Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Poll - My Team Canada

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
leigh Posted - 05/14/2007 : 14:25:26
If time travel were possible (it is right?), which Team Canada would you take to the world stage?
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest7418 Posted - 07/23/2007 : 12:57:30
quote:
Originally posted by stastnysforever

Why did Stastny play for USA?, he was born in canada

Because he wouldnt make the Canadian team.
OILINONTARIO Posted - 07/22/2007 : 17:54:53
quote:
Originally posted by I´m also Cånädiön

I would say 1987 with Gretzky and Lemieux.

(Sigh) If time travelling was possible I would have gone back to 2002 Olympics and knocked out Tommy Salo and dropped of a decent goalie...

The book on Salo has always been, "go over his head". Heh heh!
Guest4794 Posted - 07/22/2007 : 09:34:46
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

Forwards and Defense: Bill Barber, Bobby Clarke, Marcel Dionne, Phil Esposito, Bob Gainey, Danny Gare, Bobby Hull, Guy Lafleur, Guy Lapointe, Reggie Leach, Peter Mahovlich, Richard Martin, Lanny McDonald, Bobby Orr, Gilbert Perreault, Denis Potvin, Larry Robinson, Serge Savard, Steve Shutt, Darryl Sittler, Carol Vadnais, Jimmy Watson
Goaltenders: Gerry Cheevers, Glenn Resch, Rogatien Vachon
Coaches: Scotty Bowman, Don Cherry, Bobby Kromm, Al MacNeil

Not sure who played and who sat on these teams.

Wayne Gretzky,
Mark Messier,
Mario Lemieux,
Rick Tocchet,
Doug Gilmour,
Michel Goulet,
Dale Hawerchuck,
Mike Gartner
Glenn Anderson,
Brian Propp
Claude Lemieux
Kevin Dineen,
Brent Sutter

Ray Bourque,
Paul Coffey,
Larry Murphy,
Craig Hartsburg
Norman Rochefort
Doug Crossman
James Patrick,

Grant Fuhr,
Ron Hextall,
Kelly Hrudey

Fleury, Theoren
Gagné, Simon
Iginla, Jarome
Kariya, Paul
Lemieux, Mario
Lindros, Eric
Nieuwendyk, Joe
Nolan, Owen
Peca, Michael
Sakic, Joe
Shanahan, Brendan
Smyth, Ryan
Yzerman, Steve

Blake, Rob
Brewer, Eric
Foote, Adam
Jovanovski, Ed
MacInnis, Al
Niedermayer, Scott
Pronger, Chris

Belfour, Ed
Brodeur, Martin
Joseph, Curtis

1976 - by far the best group of the defencemen ever assembled. I'm guessing Carol Vadnais and Jimmy Watson never got much ice time.

1987 - by far the best group of offensive powers ever assembled. However that D line is paper thin. After Bourque, Coffey and Murphy the others never amounted to much. I think there is like 5 top 11 scorers of all time there.

2002 - the most ridiculous collection of goalies. solid O line about the same as the 1976 team. D line is strong but not ridiculous like 1976 and for sure stronger than 1987.

My pick would be to combine these teams. The offensive line of 87, with the D line of 76 and the goalies of 02 (if I had to pick the units intact). Otherwise I'd mash the O and D line of 87 and 76 but I'd keep that goalie list of 02.

If I had to pick only one team, I'd take 02. There were no who's that player on this team (maybe Simon Gagne). I notice the 76 and 87 teams had a bunch of "no-names" that made the team.
OILINONTARIO Posted - 07/21/2007 : 17:51:26
Just play the '86 Oilers. As old as they are, they could still compete against any thrown-together national team. And the pride would be huge, considerIng their breakdown that year. Steve Smith for MVP!
willus3 Posted - 07/21/2007 : 13:26:58
And then the guys on the ice for this clip. The depth of this team is unbelievable.
http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/post.asp?method=Reply&TOPIC_ID=2322&FORUM_ID=73

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"
willus3 Posted - 07/21/2007 : 13:20:37
Look at the players on the ice for Canada in this clip. Unreal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvs1U7HGTMA&mode=related&search=

stastnysforever Posted - 05/21/2007 : 13:36:35
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6743

quote:
Originally posted by BigShow

I really liked Canada's 1998 olympic team.

