Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Greatest Moment

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mikhailova Posted - 05/18/2007 : 06:44:18
Ever since the NHL was created there've been tons of great moments in hockey. Not only in the NHL but internationally too. So, the question is, which was the greatest? Canada winning the 1972 Summit Series? Lake Placid? Gretzky scoring 215 points in a season? The Leafs getting kicked out of the playoffs 40 years in a row? Which would you say? With international events, some of it depends on where you're from; I would say Lake Placid, Canadians would say 72 Summit winners or 87 Canada Cup winners or something like that, I'm also Cånädiön might say Sweden winning gold at the Olympics...but if you could pick one NHL event and one international hockey event to be dubbed "Greatest of all time", what would they be?
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
I´m also Cånädiön Posted - 05/20/2007 : 14:02:09
[/quote]
that goal on Salo ruined his career
he used to be my favorite, I got so mad when he retired
[/quote]

What people tend to forget is that without Salos save in 94, Forsbergs goal wouldn´t have ment so much. Salo deserve just as much credit as Forsberg do but a nice looking goal is what people remember...you could argue that Salo should have retired earlier and gone out in style.
stastnysforever Posted - 05/20/2007 : 12:20:29
Orrs against St.Louis, Or hendersons in 72, I wasn't alive for either, but they're my dads 2 favorite moments in hockey and Ive seen them both on TV
stastnysforever Posted - 05/20/2007 : 12:17:23
Bobby Orrs goal against ST.Louis in the Finals was the best
stastnysforever Posted - 05/20/2007 : 12:14:55
quote:
Originally posted by I´m also Cånädiön

Greatest moment in the NHL, I´dont think I´m the right person to answer that question. Internationally Miracle on ice have to be on the very top.
I can leave a small contribution and list some of the greatest moments in Swedish hockey as I see it (Quite long if you´re not interested skip down to the bottom) :

Olympic shootout between Sweden and Canada 1994. I was 10 and litterally crawling on the walls during the entire game.
Peter Forsbergs shootoutgoal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTtFmPZpoAI

Wc quarterfinal of 2003 between Sweden and Finland. Played in Finland the finns where up 5-1 and some swedish supporters even started to go home. Sweden made it 5-4 and Forsberg started behind the swedish goalie transported the puck all over the ice, took a lap around the finnish keeper and made it 5-5. Later Per-John Axelsson makes it 5-6 to sweden and Sundin "gets cracy eyes".
Sweden wins 6-5. The finns mentally broke down after that one and has had it even tougher to win games against sweden than before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwimak-XY_I

The 2006 olympic final against finland. Forsberg to Sundin to Lidström goal. Henrik Lundqvist makes an impossible save against Olle Jokinen in the final seconds.

When sweden wins Wc 2006 4-0 against the chech rebublic and the Historical double is secured.

Lady Tre kronor comes back from 0-2 and beats USA in Torino.

I don´t remember these games but WC Gold 1987 against the big red machine and Wc 1986 sweden is down 2-4 against finland and 40s remaining when Anders "Masken" Carlsson makes 2 goals in 9s.

Olympics 2002 Great in a negative way, Belarus makes 4-3 on a nonexisting opportunity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLceXTqKuK4

Interesting fact is that the Captain of the swedish WC 1987 team, Bengt-Åke Gustafsson is the same person who coached sweden to the double in 06.

Greatest moment in swedish hockey have to be the shootout in 1994 Olympics.

Greatest achivement in swedish hockey has to be the Historical double in 06 something not even the big red machine could pull off.

Since I´m swedish I´m going with Double in 06 as greatest internationally.

that goal on Salo ruined his career
he used to be my favorite, I got so mad when he retired
I´m also Cånädiön Posted - 05/20/2007 : 03:07:19
quote:
Originally posted by Guest1603

It would be interesting to hear a russian opinion about this...
From Russia or Babinov?

Sorry forgot to log in that´s me up there.
Guest1603 Posted - 05/20/2007 : 03:05:36
It would be interesting to hear a russian opinion about this...
From Russia or Babinov?
I´m also Cånädiön Posted - 05/19/2007 : 09:30:18
Greatest moment in the NHL, I´dont think I´m the right person to answer that question. Internationally Miracle on ice have to be on the very top.
I can leave a small contribution and list some of the greatest moments in Swedish hockey as I see it (Quite long if you´re not interested skip down to the bottom) :

Olympic shootout between Sweden and Canada 1994. I was 10 and litterally crawling on the walls during the entire game.
Peter Forsbergs shootoutgoal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTtFmPZpoAI

Wc quarterfinal of 2003 between Sweden and Finland. Played in Finland the finns where up 5-1 and some swedish supporters even started to go home. Sweden made it 5-4 and Forsberg started behind the swedish goalie transported the puck all over the ice, took a lap around the finnish keeper and made it 5-5. Later Per-John Axelsson makes it 5-6 to sweden and Sundin "gets cracy eyes".
Sweden wins 6-5. The finns mentally broke down after that one and has had it even tougher to win games against sweden than before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwimak-XY_I

The 2006 olympic final against finland. Forsberg to Sundin to Lidström goal. Henrik Lundqvist makes an impossible save against Olle Jokinen in the final seconds.

