Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 NOW, who do you think will win the Stanley Cup?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Trevman12 Posted - 12/03/2006 : 09:49:36
I know that there was poll like this one at the start of the season, but now that we are a quarter of the way through, has your opinoin changed? Who do you think the Stanley cup champions will be?
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest4912 Posted - 05/01/2008 : 08:39:09
i am a man of my word CONGRATS hkalirah i tip my hat to you
hkalirah Posted - 04/09/2008 : 10:30:20
ahem...ahem...ahem....

I TOLD YOU SO!

Go Wings Go!
Guest4912 Posted - 01/16/2008 : 09:16:29
hey hklarai seems like the trashers handeld your beloved redwings 5-1 kiss them goodbye buddy cuz it will be just like every other year boom & bust.
Guest4912 Posted - 01/16/2008 : 09:10:17
GOD YES !!!! hossa nets a hattrick last night and kovalchuck picks up another assist. deadliest duo in the league absolutly sick.......nuf said
Guest4912 Posted - 01/15/2008 : 08:40:28
i would also that isint a bad bet either devils fanatic. i remember in 2003 when the devils won the cup they came out of no were to win the whole show i got teased to no end from my older brother who wrecked the house that night in celebration lol
Guest4912 Posted - 01/14/2008 : 09:04:05
kovalchuk picked it up to 37 goals thats 10 more than zetterburg wooooo wooo haha.........nuf said
Devils Fanatic Posted - 01/11/2008 : 11:15:54
I'm going to be different and say the Devils could get it.

Devils fan since the 85-86 season
hkalirah Posted - 01/11/2008 : 10:31:42
I'm reserving my response until after the season, when I'll either post an "I told you so", or a "congratulations".

Go Wings Go!
Guest4912 Posted - 01/08/2008 : 08:20:17
hey hkalirah, seems kovi hossa netted 5 more pionts the other night and kovi has extended his lead to 34 goals !!!! ya thats what i thought cant wait till there battaling in the playoffs.........nuf said
Guest6605 Posted - 01/04/2008 : 19:03:48
Vancouver Canucks!

Luongo all the way.
admin Posted - 01/04/2008 : 12:02:41
Hi hkalirah and Guest 4912. Love the passion fellas! But just a gentle reminder that we like to keep the personal shots out of it on our boards. Thanks!

4912, since you share your IP with others why don't you set up an account so we know it's you. You obviously are passionate about the game and not afraid to dive in with your opinions and insight. We'd love to have you as a member.

Finally, this forum is about who will win the stanley cup, so let's keep it on topic please!

Cheers!
SJSharks Posted - 01/03/2008 : 23:55:57
My Sharkies!!!!!!
irvine Posted - 12/21/2007 : 19:03:14
Allow me to lighten this forum up, by just saying this...

GO SENS GO! :P lol.

Irvine
Guest4912 Posted - 12/21/2007 : 09:40:15
how could you leave the oilers man they got some of the best talent out there injureis plauge them and gretskys gone thats no reasont to stop cheering ..........nuf said
hkalirah Posted - 12/21/2007 : 09:32:47
quote:
Here’s a list of the top duo’s.

Lecavalier/St. Louis 81 points
Zetteberg/Datsyuk 77 points
Crosby/Malkin 75 points
Heatley/Alfredson 74 points
Sundin Antropov 69 points
Kovalchuk/Hossa 66 points

If you factor in the same players with other duo’s like Richard/Lecavalier, Heatley/Spezza, Spezza/Alfredson, Holmstrom/Zetteberg, they’re all still better than Kovalchuk/Hossa.

That's a posting I made earlier in this thread. Where did I say Zetteberg/Datsyuk were the best? I said right now they're doing better than Kovalchuk/Hossa. I showed that there were a number of duo's who were better than Kovalchuk/Hossa.

If you're only reading what you want to read there's nothing I can do for you.

Secondly, learn to read, my name isn't hkalrirheekshjjn or whatever you make it out to be, It's HKalirah.

And lastly, I'm not a bandwagon jumper. I cheer for my team which is the Red Wings. I've been a fan of their's since I started watching hockey religiously in the mid to late 80's. Before that I was a casual fan and I cheered for Edmonton, because of Greztky.

I think Zetteberg and Datsyuk are both amazing players, but I'm not someone who discounts talent on other teams, and that includes Kovalchuk and Hossa. There's not doubt the two of them are high calibre players, however there are many players better than them in the league.

