Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Guy Carbonneau Fired!

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
admin Posted - 03/10/2009 : 09:43:05
Was Bob Gainey's firing of the Montreal Canadiens' head coach Guy Carbonneau the right decision for the team?
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 03/24/2009 : 14:52:53
quote:
Originally posted by Odin

So Markov isn't an allstar?

Lets put it this way, I would rather put Mike Komisarek on my team than Markov. Is Komisarek an "all star"? No, not yet but do I think he has potential to be. When I say all star I dont mean the players that get voted in by the fans, I mean players that deserve to be on an all star team.

He might belong on the list of top 6 defenceman in the East, but I could probably think of a better list that doesnt include him.
Bleeding Blue and White Posted - 03/22/2009 : 05:43:52
Yes it was the right move to fire Guy Carbonneau.The Canadians are doing terrible and they are not a bad team they came 1st in the east last year and now they are just happy if they make the playoffs.

~Long Live the Leafs~
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 03/20/2009 : 10:47:17
banish the kostitsyns the ahl forever, i hate those bastards.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Odin Posted - 03/20/2009 : 09:59:39
So Markov isn't an allstar?
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 03/19/2009 : 18:05:45
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

The rumor I heard the other day is that part of the reason that Carbo was punted had to do with that aleged Russian Mafia ties to the Montreal players. From what I heard, those players were missing practice, coming in late, missing team functions and the likes. Carbo was supposidly turning a blind eye to this which is around the same time that Montreal started getting really inconsistant. Supposidly, Carbo lost the dressing room and Gainey caught wind of the players skipping practice and such which ultimately forces his hand.

I am not saying in any way that it is factual. It's just a rumor I heard. However, it does kinda make sense.

I heard the same thing. It sounds like a possible story that could in fact be true. Right now the Habs are in a mess. Who would have thought that the head coach of Les Habitants would be fired in their 100 year anniversary. Was it just me or were a lot of people putting the Habs as Cup favourites going into the year.

The roster, in my opinion, is not good. Carey Price I would say is the only "untouchable" in this group of mediocre to good players. No all stars at all.
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 03/19/2009 : 13:12:34
wow settle down leaf fan. that quote is supposed to be a 'friendly' little jab at all the leaf fans who always bring up the gretzky-fraser high stick. dont get so bent out of shape.

Leaf Fan Posted - 03/19/2009 : 12:46:33
To DangleFest89 I under stand sarcasm, but if you are going to take the time to type something for everyone to see, you might as well type the truth than sarcasm. If you don't know what your talking about don't type it all. You are probable to young to remember also!!!!!!
DangleFest89 Posted - 03/18/2009 : 17:48:41
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf Fan

Reeder check your post and get some hockey education

I guess your too old to understand sarcasm?
Leaf Fan Posted - 03/18/2009 : 16:04:21
Reeder check your post and get some hockey education
Leaf Fan Posted - 03/18/2009 : 16:00:52
quote:
Originally posted by Reeder17

quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

I think Bob Gainey should have fired himself

Wowie...good one Hanley!

Crosby is not the Lord & Savior of the NHL, get over yourself McGuire.

Gretzky has never once high-sticked a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I guess you are to young to remember Gretzky high sticking Gilmour in game 6 Semi Finals in 92/93 playoff season. He not only cut him but wasn't penalised and ended up scoring the winning goal in overtime. L. A. won game 7 and stopped a all canadian cup battle for lord stanley, Toronto at Montreal because of it!!!!!!!!
Leaf Fan Posted - 03/18/2009 : 15:54:48
quote:
Originally posted by Reeder17

quote:

Wowie...good one Hanley!

Guest8347 Posted - 03/17/2009 : 18:05:00
i think that firing carbo was a good idea but but gainy behind the bench is stupid he should only be the gm and the asistaint coach should steep up to head coach
Guest4791 Posted - 03/14/2009 : 04:28:21
To all those thnking Carey Price is not the real deal I say the kid is just 21, has incredible technical mastery and has had to deal with pressure like in no other NHL city and a less-than-stellar defense around him. Do you think Steve Mason has this kind of pressure in that hockey mecca known as Columbus? What is going on with Mike Komisarek? I strongly believe we will need to package Jaroslav Halak in the off-season, perhaps the day of the draft, and deal him to a team in need of a young, inexpensive #1 goalie (Detroit, Colorado, Toronto and NY Islanders come to mind). In exchange, get a gritty forward or defenseman. We need to get nastier as a team.

