Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Booing your own team?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 10/16/2009 : 07:03:32
I was reading another forum and this topic had come up. So I was thinking it would be interesting to see what everyone think about it.

Is it ever ok to boo the team you cheer for?
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gusteroni Posted - 11/10/2009 : 11:28:01
I can't imagine booing my favorite teams. To each his own but silence is my vindication. My sons hockey team sucked last year but I never booed his team, I told him his team wasn't playing well, he agreed and we tried to come up with answers to their slump...kinda like a coach should do. If my team has been playing like crap and the score is 5-0 and there's 7 minutes left in the third period and my team scores I don't cheer as they have not deserved it. For me I don't like to give the opposing teams fans anymore fire in their bellies than they already have, think how much they are laughing at your team when you are booing them.

"There are only two seasons in Canada...hockey season and not hockey season."
tbar Posted - 11/09/2009 : 13:25:48
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

The funny thing is, there is nothing stopping one from standing up in a restaurant and booing.....except class, manners and good taste. So the analogy is relevent.

Get my drift?

If you stand up and start booing in a resturant im sure you will be asked to leave promptly. It would be funny as hell thow.

So if you are unhappy with your teams performance how do you suppose you should go about letting them know without booing?

If you quit going to games your hurtig your team even more by the ticket sales going down (in a smaller market) and potentially making the team loose sponser's. Who sponser's a team with no fans? I have never seen the complaint booth at the rinks. I cant go to the GM and complain. So what am I to do if I feel the team is not up to par?
hockey88 Posted - 11/08/2009 : 11:19:24
I am a leaf fan from birth to death this year we got off to the worst start in history but we also started the season playing the first 8 games against the tough teams in the league during the 3rd period of the 5th game the so called fans let out an arena filling booooo that pissed me off cause even though the team played like crap and havn't won a game the frustration over the top The last thing a team wants to hear is there own fans telling them they suck. Thats what booing a team is or even a player is a noise for U SUCK. But what was also worse was fans left the arena that is even worse. DONT BOO your team cause ur only making it worse. but remember this the next time u boo your team i hope they all turn around and give u a big go F%$K yourself

shane baumhour
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 11/08/2009 : 10:36:53
The funny thing is, there is nothing stopping one from standing up in a restaurant and booing.....except class, manners and good taste. So the analogy is relevent.

Get my drift?
Beans15 Posted - 11/08/2009 : 08:37:14
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Mr. Moderator....aka Beans

Thank you for not repeating your ridiculous crap about meals and hockey games! You did however, fail to answer my question about the so called "die hard fan"? That's okay, i can disregard that. I will ease off on the comments about your lil' bro taking over your computer (btw, i love how you capitalized his nicname like i do) as per your request. I apologize, but those posts were so not like you.

Regardless, this is petty. I'm done with it. Whether a person boos or not is their choice. Whether you or anyone else considers them a fan is yours/their opinion. I can disagree, and i do.

To answer your question about "Die Hard Fan", I personally do not measure a fan by the same things. The difference between the guy who never misses a game on TV, goes to every autograph signing, etc and the guy who has all the memorabilia, does the charity work, etc is that one has money and time and the other doesn't.

It takes nothing away from my opinion that a true fan (regardless of money, time, number of jerseys, season tickets et al) never boos their team is the same. The guy who goes out and buys all the stuff and still boos???

Kind of a waste of money in my opinion.

And the restaurant vs hockey analogy is far from 'crap'.
The commonality of the two is that both cost a reasonable amount of money and both could leave you less than satisfied. I was drawing the parallel to similar outcomes (unsatisfied) with two completely different ways of expression.

Booing is an unacceptable reaction in all situations other than sport.

Why??
Alex116 Posted - 11/08/2009 : 01:41:15
Mr. Moderator....aka Beans

Thank you for not repeating your ridiculous crap about meals and hockey games! You did however, fail to answer my question about the so called "die hard fan"? That's okay, i can disregard that. I will ease off on the comments about your lil' bro taking over your computer (btw, i love how you capitalized his nicname like i do) as per your request. I apologize, but those posts were so not like you.

Regardless, this is petty. I'm done with it. Whether a person boos or not is their choice. Whether you or anyone else considers them a fan is yours/their opinion. I can disagree, and i do.
Beans15 Posted - 11/07/2009 : 15:49:34
Alex, I am not going to repeat the same arguement that I have already said. It won't change. You boo, I question you being a fan. You or anyone else for that matter.

