Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Should teams get H1N1 vaccine?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
admin Posted - 11/09/2009 : 17:24:51
Should Canadian NHL teams be allowed access to the H1N1 flu vaccine before the general public?
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest6840 Posted - 11/15/2009 : 17:41:33
why should i care its not as bad as reg flu sure they are at higher risk but its no big deal.
Guest6003 Posted - 11/14/2009 : 13:15:10
quote:
Originally posted by umteman

Beans, while it may be true that being altheletes they may be able to fight off the flu better than most the fact that they travel to like three different cities every week means an infected player can spread H1N1 very widely in a short time, including to those at high risk of severe cases. For those reasons I say yes NHL, NBA, and NFL players should be required to get the vaccine.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"

In everthing I read the only people saying athletes are a high risk is team doctors specifically the leafs and raptors team doctor(can you say conflict of interest)

A lot of people travel I just came back from vegas. The health minster said ahtletes are not a high risk unless they are pregnant. The occasions where Ive got the flu ive gotten it from my children who got it from school.

Think a pyramid scheme well the teams travel alot. Out of the 300 or so kids my children go to school with. And what if those 300 kids have siblings and relatives. And then think if those now 1000 or so people travel or work in the health field who has a better chance of catching the flu. Also taking into acount that while teams may play in front of 18000 how many people do the the players actually come into contact in a day.

In addition if my children or someone elses children get the flu they die. Atheletes who get sick get immediate world class treatment and are fine in two to three days. And if travel was such a high risk wouldnt there be flights cancelled or screening of passengers. Most teams take charters and their expossure to general public is limited. People really have to use common sense..
Players have team doctors.
Tell a 2yr old or one yr old to wash their hands or to sneeze in the crook of their arms. Think the players can remember that.

I beleive calgary players feel bad but they got the shot before shortages were forecast I beleive and apologized kinda. The leafs on the other hand came out with that players are a high risk which again the health minster said they are not unless they are pregnant or in one of the risk groups.

What ever happenen to women and children first hate to be on a sinking ship with the MLS.
umteman Posted - 11/13/2009 : 09:46:13
Really? Every US state and Canadian Province? If so then I stand corrected. Guess I should pay more attention to the news, lol. I had seen two reports on H1N1 but those reports left me with the impression that it had hit hard in certain regions, Texas being one.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Beans15 Posted - 11/12/2009 : 19:37:19
What?? I would agree that the players could spread the virus, however there are already reported cases in every US state and Canadian Province. They can't speed up the spread of a virus that is already spread!!

C'mon. That would mean that every single person who had the potential to travel would be 'high risk.' Let's just all everyone 'high risk' and put those kids, seniors, and people will respiratory problems in huge jeopardy!!
umteman Posted - 11/12/2009 : 16:42:29
Beans, while it may be true that being altheletes they may be able to fight off the flu better than most the fact that they travel to like three different cities every week means an infected player can spread H1N1 very widely in a short time, including to those at high risk of severe cases. For those reasons I say yes NHL, NBA, and NFL players should be required to get the vaccine.

Beans15 Posted - 11/12/2009 : 12:39:49
Well, I have had a flu shot nearly every year of my life and never once have I paid for it. Maybe it's an Alberta thing???

I agree, it's the flu. And to most people, they will have the same reaction as you did. A few days and you are better. However, the 'normal' flu is not as impactful to the middle of the population, which is what makes this dangerous.

I am glad that you recovered. However, I personally know those who have either lost their life or came very close due to the H1N1 virus.

To say it's propoganda or a money grab by the drug companies else is less than responsible and pretty callous to those who have had significant impact in their lives because of this flu.

