Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Greatest goalie ever?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
framer87 Posted - 12/03/2006 : 09:30:33
What goalie was the greatest to ever play the game?

Go pens

After hearing some of the later responses i edited out the two lowest vote receivers and added in Parent and Glenn Hall
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 03/16/2009 : 05:04:53
Hard to comment on the goalies I never saw live, but I'll say this about them: it sure seems like they had an even harder job back then compared to now.

Smaller pads, less padding, smaller sweaters, and no bloody mask for the real old ones. You truly had to be a madman back in the day to play goal. Full amount of respect to them.

To comment on the best goalie I've seen and whose career is now over - it's gotta be Roy. A money goaltender, when the chips were down and you needed that big save, he somehow came up with it. Played with flair and fire, and he'd be my #1 right now.

When Brodeur retires, however, it'll be real close . . . if Jersey does as well as I think they might do this year andpossibly next - it could be him in the end, but we'll have to wait and see.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
deadalive Posted - 03/16/2009 : 01:25:44
Pasty doessn't know goalies.
Old Dawg Posted - 03/15/2009 : 13:53:45
Although you have some of greats listed, my choice for the top 5 goalie of all time are:

1. Terry Sawchuk - amazing goalie and was able to win games on weak teams, he played thru many injuries.Outstanding records for many years of career wins and soon to lose shutout records.

2. Glen Hall - record of consectutive games played probably never to be broken. Even as a 40 year old goalie was one of the best of all time. He played on the expansion St. Louis Blues and led them to the Stanley Cup finals 5 times as a 40 year old. Amazing!!!!

3. Parick Roy - Though I'm not a fan of his as a Wife-Beater( he should of been in prison). He did carry the Canadien to a couple of Stanley Cup wins that they should of had no business of winning.

4 Marty Brodeur - One of the best of current crop of goalies. I admire him in his quest of the career wins and shutouts records. He may of had some good defenses in the past , but he has stole many games by himself.

5. Jacques Plante - Outstanding reflexes and the inventator that has probalby saved the lives of many goalie with the use of the mask.

Other mentionably are: Bernie Parent, Johnny Bower, Gump Worsley, Turk Broda, George Hainsworth.

Ken Dryden should not be on this list. He would be lucky to be mentioned in the Top 50 of all time.

Sorry but that is my opinion. Let's agree to disagree. thanks
umteman Posted - 03/15/2009 : 11:31:25
Grant Fuhr at least deserves the honor of being included in the poll.
brentrock2 Posted - 10/12/2008 : 16:32:43
Like I chose Martin Broduer because he is an awesome goalie and has alot of heart.
Guest2892 Posted - 10/12/2008 : 15:57:19
Wow, no love for Martin Brodeur at all here. The guy's going to set the career wins record at 36 years old. In case any of you guys have noticed, Stevens and Niedermeyer left years and years ago and still Marty keeps throwing up 35-45 wins a year. The "greatest" defensive system in generations is now anchored by Colin White for crying out loud. Give Brodeur just a little credit.

Sheesh! I thought all you Canadian guys were hockey-savvy. If Martin Brodeur played for the Lafs or the Habs, you clowns would elect him PM.
Guest4120 Posted - 09/29/2008 : 16:22:37
wtf u dont have osgood!!!!!!!!!!!]
Timay Posted - 06/04/2008 : 16:31:59
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8061

The only thing that Roy ever beat way his wife.... Hes a low life and dissapointment to society. The guy has talent but just a looser not top in my books.... Broduer is a solid tender with stats to follow. Plus hes Canadian

Yeah, unlike Roy who's a..... Quebecer?
Guest8061 Posted - 06/03/2008 : 10:14:00
The only thing that Roy ever beat way his wife.... Hes a low life and dissapointment to society. The guy has talent but just a looser not top in my books.... Broduer is a solid tender with stats to follow. Plus hes Canadian
I´m also Cånädiön Posted - 06/03/2008 : 06:06:58
He had a short career due to a car-accident but this guy is worth mentioning as a really good goalie: Pelle Lindbergh.