And I would really appreciate if you could stop the Sprouts or Little Brother comments. If you don't agree with something I say, that's fine. Argue the point. But to make jabs at me being a kid or what ever you were trying to say, it's not welcome or needed.

Thanks
Alex116 Posted - 11/06/2009 : 21:36:00
Beans.....

First of all, i'm happy to see you have gotten your computer back from your lil' brother. Hopefully you've changed your password.

Second, I have to say, looking back, i can't even recall the last time i booed any of my favorite teams. I'm sure i've prob done it at some point but if i have, prob only 2 or 3 times? Regardless, if someone boo's, that's simply their right and i have absolutely no problem with it. Are they still a fan? In my world, yup, in Beansville, no, they're a wannabe? S'okay with me. That's your opinion. What do you call someone who's been a 20 year season ticket holder, owns memorabilia aplenty, goes to team functions where the public is allowed, participates in telethons for charity which the club is involved with, etc etc.? A fan i'd hope? Maybe even a die hard fan? Now, what if, during a brutal stretch of play by an underachieving team, they decide to boo? Oh, suddenly a wanna be? If that's your take, fine, but i'm glad this world of ours allows opinions cuz that somebody is still a diehard fan in my book.

Third, thanks for clearing up, or at least trying to clear up, what we "people are clearly missing". You continue to compare your meals out with a sporting event. If you, as you suggested, had a meal at your favorite restaurant that went sour (like you described), would you go back? I'm assuming most would and write it off to a bad night for the establishment. What if it happened 3 or 4 visits in a row? You'd prob bail on the place right? Well then, were you a fan, now a wannabe? See where i'm going with this? Your attempt at comparisons in this regard is pitiful.

Keep in mind, the booing you hear at a game is not necessarily directed at the entire team. It could be at management due to a bad trade? It could be at one particular player who's not playing up to par for an extended period (think Brisbois in Montreal)? It could be directed at a player for continually making mental errors (say, throwing the puck up the middle), although usually a coach will bench a guy for this? It could be at the coaching staff, etc, etc?

I'll never forget the interview with Derek Jeter, whilst in a major slump, where the interviewer asked him what he thought of the fans who were booing him? His reply "I'd boo me too...."

Regardless, to each their own. Beans, personally i don't care what you think of me as a sporting fan. In my eyes, i'm as much of a fan as the next guy.

Ah, i love a world with freedoms such as opinions

BTW, say hi to Sprouts for me........
Beans15 Posted - 11/06/2009 : 18:15:00
Here's the thing that people are clearly missing.

I go to a nice dinner in Edmonton, have an appy and martini, an entree and glass of wine, and a port or scotch to finish off and my wife and I are paying $100+. If it's not good, we don't boo. Make fools of ourselves and call people names or what ever, We kindly tell the manager of the location that we were not impressed with the dinner, articulated explain the issues, and more than likely would not be back.

How is that different than paying the brownie to go the Oilers game?? We'll ,I guess I can't talk to the manager directly. Other than that, everything else is the same. I was not happy.

But booing is still completely worthless, childless, and classless.

If you are a fan, you NEVER boo your team.

If you are a wanna be or fairweather fan, you boo your team.

Oh, and by the way, I have NEVER booed the Oilers, nor have I EVER left a game early. I have been to some blow outs, some by 5 or 6 goals too. Never

A fan is always a fan. A wanna be is always a wanna be.
Alex116 Posted - 11/06/2009 : 15:49:56
Tbar, you kidding me? You mean, if i pay $100 for a Canucks ticket, i can't just complain and get my money back if they play like horsebleep? How unfair.
tbar Posted - 11/06/2009 : 14:43:24
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

quote:

Brentrock, sorry dude, but if that first paragraph of yours wasn't painful enough to read, i had to go on and read about you booing your team because you feel they "let them get 2 more goals and let them back in the game"??? WTF? These things happen, however, i watched the game and i didn't see it as though they simply LET THEM tie it up. There's times when your team is playing poorly but unless it's a completely ridiculous period of time whereby they make mistake after mistake, jumping on them for a few bad mins of play is ridiculous. Also, was Kaberle's tying goal not an empty netter as well? Oh, they just LET him score? C'mon..... If you boo for that kind of thing, then i'm embarrassed to say i've booed my team before.