Hockey players should get the shot, but not at the expense of a real high risk person.
Guest4803 Posted - 11/12/2009 : 11:41:32
cmon beans, im not saying that the swine flu is a big hoax its a bad flu i have been through it myself, but after a few days of the usual flu like symptoms (some of which were definetly worse then usual) i was fine and back at work. The common flu will kill more people then the swine flu my doctor admitted to that, he was however very adament that anyone with a pre exsisting medical condition or under the age of 12 get the shot, which everyone has already been told. You have to admit the media has taken this story and ran with it i mean it does sell papers magazines etc. As far as hockey players having special privelages thats a joke, unless the fall under the category of being a high risk. If the make the H1n1 vaccine free like they have then why do they charge for the annual flu shot?
Guest0845 Posted - 11/11/2009 : 14:32:44
I'm not sure about other teams, but in Vancouver the team pays for priority for medical treatments like surgeries and such. This makes some people very angry, but I feel like the money they pay probably shortens wait times overall.

They aren't the only groups getting priority, but how many others are paying for their priority?
Guest4474 Posted - 11/11/2009 : 11:53:10
This was a definite pull of rank !! Not only should gov't employees be fired, team doctors/trainers (who inquired into the possibillity of hockey players/families "bullying or buying their way in front of anyone else, including much higher at risk candidates) We have no room for this sort of preferencial treatment to athletes in our society!!!
Porkchop73 Posted - 11/10/2009 : 17:21:29
Gentlemen, swine flu is very real.
My neighbour, a normal healthy 32 yr old man, had a simple cough one day and then the next he is on a ventilator in the hospital. He is recovering now but almost died due to complications from swine flu.
Yes the normal flu can do the same thing to generally the elderly and the wee tots. People who have poor immunity.
The swine flu has huge range of people it can affect, people who are normaly healthy.
Get your shot when you are eligible, the only way to control it is through vaccination! If you don't do it for yourself then do it for everyone around you. Do not be selfish.
As for the professional hockey players getting the shot ahead of people in the targeted groups, they should be ashamed. I am sure the 13 yr old boy from TO who died would have liked his vaccination early as well!
Alex116 Posted - 11/10/2009 : 14:40:17
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15
And what man with any kind of class would stand in a line in front of a kid or a senior to get a shot???

I dunno, but if i saw a guy doing that, i'd boo him! Hope you're okay with that one!
Beans15 Posted - 11/10/2009 : 14:16:51
My Aunt is a Doctor. My wife works in a clinic with 11 different doctors.

Every single one of them say that the swine flu IS worse than the regular flu in many ways. Most often, the flu kills very old and very young. The swine flu appears to have more effects on the middle of the population and specifically women between 30 and 40.

More people will die from the swine flu than any other flu this year because more people will get it. This is not propoganda. It's medical evidence and simple numbers. If 100,000 people get the flu on an average year and 2% of them die from it, what happens when 250,000 people get the flu???

And just because most people don't get the annual flu shot and the news doesn't cover that story doesn't mean anything.

Go get your flu shot, if not for yourself, for me. If you don't get it and get sick, I have to do your work for you.

The government paid for every dose of H1N1 vaccine. The Dr's get zero $ for endorsing the shot.

As far as the question at hand, people are confusing high risk with high probability.

High risk are those people who have a higher chance of serious complications or death from getting the flu.High probability are those who are more likely to get the flu based on the job the do or life they live.

Hockey players have a higher likelihood of getting the flu as they are sharing water bottles, travel more than most, etc. But that does not make them high risk of something bad happening to them if they do get sick. In fact, as pro athetes, one can assume the are in better health than the average person and are more able to fight off the flu.

And as much as we all love HNIC, hockey in not an essential service.

Kids, people with respiratory problems, medical/emergency workers. Those are the people who should get the shots.

And what man with any kind of class would stand in a line in front of a kid or a senior to get a shot???
Guest4096 Posted - 11/10/2009 : 13:38:26
So now sports fans are epidemiologists. I'm not, but I know that the immune compromised and elderly are the typical victims of the seasonal flu. Younger healthy people as well as the typical victims of the seasonal flu are potential victims for H1N1. This includes the age range of NHL players. They should get vaccinated when their turn comes around. This goes for everyone. If you get it; you have been spreading the bug to others days before you get sick (had symptoms).
Gusteroni Posted - 11/10/2009 : 10:28:08
Yep Slozo is on the same page as I am other that I voted no. Do NHLers get to jump the line every year for the regular flu vaccine? Probably not. If the vaccine isn't a farce (which I beleive it is, c'mon it's just a flu after all) then the kids and pregnant women should be first priority, people with underlying health conditions next and so on. NHL players and any other athletes as healthy as they are last.