Go Wings Go!
Guest4912 Posted - 12/21/2007 : 09:06:57
this is a diffrent 4912 guest halaklara and before you said facts are every thing and then you said zetterburg and his main man are the best duo in the game because they have more points. this last post you just said there not even tho they have the most pionts. contridicting to say the least or are you a front runner for who ever is better. pretty easy to cheer for the players with the most pionts. before you say there the most inportant now you say the duo with less pionts is better get your s*** straight kid. so even tho there not the duo with the most points there better ? then even tho detriot has more wins over edmonton doesnt make them better accordoing to you. finnaly you see the light! ! see you knew all along that the oilers were better. Halakrlari your in OIL COUNTRY !!!!! your a clown man get your s*** straight kid. ............nuf said
hkalirah Posted - 12/21/2007 : 08:25:42
Oh I do think they're better than Kovi and Hossa for sure. They're younger, and neither of them are shoot-first guys. They're both playmakers who can put the puck in the net when it is called for.

In my opinion, Hossa is one of the more over-rated players in the league. I'm not saying I wouldn't want him on my team, but there's a hand ful of guys I'd take before him.

Kovalchuk is the epitomy of a hog. The guy will skate with the puck around the net waiting for a shot, even if a team mate is wide open.

Also, how am I ignorant when I see it stated right there that Guest4912 says Detroit will win the cup. You even said I would have no way of knowing more than one person has access to that account, so how does that make me ignorant?

Go Wings Go!
Guest4912 Posted - 12/21/2007 : 08:07:22
i have not backed off of ANY statement about an atlanta edmonton final what so ever.
complete ignorance on your part again.

you see, i am guest 4912, but so are a multitude of other people posting on the website from OUR SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!

the guest 4912 who said atlanta would face edmonton in the finals was somebody else, not me.

now, you had no way of knowing that, so i guess its not your fault. all of us emailing from this server are 4912 and there is no way around that.

now, i am quite sure that you said zett/dats are the best. and even if you did not say that, you said they were better than kov/hoss, and it was those two that i was comparing.

hkalirah Posted - 12/20/2007 : 08:51:46
I beg you to stop putting words in my mouth. I never said you didn’t know anything about hockey, I simply asked you to stop insulting me and show me how much you know.

You’re right, Datsyuk and Zetteberg do have Lidstrom feeding them the puck and that’s has something to do with their dominance this year. But I never said they were the best duo in the game.

Frankly I think Malkin/Crosby are the best duo in the game, with Alfredson/Heatley a close second.

As for comparing players. I have opinions on players. I personally believe that Garon is no improvement from Conklin. Edmonton’s had some goalies in the past that took them far into the playoffs and won them championships, including Ranford, Fuhr, and Joseph. Believing the Garon is the next in line to take them to the promised land is obsurd in my opinion.

I showed using stats why I’ve made my opinion. As for the number of games, did I not qualify my response by saying “Garon has played more games”?

Read carefully before you question others on what they’ve posted.

Oh and it’s nice of you to back off on the statement which started this whole discussion, the Atlanta vs. Edmonton final.

Go Wings Go!
Guest4912 Posted - 12/20/2007 : 08:10:29
i have nothing against the use of statistics in comparisons of players. all of the great did have great statistics and you were right in everything you said

what is stupid about the way you use statistics in your arguments is that you say one player is better than another based on trivial percentage amounts like 1 percent. you compare players who have played around 100 games to those who have played 25.

i didint say stats dont matter, i said their not everythign and they dont matter as much as YOU think they do!

now, you say i have no hockey knowledge either; blatant ignorance agian.

you say zetterberg and datsyuk are the best duo in the league, corect? and yet again, you based it solely on statistics and not any other hockey factors.(besides, zett/dats statistics are not THAT much better) maybe if kovie/hossa had a guy as great as lidstrom feeding them pucks on powerplays they would have even more points. maybe is they had a tomas holmstrom to put in THEIR rebounds they would have more points.

statistically theyre the best, but not by much.

clearly it is YOUU that has no hockey knowledge, and you are forced to compensate by reading off statistics to me and ignoring all other NHL hockey factors.

now, as for who will win the cup this year, i believe it is probably going to be detroit, if their goaltending can hold up. hasek and osgood are good now and have great defense in front of them.

atlanta and edmonton do have a chance to make the playoffs, but it will be very tough, a dogfight to be sure.
hkalirah Posted - 12/18/2007 : 11:17:15
As for the attendance issue. Detroit has been in the top 5 in NHL attendance for as long as I can remember. This year they’ve fallen to 10th so far. I don’t believe this has anything to do with their consistency.