Not much info but if you are interested I´m sure there are more info on him in english elsewhere: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelle_Lindbergh
Pasty7 Posted - 05/27/2008 : 15:40:34
quote:
Originally posted by I´m also Cånädiön

1. Tretiak
2. Hasek
3. Roy

tretiak is one i could see the argument for as better than roy and also shawchuk but hasek?? top ten for sure but not much better than 9th or 8th

Pasty
I´m also Cånädiön Posted - 05/27/2008 : 13:16:39
1. Tretiak
2. Hasek
3. Roy
andyhack Posted - 05/27/2008 : 05:32:31
Not much time these days, but here goes one post anyway:

In my humbler than pecan pie opinion, Ken Dryden is not only NOT the greatest goalie ever, he isn't even in the top 7. His stats are his stats because of his tremendous good fortune of playing on the Habs in the '70s. It amazes me that people so readily say that Roy was helped so much by the supposed "greatness" of his teams and rarely go on about the WAY more real "greatness" of Kenny's teams in order to explain his incredible resume.

I mean, in my arguments in other threads about Roy's teams, let's at least agree on this - no matter how "great" some of you think Roy's teams were, matched up against any of the '70s Habs teams, EVEN with Andy Raycroft between the pipes instaead of Ken Dryden, the '70s Habs teams win fairly handily, maybe even complete sweeps.

Ken Dryden was a very good goalie and made some big contributions in his times. His stats are incredible. But if you don't say the above, you are not telling his whole story.
Axey Posted - 05/26/2008 : 18:30:58
Dryden, the guys numbers are amazing, he won cups 2/3 of his career, its just sick.
Guest6475 Posted - 05/26/2008 : 17:29:52
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

how can you put brodeur on this list?? he has done nothing these guys have done, he has been supported his entire career by the best defensive team of my generations, its ridiculous to even argue that marty has a place amoung the top 7 goalies all time at best,, terry and patrick are the only two you can fight it out for the number one spot.

Pasty

most shutouts
Pasty7 Posted - 05/25/2008 : 10:11:17
how can you put brodeur on this list?? he has done nothing these guys have done, he has been supported his entire career by the best defensive team of my generations, its ridiculous to even argue that marty has a place amoung the top 7 goalies all time at best,, terry and patrick are the only two you can fight it out for the number one spot.

Pasty
Guest4272 Posted - 05/23/2008 : 20:56:07
Gentlemen, this is a very good argument, but again agreeing with alot of the others who responded, it depends on who you grew up watching, and what era you saw them in. I'm biased to say that the goalies of the 60's and 70's were better becuase they didnt have the more larger & bulky equipment that the goaltenders of today have, They had to rely more on their arms legs and entire bodies to make difficult saves. The teams and the games were more physical back then, and the starting goalies played many more games.Growing up in the Philadelphia area, there was no bigger idol than Bernie Parent to me, but being a "HOCKEY" fan, I'd have to say Ken Dryden from what I saw. Yes he had a great team in front of him...as did Grant Fuhr, but he also made incredible clutch saves when he had to...in big games. Forget Patrick Roy...Dryden did it first and best
Guest4462 Posted - 09/25/2007 : 23:33:46

i'll never argue that he's not a great goalie... and yes, he certainly gave his team a chance to win on many nights and helped them thru a few playoff rounds... however... put him on a mediocre team and make him try and be the star night in and night out... and all you will see his his ego get bruised until he whines his way to a good team. Roy can't even carry Brodeur's jockstrap (or at least a half a dozen other great goalies)

quote:
Originally posted by andyhack

quote:
Originally posted by Guest2047

[quote][i]

HOW can ANYONE choose Roy. OMG. Take away the great teams in front of him, and he's brought back to reality. A good goalie.. A great goalie... but NOWHERE near the top list ever... or even top list in the last 20 years.

The '86 and '93 Habs were far from great teams. That's just the point. They were not anywhere near what you would call great teams, and yet they won the Cup. Like him or hate him, Roy was a HUGE part of those teams and that alone puts him in a conversation of the greatest ever in my opinion. As much as I like to say the Habs were VERY lucky those years (and they were by the way!), the key reason they won those Cups was one guy, pure and simple.

Think of it this way. Run through the Cup winning teams in the last 40 years and find teams that come even remotely close to the surprise wins of those Habs teams. You actually gotta go back to Dryden stopping the Orr-Espo Bruins in '71 I think. Before that maybe the '67 Leafs.