Too bad Kariya got gooned by Suter, two weeks before, and Sakic got hurt in early in the round robin.

I forgot about that cross-check to the face by Suter. Kariya has never been the same since, really.

No wonder people in Canada hate Suter so much. He almost killed the Great One with a check from behind, then ended any chance of Kariya being the Next One. Maybe Ryan Suter will carry on the family tradition and run Crosby's head through the glass and nearly kill him someday. Then Dad would be proud.

Ya, or maybe, he'll actually kill him, then his dad would be jealous,

just kidding

what do Calgary and a tea bag have in common- they're both only good for one cup
Mikhailova Posted - 05/21/2007 : 13:34:17
He has US citizenship along with Canadian. So I guess he can play for either country.

P.S. 2400 posts. Babs I passed you man. I now officially rule the PickupHockey forums. Better hurry and get back on
stastnysforever Posted - 05/21/2007 : 13:32:45
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Guest4401

Statsny was born in Slovakia, but defected to Canada.

Stastny was born in Quebec

Peter Stastny was born in Czechoslovakia and defected to Canada. Paul Stastny was then born in Quebec.

Ya but how is he American, thats what I don't get

what do Calgary and a tea bag have in common- they're both only good for one cup
Guest6743 Posted - 05/20/2007 : 10:28:44
quote:
Originally posted by BigShow

Too bad Kariya got gooned by Suter, two weeks before, and Sakic got hurt in early in the round robin.

I forgot about that cross-check to the face by Suter. Kariya has never been the same since, really.

No wonder people in Canada hate Suter so much. He almost killed the Great One with a check from behind, then ended any chance of Kariya being the Next One. Maybe Ryan Suter will carry on the family tradition and run Crosby's head through the glass and nearly kill him someday. Then Dad would be proud.
HasekFan39 Posted - 05/18/2007 : 23:00:04
You have to say the 1987 Canada team. I agree with people who say Gretzky and Lemieux.

Victory awaits him who has everything in order--luck, people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck.
PainTrain Posted - 05/18/2007 : 09:20:55
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5100

K, i didnt read any of the posts here, but should we be making the assumption that Canada will win in 2010 then get dissapointed the USA basketball team?

I know Canada will have a sick pool of players to choose from, prehaps 3 out of 4 staals will be there, that would be sick!!!

But I think we should let it pan out.

Marleau - Cheechoo - J. Thornton
Crosby - J. Staal - R. Smyth
E. Staal - Spezza - Heatley
Richards - Lecavalier - St. Louis
Sakic - M. Savard - Briere
Iginla - Cammalerri - P. Bergeron
Getzlaf - C. Perry - A. MacDonald
Doan - etc, etc, etc,.

S. Neidermeyer - D. Phaneuf
Pronger - M. Staal?
Redden - Preissing
Bauchemin - Commodore
CORVO - Weber
Bouwmeester - McCabe
Boyle - Souray

Goailes easier
Brodeur, Luongo, Turco
Outside chances - C. Ward, M.A. Fleury, Huet, J.S. Giguere, Emery

Who the hell do you choose here? We Should have Canada I & II just like bobsledding.

Corvo is from the U.S.A. And I agree two teams for Canada, we have enough players, problem is that a high chance is that the two Canadian teams will be in the finals.
99pickles Posted - 05/18/2007 : 09:10:47
Pardon me, I see that Stastny thing was addressed.

As for the topic. After rewatching some of the '72 series I can't pick that team. Although I was leaning towards the '87 team of the choices I see that the '76 team was brought up. That team was golden. Jimmy Watson's head exploded when he walked into that room !
99pickles Posted - 05/18/2007 : 09:03:00
quote:

quote:

You are talking about different Stastnys. Guest 4401 thinks you mean Peter.
Guest4242 Posted - 05/17/2007 : 22:40:40
um im not going to lie to u boys but i think if i was to take a team canada team i would take any of are world jr teams from the past 4-5 years
Mikhailova Posted - 05/17/2007 : 12:33:18
quote:

quote:

Peter Stastny was born in Czechoslovakia and defected to Canada. Paul Stastny was then born in Quebec.
Mikhailova Posted - 05/17/2007 : 12:32:14
quote:

I knew he had a dual citizenship, I just thought it was Canada and Czechoslovakia

Nope, Paul has Canada and US, Peter has Canada and Slovakia.
Beans15 Posted - 05/17/2007 : 12:07:32
We may be brothers, but he is the Black Sheep of the family.