Just because they’re not selling out doesn’t mean they don’t have a hell of a lot of fans at the games. Take a look at the ESPN attendance figures. Joe Louis Arena can fit 20,000 fans. That’s one of the largest arenas in the league.

The lack of sell outs this year has to do with the increase in ticket prices, as well as the point I mentioned above. The credit crunch in the states has hit so many people, including the well off, that going to a hockey game is no longer a priority. My opinion anyways.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2008

Go Wings Go!
hkalirah Posted - 12/18/2007 : 11:09:57
Okay, how many times has Garon played in the playoffs? If he's so good, how come he coudn't take any team to the playoffs?

Statistics is everything in Hockey, or any sport for that matter. Leadership is good, however if a good leader can't put the puck in the net, or stop the puck, you won't see him in the NHL for long. The great leaders like Messier, Orr, Yzerman, Sakic, etc had great statistics to go with their leadership skills.

How many teams in the NHL would have Garon as their #1? I can count them on one hand. Edmonton, Los Angeles, maybe Tampa Bay, although I think Holmqvist is better, perhaps St. Louis with thie injuries.

Congratulations, you have the only team in the league where a goalie’s winning percentage does not matter. I can just hear Kevin Lowe right now. “Garon’s couldn’t stop the puck if it was the size of a basketball, but he’s great in the dressing room, so we keep in around”.

Atleast I've proven I have some hockey knowledge. All you've been doing is insulting me, but backing it up with nothing.

I don’t claim to know everything there is about hockey. However statistics do not lie.

The person who is ignorant is the one who can’t see that Edmonton does not have a playoff calibre team this year.

As for past glory, I never said Kovalchuk and Hossa weren’t good players. I simply stated that they’re not the best duo in the league. Read my posts again.

Go Wings Go!
Guest4912 Posted - 12/18/2007 : 09:15:12
hkalirah you are ignorant. you compare two players based solely on mathematical statistics and ignore all other factors of the game. stats tell some of the story not all of it. you have very limited knowledge of the game and of hockey history so you have to use stats to prove your point. garon is better than conklin regardless of winning percentage or s*** like that. wake up.
Guest9168 Posted - 12/15/2007 : 13:26:15
detroit
Antroman Posted - 12/15/2007 : 08:50:18
It is good to see there is a little trashing going on between you Detroit guys and Oiler guys. The reference to the city of Detroit being poor and fans not able to support the team financially is for the most part inaccurate. Yes, there is a large area in Detroit harboring the poor but the overall area is quite well off in comparison. The Wings also have a very large fan base in South West Ontario to draw from. I believe the Wing's attendance problems are basically caused by the fact that Detroit has had a very good team for many years now and recently captured three Stanley Cups. What I am saying is the team has peaked over the last number of years and winning has just become somewhat expected and the fringe fans who jumped on the bandwagon as they rose to prominence are now still fans but are somewhat indifferent to spending their money attending the games. The best comparison I can make is the Bluejays rise to winning the World Series in '92 and '93. After the buildup and euphoria to the winning of those championships died down all there was left were the die hard ball fans and the attendance dropped dramatically. I think the fans are still there in Hockey Town but winning has just bred a bit of malais. Old addage, you need to get down to get up and sometimes when you are as good as Detroit has been for such a long time then winning does get boring, believe it or not?
Guest5014 Posted - 12/15/2007 : 07:14:02
Canucks all the way. Luongo is just too good.
Guest9877 Posted - 12/15/2007 : 06:48:04
The Ducks won't win the presidents trophy, but to do well in the playoffs teams need good D and good special teams and the ducks have the best of both and you also need a good Goalie which the ducks have too..
hkalirah Posted - 12/14/2007 : 23:10:44
I'll qualify all this by saying that I don't hate the Oilers. In fact, I like the city of Edmonton.

After they beat the Wings in 05-06, I was actually hoping they would win the cup and bring it back to Canada.

But the logic in me says that their team is not good enough to be in the so called "Atlanta vs. Edmonton" finals.

Go Wings Go!
hkalirah Posted - 12/14/2007 : 23:07:57
Take a look at your stats again. Carrer wise, Conklin has a better winning percentage, a better GAA, and a slightly lower save pct. But I will say that Garon has played more games.

I did say Garon is have a pretty good year if you didn't read that before.

Now answer this. On how many teams in the NHL would Garon be the #1? I can probably count them on one hand.

Carrer Backup, given a shot at #1 on a weak team.

