Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Interrupting a game for a new record????

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
willus3 Posted - 10/15/2007 : 19:34:59
I happened to be watching ESPN Classics this evening and saw something that actually disgusted me. I didn't actually remember this but it's probably one of the many incidences that formed my opinions of Gretzky way back when it happened.
They showed the game in which Gretzky broke Howe's all time points record. It happened late in the game. about a minute left I think. It tied the game. So there was the requisite celebration, the entire LA team comes on the ice to congratulate him. The next thing you know there are cameras all over the ice and they are setting up an award type ceremony. The game isn't even over. What the hell? Are you kidding me? It takes about 10 or 15 minutes. Gretzky is presented with several trinkets, he says a thank you speech and then they finally resume play and the game goes to overtime.
They stopped a hockey game for a mini award ceremony! Do you think they stopped play when Howe broke the record? The thought wouldn't have even occurred to anyone to do such a thing. They were too busy trying to win hockey games not awards.

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex Posted - 12/10/2007 : 15:59:14
When a league is new and starting out, not at all. But the NHL realized this type of thing would not happen again. I doubt that it will. It was one of the most hisstorical moments, I'm sure the fans did not mind, and anyone watching / in attendance probably reminisciences about those 15 minutes.

Let's not change topics here, but just to make a contrast: In the MLB, Bonds did not deserve the time. No one likes him, he cheated, and A-Rod is on pace to easily take it. There, you have a case. In the NHL, everyone likes Gretzky, save the people who hate bandwaggoners, and it was a moment like no other. The ceremony was a good idea.

Habs get number 25 this year
Guest0942 Posted - 10/18/2007 : 12:27:48
It was IN Edmonton, one year after he was traded, lest we forget! The fans would not have had it any other way. They already felt robbed of who they felt was their inherited son. This gave them a way of saying thank you, and in a way, closer. If it was in any other city, it would not have been such a production, I can guarantee that. Wayne's speech was basically a thank you to the city of Edmonton, and to his Edmonton teammates who produced most of his 1800+ (at the time) points. I don't think it could have happened any other way considering the circumstances and situation. To break the record IN Edmonton, wow.
willus3 Posted - 10/18/2007 : 11:32:40
quote:
Originally posted by fly4apuckguy

Just to answer your question, Willus, baseball has a long history of doing this in the middle of a game. Remember, Rickey Henderson's "Today I am the greatest of all time" speech?

The Gretzky thing was not unprecedented. I'll admit that maybe it was not totally well timed, if you'll admit that it was a pretty special event.

Here's another point, though. The whole thing would have been planned out in advance, with the thinking being that it could happen two minutes into the second period. The goal was scored late, and they probably look at each other and think, "Should we do it now?"

The crowd is going nuts, big standing ovation, cheering and all...I'm guessing they thought they should just do it now, and they did. Maybe it was the right decision, maybe it wasn't, but hardly worth worrying about, really. I doubt very much it was this giant conspiracy made to disrupt the game at the most inopportune time.

I'm not a baseball fan by any stretch of the imagination so I was unaware of the Henderson thing.
For me it's just out of place. Like I say, a time and a place.

Yes it was absolutely a special event. I mentioned Howe breaking the same record years before. There was no award ceremony period let alone in the middle of the game. I actually have footage of Howe breaking Richard's all time goals record. His team mates come on the ice and congratulate him and that was the end of it.
That seems appropriate to me.

You are correct though, it isn't something to worry about. Things like that just irk me though. Just wanted to share my irkedness with others.

fly4apuckguy Posted - 10/16/2007 : 19:42:29
Just to answer your question, Willus, baseball has a long history of doing this in the middle of a game. Remember, Rickey Henderson's "Today I am the greatest of all time" speech?

The Gretzky thing was not unprecedented. I'll admit that maybe it was not totally well timed, if you'll admit that it was a pretty special event.

Here's another point, though. The whole thing would have been planned out in advance, with the thinking being that it could happen two minutes into the second period. The goal was scored late, and they probably look at each other and think, "Should we do it now?"

The crowd is going nuts, big standing ovation, cheering and all...I'm guessing they thought they should just do it now, and they did. Maybe it was the right decision, maybe it wasn't, but hardly worth worrying about, really. I doubt very much it was this giant conspiracy made to disrupt the game at the most inopportune time.
Beans15 Posted - 10/16/2007 : 10:36:36
Willus, I hear ya. I agree that Gretzky could have insisted that he stuff happen after the game. But how do you know he didn't?? Maybe he did and the NHL and/or Oilers did the presentations anyway. What kind of spot would he be in then?? What kind of guy would he look like if he didn't partake?? That, I think, would have showed a lack of class.