As for Gainey's firing of Carboneau - simply put, we were lost on the ice, had one oof the worst records over the past two months and Carbo said himself "I don't know what to do anymore". He opened the exit door himself!
Guest7752 Posted - 03/13/2009 : 05:34:44
good one patsy.
you said:
the fact is the english speaking population thinks as you do and the french as whatever the french media tells them and guess what the english are the minority here so again dont call me an idiot you'd seem much more inteligent if you just voiced an opinion

So if one is english in quebec, they are thinking straight although they are minority
And if one is french in quebec, they cannot think unless the media tells them what to think.
I voiced MY opion - you voiced what the french media TOLD you to voice - and I'm the idiot!

You MUST be fully French - not half French as you claim!

Back to discussions with about Carbo now,
Carbo was booted for not putting up the numbers and not maintaining the team spirit. His thoughts of Bowling for a team building exercise were "probably" NOT a good idea?
Gainey is finally someone who can step in a try to salvage this season - that's it. Nothing to do with bilingualism.
It's any one's guess if it was the right decision - but at least a decision was made.
What else did you want him to do?
At least he's trying, unlike Carbo who brings the team bowling...
Odin Posted - 03/12/2009 : 10:54:16
Sorry for the double post, I forgot to sign in.

Pasty,

seriously, that whole Koivu/french thing was due to a slow media day and some offhand musings by Pauline Marois and some dumb-ass lawyer from Montreal who have nothing better to do. It is just like the media in Montreal to try and create news where there is none.
The bottom line is, the language of use in the Montreal dressing room is English. Period. So there should be no issue. Further, Koivu IS bilingual., just not the language of choice.

Pat Burns, by the way, is bilingual French. He lived in Gatineau.

As the guest said however, I'm not sure how you think Koivu is so hated that when he is annouced and whatnot, there is a ton of support for him through applause and cheering. The guy has heart, and Habs fan appreciate that.

Also, one of the problems in playing that language card is that you greatly limit your choices. That is NEVER a good thing. I don't necessarily agree with the firing of Guy, but something had to give as the Habs consistiency was sorely lacking. They needed a shakeup, and unfortunately or not, the easiest way to do that is to fire the coach. If Price has his game back (fingers crossed), then Guy was a huge victim of timing.

Anyways, somebody touted Bob Hartley, and I think that would be a good choice, I also wouldn't mind seeing Pat Quinn in there, and have Lever as a assistant with an eye to the future.
Guest2622 Posted - 03/12/2009 : 10:52:40
Pasty,

seriously, that whole Koivu/french thing was due to a slow media day and some offhand musings by Pauline Marois and some dumb-ass lawyer from Montreal who have nothing better to do. It is just like the media in Montreal to try and create news where there is none.
The bottom line is, the language of use in the Montreal dressing room is English. Period. So there should be no issue. Further, Koivu IS bilingual., just not the language of choice.

Pat Burns, by the way, is bilingual French. He lived in Gatineau.

As the guest said however, I'm not sure how you think Koivu is so hated that when he is annouced and whatnot, there is a ton of support for him through applause and cheering. The guy has heart, and Habs fan appreciate that.

Also, one of the problems in playing that language card is that you greatly limit your choices. That is NEVER a good thing. I don't necessarily agree with the firing of Guy, but something had to give as the Habs consistiency was sorely lacking. They needed a shakeup, and unfortunately or not, the easiest way to do that is to fire the coach. If Price has his game back (fingers crossed), then Guy was a huge victim of timing.

Anyways, somebody touted Bob Hartley, and I think that would be a good choice, I also wouldn't mind seeing Pat Quinn in there, and have Lever as a assistant with an eye to the future.
Beans15 Posted - 03/12/2009 : 10:52:39
The rumor I heard the other day is that part of the reason that Carbo was punted had to do with that aleged Russian Mafia ties to the Montreal players. From what I heard, those players were missing practice, coming in late, missing team functions and the likes. Carbo was supposidly turning a blind eye to this which is around the same time that Montreal started getting really inconsistant. Supposidly, Carbo lost the dressing room and Gainey caught wind of the players skipping practice and such which ultimately forces his hand.

