg. Best defensiv duo andf they put the same offensiv number as the rest of the league. Alot of ppl are arrogant and they go on stat. Good 2 way hockey players are maybe not more interesting to watch but they are more valuable for there teams.
One my my all time fav hockey player win rod brindamor. Can he ever play 2 way hockey for 25+ minutes a night. but ihs stats are almost never eye jumping but he ransk amoung the league best and is way underrated

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page