Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Which NHL team has been the biggest surprise?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
admin Posted - 11/16/2009 : 11:03:48
We're a quarter of the way into the current NHL season. Which team has been the biggest surprise so far?
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 11/28/2009 : 11:04:44
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4379

I just wanted to respond to that one person and say that Buffalo actually sucks. They'll drop like a stone in the standings... you'll see.

Do you have any fact to back your opinion? I for one think Buffalo has a top five goalie and probably the most disiplined team in the league. They just dont have a lot of star power on their team. They are like Edmonton out of the mid 90's, they develop the talent and other teams steal them come free agency.
Guest4379 Posted - 11/28/2009 : 06:09:05
I just wanted to respond to that one person and say that Buffalo actually sucks. They'll drop like a stone in the standings... you'll see.
Alex116 Posted - 11/21/2009 : 11:15:02
Kirby....you in the right thread? I didn't think so....

Irvine... No one said anything about it having to be "outrageous"? You just listed 6 things which could qualify as "surprises" thus far. That's all the poll was asking for. It did say "biggest surprise so far". I chose Carolina, but i really don't think for a second that they're not gonna improve on their poor start...
irvine Posted - 11/21/2009 : 00:17:00
I would have to say my overall biggest surprise at this point in the season is, well, nothing in particular. :P

A few things come to mind though as being a little off, but I do not see anything outrageous as of yet.

A few surprises:

* Anaheim (Last in West)
* Red Wings (Terrible start)
* Coyotes (All the controversy surrounding this team, they seem to be feeding positivly off of it)
* Sabers success (Millers success, perhaps)
* Amount of superstar injuries (One down after another)
* Nittymakki (The return of a once decent goaltender?)

So yeah, there is a few things that are perhaps not what were expected. But it's only one quarter in to the season, and most of these things will likely change to what was expected. However, as I previously mentioned. I don't think anything really grabs me, and makes me say "WOW", I wasn't expecting that.

Plenty of little things, but nothing major for surprises yet.

Irvine
Kirby Posted - 11/20/2009 : 22:11:35
quote:
Originally posted by just1n

Yeah, considering Carolina made it to the conference finals last year, it's a little more surprising how bad they've been. They finally just ended a 14 game winless streak - not in the best way either, they blew a 3 goal lead but won in a shootout. Ugh.

Atlanta has been decent for sure, and I'm surprised by the Isles a little bit. Looking thru their roster at the beginning of the year, they seem to have barely anyone but have picked it up. Need to cut back on the OT/SO losses though.

Toronto blew the 3 goal lead. Carolina came back from it then went behind again and then scored with 2 seconds left. So definatley not the worst way either. The only bad thing was they had to use the phantom high stick penalty for one of their goals

I skate where the puck is going to be, not where it has been.-Wayne Gretzky
Guest8835 Posted - 11/20/2009 : 07:51:03
was going to vote carolina, but i missed and hit islanders =
at any rate, i also dont see colorado maintaining their current pace. however, their start was strong enough that they should be able to snag a bubble spot in the playoffs, and considering their preseason projections, they should be damn happy with that.
Guest5269 Posted - 11/19/2009 : 13:51:35
Why hasn't anyone noticed the Coyotes lately. After a summer of distress, they were expected to tank the season and go over the same legal issue next year. If the playoffs started today, they would be in. Yes, they would be in 8th place, but it would drastically improve their fan base if the team was competitive.
Alex116 Posted - 11/19/2009 : 08:52:25
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8559

What about LA Kings and Kopitar who is leading the NHL in points. I never really heard of him until this year.

You serious? You've "never really heard of him" till this year? Where've you been? The kid had a 20 goal / 61 point rookie season (in just 72 games). He went on to post 32 goals and 77 points the following year, dropped slightly to 66 points in year 3 and now sits in the scoring lead early in season 4. Isn't it 4th year players who often have breakout seasons? This really shouldn't be such a huge surprise. I think where people are surprised is the fact he's leading the league but lets not forget, Ovie, Geno and even Gabby would prob be ahead of them if not for injuries. I certainly don't think he's gonna win the Art Ross, but i guess you never know?