And, though those Avs teams were arguably great, Roy still came up VERY big several times for them too. I don't know if he is the greatest ever or not, but I would rate him ahead of Dryden, who, even though he has that great '71 run to his credit, still probably would be a better subject matter for your "take away the great teams" argument than Roy.

Of the goalies I have seen in the last 20 years, I'd rate Roy very highly. Not sure I can think of anyone higher actually. Certainly Hasek was incredible, but he never led his Buffalo teams to the Cup (close though in '99). I may have a tough time choosing between Roy and Hasek, and would consider Brodeur in the conversation too, but who else from the last 20 years is there? To me, you really gotta hate Roy to the point that you have lost your objectivity to say that he was not one of the best goalies of the last 20 years. Go watch tapes of some of those 1-0 or 2-1 Habs-Bruin playoff games from the late 80s, early 90s. Trust me. He (and Moog too by the way) were very, very good.

andyhack Posted - 09/24/2007 : 20:39:35
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2047

[quote][i]

HOW can ANYONE choose Roy. OMG. Take away the great teams in front of him, and he's brought back to reality. A good goalie.. A great goalie... but NOWHERE near the top list ever... or even top list in the last 20 years.

The '86 and '93 Habs were far from great teams. That's just the point. They were not anywhere near what you would call great teams, and yet they won the Cup. Like him or hate him, Roy was a HUGE part of those teams and that alone puts him in a conversation of the greatest ever in my opinion. As much as I like to say the Habs were VERY lucky those years (and they were by the way!), the key reason they won those Cups was one guy, pure and simple.

Think of it this way. Run through the Cup winning teams in the last 40 years and find teams that come even remotely close to the surprise wins of those Habs teams. You actually gotta go back to Dryden stopping the Orr-Espo Bruins in '71 I think. Before that maybe the '67 Leafs.

And, though those Avs teams were arguably great, Roy still came up VERY big several times for them too. I don't know if he is the greatest ever or not, but I would rate him ahead of Dryden, who, even though he has that great '71 run to his credit, still probably would be a better subject matter for your "take away the great teams" argument than Roy.

Of the goalies I have seen in the last 20 years, I'd rate Roy very highly. Not sure I can think of anyone higher actually. Certainly Hasek was incredible, but he never led his Buffalo teams to the Cup (close though in '99). I may have a tough time choosing between Roy and Hasek, and would consider Brodeur in the conversation too, but who else from the last 20 years is there? To me, you really gotta hate Roy to the point that you have lost your objectivity to say that he was not one of the best goalies of the last 20 years. Go watch tapes of some of those 1-0 or 2-1 Habs-Bruin playoff games from the late 80s, early 90s. Trust me. He (and Moog too by the way) were very, very good.

Guest2047 Posted - 09/24/2007 : 19:32:06
quote:
Originally posted by framer87

What goalie was the greatest to ever play the game?

Go pens

After hearing some of the later responses i edited out the two lowest vote receivers and added in Parent and Glenn Hall

willus3 Posted - 09/16/2007 : 09:40:33
Andy, you're about right I think regarding Sawchuk. A lot of people thought he was the best and rightly so. He was.
The reason I pick Hall though is this; He played 502 consecutive games( a record that will never be broken) and wasn't just average but actually outstanding. He has the most first team all star selections of any goalie and did that while competeing against Sawchuk and Plante?
So with Hall you had one of the best goalies and didn't have to worry about a less thn stellar backup goalie. Pretty hard to beat that.

Agreed about Parent too. If we were judging on "Peak" Bernie Parent is second to none.

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"
andyhack Posted - 09/16/2007 : 08:57:05
Having not seen him, I don't really know but when I was a kid, most of the older generation seemed to think Sawchuk was the best of the best. My guess is that six or seven out of ten hockey-crazy guys back in the 70s who had seen the greats of the 50s and 60s would have said Sawchuk. Willus, what do you think? I can't comment on Glenn Hall much either, but it sure sounds like he was one of the best anyway.

I think one thing we can do with this list though is eliminate a few names. I am not saying these guys were not great goalies, but Dryden, Cheevers and Tretiak to me should, in my humblest of humble opinions, be in a discussion about the "second tier" of great goalies, as opposed to this discussion.

Dryden has to be looked at in the context of playing behind one of the greatest defences/teams ever - maybe the greatest. Frankly, and I'll admit to saying this with a bit of Bruin-fan bitterness, the guy was somewhat lucky! Six cups in nine years -that's just disgusting! In my opinion, it speaks more to being at the right place at the right time than to any claim to the greatest of all time. Having said that, he was a very good goalie, and had some marvelous saves in his career.