Beans, your points clearly can't be compared to booing your team. Really, do i boo a waiter, no, but i have complained about them or as the guest said, left a smaller tip (although i don't like to shortchange the chef if the meal was good as he's usually tipped out on the money i leave).

A cop? Well, no, but i'm not paying for an entertainment sort of product. Not to mention, i'm breaking the law, he's doing his job? How can i have a complaint? Besides, booing isn't what i'd like to do to most of the fed's who've pulled me over for speeding anyway!

The bagboy? Well, no, i'd prob either do it myself or wait while he learned his lesson and rebagged my milkduds? Again, i'm not paying for entertainment here, although, it could be if i wasn't in a rush?

Lemme ask you this. Do you cheer, clap, scream, hoot and hollar when you get good service / food while eating out? How about the cop who pulls you over? You ever clap for one? How about the cop who gives you a warning? Is it, "Thanks officer, i appreciate that"? Or is it clap, clap, clap, WOOHOO!!!! ?

As for the Dawg Pound guys, is it really any less embarrassing or motivational for players or staff of a team to have a no show in the stands (this guy's trying to get ALL fans on board) on a nationwide broadcast of NFL Monday Night Football?

I stand by my choice. Yes, i've booed before, but rarely. ONLY when i see an obvious lack of effort. The Canucks could lose 10-0 and i wouldn't boo if the effort was there but they were getting bad breaks. If they quit, and i've spent my hard earned money on a ticket, they'll hear me!

Complaing about your food being bad and booing are not related. One is a realistic and reasonable response, the other is a childish outcry of emotions.

Don't believe me?? Tell me where you work or go to school?? I'll come by and when you are having an off day, I will boo you in front of your co-works/classmates.

Then you can tell me if booing does anything positive or is anything other than childish.

Beans your killing me today with some of your posts. Sure Ill tell you where I work and my boss wont mnd either if you pay a $100 bucks to come and watch me work. And if you decide to boo me you decide to boo me your a paying fan its your right. Oh and show me the complaint department in a pro program where I can go and give my complaint like I can if I get bad food or a bad waitress at a resturant. Theyre are other steps I can take to get my problem resolved with a pro sports team im pretty much stuck with my voice.
Guest4803 Posted - 11/06/2009 : 10:16:38
You think it hurts these guys feelings getting booed? please theyre getting paid rediculous money to play a game...if there gliding around playing some uninspired hockey you dont think the coach is gonna yell at them ? he probably shouldnt though because thats not going to motivate his team instead he probably should just give them a pat on the back and stand their quitely. The same "Fans" that say they would never boo the team are the ones that get up and leave with 5 mins to go because there team is down by 2 goals.
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 11/06/2009 : 08:53:59
To all the posters who say it is okay to Boo and should be done because your are paying hard-earned money to watch these games;

BBBBOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! YOU GUYS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!COME ON GET IN THE GAME!!!!!!!!BBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Inspired yet? Motivated in a positive sense? Looking to improve because of it?

Didn't think so.

What about the other attendees who spend their hard-earned dollars to support their home town team and would never think of booing, should they have to listen to your negativity? Oh, yeah, they kinda have no choice do they, whereas you as the boo-er, do.

Save it for the tralier park, I'm sure the other beer-bellied rednecks, wearing mustard stained wife beaters and having equal aggrandized opinions on everything, will love it.
Alex116 Posted - 11/05/2009 : 21:07:31
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4803

I agree with you alex, it may just be that us canuck fans expect a lot out of our team, and when they are not playing up to their potential we let them know we dont approve, if they were to go out and play their hearts out and lose 5-0 then of course im not gonna boo them, but if theyre taking stupid penalties and playing sloppy im gonna let them know they need to get it going.

Yeah, well i guess if you boo them, you're childish too! Thanks, i'm not alone
Guest4803 Posted - 11/05/2009 : 13:19:48
I agree with you alex, it may just be that us canuck fans expect a lot out of our team, and when they are not playing up to their potential we let them know we dont approve, if they were to go out and play their hearts out and lose 5-0 then of course im not gonna boo them, but if theyre taking stupid penalties and playing sloppy im gonna let them know they need to get it going.
Alex116 Posted - 11/05/2009 : 12:15:33
Guest4803....Beans feels that if you simply say or do nothing, that's the best way to get your message across that you're unhappy. Some agree, some don't.