"There are only two seasons in Canada...hockey season and not hockey season."
Guest2120 Posted - 11/10/2009 : 05:46:45
Here we go, sorry, ignore the last link

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canucks+seek+H1N1+vaccine+winger+Bernier+gets+like+symptoms/2188724/story.html
Guest2120 Posted - 11/10/2009 : 05:45:09
I don't think this is the original story, but it was in the Sun last week...

www.faceoff.com%2Fscripts%2FSP6Atom.aspx%3Fid%3D830270" target="_blank">http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/teams/vancouver-canucks/story.html?id=2188724&add_feed_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.faceoff.com%2Fscripts%2FSP6Atom.aspx%3Fid%3D830270
Alex116 Posted - 11/10/2009 : 00:57:22
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2120

Slozo nailed it. There's a new mass media scare every year.

West nile. SARS. Avian Flu. H1N1.

Combined, all four of these kill thousands less than the yearly flu virus does.

On another note, the Flames/Leafs are a victim of scheduling. The Canucks all visited a private health clinic in the US for their shots during thier last road trip. Flames had their shots at the same time, but did so in Canada. Which makes them evil. At least, I think that's the conclusion we're meant to draw?

Of course, as a Canucks fan, I already knew this.

Curious, i heard the Canucks were waiting till after this current road swing to get shots upon their return home? Not a big deal, just wondering where you heard this...?
Guest2120 Posted - 11/09/2009 : 20:59:56
Slozo nailed it. There's a new mass media scare every year.

West nile. SARS. Avian Flu. H1N1.

Combined, all four of these kill thousands less than the yearly flu virus does.

On another note, the Flames/Leafs are a victim of scheduling. The Canucks all visited a private health clinic in the US for their shots during thier last road trip. Flames had their shots at the same time, but did so in Canada. Which makes them evil. At least, I think that's the conclusion we're meant to draw?

Of course, as a Canucks fan, I already knew this.
Guest9494 Posted - 11/09/2009 : 20:44:29
NO, like the first comment these atheles are in peak fitness and health why do they get the vaccinne before kids that can actually die to me thats kinda sad an organization would do that and not just for the team there families taking all vaccines away. Look at edmonton there team is either injured or has the flu bug you don't see them stealing shots away just because there on a losing streak.
n/a Posted - 11/09/2009 : 18:58:47
My vote is for OTHER (I kindly ask admin to include this, as I feel it will get more than just my vote).

I don't think any teams should get the vaccine, because the vaccine is a bulls*** excuse for pharmaceutical companies to make money. That, and the fact that I don't believe they promote health in the slightest, I think the "supposed pandemic emergency" is bulls*** (the regular flu is more deadly than this swine flu . . . how come we haven't had a "pandemic emergency" declared every year?), and I think that this "scarcity ploy" is just that - a trick to convince the public to get the vaccine, when many are unsure of it.

Sports gets lots of publicity, and through that conduit a lot of us commoners are reached. Drink up, it's good for you!

I could go into more detail, but won't - this is a sports site, a hockey site. But to comment on the Calgary Flames (and now maybe the Leafs) situation about getting vaccinations "ahead of the line"?

It's meant to create demand.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
irvine Posted - 11/09/2009 : 18:49:08
I'm going to comment a little on this subject.

I do understand these players travel almost on a daily basis during hockey season, but I know plenty of others who travel nearly the same and were not offered their shot a head of others. ;)

My answer is NO, they should wait in line like every one else. How are men, as physically fit as NHL hockey players, more susceptible to a flu bug or any other disease, than your average American / Canadian.

Traveling to your local city market or school, you are as likely if not more likely to catch this disease now as you are boarding a private jet.

Children, elderly, those with weaker immune systems should be getting theirs before a Pro Athlete, who is in tip-top physical condition flying on private planes.

Sadly, money talks.

Irvine

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page