Cheevers was, in my opinion, a bit overrated. Very good at times, sometimes at very important times, but calling him the best goalie ever would seem to put way too little emphasis on the consistency shown by a number of the other candidates. And Tretiak had some great moments (maybe he is the Sittler of goalies?), but it's hard for me to call him the greatest ever.

Of the modern guys, I'd take Roy over Hasek, because he really led some teams that maybe shouldn't have been anywhere near Cups to Cups - the '93 Habs in particular (and, just looking at the final two games of the final, Game 6 in particular, the 2001 final for the Avs). There were also a few Habs playoff (non-Cup years) where he was unbelievable. I remember a 70 shot game by the Bruins where they lost, for instance. For me, he gets the edge over Hasek, and we'll have to wait and see about Brodeur (but my gut feeling is that I'd rather have Roy).

Last comment. I wouldn't call him the best goalie ever, but perhaps the best goaltending years I have ever seen from a goalie were in the Cup years for Philly - Mr. Bernie Parent.
vancouber Posted - 09/14/2007 : 17:41:20
I took Sawchuck from the list but I really did think Turk Broda , Gump Worsley, Glen Hall, Billy Smith need consideration
Guest6916 Posted - 09/14/2007 : 12:29:11
LUONGO!
Guest8372 Posted - 09/14/2007 : 06:38:27
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4004

absolutely Terry!!!
I grew up watching Terry and then watched Roy and the others. Terry was by far the best when he was at his prime. He carried teams to winning the cup (The Leafs in '67). Roy never did that nor has Brodeur. Tretiak can't even be compared to any of these guys. He had one good tournament in '72. Hasek left weak teams to play with contenders and if Terry had that opportunity who knows how many cups he would have won.

I won't disagree with Sawchuk since I've never seen him play.

However having seen both Roy, Hasek and Brodeur play, I believe the statements above do not give these goalies any credit.

1. Roy carried the 86 and 93 team. He was phenomenal in those cup years before going to Colorado. There is no way that you can say that the 86 team was a powerhouse favorite.
2. Hasek was instrumental in Buffalo in taking them to the finals. Dallas only won because of Hull's kicked in goal. That goal is the equivalent to Maradona's hand of god.
3. Brodeur benefitted playing in front of a stout defensive team but he is so technically sound and athletic. Also, the NHL decided that Brodeur's puck handling skill was so awesome, that they had to change the rules so that he would not be too great of an advantage. He may have been shaky last year playoff but that's the worst I've ever seen him play.
4. Tretiak more than one good series. When the Russians came over to play against NHL teams, he was phenomenal. That goalies' duel against Dryden to a 3-3 draw was arguably the best goaltending duel ever.

My vote would go for Roy right now but in a 15 more years I might change it to Brodeur or Luongo depending on how they continue their careers.
willus3 Posted - 09/13/2007 : 19:43:56
Glen Hall is the greatest goalie of all time to me. If you don't know why I would say that you should do yourself a favour and look him up. If you still don't know why I'll explain.

For those that have said Tretiak there was a Czech at the time who was better. His name was Jiri Holecek. He was outstanding.

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"
Guest4004 Posted - 09/13/2007 : 14:29:27
absolutely Terry!!!
I grew up watching Terry and then watched Roy and the others. Terry was by far the best when he was at his prime. He carried teams to winning the cup (The Leafs in '67). Roy never did that nor has Brodeur. Tretiak can't even be compared to any of these guys. He had one good tournament in '72. Hasek left weak teams to play with contenders and if Terry had that opportunity who knows how many cups he would have won.
framer87 Posted - 12/18/2006 : 14:14:18
quote:
Originally posted by spearbelly

quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

I'm all about Terry Sawchuk. He was born in Winnipeg (where I'm from) so he had that hometown allure to me. This invited me to do some research on his career when I was a kid and I found some truly incredible stuff. He played through so many injuries over his career: 600+ stitches to his face from pucks, one of his arms was 2 inches shorter than the other because he broke it when he was 12 and it never properly healed, etc. He also played through severe mono, severe stress, untreated depression and the fact that he died from a "fight" with his teammate is so tragic.