I don't boo my team ANY time they make a mistake or play bad, but if it's a constant thing throughout a homestand, then occasionally i boo. There's others who boo nightly even if it's only for one poor powerplay where they can't gain the zone. That's perhaps a little harsh.

Regardless, to each their own. If Beans considers what i do "childish", so be it. I will be okay
Alex116 Posted - 11/05/2009 : 11:21:47
OMG! Slozo, or any of the other moderators by any chance have Beans' phone number? I think someone has hacked into his computer and is responding to my post! He must have a 6 year old brother, i mean, read that last post, no freakin' way that's Beans?

Well, i guess i'm left to reply to Bean Sprouts (his lil' bro)....

Yo sprouts....first of all you, or maybe it was the real Beans, asked, and i quote " Do you boo the wait staff or kitchen staff at a restaurant if you don't get good service or food??"? NOW, you're telling me that "Complaing about your food being bad and booing are not related." WTF?

The second comment about coming to my place of work to boo me proves, without any doubt in my mind, that this post was not made by Beans. Just can't be. I mean, how silly would that be? Booing me, the owner of my own business, for a lackluster days work? Tell you what Sprouts, you wanna come watch me work and boo if i don't do well, cool, but like i do when i go to a hockey game, you gotta pay $100+ to watch me at my best. I can't compare bad food and booing, but you can compare watching me work, to a form of entertainment that people pay good money for? WTF?

Seriously Sprouts, your big bro's gonna be mad at you for this one. You've just made a Brentrock post look good. Wow, never thought that was possible.....

Unfortunately, i'm somewhat ashamed of myself for having responded to such rubbish.....
Guest4803 Posted - 11/05/2009 : 11:06:14
What do you conisder worse then? getting up and leaving the arena when your team is down by 3 goals or staying and letting them know that your not impressed by their play by booing them?
Beans15 Posted - 11/05/2009 : 11:00:29
quote:

Brentrock, sorry dude, but if that first paragraph of yours wasn't painful enough to read, i had to go on and read about you booing your team because you feel they "let them get 2 more goals and let them back in the game"??? WTF? These things happen, however, i watched the game and i didn't see it as though they simply LET THEM tie it up. There's times when your team is playing poorly but unless it's a completely ridiculous period of time whereby they make mistake after mistake, jumping on them for a few bad mins of play is ridiculous. Also, was Kaberle's tying goal not an empty netter as well? Oh, they just LET him score? C'mon..... If you boo for that kind of thing, then i'm embarrassed to say i've booed my team before.

Beans, your points clearly can't be compared to booing your team. Really, do i boo a waiter, no, but i have complained about them or as the guest said, left a smaller tip (although i don't like to shortchange the chef if the meal was good as he's usually tipped out on the money i leave).

A cop? Well, no, but i'm not paying for an entertainment sort of product. Not to mention, i'm breaking the law, he's doing his job? How can i have a complaint? Besides, booing isn't what i'd like to do to most of the fed's who've pulled me over for speeding anyway!

The bagboy? Well, no, i'd prob either do it myself or wait while he learned his lesson and rebagged my milkduds? Again, i'm not paying for entertainment here, although, it could be if i wasn't in a rush?

Lemme ask you this. Do you cheer, clap, scream, hoot and hollar when you get good service / food while eating out? How about the cop who pulls you over? You ever clap for one? How about the cop who gives you a warning? Is it, "Thanks officer, i appreciate that"? Or is it clap, clap, clap, WOOHOO!!!! ?

As for the Dawg Pound guys, is it really any less embarrassing or motivational for players or staff of a team to have a no show in the stands (this guy's trying to get ALL fans on board) on a nationwide broadcast of NFL Monday Night Football?

I stand by my choice. Yes, i've booed before, but rarely. ONLY when i see an obvious lack of effort. The Canucks could lose 10-0 and i wouldn't boo if the effort was there but they were getting bad breaks. If they quit, and i've spent my hard earned money on a ticket, they'll hear me!

Complaing about your food being bad and booing are not related. One is a realistic and reasonable response, the other is a childish outcry of emotions.