Go Wings Go!
Ottawa Oilers Posted - 12/14/2007 : 19:51:37
quote:
Originally posted by hkalirah

Firstly, yes Detroit did lose, I didn't get to watch the game because I live in Toronto, and we don't get too many Detroit games here.

Too bad for you guys that there's no shootout in the playoffs huh?

My Rebuttal

Obviously your just trash talking, and you haven't done your research.

In the 19 games Roloson played for the Oilers in 05-06, he had a save pct of .905. His GAA was 2.42, one of the best in the league.

In the playoffs that year, save pct was .927 and GAA was 2.33.

This year he's at .899 (tied for 33rd in the league) & 3.15 (tied for 41st). Hardly that of a superstar goalie which you make him out to be.

Garon is having a good year, but he's a career backup. I think you would have been better off with Ty Conklin in net.

As for the empty seats, Detroit is a blue collar city, a nice way of saying it's the Ghetto. Don't know if you've ever been there but it's the kind of place you don't want to be caught alone in after dark. With that said, the majority of the 4 million or so people in the Greater Detroit Area are the following:

1. Not Hockey fans. Baseball, Football, and Basketball come first.
2. Can't afford tickets. Hell some of them can't even afford to put food on the table. Ever watched 8 mile?

With that said, the amount of people in the seats is one thing, however the banners hanging on the ceiling is another.

New Jersey never sells out, I don't even know why they have a team, but can you argue with success? Detroit is in the same boat.

BTW, you're not in Oil Country............

YOU'RE IN HOCKEYTOWN!

Go Wings Go!

Correct me if I read this wrong but if you are telling me that Conklin is better than Garon, here's what I got to say:

Last year Garon's stats were 13-20-6, ON A BAD TEAM! also he had a .907 SV% and a 2.66 GAA AGAIN ON A BAD TEAM! He faced 849 shots in only 32 games and had only had 79 GA, he also averaged about 25-26 shots a game and let in about 2-3 goals a game, not too shabby in my books. REMEMBER ALL THIS ON A BAD TEAM! Also LA had the 4th most goals against and the 21st most goals for so Garon was left "winning" most of the games for his team FINALLY ON A BAD TEAM!

Now Conklin, last year he played 5 games and had a 1-2 record with a 3.44 GAA and a .892 SV% ON A GOOD TEAM! He also had 120 shots against with 13 GA AGAIN ON A GOOD TEAM! Buffalo had the 13th most goals against and Buffalo had the most GF, that means if Conklin was playing bad the offense could bail him out or since there defense was stronger than LA's he would have a much easier game than Garon. REMEMBER ON A GOOD TEAM!

Currently:

Garon has a record of 8-5-1 and a GAA of 2.61 and a SV% of .906. He is also one of the best goalies in the shootout, 15 for 16 and has helped the Oilers to 5 shootout wins. The Oilers also has the 5th most GA and only 2.46 goals/game (24th) so again Garon is mostly winning the games for his team, so it is not a fair judgment to say that Garon is a "career backup" when most of his career he has been put in bad situations with the weaker teams and had to pull the load. Also this year I think he has broken out of the "backup" position and in my mind taken over the #1 job in E-Town.

One final not on Garon, "This kid probably has some of the quickest legs in the NHL... It is nearly impossible to beat him on the ice." -Ray Ferraro

Welcome To E-Town
Guest0258 Posted - 12/14/2007 : 18:24:32
Detroit they have a well balance offense,one of the best defense squad in the league, they are good enough in the net and they have a great coach but most important the players are all pushing in the same direction.
hkalirah Posted - 12/14/2007 : 15:47:29
Firstly, yes Detroit did lose, I didn't get to watch the game because I live in Toronto, and we don't get too many Detroit games here.

Too bad for you guys that there's no shootout in the playoffs huh?

My Rebuttal

Obviously your just trash talking, and you haven't done your research.

In the 19 games Roloson played for the Oilers in 05-06, he had a save pct of .905. His GAA was 2.42, one of the best in the league.

In the playoffs that year, save pct was .927 and GAA was 2.33.

This year he's at .899 (tied for 33rd in the league) & 3.15 (tied for 41st). Hardly that of a superstar goalie which you make him out to be.

Garon is having a good year, but he's a career backup. I think you would have been better off with Ty Conklin in net.

As for the empty seats, Detroit is a blue collar city, a nice way of saying it's the Ghetto. Don't know if you've ever been there but it's the kind of place you don't want to be caught alone in after dark. With that said, the majority of the 4 million or so people in the Greater Detroit Area are the following:

1. Not Hockey fans. Baseball, Football, and Basketball come first.
2. Can't afford tickets. Hell some of them can't even afford to put food on the table. Ever watched 8 mile?

