Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Best NHL Season Of All Time

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
willus3 Posted - 02/18/2007 : 18:38:39
What player do you feel had the best season of all time. What season and why do feel that? I'll post my thoughts after some other responses. And remember, hockey has been played longer than just the last 10 years.
24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Saku Steen Posted - 03/27/2007 : 11:58:06
Sorry if I get this wrong but, Gretzky scored 328 goals in his minor days. Thats crazy!
hithere311 Posted - 03/27/2007 : 08:57:21
Dave Schultz in 74-75. 472 PIMs!!!!!
wyntyre Posted - 03/11/2007 : 06:21:47
quote:
Originally posted by ultimatetitman

quote:
Originally posted by PuckNuts

Joe Malone 1917-18 when he scored 44 goals in 20 games...
If he played 80 games back then he may have scored 176 goals...

As much as I agree that this is a phenominal accomplishment, I don't put a lot of stock in most of the records posted during the war years, or the Great Depression. A great many men who could have been great players were not allowed to play during those eras, due to conscription, duty, no money, etc, so I always feel records from these times are a bit skewed.

Therefore, I think that George Hainsworth 1928-29 season was the greatest season ever, when he posted 22 shutouts in only 44 games. He also posted a 0.98 goals against average, meaning he let in a grand total of 43 goals in 44 games. Unbelievable.

Gotta agree.... 0.98 GAA with half the games shutouts....never to be beat

Can't go...The Roads Are Dirty
pucker Posted - 03/06/2007 : 14:21:27
quote:
Originally posted by vintage

the late 98's were nice but also for when the canucks owned the ice back in the ealy 90's

Vintage you are the biggest homer ever. Do you even read other people's posts before you throw out: Canucks.

Read the introductory post: What player?
semin-rules Posted - 03/06/2007 : 14:08:35
Teemu Selanne's 76 goals in his rookie season

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
vintage Posted - 03/01/2007 : 09:10:10
the late 98's were nice but also for when the canucks owned the ice back in the ealy 90's
ultimatetitman Posted - 02/27/2007 : 14:12:09
quote:
Originally posted by PuckNuts

As much as I agree that this is a phenominal accomplishment, I don't put a lot of stock in most of the records posted during the war years, or the Great Depression. A great many men who could have been great players were not allowed to play during those eras, due to conscription, duty, no money, etc, so I always feel records from these times are a bit skewed.

Therefore, I think that George Hainsworth 1928-29 season was the greatest season ever, when he posted 22 shutouts in only 44 games. He also posted a 0.98 goals against average, meaning he let in a grand total of 43 goals in 44 games. Unbelievable.
guinman Posted - 02/20/2007 : 21:07:34
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

quote:
Originally posted by slapshot

quote:

My choice is Orr's 69-70 Season. Here's why:
From that season on the role of a defenseman was changed. There were rushing d-men before Orr, but after his 120 point season it was now expected of them to join the rush. He actually changed the game.
The 120 points he recorded won him the Art Ross. Never had it happened before that a d-man won the scoring title and it only happened one other time since and again it was Orr who did it. If you actually stop and think about that for a few moments you'll have to pick up your jaw from the floor. He did it twice and yet we still find it unfathomable because he is still the only one to ever, in the history of the game, accomplish it. Understand too, that he wasn't just racking up points. He was defending his end of the ice ferociously too.
He also became the first player in history to take home 4 awards in one season.
The N-ORR-is of course. The Hart, Conne Smythe and Art Ross. And although I didn't check, I'm pretty sure he won the plus/minus as well. That's pretty much a given. Gerry Cheever's said Orr should have won the Vezina too because he blocked more shots than some goalies that year.
And to top it all off the Bruins won the cup that year and Bobby scored the winning goal.
BTW his 120 points are an increase of 88% over the record he set previously and over 100% greater than the next best d-mans point total. That is the single largest margin of victory EVER, by anyone.

Wow tough to argue that one. The more I read, the more impressed I became. Scoring the Cup winning goal really capped off that season. I was talking to my Dad last night and he wondered if there are any good Orr DVD's available that truly display his greatness since many of us (including myself) never saw him play.