Don't believe me?? Tell me where you work or go to school?? I'll come by and when you are having an off day, I will boo you in front of your co-works/classmates.

Then you can tell me if booing does anything positive or is anything other than childish.
Alex116 Posted - 11/04/2009 : 13:56:39

brentrock2 Posted - 11/04/2009 : 12:31:41
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by brentrock2

Im going with yes. If my favorite team( Montreal) is doing so bad, i would probably boo them. If my team is doing bad then I would be mad so I would boo them. I suspect some of you guys would boo your team if your favorite team was doing badly.

I would probably cheer for the team thats playing against them if I were mad and if they are like down 4-0 after the first intermission.

In fact I started booing Montreal on Saturday against Toronto because they were up 4-2 after the second intermission and Montreal just let them get 2 more goals and let them back in the game so i booed them the 3rd period. Anyways as long as Montreal won in the shootout. haha leafs fans!!

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2

Well, there goes 20 seconds of my life i'll never get back. Why'd i even start to read that?

I really don't know what you are saying there?? Anyways it sounds like my reply is a piece of junk?

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2
Guest9838 Posted - 11/04/2009 : 10:33:07
If you don't get good service, you can tell the wait staff, and indicate so in the tip.

When you're caught speeding? that situation doesn't apply. But if a cop was sitting on his ass while cars were zipping by him well over the speed limit (therefore not doing his job), I'm sure a complaint could be given to his station.

If a bagboy were to overload a bag beyond it's reasonable capacity and then it ripped as he picked it up (thus not doing his job well), I'm sure you wouldn't be happy.

These situations above are more similar to the Leafs play of late.

I think silence would be incredible, agree with you there, that would be deadly. But I'm saying the response of booing is reasonable in a world where people are allowed to voice their opinions.

People cheer in good times, boo in bad... that's just a response. Those fans may not be as deep as you, but it doesn't make them hypocrites as fans. The fact that they'll still come to games after the 12th loss in 13 games shows they're trying to take the good with the bad.
Beans15 Posted - 11/04/2009 : 10:20:36
Do you boo the wait staff or kitchen staff at a restaurant if you don't get good service or food?? Do you boo the cop for pulling you over for speeding?? Do you boo the bag boy at Safeway when he drops you milkduds on the floor???

And I don't expect a guy to clap quietly when his team is playing like garbage. Silence is deadly. Take a page out of the Cleavland Dog Pound. They have a Horrible team and the fans who sit in the Dog Pound are saying they will not be in their seat for kick off. They will get to their seats a few minutes later.

That's awesome. Say nothing.

The biggest thing to me that makes the Booing crap is that the same people booing are the same people cheering when things are good. It's hipocritical to boo in bad times and cheer in good.

If you are a real fan of you team, you take the good and the bad.
Guest9838 Posted - 11/04/2009 : 10:12:22
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0997

I have to disagree with you guys. As a spectator/fan, booing a poor performance is a way of A)venting your frustration B)letting the team you're cheering they're not doing a good enough job or putting in enough effort. Fans don't have the ability to walk up to players after the game and calmly say: "guys, you know I'm behind you but that was a terrible game".

That being said, I don't believe that teams should be booed for just anything (i.e how fans got on Raycroft for letting in any goal), but I think some circumstances may call for it. Say for example your team has just let in the 7th/8th goal and don't seem to be playing like they care (I know the argument is of course they care, we don't know what they're thinking) but to a crowd who's come to the game the feeling has built over the course of the first 6/7 goals and this is the only way to let out those feelings.

I think it's a pretty natural response to the situation actually. It might seem a bit weird/creepy if people just cheered non stop for their team regardless of the outcome (lord knows where that pent of frustration would go). The next natural step after booing is fans not going to games.

I have to go back to this post and say this is reasonable. I mean this is a loaded question anyways. Is booing what classy people would do, of course not. But is it a way to release one's anger, of course. Booing is a response to negative stimulus. When someone punches you in the face for the 10th time you're going to want to punch back.

Take watching a game on TV, if you see your team lose it's 10th in a row, or blow a lead in the 3rd period, 9th inning or 4th quarter you get pissed off and probably curse, yell at the screen, and do all sorts of irrational things that sports fans do. you don't sit there quietly clapping as your team gets handed their shirts to them. If this hasn't happened to you you're either not that dedicated a fan or you're conveniently forgetting these moments on top of those high horses.

