Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Who will be MVP?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest9289 Posted - 03/26/2009 : 05:51:27
Who will be MVP this year?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beans15 Posted - 04/18/2009 : 15:50:47
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs Rock Planet

Sadly I believe Malkin will win the award, not deservingly of course.

This award should be given out, in my opinion and many others, to the player most valuable to his team. If we look at possible candidates for this, names get tossed around like; Malkin, Luongo, Ovechkin, Crosby etc. But lets take a closer look.

MALKIN: Without Malkin, Pittsburgh is most likely still a playoff team competing for home ice advantage. When you play 1/3 of the game you are gonna get a lot of points.

LUONGO: With any other starting goalie in the NHL, Vancouver still has the skillset on offense and on defense have a steady core. Probably still a playoff team.

CROSBY: Same thing as Malkin but works harder and deserves his points more.

Now we have Alexander Ovechkin. Without Ovie, I would argue that Washington might not be a playoff team.

People can throw Parise and Datsyuk in there but they are both still playoff teams with out them.

My main point of reason for this you might see is the playoffs. But arent the playoffs the goal before the cup?

My Pick is Ovechkin.

I agree with 90% of this. The one thing I disagree with is that Vancouver is still a playoff team without Luongo. This season is the closest thing to proving that I have seen in 25+ years of watching hockey.

As I stated in another thread.

Vancouver's record this year was 45-27-10 (.549 Win % and 100 Points)
Luongo's Personal Record is 33-13-7 (.611 win % and 73 Points)
Vancouver without Lunogo 12-14-3 (.414 win % and 27 Points)

The Canucks are NOT a playoff team without Luogno. In fact, Vancouver's win % is the 2nd worst in the West and bottom 5 in the NHL when Lunogo didn't play this year.

Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 04/18/2009 : 15:22:16
Sadly I believe Malkin will win the award, not deservingly of course.

This award should be given out, in my opinion and many others, to the player most valuable to his team. If we look at possible candidates for this, names get tossed around like; Malkin, Luongo, Ovechkin, Crosby etc. But lets take a closer look.

MALKIN: Without Malkin, Pittsburgh is most likely still a playoff team competing for home ice advantage. When you play 1/3 of the game you are gonna get a lot of points.

LUONGO: With any other starting goalie in the NHL, Vancouver still has the skillset on offense and on defense have a steady core. Probably still a playoff team.

CROSBY: Same thing as Malkin but works harder and deserves his points more.

Now we have Alexander Ovechkin. Without Ovie, I would argue that Washington might not be a playoff team.

People can throw Parise and Datsyuk in there but they are both still playoff teams with out them.

My main point of reason for this you might see is the playoffs. But arent the playoffs the goal before the cup?

My Pick is Ovechkin.
Guest9948 Posted - 04/18/2009 : 14:51:51
k people....

voting for the Hart trophy is done before the PLAYOFFS EVEN BEGIN!!! so the playoffs have no bearing whatsoever
Jephman Posted - 04/17/2009 : 16:26:35
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

Thanks for explaining the difference between the two awards...I really had no clue there was a difference. I guess there's really no point in arguing this, either you believe the season includes the playoffs or you don't. To each their own.

Considering the fact that Washington was eliminated in the first round last year, and Ovechkin won the award, I agree with Canucks Man and Thornton, that the playoffs don't influence the Hart.

Anyways, it hurts me to say this being an Oiler fan, but it's hard to argue with Luongo for the reasons Beans pointed out. I also wouldn't be surprised with Parise or Ovechkin either though.
MSC Posted - 04/17/2009 : 05:31:16
Thanks for explaining the difference between the two awards...I really had no clue there was a difference. I guess there's really no point in arguing this, either you believe the season includes the playoffs or you don't. To each their own.
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 04/16/2009 : 20:23:19
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

I disagree again...how you play in the play offs has a direct correlation to how valuable you are to your team.

I completely agree with you. However, that is not what the award is for. Like Canucks Man said, the Conn Smyth award is most valuable to his team during the playoffs. The Hart is for the season. So therefore, if Washington (or Pittsburgh for that matter) doesn't make it out of the first round, it shouldn't make a difference in who wins the Hart....
Canucks Man Posted - 04/16/2009 : 20:00:52
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

I disagree again...how you play in the play offs has a direct correlation to how valuable you are to your team.