I think that the blame is 90% Oilers/NHL, 10% Gretzky.

And seriously, if the day comes where that record is broken, I can say for certain that the game will be stopped again!

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.
willus3 Posted - 10/16/2007 : 10:25:38
quote:
Originally posted by PuckNuts

Gretzky had no control, do you think he should have refused to take part in the ceremony, then he would be toted as having no class...

He knew about the ceremony in advance. They showed an interview during the game with Walter Gretzky and it was clear they knew about it. He should have insisted it be done after the game. That would have been class.

PuckNuts Posted - 10/16/2007 : 10:09:26
Let the player skate around, take a bow, wave to the fans, and have a presentation after the game.

Gretzky had no control, do you think he should have refused to take part in the ceremony, then he would be toted as having no class...

Sundin passed Sittler on Saturday, he was awarded an assist when he never touched the puck. He was given a standing ovation, then later the assist was taken away. In fact he pointed that out to the referee.

He then scored a goal to break the record, another standing ovation.

Imagine if they had to have two ceremonies during the game, now that would have been funny...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

willus3 Posted - 10/16/2007 : 09:47:32
Beans,
I'm not pinning it entirely on Gretzky but he knew it was going to happen. He should have insisted it be done after the game rather than taking the focus off of the game and basking in the glory (playing a hockey game after all, is why the two teams were there).

Fly,
There is a time and place for everything. In the middle of a game is not the time or place for an award ceremony. It's absurd. Have you ever seen it happen in any other sport? No. Why? Because setting records isn't the point. Winning the game you are playing is the point. Whether you remember the game or not is irrelevant. If it wasn't the point they would have just stood to the side and let Gretzky score so they could have their ridiculous ceremony.

Beans15 Posted - 10/16/2007 : 09:01:19
Hey Fly, I think you would know by know that I am also a huge Oilers and Gretzky fan. I agree with the ovation and whatever else. But rolling out the red carpet and all the presentations could and should have happened after the game.

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.
spade632 Posted - 10/16/2007 : 08:33:11
I agree with Beans on this. The game shouldn't have been stopped for 15 minutes for a ceremony that could have just as well be held after the game was over.

Guest0942 Posted - 10/15/2007 : 22:21:08
And guess who scored the game winner in overtime after Gretzky tied it with the record breaker? Anyone know?

That's right, Gretzky.

Amazing.
fly4apuckguy Posted - 10/15/2007 : 20:58:38
Think about this...if you were at that game, and someone asked you thirty years later who won that night, do you think you'd remember or even care? In a few instances, and in a few situations, some players are bigger than the game. That was one such time.

Personally, as a Gretzky/Oiler fan, I'd have been really ticked off if they HADN'T stopped the game and had a ceremony. Especially considering it was in Edmonton where every single person (including the Oiler players) stood up and cheered for fifteen minutes for a guy who just scored for the other team! That shows how unimportant the actual game was to the Oiler fans.

What was the final score in that game, anyhow? Who scored the first goal for each team? How many points did the Kings have after the game? Exactly.
Beans15 Posted - 10/15/2007 : 20:39:32
One more thing. Wasn't that goal great!! Typical Gretzky in fashion. He's no where in the play, then all of a sudden he's got the puck on his stick and a wide open net.

Just another day at the office. LA's down and need a goal, Gretzky goes and gets one. I wonder if Crosby could have done that?????

hehe, man I love talking smack with Willus!

Beans15 Posted - 10/15/2007 : 20:37:36
Willus, I sure hope you are not pinning this one on Gretzky Too! This was all the Oilers and the NHL. Fitting it happened in Edmonton, but I think it was planned specifically that if it happened in Edmonton, the ceremony would happen. I wonder if it would have happened if the record was broken in another city??

I have seens this many times, and I have to agree. Maybe not as strongly as disgusting, but the game should not have stopped. That goal actually tied the game, it went into overtime, and LA won. Edmonton played well up until that point, but went totally flat after the record breaking point and the break afterwards.

What I could have agreed with was the LA team coming onto the ice. maybe a hand shake or two from his friends on the Oilers, Maybe a quick skate around while he got the standing ovation, and the rink announcer saying, " Please stay in your seats following the game for a ceremony in honor of this record breaking event." A couple of minutes tops, not the 15 that it was!

Wow, full moon tonight?? Willus and Beans agree on something about Gretzky!!! I'm leaving right now to buy a 6/49 ticket!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page