I just can't see how he could be a bigger surprise than some of the other things lised and discussed.
Guest8559 Posted - 11/19/2009 : 04:31:40
What about LA Kings and Kopitar who is leading the NHL in points. I never really heard of him until this year.
Guest6851 Posted - 11/18/2009 : 19:53:32
I voted for St Lou for exactly the opposite suprise! Being the best team in what, the last 1/2 of last season and being one of the worst so far............big SUPRISE!!! Looks like only 2 % win.
And yes if I was to vote the other way, hands down Atlanta........GO EV!!!!!!!
Guest9163 Posted - 11/18/2009 : 17:03:42
I can't believe Buffalo isn't a choice in this poll. They have gotten off to a tremendous start, and don't think many people had expected them to do this well. They're getting great goaltending from Ryan Miller, and Tyler Myers has been excellent. Carolina has also surprised me.
Mikey Boy Posted - 11/18/2009 : 13:48:10
no doubt Colorado. However i took Paul Stastny pretty early our draft cause i figure, if healthy he could get up to 85 pts. Anderson huge surprise. Matt Duchene will be around for awhile. Colorado makes the playoffs this year!

MP
Guest6840 Posted - 11/17/2009 : 19:13:06
before i said carolina but toronto actually winning a game is a surprise. (Buffalo played well 2 years ago so they are going to play well again.)
Gusteroni Posted - 11/17/2009 : 10:28:42
I had to vote Colorado as they were projected to be in the western basement all season by some of the top sports celebs out there. I never thought Anderson would be able to pull off the starter postion and so far so good for him. Still 3/4 of a season though and the answers on this post could change. I'll change my answer when the Leafs go on a 50 game winning streak to make the playoffs!!!

"There are only two seasons in Canada...hockey season and not hockey season."
just1n Posted - 11/17/2009 : 09:41:54
Yeah Buffalo is doing really well, I guess I don't read much press about them out here since I barely know of anyone in their lineup and Ryan Miller is quietly playing well obviously. I'm not sure how Tim Thomas is doing this year, but Miller has got to be the front runner to start for the USA in the Olympics...
Guest4986 Posted - 11/17/2009 : 09:10:43
I can't believe Buffalo isn't in the choices!?!? For me, it's incredibly obvious their the most suprising team now. Nobody expected them to be THAT good, they are not even supposed to be in the post season activities.
Tiller33 Posted - 11/16/2009 : 19:58:25
I agree with carolina but they have had some vicious injuries at one point ward, staal, whitney and jokkinen were all out of the line up.
Guest6840 Posted - 11/16/2009 : 18:19:54
Colorado was going to pick it up some time, and really has good players who hasn't been playing the best so not the biggest surprise, Carolina on the other hand has eric stall and one of the best goalies in the league (who is now injured) Carolina Surprise #1....
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 11/16/2009 : 12:15:19
Biggest for me HAS to be Carolina. Never would've suspected a losing streak THAT long. Definitly hurt my pool as Ward is one of my goalies.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
just1n Posted - 11/16/2009 : 11:43:31
Yeah, considering Carolina made it to the conference finals last year, it's a little more surprising how bad they've been. They finally just ended a 14 game winless streak - not in the best way either, they blew a 3 goal lead but won in a shootout. Ugh.

Atlanta has been decent for sure, and I'm surprised by the Isles a little bit. Looking thru their roster at the beginning of the year, they seem to have barely anyone but have picked it up. Need to cut back on the OT/SO losses though.
Alex116 Posted - 11/16/2009 : 11:13:09
I voted for Carolina. As much as Colorado has shocked the hockey world with their very nice start, i find it more surprising to see a team i figured was destined to be a playoff team, struggle this much!

Colorado would be my next pick, although i do see them coming back to earth a little and personally, i don't think they can keep up the pace they had early.

The other team would be Atlanta. Very good record and let's not forget that Kovalchuk was out for a few weeks too!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page