Thats what the Conn Smyth is for

CANUCKS RULE!!!
MSC Posted - 04/16/2009 : 19:38:48
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 04/16/2009 : 14:58:03
The award is for most valuable to his team. I think that a FORWARD who logs 26 minutes, definitely shows that he is valuable to his team. However, it is a moot point because the playoffs SHOULDN'T have any bearing on who wins the award....
MSC Posted - 04/16/2009 : 13:55:54
He logged alot of minutes in a losing effort therefore proving he's an MVP?
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 04/16/2009 : 13:12:13
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

I'm curious if people would change their minds about how valuable Ovechkin is if the Rangers keep it up and eliminate the Caps in the first round.

I dunno MSC, that first game showed me why Ovechkin should win the award! 26 minutes for a forward?????? Holy cow!
MSC Posted - 04/16/2009 : 10:19:02
I'm curious if people would change their minds about how valuable Ovechkin is if the Rangers keep it up and eliminate the Caps in the first round.
Beans15 Posted - 04/16/2009 : 07:43:54
Just think of what the Canucks did when Luongo was hurt compared to what they did with him in the line up.

Without Luogno - Van is under .500 and out of the playoffs
With Luongo - Van is over .600 and winning their division.

Player that is most important to their teams success is Roberto. Unfortunately, he doesn't score 40+ goals and 90+ points so he will not win. But by the definition of the award, he should win by a landslide.

And that is tough for me to say because I can't stand the Canucks or Luongo, but he does deserve the award.
Mikey Boy Posted - 04/15/2009 : 14:12:14
I agree with guest 9289. The MVP award is usually defined as the most valuable player to his team. And of those selections Parise is hands down the most valuable player.

MP
shazariahl Posted - 04/12/2009 : 01:09:32
The name most deserving of MVP is Mason, and he's not even on your list. Of course, you did name it who WILL win, not who SHOULD win, so I have to give you credit there. His numbers are amazing, but he'll get the Calder instead, which is too bad. He deserves both.
Thrasher Posted - 03/26/2009 : 15:54:12
1) Ovechkin
2) Parise
3) Malkin
4) Mason

Regardless of the other big players on Washington, he is far and away the favorite to win. Ovechkin excites the fans, the players, and makes people around him better. Not in the same way Crosby or Malkin do, but he takes the opposing players and makes them concentrate on him instead of their assignments. I would love to see Parise win it though, what a season he is having and who ever thought New Jersey could win without Marty for any extended period of time. This guy should seriously be considered. Malkin just because he was so many points and helped this late season push to get them back into the playoffs. I said Mason just because. He is doing extremely well, and given the Blue Jackets their first winning season in history.

Some may ask why Crosby is not included. Ovechkin has some good players around him, no doubt. But between Malkin and Crosby, two superstars, and it would be hard to choose one of them. When Crosby was injured, the Penguins went undefeated for those games, so Malkin became the obvious pick. Luongo has been injured this season, probably missed too many games to be considered. Chara should be seriously considered for the Norris, but he shouldn't be considered for the hart, not with all the other players on his team helping him. No one on Detroit should be considered in my opinion, because they could lose almost anyone to injury and still be fine.

I Promise I didn't give her the STD, I'm not a sharing person.
Guest6683 Posted - 03/26/2009 : 15:06:08
1. Ovechkin
2. Malkin
3. Luongo
4. Parise
Guest4271 Posted - 03/26/2009 : 06:10:58
I would have to pick Chara. Playing 25 - 30 minutes a game. Plays the power play, penality kills, plays against every teams best line. Plus it never hurts to play for a first placed team.
Guest9289 Posted - 03/26/2009 : 05:56:30
I would have to choose Parise for the following reasons.
Considering the team he plays with (lack of superstars), he's had a great year. He's a goal scorer, play maker and plays well in both ends of the ice. The other players had a great year too, but Malkin has Crosby, Ovechkin has Semin, Backstrom, Green, etc, Datsyuk has Zetterberg, Hossa, etc. Parise has Langenbrunner, Elias??? I mean they are good players, but not as good as the others. What im saying is he;s not as well surrounded as the other top 4 players in the league, therefore I would have to go with Parise, not just for his points, but also for his all around play and what he did for the team this year.
Guest9289 Posted - 03/26/2009 : 05:52:34
Who will be MVP ?

1. Malkin
2. Crosby
3. Ovechkin
4. Parise
5. Datsyuk

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page