He won 4 Cups, 3 Vezina's, the Calder and still holds the record for shutouts with 103. His record for wins stood for 30 years and while Brodeur is likely to surpass the shutout record, the fact that it is still standing after 35+ years with all the great names that have played since is truly incredible.

Good job BABLA.........It was his right arm that was 2 "s shorter(resulting from elbow surgery)........ALSO.......similar to CELINE DION's hubby....Sawchuk lived in constant pain.A herniated disk , arthritis , bone chips(left elbow) , and severed wrist tendons.He also lost 2 "s in height after a back operation.NUTS NO????...was named Rookie of the Year in 3 leagues(NHL of crs)....was a reflex goalie with less emphasis on angles,..
.....was toughest ,of his era , to beat one- on -one......and one of only 8 ALL TIME net dudes to have 4 shut outs in a playoff yr................Amazingly , he may never have strapped on the "pillows" had his older bro (a goaler) not died( at 17 ) allowing Terry's curiosity to take over.

Thats crazy

Go pens
spearbelly Posted - 12/18/2006 : 02:06:58
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

I'm all about Terry Sawchuk. He was born in Winnipeg (where I'm from) so he had that hometown allure to me. This invited me to do some research on his career when I was a kid and I found some truly incredible stuff. He played through so many injuries over his career: 600+ stitches to his face from pucks, one of his arms was 2 inches shorter than the other because he broke it when he was 12 and it never properly healed, etc. He also played through severe mono, severe stress, untreated depression and the fact that he died from a "fight" with his teammate is so tragic.

He won 4 Cups, 3 Vezina's, the Calder and still holds the record for shutouts with 103. His record for wins stood for 30 years and while Brodeur is likely to surpass the shutout record, the fact that it is still standing after 35+ years with all the great names that have played since is truly incredible.

Good job BABLA.........It was his right arm that was 2 "s shorter(resulting from elbow surgery)........ALSO.......similar to CELINE DION's hubby....Sawchuk lived in constant pain.A herniated disk , arthritis , bone chips(left elbow) , and severed wrist tendons.He also lost 2 "s in height after a back operation.NUTS NO????...was named Rookie of the Year in 3 leagues(NHL of crs)....was a reflex goalie with less emphasis on angles,..
.....was toughest ,of his era , to beat one- on -one......and one of only 8 ALL TIME net dudes to have 4 shut outs in a playoff yr................Amazingly , he may never have strapped on the "pillows" had his older bro (a goaler) not died( at 17 ) allowing Terry's curiosity to take over.
spearbelly Posted - 12/18/2006 : 01:25:34
[Terry Sawchuk......Brodeur runner up.
framer87 Posted - 12/12/2006 : 13:56:51
I think Roy is the best ever but if Brodeur can play a couple more years he could be right up there

Go pens
Trevman12 Posted - 12/04/2006 : 14:57:24
roy all the way
Mikhailova Posted - 12/04/2006 : 14:07:18
Vladislav Tretjak.

Hašek would be second.
framer87 Posted - 12/04/2006 : 14:06:31
Actually B-rett Sawchuk was there the whole time but nice try

Go pens
ultimatetitman Posted - 12/04/2006 : 13:24:43
Tretiak. He really was amazing, and well ahead of his time. There is so much of him in Roy, Brodeur, and even Hasek.

I was lucky enough to see him play live twice, and on TV numerous times. He's the guy you abslolutely hated because he was so good.

You can look up his stats, but here's one for you to ponder.

"He is the greatest goalie I've ever played against." Wayne Gretzky
Guest7418 Posted - 12/04/2006 : 12:38:45
Roy should win the 'Most overrated goalie ever' poll...
look at his stats w/o a stanley cup contender in front of him...
pathetic.
blade Posted - 12/04/2006 : 10:19:21
never got to see him play and it's tough to compare becuase his stats aren't readily available. My dad used to tell me how amazing he was though.

Anyone know where we can find his stats?

Guest4110 Posted - 12/04/2006 : 09:12:00
tretiak with no votes... you guys even know him??? He taught Roy all he did!
Guest4044 Posted - 12/03/2006 : 22:10:18
roy, purely based on stats.
bablaboushka Posted - 12/03/2006 : 20:28:36
Terry Sawchuk is there... I thought my post ^ would make that clear...?

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page