And my vote on here goes to the 87 team. Not for any other reason by I was -6 years old in 72, and -2 years old in 76. I can't compare. I don't think there has been a Canadian team since 87 that even compares.

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
andyhack Posted - 05/17/2007 : 08:21:45
I think the '76 team was better than the '72 team, but more importantly, most accounts from the players themselves, including the ones who played for both teams, seem to support that opinion.

Was '76 better than '87? That is a tougher call but, okay, I say they were. That great Canadian team in '87, as talented as they were, only barely escaped with victory against the Russians. The '87 Russians were good but were they better than Canada's '76 team - I don't think so.

p.s. TC - does the above pass the logic test, or do I have to go back to basics?

Maybe I'll practice now - Let me see, well, if Beans is Willus's brother and Willus is Chooch's brother, does that not make Beans Chooch's brother?

Beans! What do you know? You and Chooch are brothers!!!!!
stastnysforever Posted - 05/17/2007 : 07:02:47
I chose 72 because Im alsmost as obsessed with that as i am obsessed with Stastny
stastnysforever Posted - 05/17/2007 : 07:00:31
quote:

quote:

Guest4401 Posted - 05/17/2007 : 06:41:37
quote:

stastnysforever Posted - 05/16/2007 : 19:44:50
quote:

He has dual citizenship, so I guess he can play for either one...that's my guess.

I knew he had a dual citizenship, I just thought it was Canada and Czechoslovakia
Mikhailova Posted - 05/16/2007 : 15:10:52
I see someone drew a stamp just to commemorate that

http://akamai.tehnokratt.net/pictures/larko/salo.jpg
Saku Steen Posted - 05/16/2007 : 14:26:26
quote:

quote:

I´dont want to take anything away from the Canadian achivment but you got to understand it was the biggest fiasko of Swedish hockey.

Weren't the 2002 Olympics the ones where Ulf Samuelsson was forced off the Swedish team because he tried to get dual citizenship, and when Belarus beat Sweden (?)4-3 in one of the biggest upsets ever? Those were tough times for the Swedes...but hey, you beat your Scandinavian rival in Torino and won gold

Ya it was, that game riuned Tommy Salos career.
Patchy Posted - 05/16/2007 : 13:06:39
quote:

(Sigh) If time travelling was possible I would have gone back to 2002 Olympics and knocked out Tommy Salo and dropped of a decent goalie... and this poll could have looked a bit different.....

Btw Patchy: Sweden-Canada 5-2

I´dont want to take anything away from the Canadian achivment but you got to understand it was the biggest fiasko of Swedish hockey.

Ya I remember that game. great swedish club though, too bad they had to go out like that.

~~Go Leafs Go~~
67LEAFS Posted - 05/16/2007 : 13:00:23
1987 Team Canada if only to witness Gretzky and Lemieux together. Close second is 1981 Team Canada for the Gretzky, Lafleur, Perreault line. Up until Perreault broke his ankle, that was one of Team Canada's best lines ever.
Mikhailova Posted - 05/16/2007 : 12:15:49
quote:

Weren't the 2002 Olympics the ones where Ulf Samuelsson was forced off the Swedish team because he tried to get dual citizenship, and when Belarus beat Sweden (?)4-3 in one of the biggest upsets ever? Those were tough times for the Swedes...but hey, you beat your Scandinavian rival in Torino and won gold
BigShow Posted - 05/16/2007 : 09:19:36

Guest5100 Posted - 05/16/2007 : 06:46:42
K, i didnt read any of the posts here, but should we be making the assumption that Canada will win in 2010 then get dissapointed the USA basketball team?

I know Canada will have a sick pool of players to choose from, prehaps 3 out of 4 staals will be there, that would be sick!!!

But I think we should let it pan out.