Here's one to pick up.
http://www.hdhockey.tv/details_2977
Also youtube has some good clips too. This one is great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq4yGWipyBk
And this one is better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv0-9Wi713o
This one shows you how much other players respected him. Brings a tear to my eye. This is a fantastic series if you haven't seen it. Definitely a buyer. It's the Legends of Hockey series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1fMcTq8Esk
And here's one of his fights. I'd say he was fairly good at that part of the game too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1vH-WFpI0I

Enjoy! He was nothing short of otherworldly. Seriously I think he may have been an alien.

Lot's of good post's here.

I think the question should be more specific in regards to regular season including playoffs? I thought it mean't more along the lines of just a regular season.
willus3 Posted - 02/19/2007 : 17:45:00
quote:
Originally posted by slapshot

quote:

From that season on the role of a defenseman was changed. There were rushing d-men before Orr, but after his 120 point season it was now expected of them to join the rush. He actually changed the game.
The 120 points he recorded won him the Art Ross. Never had it happened before that a d-man won the scoring title and it only happened one other time since and again it was Orr who did it. If you actually stop and think about that for a few moments you'll have to pick up your jaw from the floor. He did it twice and yet we still find it unfathomable because he is still the only one to ever, in the history of the game, accomplish it. Understand too, that he wasn't just racking up points. He was defending his end of the ice ferociously too.
The N-ORR-is of course. The Hart, Conne Smythe and Art Ross. And although I didn't check, I'm pretty sure he won the plus/minus as well. That's pretty much a given. Gerry Cheever's said Orr should have won the Vezina too because he blocked more shots than some goalies that year.
And to top it all off the Bruins won the cup that year and Bobby scored the winning goal.
BTW his 120 points are an increase of 88% over the record he set previously and over 100% greater than the next best d-mans point total. That is the single largest margin of victory EVER, by anyone.

Wow tough to argue that one. The more I read, the more impressed I became. Scoring the Cup winning goal really capped off that season. I was talking to my Dad last night and he wondered if there are any good Orr DVD's available that truly display his greatness since many of us (including myself) never saw him play.

Here's one to pick up.
http://www.hdhockey.tv/details_2977
Also youtube has some good clips too. This one is great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq4yGWipyBk
And this one is better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv0-9Wi713o
This one shows you how much other players respected him. Brings a tear to my eye. This is a fantastic series if you haven't seen it. Definitely a buyer. It's the Legends of Hockey series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1fMcTq8Esk
And here's one of his fights. I'd say he was fairly good at that part of the game too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1vH-WFpI0I

Enjoy! He was nothing short of otherworldly. Seriously I think he may have been an alien.
PuckNuts Posted - 02/19/2007 : 17:13:21
Check this link, I like the results...

http://members.shaw.ca/hbtn/index.htm

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright, until they speak...
Beans15 Posted - 02/19/2007 : 15:51:03
Orr did some amazing things in 69-70. I might even step aside on this one and say that Gretzky's 84-85, where he did pretty much everything that Orr did in 69-70, was the second best ever. I will admit, Orr's was by a higher margin and no one had done it before.

slapshot Posted - 02/19/2007 : 14:49:48
quote:

willus3 Posted - 02/19/2007 : 14:36:11
oil fan97 Posted - 02/19/2007 : 07:04:12
The Oilers first ever Stanley Cup in 84-85
PuckNuts Posted - 02/19/2007 : 05:00:57
But do not forget, no slapshots, no fancy sticks...

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright, until they speak...
Guest8764 Posted - 02/19/2007 : 02:00:51
Gretz scoring 50 goals in 39 games was pretty impressive, but I think I'd give the best season of all time to Bobby Orr in 1970. He scored 120 points and was the only defenseman to win the Art Ross trophy.
willus3 Posted - 02/19/2007 : 00:44:56
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5029

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Willus should expect this, but my vote is 84-85 Gretzky

Reg season
80 games
73 goals (4th highest in history at the time, top 10 ever)
135 assist(a record until he broke it the next year)
208 points (3rd highest in history)
+98 rating (highest by any forward ever)

Playoffs
18 games
17 goals-Still a record
30 assists-A new record at the time, but he broke it a few years laters
47 points-Still a record.

Oilers win the Cup

Trophies
Art Ross, Hart, Conn Smythe, Lester B. Pearson, Crysler/Dodge NHL Performer of the Year, Plus/Minus Award, 1st Team All Star.

So many records or near records. Most players will break one record, maybe even two. He broke 5 in that year alone and won 7 NHL awards.

