Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Norris Award Competition

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
willus3 Posted - 11/01/2007 : 09:13:20
What years or era had the highest level of competition for the Norris? When was it hardest to win this award?

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Greg Smith Posted - 11/03/2007 : 12:11:46
Having played in the 70's and 80's those were definitely the hardest years to win the Norris.

After playing in the NHL, it's hard to watch hockey games.
andyhack Posted - 11/02/2007 : 17:48:48
Although I suppose there are some other players invloved, I think this question may kind of come down to:

Bourque/Coffey/Chelios of the mid to late 80s (with Leetch and Stevens around too)

vs.

Potvin/Robinson/Park of the late 70s (with Savard and Lapointe around too)

That's an interesting comparison. Considering that Park was aging by the late 70s and his knees were pretty banged up, and both Savard and Lapointe were also starting to get a little slower and older by '79 anyway, I might give the edge to the mid to late 80s guys - though I share Willus's views about Coffey - he was a superduper "something or other" who deserved some sort of award for sure (but one that doesn't exist, I guess, like the "Best Something or Other" Award), but I have major doubts about calling him best defenseman - but we don't have to revisit that argument - just voicing my thoughts as I look at this comparison.

I agree about the last ten years not being as strong.
willus3 Posted - 11/02/2007 : 17:05:52
I got thinking about this while pondering how good Lidstrom is.
I have come to the conclusion that Lidstrom has not had the level of competition that the guys from the mid 70's to about 93 did. Consequently he comes off looking better than he is. Put Bourque in his prime years against Lidstrom in his prime years for instance and I don't see Lidstrom winning a Norris. I think the same would be said if you put Park, Howe, Potvin, Robinson or Chelios against Lidstrom.
Lidstrom won his Norris trophies during a weak period for outstanding defencemen. He won against guys who were winding down their careers (Bourque, Chelios) and actually didn't win by many votes over them, relatively speaking.

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore
OILINONTARIO Posted - 11/01/2007 : 17:53:42
Early 80's. Bourque, Potvin, Leetch, Coffey, Langway, MacInnis, Chelios, Howe, Robinson, Larry Murphy, Rick Green, and on and on.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.
fly4apuckguy Posted - 11/01/2007 : 17:42:30
My first thought was, any year Bobby Orr wasn't playing. But to be more specific, maybe the past few years is the most diffcult to pick.

I think Lidstrom is probably the best defenceman of this generation, but in any given season, Pronger, Neidermeyer, and a few other guys with good seasons (McCabe, Boyle, Rafalski, Phaneuf, Zubov, Kaberle, that dork Gonchar, etc.) could challenge.

I think it's more difficult now because there are no real standouts, just a lot of very good players.

Last year, Orr, Park, Bourque, Coffey, MacInnis, Robinson, or Potvin would have won had they been in the league in one of their prime years. In my humble opinion, there is no defenceman playing now that is better than any of the guys on that list. Lidstrom would be closest.
willus3 Posted - 11/01/2007 : 09:37:55
Looking at the Norris voting I'd say there was a stretch from 75-76 to 93-94 that was the closest level of competition. In that stretch, every year there were about 3 or 4 guys, sometimes 5, in the running for the Norris.
Through those years you had these outstanding defencemen:
Potvin
Robinson
Savard
Lapointe
Park
Howe
Bourque
Langway
Coffey
Stevens
Chelios
MacInnis

Pretty stiif competition through those years.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page