With that said, the amount of people in the seats is one thing, however the banners hanging on the ceiling is another.

New Jersey never sells out, I don't even know why they have a team, but can you argue with success? Detroit is in the same boat.

BTW, you're not in Oil Country............

YOU'RE IN HOCKEYTOWN!

Go Wings Go!
Guest8489 Posted - 12/14/2007 : 14:54:09
Ya that was an awesome game, especially the shootout when i cheered up a storm. And hkalirah you are right roloson isnt the same as that year in the playoffs, he is better and the oilers also have garon to switch off with roloson. The Oilers just snapped Detroit's winning streak boo ya. Also Detroit's fans are brutal. There was tons of empty seats at the game last night compared to Edmonton where it is loaded on a nightly basis and Edmonton population is way smaller. This shows how many oilers fans there are around. And..................................................YOU'RE IN OIL COUNTRY
Guest4912 Posted - 12/14/2007 : 08:10:02
i dont wanna be a jerk ..........but it seems to me the oilers beat the wings last night haliklara..haha just kidding it was a good game .......nuf said
Guest4912 Posted - 12/13/2007 : 10:03:27
thats fine if you disagree with me haliklari, were all entitled to our own opinion..........nuf said
hkalirah Posted - 12/13/2007 : 09:18:38
You’re right, the Oilers did beat the wings that year, but that year they had players named Pronger and Smyth on the team.

They showed heart and grit and made it to the finals that year, and deservedly so. However that was then and this is now. The Oilers are a very different team. Roloson is not the same goalie he was when they beat the wings. They have some very good young players in Horcoff, Hemsky, Penner, Gagner and Cogliano. But for you to think that they’re going to win the cup this year is a bit obsurd.

Edmonton and Atlanta have combined for 4 playoff appearances since 2000-2001.

Detroit has not missed the playoffs since 1989-1990, that’s 16 full seasons ago. Since then they’ve also won 3 cups.

Under the logic you and Beans are using (any team can win), I’m predicting a Washington vs. Phoenix final.

As for your Kovalchuk/Hossa comments, they’re still not the best duo in the league. They’re still behind Zetteberg/Datsyuk in combined points. Heatley/Spezza each had 3 points last night, Alfredson had 1. So my calculations show that they’re still behind.

I’d take Heatley/Spezza on my team over Kovalchuk/Hossa anyday.

I commend you for staying true to your team, however I disagree with you. Even Leafs fans can say that they’re team is not good enough to win the cup. I say you do the same.

Go Wings Go!
Guest4912 Posted - 12/13/2007 : 08:30:25
The detroit "dead things" are a good candidate for finishing last in thier division hahaha ......nuf said
Guest4912 Posted - 12/13/2007 : 08:24:16
i dont care if you little bitches dont stop crying, cuz i know the oil will make the playoffs. Oh and about kovalchuck he ripped home # 24 last night on the power play, after knee on knee contact no less, pretty sure that he is extending his lead on "zetterburg", his main man hossa netting 2 more points. starting to see my piont here. hossa a hundred points last year no big deal, and your precious zetterberg- picking up 68 points, thats 32 more points if my math is correct,

year after year the wings are a powerhouse. however, the last few years they have been blessed with three horrible teams in their division, which is like 24 free victories right there (st. louis, columbus, and chicago). now, those teams are good this year and the wings are still succeeding. but the dead things can not get the cup. they boom in the regular season and bust in the playoffs, except last year, but they should have done better in the conference finals. if there as good as you say there are.

2006 8th place oilers 1st place team - detroit

preety sure i watched the 8 th place team take on the 1st place team with the oilers handling detroit in 6 games giving the "dead things" the most historic a$$ kicking in edmonton history. like i said early boom and bust goin in first to losing to the 8th place team. classic example of a overconfidant presidents trophy winning team choking in the first round............nuf said
Alex Posted - 12/12/2007 : 12:48:50
http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3171&results=1

Habs get number 25 this year
OILINONTARIO Posted - 12/12/2007 : 11:07:13
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

quote:
Originally posted by Guest4912

you complete your lego building finnaly. i think i hear your mom calling you for dinner give it up buddy your team aint gunna make it and the oilers and atlanta will. give it up alredy, cry later when the wings dont make it...................nuf said

You've said "nuf said" countless times now. It'd be great if you meant it...

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore

Well put. This guest is starting to make ME doubt what my signature says.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page