I am not saying in any way that it is factual. It's just a rumor I heard. However, it does kinda make sense.
Guest9656 Posted - 03/12/2009 : 10:50:14
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

I beleive the last coach who wasnt french was Pat Burns

1988 Pat Burns is correct next is 81 Bob Berry

Pasty

But wasn't Burns bi-lingual? Doesn't that mean anything?
Axey Posted - 03/11/2009 : 21:00:09
Yes, I liked Carbonneau but from what the players have said was he lost communication with the players and that is key. Gainey was right for getting rid of him. Last year we came first, this year fighting for a playoff spot, I thought we got better in the off season? The teams around us didn't do that much, but we are without a doubt a threat, Carbs just lost the horse and couldn't get it back on track. It happens, good luck in the future - he will be a a great coach one day.

The players respect Gainey alot more considering he is the man deciding if the come or go, and with Gainey behind the bench this will give him a better idea for what the team will look like next year.

Lever is a great candidate behind the bench, people can say all the want about how Quebec wants 'winners' and don't care about being French, but I'll stick to reality, it is a HUGE factor but Gainey has the last word at the end of the day so anything can happen. Time for a fresh face I would say though and Don has experience with the kids.
goleafsgosjnb Posted - 03/11/2009 : 14:16:11
lol Name-calling: the trump card in a debate.

I don't think Carboneau deserved to be fired, the Habs just aren't that good a team. It was amazing they did as they did last year. However, when a team has the kind of expectations it did entering the season, it's not surprising.

admin Posted - 03/11/2009 : 14:15:20
Everyone's opinions are welcome but the name calling and personal attacks are not. Please refrain from personal attacks.

Let's keep on subject as well. The question is "was this the right thing to do for the team?"
Pasty7 Posted - 03/11/2009 : 14:02:41
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7752

First off, you're an idiot.

Secondly, you might want to brush up on your french before posting more of your idiotic comments.

Fans in Montreal want winners. Last I checked, two of the most liked players on the team were not french, or are they? Kovalev..... Koivu.....

hahaha Koivu thats a good one,, have you ever been to quebec... brush up on my french,, i live in quebec i'm half french Canadian,, Koivu is incredibly hated here in montreal by the french population i know most of my close friends are 100% french and despise koivu pretty much ever since RDS put on a broadcast on how long he's been captain here in quebec and has never learnd to speak french,,, thats the french candian mentality i know i was born into it and have lived in it all my life,, you're right Kovalev is an exception but can you name the Habs last non french Canadian coach,, Toe Blake?? come on bud call me n idiot all you want i know this to be true i live this! this is my life

Pasty

quote:

you know the french canadian stuff???
becuase you were born into it???

well it's time you grew out of it, son...

i'm from quebec also and it's losers like you and your talk that make us look bad.
grow up fool - it's only you and your pool of friends living in your little box that think the way you do...
the rest of the world as well as the rest of quebec and canada have advanced - it's time you and your friends do too.
the koivu crap that went on in the press was basically garbage started by you and your friends alike. go to a game and look / listen to the supporting crowds when koivu is mentioned.
REAL habs fans in quebec do not give a crap what language players, coaches and GM's speak - "we" want winners.
nobody cares what YOU and your friends want

Be it Gainey, or anyone else behind the bench - we want a winning team. And Carbonneau did not deliver - that's basically it--- nothing to do with French speaking crap.

hahaha i agree completely but unfortunatly people who think like me are in the minority everywhere i go here in quebec i get bashed when i defend Koivu,, quebec gives quebec a bad name if you dont think so i'd like to move to wherever it is you're from in quebec,, the fact is the english speaking population thinks as you do and the french as whatever the french media tells them and guess what the english are the minority here so again dont call me an idiot you'd seem much more inteligent if you just voiced an opinion

Pasty
Guest7752 Posted - 03/11/2009 : 13:04:54
[/quote]

Secondly, you might want to brush up on your french before posting more of your idiotic comments.

Fans in Montreal want winners. Last I checked, two of the most liked players on the team were not french, or are they? Kovalev..... Koivu.....

[/quote]

hahaha Koivu thats a good one,, have you ever been to quebec... brush up on my french,, i live in quebec i'm half french Canadian,, Koivu is incredibly hated here in montreal by the french population i know most of my close friends are 100% french and despise koivu pretty much ever since RDS put on a broadcast on how long he's been captain here in quebec and has never learnd to speak french,,, thats the french candian mentality i know i was born into it and have lived in it all my life,, you're right Kovalev is an exception but can you name the Habs last non french Canadian coach,, Toe Blake?? come on bud call me n idiot all you want i know this to be true i live this! this is my life

Pasty
[/quote]

you know the french canadian stuff???
becuase you were born into it???

well it's time you grew out of it, son...

