Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 You're Russia's Head Coach - Who's in net?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 11/18/2009 : 13:59:36
Title says it all. NHL.com puts them up like this:

1st Nabokov
2nd Bryzgalov
Bench Warmer Khabibulin

Do you agree with this? Who is your ideal starter for a team who's biggest weakness is arguably thier Defense? Why?

Keep in mind I'm not asking who you think Russia will choose. I want to know who YOU would choose.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex116 Posted - 11/25/2009 : 22:40:03
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4196

pretty sure Nabokov CANT start for Russia cuz he's Khazak ... this is just for the Olympics and he's available for other big tourneys like the World Cup... anyone remember the World Cup?

I recalled this the other day and looked it up as i thought Nabokov played for Russia in Turin? He can in fact play for Russia and has before... Here's what i found....

from wikipedia: While he is a Russian citizen, he was previously denied permission by the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) to play for Russia, because he had played for Kazakhstan as a 19-year-old in the 1994 World Championships. In 2005, Nabokov was granted permission to play for Russia in the IIHF World Championships, but declined. Nabokov had tried to gain the IIHF's permission to play for Russia at the 2002 Winter Olympics, but failed as there were regulations in place forbidding players from representing two different countries.[9] He was finally allowed to play for Russia in the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy, after being given an exemption by the IIHF,[10] and was named to the Russian team for the 2008 World Championships [11]. During the 2008 World Championships he posted back-to-back shut-outs before defeating Canada 5-4 in the Gold Medal game. Team Russia won the 2008 IIHF World Championships, earning Nabokov his first gold medal.

Guest4196 Posted - 11/25/2009 : 22:09:24
pretty sure Nabokov CANT start for Russia cuz he's Khazak ... this is just for the Olympics and he's available for other big tourneys like the World Cup... anyone remember the World Cup?
Guest4004 Posted - 11/25/2009 : 20:59:38
1-Nabokov
2-Bryzgalov
3-Varlamov
Tiller33 Posted - 11/21/2009 : 14:34:22
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

i get your point with games played an consisitancy with Nabby, but disagree with the comment of the Sharks not having a good Defensive Corp. I'd say there defense is top ten in the league today and has been for some time. My point is in the important games no one counts Nabakov in the goalie to steal a game department. That my friend is on Khabbi's resume. His game is better suited to a short term tournament. Besides given a few games of playing time Internationally I believe the better Goalie is actually Bryzgalov

Like i poseted before though if khabbibulin is off then its circus in his crease, he'd be their curtis joseph i see it as nabokov's job to lose

There's a lot of dirty old occ's around thats the problem
Alex116 Posted - 11/21/2009 : 11:23:28
quote:
Originally posted by Kirby

My vote goes with Khabibulin. Its a little biased but Khabi steps it up when it counts and is used to facing a lot of shots with the Oilers. I like Nabokov and think he and Khabi will each see 2 games in the round robin. Also a surprise could happen like Varlamov or Pavelec(Thrashers goalie) who can win games when facing 50+ shots. Idk for sure if Pavelec is Russian he could be Czech or something

I skate where the puck is going to be, not where it has been.-Wayne Gretzky

Ondrej Pavelec, is in fact, a Czech.

I agree with Beans, Nabovkov is my guy. I won't be shocked if it's one of the others, but that would be my choice. It's a tough decision for the Russians really.....
Kirby Posted - 11/20/2009 : 22:32:24
My vote goes with Khabibulin. Its a little biased but Khabi steps it up when it counts and is used to facing a lot of shots with the Oilers. I like Nabokov and think he and Khabi will each see 2 games in the round robin. Also a surprise could happen like Varlamov or Pavelec(Thrashers goalie) who can win games when facing 50+ shots. Idk for sure if Pavelec is Russian he could be Czech or something

I skate where the puck is going to be, not where it has been.-Wayne Gretzky
Beans15 Posted - 11/20/2009 : 17:33:48
Nabokov was the winning goalie at the 2008 World Championships with back to back shutouts and a 5-4 win over Canada and the Best Goalie in the tourney award.

He's also played for Russia in the 2006 Games where they played for the Bronze.

He's far from a joke.

Bryzgalov is not my guy. Not over either Nabokov or Khabibulin.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 11/20/2009 : 16:10:43
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinOilCountry

I wonder how many of the Nabokov votes were based solely on how San Jose is doing thus far this year? He's not a goalie I like for Tourneys and playoffs, he's shown in the past that he struggles with the pressure of elimination play.

'Bulin has an impressive playoff resume, which I think makes him the most qualified for the Olympics.

I would play Bryzgalov in the round robin at the very least to give me an idea of how he may do in Russia at the next olympics. Need to see the guy under pressure.

My vote still stands. I'd start the tourney with Bryzgalov.

100% agree.
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 11/20/2009 : 15:50:48
I wonder how many of the Nabokov votes were based solely on how San Jose is doing thus far this year? He's not a goalie I like for Tourneys and playoffs, he's shown in the past that he struggles with the pressure of elimination play.

