Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Most Exciting Finals in the Last 30 Years

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
willus3 Posted - 10/31/2007 : 18:54:37
Inspired by Fly4apuckguy.
What's the most exciting final series from the last 30 years?

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Greg Smith Posted - 11/03/2007 : 12:52:31
Thanks spade, didn't see that one. sorry Beans.

After playing in the NHL, it's hard to watch hockey games.
spade632 Posted - 11/03/2007 : 12:50:09
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Smith

Beans, isn't that 7? or did I just miss something?

I think he's counting 1990-91 and 1991-92. Could be wrong though.
Greg Smith Posted - 11/03/2007 : 12:15:41
Beans, isn't that 7? or did I just miss something?

Beans15 Posted - 11/03/2007 : 08:42:24
I don't think I could pick just one.

And I think you have to define "exciting?" Actual on ice or the stories along. If you include everything, there have been some pretty special ones. My experience does not go early 80's or before unless it was the Oilers, but in my opinion:

86 - A rookie Patrick Roy carrying a team to the Cup.
87- Edm/Philly. Cream of the crop and played that way.
90-Oilers without Gretzky and an inspired Messier
91/92-Lemiuex taking his place as one of the best who ever played
93-Gretzky coming close/Roy again!
94-NYR curse broken, Messiers Promise.
01-Ray final hoists the Cup.

I can't pick one of those 8 that I would say is the best. They were all great for one reason or another. I would have to go with my heart on this and go 87. Amazing hockey and also the last Cup WG was a part of.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Canucks Man Posted - 11/03/2007 : 01:21:44
As Im only 17 I havent seen very many of the games involving the Oilers in the finals, other then what classic NHL shows. But I have to say there serires from the games i have seen are most definatly the most exciting. I have also heard from alot of people the 94 series was one of the best ever.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
willus3 Posted - 11/02/2007 : 16:25:54
The ones you find most exciting are generally the ones your team are involved in. I've never really had a team, I've always just enjoyed great games, but I did get attached to the 80's and early 90's Hawks for some reason. Probably had to do with Savard and later Roenick and Chelios. So I really enjoyed the 91-92 playoffs. There were some outstanding games played. The finals with Pittsburgh, though it was a sweep, was exciting because the games were all quite close. 1 goal differences if I remember correctly. Sadly Pittsburgh won that year.

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore
Greg Smith Posted - 11/02/2007 : 15:48:19
Fly I think your picks would go 1-2 also. Just switch them around in my opinion.

fly4apuckguy Posted - 10/31/2007 : 21:10:50
Oilers - Flyers 1987 is tops. Two great offensive teams with lots of speed, skill, and grit. Wonderful hockey in a wonderful era, in my opinion.

The 1994 NYR - Vancouver finals is a close second, for the same reason. It was after this that the era of the clutch/grab/hold/trap took over and led to some of the worst final series, many involving the NJ Devils.

In the past few years, we've seen the emergence of good hockey/great series again. The Carolina - Edmonton series in 2006 was pretty good, but still pales in comparison to the 80's Oilers, of course.
andyhack Posted - 10/31/2007 : 20:53:49
Here you go Mr. Paintrain

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sv0TxgamWzs

Watching the whole game on Classic Hockey or something would probably give you a much better feeling for the excitement that I am talking about though.

This is better

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RgSp-PoldGY
PainTrain Posted - 10/31/2007 : 20:48:03
Mr.Hack do you have a link to that famous Nystrom goal?

Eat,Sleep,Watch Hockey,Play Hockey
The Perfect Life!
andyhack Posted - 10/31/2007 : 20:43:32
In some ways I thought the 1980 final between the Islanders and Flyers was quite exciting. The Hab dynasty had ended, so it was very interesting at the time to watch who would take over from them. The Isles came into that playoff with an actually so-so regular season for them after a number of very good regular seasons (but those very good regular seasons were always followed by unexpected playoff losses - they were known as chokers actually).

And then you had the Flyers, still led by Clarke, who had a very very strong regular season which included that 35 game unbeaten streak. Game 6, Flyers are down 4-2 and come back to tie it and send it to overtime before the famous Tonelli to Nystrom goal. Pretty exciting and, looking back historically, even more reviting, cause if the Islanders lose that game and the series, they go down again as chokers and, who knows, maybe the Isles Dynasty never happens.

To me it's that or 87 Oilers-Flyers (but I missed some of that - went to the Bahamas with my buddies that week)

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page