i'm from quebec also and it's losers like you and your talk that make us look bad.
grow up fool - it's only you and your pool of friends living in your little box that think the way you do...
the rest of the world as well as the rest of quebec and canada have advanced - it's time you and your friends do too.
the koivu crap that went on in the press was basically garbage started by you and your friends alike. go to a game and look / listen to the supporting crowds when koivu is mentioned.
REAL habs fans in quebec do not give a crap what language players, coaches and GM's speak - "we" want winners.
nobody cares what YOU and your friends want

Be it Gainey, or anyone else behind the bench - we want a winning team. And Carbonneau did not deliver - that's basically it--- nothing to do with French speaking crap.
Guest4484 Posted - 03/11/2009 : 12:59:59
You guys have nothing better to do than fight online, the Habs are the best team past, present, and future. no on will ever come close(except maybe the leafs... Pshhhhhhh)
freddyboy Posted - 03/11/2009 : 12:59:12
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Guest6820

quote:

The problem is its Montreal and the bloody fans rule that's why Carbo lasted so long, if his first name was John and last was Smith he would have been fired a long time ago, if he even managed to get the job, Gainy is not to man for the job behind the bench we have Don Lieber who is perfect for the job Gainy at least decided to bring him up as an assitant but he watched the first and Second of the Edmonton, Canadiens game in the press box and apprently went down to the locker room during the second intermisson and then as anyone who watched the game the Canadiens went from coasting to on fire coming back into the game for the win,, but why can't Don be our head coach well the fans would cry "NON il est ou notre coach Quebecois, ici c'est la Quebec colis!!" for a quick transaltion that mean this is quebec we have to have a french Canadiean behind the bench its disgusting!! so in short yes to fireing Carbo No to Gainy takeing his place!

Pasty

Pasty

I agree I live in Montreal, always lived there, french born and always lived in a french environment until University, and I don't hate Koivu as a a player, but as a captain, not so sure. Most of the time Koivu is always playing with a constant effort. His wife learned french, why can't he? I don't want to debate on having a french captain or french coach, but i think after 13 years, he could have tried.

I think it was obvious that Carbonneau would be fired, and as Pasty said, it's because he's french that he wasn't fired earlier (e.g. in the middle of the 3 wins in 15 games streak).

It's sad for him, but he was a great player, but i don't think he would be a awesome coach.

I personally wish Bob Hartley would take his place, but it's my opinion.

joe is a god, if u dont agree....i dont care
Pasty7 Posted - 03/11/2009 : 11:30:05
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

1988 Pat Burns is correct next is 81 Bob Berry

Pasty
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 03/11/2009 : 10:22:38

Pasty7 Posted - 03/11/2009 : 09:22:39
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6820

quote:

The problem is its Montreal and the bloody fans rule that's why Carbo lasted so long, if his first name was John and last was Smith he would have been fired a long time ago, if he even managed to get the job, Gainy is not to man for the job behind the bench we have Don Lieber who is perfect for the job Gainy at least decided to bring him up as an assitant but he watched the first and Second of the Edmonton, Canadiens game in the press box and apprently went down to the locker room during the second intermisson and then as anyone who watched the game the Canadiens went from coasting to on fire coming back into the game for the win,, but why can't Don be our head coach well the fans would cry "NON il est ou notre coach Quebecois, ici c'est la Quebec colis!!" for a quick transaltion that mean this is quebec we have to have a french Canadiean behind the bench its disgusting!! so in short yes to fireing Carbo No to Gainy takeing his place!

Pasty

Pasty
Guest6820 Posted - 03/11/2009 : 07:50:44
quote:

Pasty

Guest6710 Posted - 03/11/2009 : 07:23:30
Hanley, way to pile on there son.

Price HAD a bit of a rough patch there, but with a career record (less than two years by the way) of 44-26-3, a 2.66 GAA and a .912 save%, I dare say you would be salivating to have him on the Leafs. He is head and shoulders better than any of the turds you have on your roster.
Pasty7 Posted - 03/11/2009 : 06:49:12

Pasty
Reeder17 Posted - 03/11/2009 : 06:04:50
quote:

Wowie...good one Hanley!

hanley6 Posted - 03/10/2009 : 21:50:29
Guest4874 Posted - 03/10/2009 : 21:12:15
perhaps they should have picked up a goalie, carey price??? probably not a #1 starter not to mention montreal did nothing at the trade deadline apare from schneider
Guest0713 Posted - 03/10/2009 : 14:42:12
Only till the end of the season

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page