Marleau - Cheechoo - J. Thornton
Crosby - J. Staal - R. Smyth
E. Staal - Spezza - Heatley
Richards - Lecavalier - St. Louis
Sakic - M. Savard - Briere
Iginla - Cammalerri - P. Bergeron
Getzlaf - C. Perry - A. MacDonald
Doan - etc, etc, etc,.

S. Neidermeyer - D. Phaneuf
Pronger - M. Staal?
Redden - Preissing
Bauchemin - Commodore
Corvo - Weber
Bouwmeester - McCabe
Boyle - Souray

Goailes easier
Brodeur, Luongo, Turco
Outside chances - C. Ward, M.A. Fleury, Huet, J.S. Giguere, Emery

Who the hell do you choose here? We Should have Canada I & II just like bobsledding.

I´m also Cånädiön Posted - 05/16/2007 : 03:09:14

(Sigh) If time travelling was possible I would have gone back to 2002 Olympics and knocked out Tommy Salo and dropped of a decent goalie... and this poll could have looked a bit different.....

Btw Patchy: Sweden-Canada 5-2

Guest9695 Posted - 05/15/2007 : 18:59:59
1987 Canada Cup - Gretz and Mario enough said!
Patchy Posted - 05/15/2007 : 17:27:30
In my opinion, the 2002 Canada team was the most complete of all of them. They had great scoring, defense and outstanding goaltending. I forget if they had a perfect record or not, but nonetheless they were facing some pretty decent teams too.

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Guest9910 Posted - 05/15/2007 : 15:24:12
1987 Canada Cup winning team. And play Gretzky and Lemieux -- as the Russian's put it -- "same line, all the time".

That final 3 game series has to be the most high tempo hockey ever played.
Mikhailova Posted - 05/15/2007 : 12:03:37
Oh, PAUL...my bad.

And Kolzig was born in South Africa to German parents. Bondra was born in Ukraine but plays for Slovakia. Lots of players play for different countries than they were born in for different reasons. But since that's not the topic, we can discuss that elsewhere...
Beans15 Posted - 05/15/2007 : 12:00:12
PAUL Dipietro was born in Canada and plays for Switzerland. I'm guessing his at least one of his parent are Swiss.

And if that's the case, one of today's best Canadian players is German, as Heatley was born there. Does that mean he is not Canadian??
Mikhailova Posted - 05/15/2007 : 11:52:09
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4009

The best player on the Swiss team (DiPietro) was a Canadian.

You're not talking about Rick DiPietro, are you? He's American.

To add to the list of Canadians involved with other teams/organizations, Dave King, a Canadian, was the head coach of Metallurg Magnitogorsk, Malkin's former team.
Guest4009 Posted - 05/15/2007 : 11:15:14
quote:

He does have dual citizenship, and he wants to play in the Olympics. He has no chance of cracking Team Canada, but will probably make the USA Team, which is less talented and certainly not as deep.
Lots of Canadian guys have played for Team USA in the past - Brett Hull, Adam Deadmarsh and Bryan Trottier are a few that come to mind.
Other countries have Canadians on them, too. Especially the lower teir teams. The best player on the Swiss team (DiPietro) was a Canadian. Team Italy was mostly Italian-Canadians, not Italians.
GOWINGS19 Posted - 05/14/2007 : 21:11:59
quote:

When Canada doesn't win gold in 2010 I'll laugh

So, since we're unsure of how they'll do in the future Olympics, I'll say the 1972 Summit Champs. That was quite a team. I wouldn't say this year's World Champs because they were lacking a lot of their good NHLers. 2002 Olympic gold medalists would be the runner-up.

But, since I'm not Canadian, I couldn't really take any of those could I. 1980 Olympic gold medalists for me then

Cool poll Leigh!

I'm with you on that one Mik...especiallyyyy the 1980 games

"I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals." -Vladmir Konstantinov
willus3 Posted - 05/14/2007 : 20:11:20
76 has to be the best defense ever assembled on one team. Evidenced by the round robin results.
Round Robin Standings
GP W L T GF GA Pts
Canada 5 4 1 0 22 6 8
Czechoslovakia 5 3 1 1 19 9 7
USSR 5 2 2 1 23 14 5
Sweden 5 2 2 1 16 18 5
USA 5 1 3 1 14 21 3
Finland 5 1 4 0 16 42 2

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page