'Bulin has an impressive playoff resume, which I think makes him the most qualified for the Olympics.

I would play Bryzgalov in the round robin at the very least to give me an idea of how he may do in Russia at the next olympics. Need to see the guy under pressure.

My vote still stands. I'd start the tourney with Bryzgalov.

Beans15 Posted - 11/19/2009 : 18:01:02
quote:
Originally posted by tbar

I personally would want to give my goalie as much notice as possible. From all the goalies I have played with or coached or whatever only a small percentage didn't mind finding out they were playing just before the game.

Its tough to get focused in the matter of a flood. I also dont believe when the coach says the goaltender for the game will be a game time decision to the media, because I am sure the goalie who is playing knows damb well he's playing.

I hear exactly what you are saying. But both of these guys are their teams #1 already. There is not need to put added pressure on either of the before the games starts. Just let them know they will both be on the team and the starter will be decided at the games. Not too long before.
tbar Posted - 11/19/2009 : 14:27:02
I personally would want to give my goalie as much notice as possible. From all the goalies I have played with or coached or whatever only a small percentage didn't mind finding out they were playing just before the game.

Its tough to get focused in the matter of a flood. I also dont believe when the coach says the goaltender for the game will be a game time decision to the media, because I am sure the goalie who is playing knows damb well he's playing.
Beans15 Posted - 11/19/2009 : 14:08:59
I don't think, based on history as well as this years performance, that Bryzgalov is ahead of either Nabokov or Khabibulin. It will be those two guys for sure.

Now who is starting is another story. Honestly, you will see at least 2 games from each of them and then the hot guy will get the starts in the knock out round.

If I am a good Russian Hockey coach, I play my cards close to my chest and decide at game time who my starter is.

With Nabokov and Khabibulin, either is a good choice. I can't really make a bad decision.
n/a Posted - 11/19/2009 : 11:37:03
Tough one for me, because Khabi can really steal games for you when it's on. However, unless there was a circumstance where, say, last 12 games before the tournament Khabi was red-hot and Nabakov was so-so, I'd take Nabakov.

Proven, reliable, good under pressure. He'll be playing behind an awesome offence, and will have to keep himself awake at times to stay in the game . . . Khabibulin has always been used to seeing more rubber, and is more inconsistent.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 11/19/2009 : 10:53:19
i get your point with games played an consisitancy with Nabby, but disagree with the comment of the Sharks not having a good Defensive Corp. I'd say there defense is top ten in the league today and has been for some time. My point is in the important games no one counts Nabakov in the goalie to steal a game department. That my friend is on Khabbi's resume. His game is better suited to a short term tournament. Besides given a few games of playing time Internationally I believe the better Goalie is actually Bryzgalov
irvine Posted - 11/18/2009 : 16:44:19
Evgeni Nabokov would be starting in net for me.

You know what you are getting with Nabby. You get a goalie who can play the entire tournament, without fatigue setting in. He's used to 70+ games per season. You also get a goaltender who is capable of keeping you in the game, when your defense is lacking. The Sharks do not have the top D in league by any means, yet they are able to the scoring low on most nights, mainly due to goaltending.

My dressing backup would be Bryzgalov at this point in time. This guy has been outstanding for the Coyotes this year. He's a huge part in the Coyotes early success this year, and is clearly very capable under pressure. As the Coyotes have been under the spotlight for some time now.

Watching in street clothing, but ready when needed, would be Khabiboulin.

Irvine
Tiller33 Posted - 11/18/2009 : 14:52:24
Nabokov right now is the russian brodeur sans the cup rings he plays upwards of 70 games a year and despite the sharks failures in other areas he's pretty reliable.

Khabibulin on the other hand ya he has a ring and when he's on he is great but when he's off he is just terrible ask the folks in chicago the last 4 months of last season notwithstanding. Due to big game experience and previous international experience i give him the back up nod.

Bryzgalov is a bit of a mystery too he has flashes of brilliance and at times has carried the coyotes but i'm certainly not sold on him enough to be the starter or back up of that team.

1. Nabokov
2. Khabibulin
3. Bryzgalov

Regardless the Russians will be better in net than in the past.

There's a lot of dirty old occ's around thats the problem
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 11/18/2009 : 14:15:56
Khabibulin. Why? He's the only one with positive post season experience. Nabokov still hasn't proved himself to me. I figure Bryzgalov will play his way to the #1 role but is the most inexperienced of the 3.
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 11/18/2009 : 14:11:37
I cast my own vote for Bryzgalov. I think he is an amazing goalie that can handle the pressures of a single elimination tourney better than Nabokov.

tbar Posted - 11/18/2009 : 14:07:44
Nabokov would be my starter. Simply because I have more faith in Nabokov getting the job done compared to the other two goalies mentioned. All three are good no doubt but Nabokov just seems to get the job done night after night.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page