I know a lot of jacka$$es probably boo just to be the a-holes they are, but I'd say the majority of fans are just responding to their experience.

Guest0965 Posted - 11/04/2009 : 07:30:41
I said Yes, because WE pay hard earned cash to go see a great performance from your team...unless your're the Leafs, but they have kessel now so they got atleast SOMEone to cheer for
booing is also a wake up call...it can help the team going
Alex116 Posted - 11/03/2009 : 21:50:37
quote:
Originally posted by brentrock2

Im going with yes. If my favorite team( Montreal) is doing so bad, i would probably boo them. If my team is doing bad then I would be mad so I would boo them. I suspect some of you guys would boo your team if your favorite team was doing badly.

I would probably cheer for the team thats playing against them if I were mad and if they are like down 4-0 after the first intermission.

In fact I started booing Montreal on Saturday against Toronto because they were up 4-2 after the second intermission and Montreal just let them get 2 more goals and let them back in the game so i booed them the 3rd period. Anyways as long as Montreal won in the shootout. haha leafs fans!!

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2

Well, there goes 20 seconds of my life i'll never get back. Why'd i even start to read that?
brentrock2 Posted - 11/03/2009 : 17:04:20

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2
Guest6818 Posted - 11/03/2009 : 09:39:48
I also agree with flyguy with the sens logo. Montreal is the worst for this, when there winning they sing the gayest songs but when they loose and the fans are stupid about it, even the players hate you. Remember when Price had enough after that save. he hates you guys, yes he does and i wish he was anywhere else.
Guest6818 Posted - 11/03/2009 : 09:36:41
Booing is stupid and I cant stand it. Are they really your favourite team if you do this? this is like booing your best friend. Every time i hear some one boo their team i cut my wrists. Just kidding but something for you guys to think about
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 10/20/2009 : 18:42:33
Cant wait for the fans to start booing in the 1st and 2nd periods as well. For the most part the leafs are playing crappy and driving their fan base into the ground. Its hard to defend them right now.

A one goal game or a 2 goal game is nothing to boo at. A few blow out later, with what the fan were predicting for this team at the outset of the season, I'd say they may have a point. I think the fans are saying "get it fixed now"

BTW, I have never booed my own team. Could imagine a circumstance I would though.
sharksfan44 Posted - 10/20/2009 : 12:17:02
i was at the leafs vs rangers game this past saturday and for the most part of the 3rd period all the leaf fans were booing their team every time they touched the puck' and i mean EVERY leaf fan was booing. you could tell that it was not helping the leafs in any way. if anything it brought the leafs down even more. i don't think booing your own team is helpful at all
flyguy531 Posted - 10/20/2009 : 07:22:22
I think an, "Awwwe, come ON" is acceptable. But booing?? Totally classless. You don't have to clap for a team that plays like... well... Toronto. But you dont' have to boo them either. And for Montrealers, while I'm sure this falls on deaf ears, you also don't have to burn your own city to the ground, win OR lose.
tbar Posted - 10/20/2009 : 07:15:09
quote:
Originally posted by Porkchop73

Booing your team is a classless move and actually quite an ignorant thing to do. Not only does it make you look like an idiot but you are actually doing nothing to inspire your team.
Do you actually think the players don't know that they have just played a miserable game. Do you think they likely feel good about the effort they have put out if they just stunk up the ice. Of course not, the players want to put on good performance for their fans. Thats half the thrill for the players at the professional level, the fans.
I sat at the Leaf/Avalanche game and watched the morons start booing after the second goal, and watched the players as the boo birds rang out. They did not even react to it. However when the cheers went out you could catch different reactions from the players.
The best thing I could think of to put it in perspective. You are struggling to perform at your everyday job and not getting the desired results. You are already feeling crappy about and are under pressure to improve. Now everybody starts booing you at every task you are performing. You now feel worse and feel like kicking everyone in the teeth. In fact you think they are all idiots and that this is unacceptable.
So I ask, what makes it acceptable at the game?
Plus I consider it High Treason for fellow fan to boo their own team. Never ever jump off the bandwagon, stick with your team!

Well Porkchop when you start paying me to come and watch me work you would no longer be soliciting so you could boo me if you like.