When sweden wins Wc 2006 4-0 against the chech rebublic and the Historical double is secured.

Lady Tre kronor comes back from 0-2 and beats USA in Torino.

I don´t remember these games but WC Gold 1987 against the big red machine and Wc 1986 sweden is down 2-4 against finland and 40s remaining when Anders "Masken" Carlsson makes 2 goals in 9s.

Olympics 2002 Great in a negative way, Belarus makes 4-3 on a nonexisting opportunity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLceXTqKuK4

Interesting fact is that the Captain of the swedish WC 1987 team, Bengt-Åke Gustafsson is the same person who coached sweden to the double in 06.

Greatest moment in swedish hockey have to be the shootout in 1994 Olympics.

Greatest achivement in swedish hockey has to be the Historical double in 06 something not even the big red machine could pull off.

Since I´m swedish I´m going with Double in 06 as greatest internationally.

andyhack Posted - 05/18/2007 : 22:35:48
International: Putting aside my problems with Clarke's dirty ways, objectively I beleive that the Henderson goal in '72 stands as the most memorable and significant, if not the greatest, moment in the history of international hockey. It is difficult I think to convey just HOW big that series was from a fan's perspective. Remember, they rolled the TVs into classrooms around the country, mine included. The '87 series - exciting excellent hockey, no doubt, but '72, for all my criticisms was indeed "great", though maybe in the broad sense of the word "great', the way you might use it to describe some huge event like "the Great Depression" or "the Great Plague" or something.

NHL History (General): I think the greatest moment, and here I'll define "great" as "significant", perhaps would have been that period of time, and maybe Willis can help with exactly when this was, just when Bobby Orr was beginning to clearly be blooming into the superduperstar state that would ultimately totally change the face of hockey. Imagine being a hockey fan in say your mid 30s then - being used to seeing even so-called offensive defencemen getting relatively low point totals, and suddenly you are hearing about this guy on the Bruins doing unheard of things and racking up the points in an unprecedented manner. Gretzky may have surprised us in the early '80s with the extent of his numbers, but we had seen pretty big numbers from some players (Espo, Lafleur) before. Not nearly as big as Wayne, true, but I think you get my point. In the late 60s when Orr and Espo really took off, there simply was no reference point whatsoever to what they were doing, particularly what Bobby was doing as a defenceman. For a hockey fan, it must have been like their world was being turned TOTALLY UPSIDE DOWN. So I think that period could be one of the greatest ever in the history of hockey.

NHL History (Specific) - This is just a personal one - there are definitely greater moments if I think more objectively, but the night Sittler got his 10 points in one game was just so wacky that it has to be considered A great moment in the sport anyway. I was 12 at the time and I remember as the game progressed it was so unbelievably bizarre what was happening that you really had to pinch yourself to make sure you weren't dreaming. I love that it was Sittler by the way, and not someone like Espo, Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Lafleur and so on. That is part of the unique craziness of it that makes it special.
Patchy Posted - 05/18/2007 : 20:38:26
I'm actually doing a project on the '72 Summit Series and that has to be the greatest event of Canadian Hockey History anyway.

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Guest0860 Posted - 05/18/2007 : 18:32:04
quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

Even myself being a Canadian I have to go with the miracle on ice. Like what Mik said college boys beating the elite. It's amazing and huge part of that should also go to Herb Brooks one great coach.

wonder how much they paid off the russians
PainTrain Posted - 05/18/2007 : 17:34:00
Even myself being a Canadian I have to go with the miracle on ice. Like what Mik said college boys beating the elite. It's amazing and huge part of that should also go to Herb Brooks one great coach.
Mikhailova Posted - 05/18/2007 : 13:14:14
Yeah, I agree with both of you. 1980 Miracle on Ice takes the cake for best hockey moments. A huge underdog team of college kids beating the team that had dominated international hockey for the past 15 years. Ah, to have been alive back then. To have seen that game live would've been awesome

[img]http://www.grandstandsports.com/icons/1980Olympic.jpg[/img]

manninm Posted - 05/18/2007 : 11:59:17
I've gotta agree. There haven't been too many moments in my mind that transcend the sport of hockey. 1980 is without a doubt one of those moments. Without being melodramatic, I think that the game took a lot of deep emotional poltitical and social issues and put them on hold for a while, lifting people's spirits. That's pretty cool.

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden
GOWINGS19 Posted - 05/18/2007 : 11:53:33
international...1980 miracle on ice baby, and i wouldnt say that the 40 year drought of the leafs is a great thing more of a question of when will they be back...before the 40 years...they were great

"I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals." -Vladmir Konstantinov

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page