That is my vote for the best ever.

And Lyall, how were the rules different back then?? Still have to put the puck in the net. 44 goals in 20 games is unreal. That's more than 2 goals/game. Even the Great One, the most prolific scorer in NHL history, had barely over 1 as his best season. Putting that into perspective, it was amazing.

I think goalies had virtually no gear. Wasn't it illegal for goalies to leave their feet?

I believe you are correct 5029. They had to stay on their feet.
Guest5029 Posted - 02/18/2007 : 21:42:46
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Reg season
80 games

Playoffs
18 games
17 goals-Still a record

Oilers win the Cup

Trophies
Art Ross, Hart, Conn Smythe, Lester B. Pearson, Crysler/Dodge NHL Performer of the Year, Plus/Minus Award, 1st Team All Star.

So many records or near records. Most players will break one record, maybe even two. He broke 5 in that year alone and won 7 NHL awards.

And Lyall, how were the rules different back then?? Still have to put the puck in the net. 44 goals in 20 games is unreal. That's more than 2 goals/game. Even the Great One, the most prolific scorer in NHL history, had barely over 1 as his best season. Putting that into perspective, it was amazing.

I think goalies had virtually no gear. Wasn't it illegal for goalies to leave their feet?
Guest5029 Posted - 02/18/2007 : 21:40:43
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5029

quote:

What player do you feel had the best season of all time. What season and why do feel that? I'll post my thoughts after some other responses. And remember, hockey has been played longer than just the last 10 years.

Obviously Gretzky's 212 pt season is right there. I would however submit that Mario's 123 pt effort in 89-90 would be in my eyes. My reason would be that the low point total compared to Wayne's best season is more than surpassed in my mind by the circumstances to which Mario put that 123 pts up in 59 gms. Hockey fans should be made known of the fact that Mario put up huge numbers with essentially a broken back and a much poorer supporting cast than Wayne had. Mario couldn't even tie his own skates and was in such pain during his scoring streak he literally played up to the minute that he could no longer do so. Considering that his team had yet to acquire Francis, Jagr, Murphy, Samuelsson, had virtually no contribution from Stevens and Recchi at this time, the team's best scorer's beside Coffey we're Robbie Brown and Dan Quinn - I would submit that Mario was a miracle worker. I'm thinking that if Mario had remained healthy for 2 or 3 season's more when all of his supporting cast arrived that he easily could have bested 212 pts. Love or hate Mario, the guy played in more pain and duress by far than anyone in NHL history.

oops I forgot.....also no Joe Mullen. Just to make a note as well in case younger fans didn't know that in 88-89 Mario put up 199 points in 76 games with the same limp supporting cast of Brown and Quinn.
Beans15 Posted - 02/18/2007 : 21:37:06

Reg season
80 games

Playoffs
18 games
17 goals-Still a record

Oilers win the Cup

Trophies

Guest5029 Posted - 02/18/2007 : 21:29:42
quote:

Obviously Gretzky's 212 pt season is right there. I would however submit that Mario's 123 pt effort in 89-90 would be in my eyes. My reason would be that the low point total compared to Wayne's best season is more than surpassed in my mind by the circumstances to which Mario put that 123 pts up in 59 gms. Hockey fans should be made known of the fact that Mario put up huge numbers with essentially a broken back and a much poorer supporting cast than Wayne had. Mario couldn't even tie his own skates and was in such pain during his scoring streak he literally played up to the minute that he could no longer do so. Considering that his team had yet to acquire Francis, Jagr, Murphy, Samuelsson, had virtually no contribution from Stevens and Recchi at this time, the team's best scorer's beside Coffey we're Robbie Brown and Dan Quinn - I would submit that Mario was a miracle worker. I'm thinking that if Mario had remained healthy for 2 or 3 season's more when all of his supporting cast arrived that he easily could have bested 212 pts. Love or hate Mario, the guy played in more pain and duress by far than anyone in NHL history.
lyall Posted - 02/18/2007 : 21:07:47
You gotta remeber the rules were alot diffent back then.
willus3 Posted - 02/18/2007 : 20:01:56
That's what I'm talking about. Great stuff Pucknuts.
Malone definitely has to be considered. Astounding what he did.
PuckNuts Posted - 02/18/2007 : 18:55:04

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page