Would I boo my team if they were playing like crap well I guess it depends on how the Bud Light was that night.
irvine Posted - 10/19/2009 : 18:14:56
I think, personally, that booing your own team is an absolute disgrace.

Would you turn on your own mother if she lost your sock in the dryer? :)
I highly doubt it.

But in all seriousness, I feel like by booing your own team (for playing poorly), is just like turning on them. Even if for that one moment. Imagine how your team feels? They certainly aren't going to play any better in than game, just because you are booing them. Infact, they may even stop all-togeather.

Irvine
n/a Posted - 10/16/2009 : 18:31:21
Is it ever "OK" . . . well, two answers:

Is it everyone's right to boo? Yes, most definitely if you paid for the ticket.

Do I think it is 'ok' to boo your team? No, I don't . . . and 99% of the time, I find it beyond counterproductive, as others here have said. You aren't going to get a positive response, so why would you want your team to fail even more miserably than before? It's not smart . . . we all know that there is somewhat of an effect on the players, no matter how much they might deny it after the game in an interview.

Besides, as a Leaf fan . . . those tickets are damn expensive, why waste them on boos?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Porkchop73 Posted - 10/16/2009 : 16:20:46
Booing your team is a classless move and actually quite an ignorant thing to do. Not only does it make you look like an idiot but you are actually doing nothing to inspire your team.
Do you actually think the players don't know that they have just played a miserable game. Do you think they likely feel good about the effort they have put out if they just stunk up the ice. Of course not, the players want to put on good performance for their fans. Thats half the thrill for the players at the professional level, the fans.
I sat at the Leaf/Avalanche game and watched the morons start booing after the second goal, and watched the players as the boo birds rang out. They did not even react to it. However when the cheers went out you could catch different reactions from the players.
The best thing I could think of to put it in perspective. You are struggling to perform at your everyday job and not getting the desired results. You are already feeling crappy about and are under pressure to improve. Now everybody starts booing you at every task you are performing. You now feel worse and feel like kicking everyone in the teeth. In fact you think they are all idiots and that this is unacceptable.
So I ask, what makes it acceptable at the game?
Plus I consider it High Treason for fellow fan to boo their own team. Never ever jump off the bandwagon, stick with your team!
Guest0997 Posted - 10/16/2009 : 15:40:09
I have to disagree with you guys. As a spectator/fan, booing a poor performance is a way of A)venting your frustration B)letting the team you're cheering they're not doing a good enough job or putting in enough effort. Fans don't have the ability to walk up to players after the game and calmly say: "guys, you know I'm behind you but that was a terrible game".

That being said, I don't believe that teams should be booed for just anything (i.e how fans got on Raycroft for letting in any goal), but I think some circumstances may call for it. Say for example your team has just let in the 7th/8th goal and don't seem to be playing like they care (I know the argument is of course they care, we don't know what they're thinking) but to a crowd who's come to the game the feeling has built over the course of the first 6/7 goals and this is the only way to let out those feelings.

I think it's a pretty natural response to the situation actually. It might seem a bit weird/creepy if people just cheered non stop for their team regardless of the outcome (lord knows where that pent of frustration would go). The next natural step after booing is fans not going to games.
Beans15 Posted - 10/16/2009 : 14:20:27
Fat Elvis has a way of saying things that just makes sense, doesn't it??

I'm on the same team. You NEVER boo your own team. Their players, their manager, their anything. That's your Team!!

For any of you who play hockey or any other sport. Do you boo the players you play beside??? Nope. You support those guys (or gals) through anything.

Why is your pro sport team any different??
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 10/16/2009 : 09:06:29
Sure....go ahead...stand up...cup your hands around your mouth and let rip with a big old BBOOOOO... for the home team, after the game though, be sure to go home and smack your Grandma, it's about as classy..

I can't understand why any hometown fans would boo their team. Do they really think it's a motivator? Do they think it's inspiring?

When the fans do that, it just makes the perception of the whole organization look that much worse, and the fans sound like the fair weather fans they are...
Guest4250 Posted - 10/16/2009 : 07:15:05
I would disagree. As a fan you are supporting a franchise, not specific players. If you are booing a player that is dragging their ass, it should be looked at as a wake up call to them. When fans boo, they are booing the representitives of that team, not the actual franchise itself (if you know what i mean.). If I don't like the prime minister of Canada, does that mean I'm against Canada??

food for thought.

S Powers

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page